Thread: "MOUSE LAG FIX" will half your FPS.

"MOUSE LAG FIX" will half your FPS.

I have been playing for close to a month, and after building a new computer and still getting 10 FPS in some zones, and complaining to my guildies about FPS lag problems for the last month I finally stumbled across the "Mouse lag" thread here on this forum.

I am not ranting or pointing fingers or anything.

I simply want everyone to know that if you are having FPS/graphics lag, and you turned this on at some point you should TURN IT OFF. My FPS more than doubled when I turned it off.

I turned it on when I re-started AO because back in the beggining mouse lag was bad. Thinking it couldn't hurt I turned it on in the beggining and ever since have had horrible FPS and not ONE person had mentioned to me to try turning it off to improve FPS. This tells me its not common knowledge, and it should be.

Therefore, tell your friends, tell your relatives, tell your org members, tell everyone. If you have bad graphics lag, check to make sure you don't have this on.

Once again, this is not a rant, just a post to help all the FPS disgruntled people like me out there who have heard nothing about this, and may have "Mouse Lag Fix" turned on, and have in no way realized that its nuking your FPS.

Sky
    Last edited by Skysurf; May 16th, 2004 at 09:34:15.

Mmm, yes, this fix seems to have opposite effect for some. If turning this off improves your performance, could you post what gfx card and drivers you have? Would be interesting to see whether that's the common factor.

I think it's same everywhere. I have R9700pro, right now after I logged to OA I'm at 47 FPS. When I turn the fix on, I drop to 28.

Would be interesting to know how exactly it works...
    "Many philosophical problems are caused by such things as the simple inability to shut up."
    I am Luciesa - Octowuss - Ssupotco

still addicted since 2001-07-03 11:55:38

By the way... You didn't discover America Sky This is well known - at least to some people... But of course doesn't hurt to repeat, I'm sure many people will be happy
    "Many philosophical problems are caused by such things as the simple inability to shut up."

Originally posted by Octopuss
    By the way... You didn't discover America Sky This is well known - at least to some people... But of course doesn't hurt to repeat, I'm sure many people will be happy
    Originally posted by Skysurf
    ...Once again, this is not a rant, just a post to help all the FPS disgruntled people like me out there who have heard nothing about this, and may have "Mouse Lag Fix" turned on, and have in no way realized that its nuking your FPS...
    Octopuss, his last paragraph pretty much disclaims discovering anything new. So I doubt and disagree with your statement. He was just pointing out something which could have POSSIBLY been overlooked by certain people like himself. No need to beat your chest! ;p

Something I found helpful was to go to a populated area within the game and bring up your FPS status. Open up ingame options and toggle each setting, looking for a noticeable drop or gain in performance. The mouse lag fix is one of the definite heavy hitters on my system too. 9800 pro 128meg Omega 2.5.36a drivers.

I'm not beating any part of my body! It was just a friendly comment

I know I didn't discover America, but no one ever told ME about the mouse lag fix problem! /sniffle =/

Full system info incomming Cz.

Brother is on his comp now, so I have to wait for him to get on it, and ill compile a full list of all tech details for the situation.

Sky

Originally posted by Octopuss
    I'm not beating any part of my body! It was just a friendly comment
    Sorry, Octopuss

thanks for posting this! I didnt know about the mouse lag fix thing, and I had that selected ( like you, thinking it wouldnt hurt to have it on). Turned it off and it has helped so far!

"Evil is always possible. Goodness is a difficulty."
    Anne Rice

Zenna, Babygrand, Zoefix

Quote Originally Posted by Zenna
    thanks for posting this! I didnt know about the mouse lag fix thing, and I had that selected ( like you, thinking it wouldnt hurt to have it on). Turned it off and it has helped so far!

You Necromancer
    Apocalypse 'Redux' Now

Corpse was nothing but bones too. Wonder if she noticed it was a year ago May 14...
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorathon View Post
    Wouldn't it be better if all the attributes were combined into one skill called "goodness?"

okay, i DEFINITELY dont know about this 'lag fix' might try it out later after work and to see if it fixes my problems : AO's sudden log out, with graphical glitches [see thru walls, invisible people]
    Member of Atlas Shrugged

Decisive - Level 83 Engineer / Rimor [Equip, Slayer twink-zors]
    Concise - Level 75 Enforcer / Rimor [Hecklers]
    Precise - Level 60 Enforcer / Rimor [Mantis Twink 3k AC]
    Nforlain - Gimped Level 53 Soldier / Rimor
    Distrupt - Level 16 Soldier / Rimor [Perennium twink]

Solitus RulezZ :P

to bring this topic up..

yesterday i upgraded to an athlon 64 3000+ with 1gb ram, but with the same graphic card (geforce 3, 64mb).

with my old pc (athlon 1ghz, 512mb) i didn't use mouse fix lag and had no problems.
    now with my new one, if i turn it off i get stuttery graphics (25+ fps tho), moving is reacting slow.
    Turning mouse fix lag on fixes that but in certain areas (cities) my fps drops by half.
    Any way to fix the laggy graphics besides that?
    Ventor: lvl 220 PVP-Engi (RK-2)...
    Edenbeast: lvl 129 adv
    Linchpin: lvl 32 agent
    Innerspirit: lvl 136 doc
    Trifixion: lvl 1 trader (froob transfer acct)

I remember reading about this a while ago, but I forgot about it. I'm gonna try it when I get home but, How can I tell how many FPS I'm getting in-game?
    Thanks.
    Joe "Sefus" Werkit 212/17
    Squad Commander - PR - Recruitment
    3305 Local

Quote Originally Posted by Sefus
    I remember reading about this a while ago, but I forgot about it. I'm gonna try it when I get home but, How can I tell how many FPS I'm getting in-game?
    Thanks.
    press ctrl-alt-f

yeah I guess it does work. I would'nt say half tho (at least not in my case)
    Had 10.3 with mouse lag fix on and 16.x without. So there was some improvement. and yes my comp suxx0r.
    Joe "Sefus" Werkit 212/17
    Squad Commander - PR - Recruitment
    3305 Local

Well the problem is i without the mouse lag fix the game is almost unplayable for me.
    Didn't change graphics card, only new mobo/cpu/ram...
    I wonder why that is?

I seem to have the opposite happen when i turn off mouse lag fix which is very strange.When i turn it off i lag real bad when running around,choppy.Doesn;'t seem to be server lag but in the card.I had same problem with my previouse card nvidia mx440 and now i use gf 6200.With it off my fps goes up to like 20-30 avg but when i turn it on it cuts it in half like 10-15avg.Basically when i have the mouse
    lag fix set on it runs better than having it off at 20-30fps.Iv'e tryed everything i can to fix this adjusting settings.It does it on lowest graphic settings to.So if anyone has had this problem and knows a fix please post a solution this is very annoying.I can live with the mouse laggin but when i run around and lag with slow mouse this is a problem.