Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Snowglobe's AO Terminology List

Originally posted by Xephydes
    "AE - the Aegan playfield on Rubi-Ka"

I know I'm picky, but it's called "Aegean"
    Tiny correction here, not sure what they really intended to call it, since on the exit from Athen it says Aegan, but when you enter the actual zone it says Aegean (Yeah I did check it )

Keep up the great work Snowglobe
    Rubber "Zhoknerfer" Critducky - Gear & Perks - Level 210 :: 11 - Opifex Martial Artist Guru
    Rubber "Xephydes" Ducky - Level 214 :: 2 - Nanomage Meta-Physicist Deity - Clan Meta-Physicist since February 19th, 2002
    Rubber "Premortem" Stabducky - TL5 :: 7 Opifex Shade

On extended leave... Awaiting Lost Eden I guess

Arcane Circle

WoW: Premortem, Night Elf Rogue, Draenor EU Server

Originally posted by Snowglobe

I've never quite understood the idea of auras actually. Since they restart as soon as they're finished how are they functionally different from a continuous buff? Is there a gap in coverage in between when one cycle stops and the next one begins? There doesn't appear to be. Is there someone who can provide an authoritative definition of auras?

All submissions are noted and will be added to the master list when I update next.
    The reason it's an "aura" is because it's a buff that only buffs those in your general vicinity. The reason it isn't permanent is because an "aura" is only supposed to effect those in your general vicinity. If a team aura was permanent how would it be decided when the aura should end? When someone leaves the team? To encourage teamwork and generally sticking together the idea of vicinity buffs were introduced thus the aura came about.

At least that's my take on it.

n. pl. au·ras or au·rae (ôr)
    An invisible breath, emanation, or radiation.
    A distinctive but intangible quality that seems to surround a person or thing; atmosphere: An aura of defeat pervaded the candidate's headquarters.
    Pathology. A sensation, as of a cold breeze or a bright light, that precedes the onset of certain disorders, such as an epileptic seizure or an attack of migraine.

AMS = Augmented Mirror Shield (The new and improved TMS)
    YVW = you're very welcome
    Last edited by Avon; Jun 23rd, 2004 at 22:05:13.

Originally posted by Avon

The reason it's an "aura" is because it's a buff that only buffs those in your general vicinity. The reason it isn't permanent is because an "aura" is only supposed to effect those in your general vicinity. If a team aura was permanent how would it be decided when the aura should end? When someone leaves the team? To encourage teamwork and generally sticking together the idea of vicinity buffs were introduced thus the aura came about.
    Thanks for the answer. I thought team auras stayed with you as long as you were in the team like other team buffs, never noticed you had to be near the caster also. My engineer auras (which are called "sympathetics" for some reason) work in the vicinity but they work on anyone nearby whether they're in the team or not. I guess making them into team buffs was so they didn't annoy people nearby like my sympathetics sometimes do.

according to dev's on the crat forums the AOE auras are a massive challenge on the system. and with most auras there is small delay, the advie wolf one is 8 sec inbetween refreshes.
    Acardia Level 220 Pistolero- hit 220 in Org City
    Adolphus Level 215 Dictator
    Festamus Level 220 Hammer Swinging trox with pets

Before you loose everything it's good to realize that life is beautiful.

List updated. Added the following entries:

AMS = Augmented Mirror Shield, the Shadowlands extension of soldier's Total Mirror Shield nano line

barrel - Spirit Tech Apparatus, a part used in the making of perennium weapons, is sometimes called a "barrel" since it produces the barrel of the weapon

BBB - Blinded Blackbird, an SMG weapon for fixers and soldiers that drops in Crypt of Home dungeon

crispies - Crispy Chiroptera, a 1he weapon from Crypt of Home dungeon

dragon - 1. people sometimes call Spinetooth mobs "dragons" 2. Tarasque, the dragon in the Camelot dungeon

FSS - Fine Smith Shattergun, a trader only shotgun found in Shadowlands

kk - OK

keke - cute way of saying OK

leet speak - a style of chat using intentional misspellings and substituting numbers for letters, taken to extremes it can be almost unreadable (Example: VV|-|@+ |)0 j00 |v|3@n j00 |<@|\|+ u|\||)3rZ+@|\||) |V|3? Translation: What do you mean you can't understand me?)

legos - Deathless Legionnaires, skeletal mobs in ToTW which drop Frost Scythe of the Legionnaire

merlin armor - collectively refers to a type of armor found in Inferno, so called because it mentions "Merlin" in the description (Examples: Moon Watcher Helmet, Vest of Torpid Sunrays)

mud - 1. mudurlugu, a trader only shotgun found in Shadowlands 2. multi-user dungeon, MUDs are text based RPGs played online, they were the predecessor of graphical MMORPGs like AO

puppy - probably referring to the Guardian of Tomorrow, a large robotic dog mob in TotW

STA - Spirit Tech Apparatus, a part used in the making of perennium weapons, sometimes called a "barrel" since it produces the barrel of the weapon

TBH - to be honest

TT-Treatment Transfer, a doctor's perk which casts a +60 treatment buff which stacks with SFA, requires level 201 to receive

YVW = you're very welcome

:) :( ;) :p :D - these and other variations too numerous to list are emoticons, used to indicate facial expressions in chat, turn your head to the left and you will see smiling and frowning faces emerge (Examples: :) or :-) = basic smile, :( = frown, ;) = wink, :p = toungue sticking out, :D = big grin)

^_^ -_- ^_- x_X O_o - horizontal "Japanese style" emoticons, they're intended to resemble faces (Examples: O_o = shocked, ^_- = wink, x_X = dead, -_- = sad or sleeping, \^_^/ = victory)

<3 - a valentine heart turned on it's side
    Last edited by Snowglobe; Jul 7th, 2004 at 05:06:26.

ARK

First, I'll admit I didn't read every response so maybe this has been addressed, apologies if it has...

I'm pretty sure ARK stands for: Assistant of Rubi-Ka

Re: ARK

Originally posted by Zaxsan
    First, I'll admit I didn't read every response so maybe this has been addressed, apologies if it has...

I'm pretty sure ARK stands for: Assistant of Rubi-Ka
    Close. It stands for Advisors of Rubi-Ka. Thanks for pointing out the omission though. I updated the entry.

Dragon- also refers to the lag lizard morph the advies have.
    Kitty- Sabertooth nano line
    ECT.
    Acardia Level 220 Pistolero- hit 220 in Org City
    Adolphus Level 215 Dictator
    Festamus Level 220 Hammer Swinging trox with pets

Before you loose everything it's good to realize that life is beautiful.

Added the following entries:

stacking - a technique used by teams with bureaucrats to maximize the advantage of the crat's short term xp buffs, the team will damage 1 mob until it is near death and stop attacking, the crat will calm or charm it and the team will go on to the next one, when there are two or more mobs down to almost no health the crat will use the short term XP buff and the team will proceed to kill the mobs gaining a massive amount of XP, this can be tricky and fairly dangerous to do

spam - 1. to recast a nano repeatedly, post something repeatedly to chat, or in general do anything repeatedly 2. a general computing term for unwanted junk email

dragon - 3. adventurer's Calia's Form: Pit Lizard morph

kitty - adventurer's Grinning Hunter sabertooth morph

List updated. Added the following entries:

clicks - each hit (or miss) of a weapon may be refereed to as a click (example: I get 7 clicks from my weapon between each fling shot)

JEPP - Jobe Explorer Personal Pistol, a rare adventurer-only pistol found in Shadowlands

JOTH - Joy of the Hunt, the lower QL version of JOTR

JSPP - Jobe Surveyor Personal Pistol, The lower quality version of the JEPP

SMG - 2. Syndicate Messenger Gun, a high level fixer-only weapon found in Shadowlands

Originally posted by Snowglobe

keke - cute way of saying OK
    sorry, but this is incorrect. "keke" originated from the annals of Battle.net back when there were so many freaking Koreans. Instead of saying "lol" or "hehe" they would say "keke".

Originally posted by Bacillus
    sorry, but this is incorrect. "keke" originated from the annals of Battle.net back when there were so many freaking Koreans. Instead of saying "lol" or "hehe" they would say "keke".
    Thanks for the correction. Here's the new entry:

keke - a expression of Korean origin popularized on Battle.net indicating laughter

Hey, Snow!

If you're still updating the Ubah List of Life, please add the definition of "proc." I've been coming the lingo pages and haven't found it (it's driving me mad :^).

Thanks much for your continued efforts! Fabulous job! :^D
    "I got tired of killing. I got tired of Omni. Basically, I just got tired. Now I freelance. Better hours, and you get to keep the change."
    - Agentehks

proc is a programmer's term, short for process, meaning to produce an effect of some sort at random intervals, for instance a weapon that randomly produces a stun every now and then can be said to "proc a stun"

Also adding the first two AI terms to the list I've heard in common usage, the first of many to come I'm sure:

CC - city controller, the central device in an AI city, if the CC is damaged by aliens beyond a certain point it must be repaired before the city will fully function again

HQ - headquarters, a meeting hall-like building in an AI city, an HQ must be present before any other buildings can be put down

Me bows down before Snowglobe and proclaims her to be the gardian of all slang.............................

totally and truley a great list...... been playing 3 years and looiing it over I found def's to common slang that I have seen/used and never really knew the meanings (just knew when they should/could be used :P )

thanks
    Bids made from me or recived to me are valid for 7 days

Through me the way into the suffering city,
    Through me the way to the eternal pain,
    Through me the way that runs among the lost.
    Justice urged on my high artificer;
    My maker was divine authority,
    The highest wisdom, and the primal love.
    Before me nothing but eternal things were made,
    And I endure eternally.
    Abandon every hope, ye who enter here.

Achiever 86%, Killer 60%, Explorer 40%, Socializer 13%

You have pron... but no BFE (or BFD and BFG for that matter)?
    You have BOHICA and SNAFU... but no TARFU?

l8r,
    Idtant
    If a plethora of members of the player community continuously complain about a bug that affects every (casting) class, then why is the player community not being asked how to recreate the problem so that it can be fixed? Why is the problem just being blatantly, consistantly ignored?

Quote Originally Posted by frostblast
    in short, the nt situation is a mix of a monthy pytom movie with a snuff film.

Quote Originally Posted by Idtant
    You have pron... but no BFE (or BFD and BFG for that matter)?
    You have BOHICA and SNAFU... but no TARFU?
    The goal is to list terms in common usage in AO that might be confusing to players. If you feel any of those terms are in common usage in AO submit definitions and I'll add them.

somethign to think about it the abbreviations people used to refer to heckler hunting spots in different zones

for example if you are clan and in adonis the spots are referred to as se-n, se-s, se-canyon and ne-n, ne-s.

These are relative positions to the exit from the garden followed by teh part of the heckler brink run - so se-n is South East from garden exit and then the north part of the brink
    If my fortunes torment me, my hopes shall content me.

Member of Eternal Fury :: Good players welcome to apply!

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll add those in the next update.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowglobe
    The goal is to list terms in common usage in AO that might be confusing to players. If you feel any of those terms are in common usage in AO submit definitions and I'll add them.
    Well, when it comes to common usage in AO:

TARFU comes up anytime an NT logs in-game or opens the profession boards (Things Are Really...).
    If a plethora of members of the player community continuously complain about a bug that affects every (casting) class, then why is the player community not being asked how to recreate the problem so that it can be fixed? Why is the problem just being blatantly, consistantly ignored?

Quote Originally Posted by frostblast
    in short, the nt situation is a mix of a monthy pytom movie with a snuff film.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast