Thread: The token system

The token system

A weakness in the current token system allows players to gain a large number of tokens at low level, simply by causing themselves to lose exp after gaining the token, to avoid leveling...

I doubt this is how tokens are intended to be earned...

One simple workaround would be to have an exp bonus attached to the tokens, credited to your exp total when adding the token to your board, and not lost if you die.

Thus "forcing" a player to gain levels along with tokens, to prevent "farming".
    Seid. Clan Nano Technician, Atlantean
    Proud member of Opposing Force ( Website )
    Seid's Hideout : Home of the Friends List Tool
    I would like to see a mail system in AO, for letters, money and goods, and with mail order !

Termination can never be an exploit. Never, if you think otherwise try it yourself. At lvl 6 you can only do one, maybe two missions without levelling, then you spend 3-5 mins going through the resurrection prossess. If you are very experienced in AO you can make 4-6 tokens per hour played, not taking into account the time needed to 'up' your char to be that effective. After 10 tokens you start getting bored, after 30 you get dissapointed not getting the 30 token bonus before lvl 15 and after 60 missions/terminations you feel desperate for gaining a lvl After 120 you are close to insanity and there you will start to calculate how many tokens you will get while levelling up to lvl 100. And the answer is around 4-500 at lvl 100 if only doing missions, which leaves you with only 5-600 missions to do after lvl 100 (regarded all missions provide a token which they don't off course).

Let it go, there is no easy way to get that 1000 token board since tokens where removed as automatic mission reward in the early days. FC did a good fix on this one and it is ok the way it works now.

1 - 2 000 missions at lvl6 = 15 - 40 000 kills, 2 - 6 000 000 xp lost, 400 - 1000 playing hrs = 100 - 250 days / 4hrs/day.

And once again - termination is NOT an exploit. Never has someone been considered an exploiter for loosing xp.

Nanogater
    NT = Nerfed Technician

My doctor told me I am paranoid, so I shot him.

Obviously he was an alien agent sent here to kill me...and he did not come alone!

And now I heard that there is a cap to gaining tokens.....

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...497#post240497

Must read...
    Suel, ADV, RK2
    Omni, my body is yours... But not my freedom.

Please forgive my frenchy english.

they could just make it so that when you get a token you are automatically saved...

Farming was when you did missions with all greys in the newbie yards to get hella big amounts of tokens easily.
    No one HAS to level, though. If they went through the mission, did what they were supposed to do, what does leveling have to do with it? They earned the token.
    "By the way, if anyone here is in marketing or advertising: kill yourself." --Bill Hicks
    "Have we turned into gerbils? People are paying money to walk up invisible steps over and over again." --Dennis Leary

/terminating not just for tokens.

There are many reasons to /terminate in this game in order to prevent levelling, and tokens are just one of these. If you level too fast and get ahead of your equipment, you won't have enough cash to support your new levels. So you take some time out, level slowly by suicide, gather cash and equipment, you'll be set. This is not necessary if you have rich benefactors, of course.

At any rate, token farming in its current state is not quite the same as it was during the past. It's time consuming, and takes quite a bit of patience. It's an insane goal, but many are willing to slog through hundreds of newbie missions for the reward they would not otherwise see if they levelled at a normal rate. Let me tell you, it's not easy and it certainly isn't fun.

And really, when a person can't solo missions after level 100, how are we supposed to get a 1000 token board? Or even 500? My MA is at level 54 with 170 tokens. And you know, I spent a lot of time during level 40s, /terminating and losing experience so I could save up money for certain items AND gather a few extra tokens. I didn't get anywhere near the amount my newbie would gather in the same time period. And why is that? Missions take a whole hell of a lot longer around level 40, and they get even worse as you go on.

So tell me why I shouldn't gather tokens and /terminate with my level 6? What's to stop me from taking my newbie, at the point where she's ready to level, and throw her into the path of a charging Hammer Breeder? She dies, loses exp, and is back to square one. But there's the problem -- the potential to lose experience is always there, no matter what you do. It's supposed to be that way to make the game more exciting.

Also, causing someone to save every time they gather a token would theoretically decrease the peril of travelling to 25% and mayhem zones for missions. Funcom would not like that.

I realize that token farming might be looked upon as an "exploit" by some, but the rate at which one can collect tokens decreases drastically as you level. It'd be nice to know how many tokens Funcom thinks a player should have at any given level, and how they think we're supposed to get them.

I'm not saying it should be easy, but at the rate of my NT and MA, I'll be spending a ton of time at level 200 doing level 200 missions so I can fill up my token board. And I don't even want to think about soloing level 200 missions, even at level 200.
    Babette, Frenetic, Misophist, Yardleigh.
    "I am the queen of France!!!"

Rejected.
    Ah, L'Amour!
    Bitter Films

I hear you...but I would rather see additional ways to gain tokens, especially at higher levels.

As missions grow in size, maybe there could be hidden subplots or bonus missions within those huge dungeons...

The bigger the dungeon, the more possible bonus items...

Let's say a special NPC is reputed to want a special kind of item. You happen across that item while slogging thru a HUGE mission...

You pick it up and bring it to the NPC and WAHEY ... extra token.

Some extra travelling invoved and of course you would have to know what NPC's want what, but it would keep you a bit more awake in missions and decrease boredom ?

One piece of good news is that team missions will gain tokens for all members if a token is awarded...not quite yet tho
    Seid. Clan Nano Technician, Atlantean
    Proud member of Opposing Force ( Website )
    Seid's Hideout : Home of the Friends List Tool
    I would like to see a mail system in AO, for letters, money and goods, and with mail order !

Originally posted by Seid
    One piece of good news is that team missions will gain tokens for all members if a token is awarded...not quite yet tho
    Is this fact or just a wish ?
    NT = Nerfed Technician

Obviously he was an alien agent sent here to kill me...and he did not come alone!

Originally posted by Nanogater

Is this fact or just a wish ?
    I can't say for sure that it is a fact, as that would be a promise of something we're not sure we're gonna make that way. However, it is how we currently would like team missions to work - with regards to tokens - when fully implemented.

So there, that was diplomatic enough, wasn't it? No promises.

Cz

Originally posted by Cz
    I can't say for sure that it is a fact, as that would be a promise of something we're not sure we're gonna make that way. However, it is how we currently would like team missions to work - with regards to tokens - when fully implemented.
    That would certainly be a welcome change and make the prospect of grouping for missions more desirable. Currently, unless I want to do a hard mission for an item, there's no real incentive to do team missions! Except for the fact that you can't really solo them after XX level.

This would definitely be a great thing to implement.

Rejected.
    Ah, L'Amour!
    Bitter Films

Token farming isnt a cheat or anything. I think the real problem is that its so hard to get them at higher levels. They should award more tokens for missions at higher levels, and award mission tokens for killing certain high level bad guys and the like.

I think an average character should be able to get the 500 board by level 200 but as it stands you have to token farm, because you get an average of 2-3 per level if you do nothing but missions your whole career and who wants that?

Giving tokens to all team members inside mission area would be a great improvement, much more fun doing team missions at higher lvls - you can't promise this feature but plz do whatever you can to have this implemented - a real team insentive
    NT = Nerfed Technician

Hahah.

Nanogater, I love your signature. Just had to tell you that.

*snicker*

Rejected.
    Ah, L'Amour!
    Bitter Films

Hmm I had always thought that everyone in a team mission was supposed to get a token but it was currently broken. I see that was not the case, but I hope that it would get implimented soon.

-Ballpin