Thread: At What Price Liberation?

Independent Reporters of Rubi-Ka Editor: IRRK's Avatar

At What Price Liberation?

At What Price Liberation?
    Korev Jurik

(IRRK) - On the heels of the Nanomage Liberation Front's march on the Omni-Mining operations at Clon****, the controversy surrounding this group has heightened. Reporter Korev Jurik investigates the NLF's motivations, and their opposition.

"They're causing problems for our employees in Clon****," say Omni-Pol officers Twink and Wildcardz. "And their attempt to plant bombs...let's just say they aren't 'eco-warriors'."

These two officers of the law show an opinion common among Omni-Tek employees -- the Nanomage Liberation Front is a band of terrorists, trying to stop the machinery of the Omni-Tek mining operations. "They claim that Omni-Tek is using up too much notum," Twink explains, "but I can assure you that OT is watching the effect the notum mining is having on the environment."

Omni-Mining [IC] director Swiftmind has her own feelings about the Front. "They indeed have interesting beliefs," she says. "But they are not sound. The NLF have branded themselves as terrorists through their many violent and hostile actions. They continue to destroy and murder civilians of Omni-Tek."

At an unproductive meeting with leaders of the Nanomage Liberation Front, Swiftmind says Omni-Mining presented what they felt were realistic responses to the organization's demands in an attempt to arrange a peace with the group. "Instead," she says, "they ignore all logical thinking and continue with their violent ways."

Interestingly, the Clans seem not to have had many encounters with the Nanomage Liberation Front. "They are reclusive and unfriendly,", says Szentasha, head of the Clan Unity of the Rose. "They just stand around complaining...all bark and no bite."

And what do the Front themselves have to say about these claims? To find out, I attempted to track down the secretive leadership of the Nanomage Liberation Front. In the end, I found myself speaking with Ravick, one of the members of the organization.

"If you truly wish to understand," Ravick told me, "watch what is happening to this world. Watch what your people have done and are doing to our planet. Look around you. Look at the ground, look at the sky...they don't understand why they should die for the rest of the galaxy."

Ravick led me to the Front's leader, a female nanomage called Fleshreaper who has little love for the Omni-Tek corporation. "As a pawn in [Omni-Tek's] so-called 'negotiations'," she says, "and as a prisoner of Omni-Mining for the last year, I have little respect for them, or their 'concessions'."

Claiming that the NLF is a nominally peaceful organization forced to fight against those who created the nanomage breed, Fleshreaper sees little distinction between Omni and Clan. To her, both are enemies of her people. "The Clans are as greedy as their former Omni masters, make no mistake. The Clans and Omni will tell you that they are fighting a war of ideals, but they are not. The Clans care little for the plight of the nanomage, or Rubi-Ka herself for that matter. They proved this as soon as mining became open to them. They are as bad an offender as their so-called enemy. Their only salvation is the fact that they do not ship notum off-world. For the most part, anyway."

Perhaps a peace could be forged between Omni-Mining and the Nanomage Liberation Front. When presented with a hypothetical sitation involving Omni-Mining reducing mining operations and apologizing for the harm they may have caused to the Nanomage population, Fleshreaper mentioned that she would consider ceasing hostilities with Omni-Tek. But for now, this controversial organization is likely to remain just as controversial, and perhaps just as threatening.

over 95% of the Nanomage Liberation Front's actions are peaceful and meant to spread the word about our plight. On the rare occasion we are forced into direct conflict out of desperate self defence and for this some have branded us terrorists. We are freedom fighters and defenders of our home, Rubi-Ka!
    Aazamon General of the Nanomage Liberation Front

28973 The first Homo Nano is born in an Omni-Tek laboratory. The inclusion of trace notum into the DNA sequencing of Nano foetuses means that this breed is able to live only on Rubi-Ka.

Until all are free!

We are recruiting

The Nanomage Liberation Front

Originally posted by Aazamon
    over 95% of the Nanomage Liberation Front's actions are peaceful and meant to spread the word about our plight.
    I demand a recount. I've never seen anything come out of your mouths that can be constituted as peaceful; you are always throwing threats around like it was your weight at the All-You-Can-Eat-Bronto-Burger-Night. Your actions have been no more peaceful.

I mean, here are just a few choice examples; and there's plenty more examples in Grid posts themselves, and in other Grid threads.

Your lies are beginning to fall on deaf ears, and it's showing your effort in this sequence of tirades is only pitting more people against you rather than with you.

Still though, Omni-Tek still cares for you and would love to see you with the corporation; back at your origin, the birthplace of your race. Work with us on such ventures as the Nanomage Environmental Suit project and the work the Infinite Circle is doing for the greater good of Homo Nano and Rubi-Ka.

Aazamon, really, come on home.
    Last edited by Cosmik; Apr 26th, 2004 at 07:36:11.

Some noob with a plan to

1. Steal thongs
    2. ?????
    3. Dance!

(And why can't I use my proper name of "Cosmik"? OMGORZ! Nerf!!)

My words are found at n3rfed

I agree with Cosmik. As I have said before, The Nanomage Liberation Front is hardly peaceful. Perhaps you got your labels wrong Aazamon; 95% hostile, 5% peaceful sounds more correct.

Cosmik has found some very good examples of NLF actions. Indeed there are many more. I would say that the hostility is 100%, but I must admit they have done one peaceful action. The supposed peace talks some time ago. Yes these talks were highly unproductive and lead no where, but it was a peaceful action. Yet even in this process, the NLF members bickered about false allegations and paranoid beliefs. They hardly even listened to the Omni-Mining representative and excused all logical thought. Thus it is apparent the NLF are not capable of true peaceful intentions.

The tiny nanomage girl reads the news flash, then shakes her head and sits down on the floor again in her messy cheap jobe apartment.
    I'll think about this while recharging...
    She then plugs herself back in onto the hi-voltage main cable she has somehow manage to both hijack and tap in to.
    Is it a nanomage mind in an organic host inside a cybernetic body or is it an artificial intelligence in a mechanical vessel covered with organic tissue?

-Frida Langley - "Nanomage/Machine Freak"
    Vector Blue
    Infinite Circle [IC]: An OT roleplaying alliance on RK1

Want to know more about who Frida are?
    Look here, here, here, here, here and here.

The face of a doll. The mind of a child. The reputation of a murderer. Come play with me...

Seriously, your freedom fighter lies are getting old arent they?
    Wake up and see what you have become...
    Proud agent of the Disciples of Omni-Tek

Commissioner of the RKDC

"One should not lose one's temper unless one is certain of getting more and more angry to the end."
    William Butler Yeats

Oh, I don't know...

...perhaps they have become a small representation of an entire race of people (myself included) that are deeply concerned about the level of notum depletion on this planet, which of course is the very bedrock of our existence. Terrorist in your parlance is freedom fighter in mine, since our two sides do not agree with one another about the impact of said loss of notum on Rubi-Ka.

I doubt very seriously that any sort of environmental impact study was ever proposed on Rubi-Ka in regards to the loss of notum in such huge amounts, much less an actual study or something. Oh, why bother? Once we mine all of the notum from this little planet, what do we need those pesky but very powerful nanomages for anyway? They are just an abomination we won't need once we have used them up like your bathroom tissue after a plate full of eggs and beans.

Regardless of what OT thinks, the NLF has very legitimate concerns that are never addressed by OT, and as a result of these deep non-concerns, take arms up to have their views addressed. Freedom fighters, yes they are. For all nanomages. Even surely an OT nanomage must at least have to think about the consequences of the loss of notum on this planet. When an independent study shows me that their is no concern whatsoever about the eventual drain of this very life-giving element on this planet, then I'm sure there won't be a need for the NLF to even exist. But until that day...
    -----------------------------------
    The few, the proud...the Traders.

Maartens - 220 Mogul and former gadfly of Rimor. Now I'm just a major n00b.

In defeat, malice. In victory, revenge!

Legitimate?

Theyre concerns have no roots in any research what so ever. The Notum Mining operations throughout Rubi Ka by all sides are safely done and all tests shows there will be Notum enough for the Nano-Mage breed to live here forever.

The whole NLF is a de****kable terrorist organisation witch will stop at nothing to destroy others businesses. Why they do it? To secure theyre race? Not in a million years. These scumbags are using theyre racial flaw to ensure a larger piece of the cake for themselfs.

You all think thats a disgusting thought? Indeed it is. It even scares me slightly that such people exists.....
    Proud agent of the Disciples of Omni-Tek

Commissioner of the RKDC

"One should not lose one's temper unless one is certain of getting more and more angry to the end."
    William Butler Yeats

Hmmmm...

I don't buy it, Naef, sorry.

"All tests" indicate nothing of the kind. The only test data I have seen comes from the NLF itself and it paints quite a different picture than what you are saying. Where is your raw data showing this? How long did this study take and over what time frame are we referring to? Can we assume that the proper sampling rates were used for the number of sites that are currently being exploited?

No, I have seen NOTHING in regards to this. As I am a tradeskiller and have LOTS of training in scientific testing, statistics and engineering principles, not to mention logic and semantics, I'm not swayed by the blanket statements that come from people that have vested interests in keeping the status quo. What I want to see is the test case, the population study, the data points being observed, and if I need to continue explaining the methodology used to conduct a proper scientific survey and properly catagorize, analyze and display it's findings, I will go on.

Simply stated, I've heard two sides to this argument, and so far they are 100% diametrically opposed. You know, I'm thinking...usually the side that is concerned with the safety and posterity of a race is going to be more believable than the common pilferers, buccaneers and highwaymen that suck this planet dry of it's one element that makes living here necessary for an entire race of people. It's a Solomonic solution set, really.

Want to know how this looks? Two men stand outside of Borealis, claiming to be Jesus. Only one of them must be wrong, nicht war? Show me some REAL data, not the stinky pile of doo-doo from OT's "science" department, since I believe they have a bit of a conflict of interest thing going on here. Don't you?
    The few, the proud...the Traders.

Maartens - 220 Mogul and former gadfly of Rimor. Now I'm just a major n00b.

In defeat, malice. In victory, revenge!