Thread: Night Terrors

Night Terrors

Background

April 4, 29478

Tisantous: “He has seen you... Unole. He is coming for you... he creeps in the shadows where you sleep... be wary” He places a hand on her shoulder.
    Unole: She begins to shiver as a chill goes down her spine. “Who, Sir?”
    Tisantous: “Surround yourself with the most security you can find... you will know him by the red glow in his eyes. He is a demon.”
    Unole: shudders. “Sir... I assure you, I don't know what you're talking about.”
    Tisantous: “No.. you don’t, but he knows of you. And he wants to claim you as his own.”
    Unole: “You must be mistaken.” She trembles. “You MUST be mistaken, Sir. I am no one.”
    Tisantous: “Oh noo, I have the records on hand.. there is no mistaking this character. When he sets his eyes upon his...” he cringes as he says, “victims.. there is no mistake.”
    Unole: “No. I'm certain that you are wrong, Sir. You must mean someone else.” Her eyes begin to shine with moisture.
    Tisantous: “I have done my part my dear... I have given you warning.. I have already said too much.. I can feel him near.. I must go.”
    Unole: protests. “I am only a waitress, of no value to anyone.” She begins to back away, frightened. “I should go, too.”
    Tisantous: “Be well, and stay in the guarding of light. Do not close your eyes for a second”

April 9, 29478

Demoneyes, acting on his threat to perma-kill Unole, bites her and infects her with a nano virus at Rompa Bar. Xserter and Sephiroth05 chase him. The Kenley Family supplies Miremeld with a serum to treat Unole’s bite. Unole is shaken, but otherwise seems to be alright.

April 12, 29478

Rozo visits Rompa Bar to see Unole and have dinner. He notices that Unole is frequently scratching her throat where Demoneyes bit her. He looks and sees that the area is slightly red. He takes a blood sample and some skin scrapings and asks her about the wound. She tells him that she has been treated with a serum that is supposed to stop the infection. Rozo’s tests, however, reveal that the nano virus is merely dormant.

April 14, 29478

After a party at Rompa’s, hostessed and DJ’d by Sensuality, things slow down. Unole finds time to sit and talk with friends. Tisantous arrives and approaches Unole. He peers into her eyes. “He is in there.. behind your eyes.. resting, but slowly eating away I take it, I can tell.. I know this virus all too well.” Rozo, taking Tisantous’ words as warning takes Unole to his lab in Rome. There he takes more samples of blood and scrapings from the wound site. Unole goes home after and falls into a fitful sleep filled with images of banquets of blood and flesh and the fears of mortals.
    Last edited by Unole; Apr 19th, 2004 at 03:37:36.

Chapter1, First Manifestation

April 17, Part 1

Blackswords and Unole meet outside her apartment He’s done some more research on her home planet and wants to talk to her.. She is checking her storage and cleaning out her inventory looking for her favorite pair of jeans. Blackswords sneaks up behind her.

]Blackswords: “Got ya.”

Unole: laughs, startled. “You!”

Blackswords: ”Me”

Unole: ”What does one do with you? And your got-ya’s!””

Blackswords: ”Depends on what you want to do. As for the got-ya’s, you just need to be more aware of who’s around.”

Unole: shakes out her hair and smoothes it back from her face. “Well. I suppose you're right.”

Blackswords: offers Unole a swimsuit.

Unole: laughs as she looks at the swimsuit Blackswords hands her. “Do I need one of those? I think you gave me one already.” She grins. “In fact, I'm sure of it.”

Blackswords: ”heck I can't remember how many I have tossed here and there.”

Unole: laughs

Blackswords: ”I wear this armor and helmet far too much”

Unole: ”I think everyone feels that way about their armor.” Searches through her wardrobe and finds a duplicate of the suit Blackswords showed her. “I knew I had one of those suits. And I'm sure it came from you.” She smiles

Blackswords: Blackswords removes his armor. “How do you like my Uniform?”

Unole: ”Oh! Very nice! Yes. Nice.” Scowls “I can't find my jeans.”

Blackswords: ”Sorry don't have a spare set”

Unole: ”Found them!” She waves them in the air like a prize trophy, then smiles. “I wear my uniform too much.” She quickly dashes into her room and changes.

Blackswords: ”Nice.” He smiles as she walks out of her room.

Unole: smiles. “Thank you. I'm comfortable now. It's not too... um... well... I hope it's not inappropriate.” She blushes.

Blackswords: ”I wear my armor so much I forget I wear it...As it cleans itself and me I never am Bothered with wearing it all the time. As for inappropriate it looks like a grade "A" gland thumping outfit to me so I like it.”

Unole: smiles and blushes. “Oh. I assume that 'gland thumping' is ok?”

Blackswords: ”Let’s just say you have my total Attention... in all things.”

Unole: blushes deep crimson. She raises a hand and scratches absently at her throat. “Well. Shall we find somewhere to have some coffee and talk?”

Blackswords: ”Sure...But you have coffee if you like Cola will do me fine.”

Blackswords: peers at the rough spot on her neck

Unole: All right. Where would you like to go?” She notices Blackswords looking at her neck and jerks her hand away “I really have to stop that. It's getting to be an irritating habit.”

Blackswords: ”Hmmmm. Nasty rash there on the neck”

Unole: frowns slightly. “I got bit.”

Blackswords: ”May I try something?”

Unole: ”Um. Well, the last time you wanted to try something...” She blushes then nods. “I suppose.” She stands a little nervously.

Blackswords: He chuckled. "Okay, Okay. Just some herbal meds.”

Unole: ”Oh! Sure.” She smiles.

Blackswords: digs in his Pack and pulls out some jars until he finds the one he's looking for. Opens the jar and a Fragrance of several Herbs is smelt...He dabbles some onto his Fingers and then smears it gently onto the rash.

Unole: flinches a little “Ooo. What is it?”

Blackswords: ”Cold?”

Unole: nods. “A little.”

Blackswords: ”Various healing herbs and some standard medical nanos. They mesh well. I have many little herb concoctions I have made”

Unole: ”Mmm. Tingles a bit, doesn't it?”

Blackswords: ”Yep but several of the herbs deaden the nerves for several days...depending on how deep the herbs can get.”

Unole: ”I see. I've had several treatments for this.” She gestures at her throat.

Blackswords: ”This Unguent is one I should leave sealed.” He gestures at a Red Container in his Bag.

Unole: ”Sealed? Why? What is it for?”

Blackswords: ”Umm... Just better that way... it's... well... it's...” He Blushes.

Unole: tilts her head, eyes questioning.

Blackswords: ”Lets just say if I open it I don't want to be around as the temptations would be too much.”

Unole: ”You've made me curious.” She laughs. “But perhaps I'm better not knowing.”

Blackswords: ”Its a pheromone enhancer. Male.”

Unole: ”A... Oh!” She blushes. “Well, then. I suppose you should save it for an important... occasion.” She points to a bench in the Backyard. “Should we sit?” Blackswords doesn’t hear her suggestion.

Blackswords: ”Yep. It turns women on…who smell it... I thought it’d be a great skin treatment, so I wore it into Reet’s Retreat one night...”

Unole: looks at Blackswords. “That must have been interesting.”

Blackswords: ”I got away in tattered clothes....”

Unole: ”Oh, dear! Should we go somewhere, sit or walk or…” She shrugs

Blackswords: ”Well your choice. I'm flexible.”

Unole: ”There MUST be better places than by the bank terminal.” She grins. “There's a nice park in Entertainment.”

Blackswords: ”Hmmm yep....”

Unole: ”Or... a comfortable place to sit at the advanced store. Or...” She shrugs again. “I'm not really sure where.”

Blackswords: ”Well if you like we can sit in my Lux Apt in Jobe Harbor?”

Unole: smiles. “I'm fine with that.”

Blackswords: ”To Jobe then.”

April 17, Part 2

At Blacksword’s Jobe Luxury Apartment. John’s occupation with herbs and plant based concoctions is well demonstrated by an extensive collection of flora growing in various pots and containers on his terrace. The door to the Terrace is open. A barely perceptible breeze carries in the fragrances of the plants.

Blackswords: ”Ah Home. Seen my Patio Garden?”

Unole: ”I was just looking at it. It's lovely.”

Blackswords: ”Thank you. I try.”

Unole: ”You did very well.”

Blackswords: ”They also serve as the base for some of my unguents.”

Unole: smiles. “You're very clever, aren't you?”

Blackswords: ”I try to be.” He indicates the corner where the glass walls meet. Two chairs and a small table sit there. “This is my favorite spot to sit and watch.” They move to the corner and look out over Jobe Harbor.

Unole: ”This is a beautiful view.”

Blackswords: He chuckles. “I see an even more beautiful one in the chair next to me.”

Unole: blushes deeply. She looks at her hands and fidgets, a shy smile on her lips.”

Blackswords: digs into his bag and pulls out the jar of ointment he used on Unole's neck. “Here, take it I can make more.”

Unole: ”Thank you.” She takes the proffered jar. “I appreciate this. It does seem to help with the itch.”

Blackswords: gets an odd look on his face and digs for another jar. He pulls out a Blue jar.

Unole: looks at the blue jar curiously

Blackswords: ”Here this is a kind of perfume...mostly flowers’ oils mixed. Smell it and tell me what you think.” He hands her the jar.

Unole: takes the jar, removes the lid and lifts it to her face. She closes her eyes and takes a breath. Her eyes open, a delighted smile lights her face. “It's lovely. Sweet, but not too heavy. Very nice.”

Blackswords: ”Keep it, too. It’s just for skin cream. At least for a male.”

Unole: ”For me? Oh! That's very generous of you.”

Blackswords: shrugs. “Well I'd never use it...”

Unole: looks up. She wonders.

Blackswords: quirks his Eyes. “What?”

Unole: ”What do you mean by, ‘at least for a male’?"

Blackswords: ”Well it makes you smell like flowers for several hours.”

Unole: ”Oh. I see.” She smiles. ‘Not a bad way to smell.”

Blackswords: ”Not like the red stuff.”

Unole: smiles again

Blackswords: places the bag on the table and lets it sit there. “Hmmm well.... Oh I dug more on your Home world.... and found some things...”

Unole: removes the lid from the jar, takes a small amount on her fingers and touches her wrist, the inside of her elbow and the nape of her neck. She looks up. “’Oh?”

Blackswords: ”Yes.”

Unole: ”What more could you find out about my world?”

Blackswords: ”How many slave revolts have there ever been on your world?”

Unole: ”Or what used to be my world. None, John.”

Blackswords: ”Or how many have you heard of.”

Unole: ”No one has heard of any. If there were revolts, it had to be over a thousand generations ago. That's how far the breeding records go back.”

Blackswords: Pulls out a data pad “Well the masters have and they Kept Records.... and they happened several times...the last was less than 40 years ago.”

Unole: tilts her head a little to the right. “Where did you find this information?”

Blackswords: ”You can look for yourself.... as for where, it was in your ancestor’s data files for his family...”

Unole: ”I don't understand.”

Blackswords: ”They have security well enough to stop Slaves from finding it, but not someone who is looking for it.”

Unole: ”But the Masters on Houme do nothing, John. They provide for us, but the records keepers are slaves. The Masters are... well, they are the Masters. Slaves do everything for them. It must be another planet called Houme.”

Blackswords: ”They keep records so they can program the slaves right. As it seems every few generations they need to change the mental control techniques as the newest generation of slave can beat it.”

Unole: shakes her head

Blackswords: ”Thus another revolt...and I didn't make it up...as I have your gene line listed here.”

Unole: ”There is no mental control, John. We are born to serve. Bred to serve well. I...” She looks confused. “I have never heard of such a thing.”

Blackswords: ”This is your grandfather's name...Right here...”

Unole: looks. “Where?”

Blackswords: taps the data card

Unole: looks at the data card looking for her grandsire's designation. Her eyes stop at one name, the name of her grandsire, Ahanu, meaning ‘he laughs’ in the old language. “This... it looks like my lineage, but... I see no mention of mind control or revolutionaries.” She shakes her head. “It must be wrong.”

Blackswords: ”This is the Breeding list.”

Unole: ”I will admit that it looks like a pedigree, John. It even looks like mine. But if this came from a world where slaves revolt, then it must be a coincidence.”

Blackswords: ”This is the Termination record of him as he was a leader of the revolt at the time.”

Unole: smiles indulgently. “John, many slaves are terminated rather than force them to outlive their usefulness. That would be a cruelty beyond comprehension. A slave with no purpose is nothing.”

Blackswords: ”Well this man was terminated because he Killed 427 masters and broke the conditioning of the time on nearly 43,021 slaves.”

Unole: ”Oh, John. I think I would have heard of that. That kind of news would travel quickly, and we would all feel shame.”

Blackswords: ”Why would the masters tell a Slave this data? If a revolt happened would you look to see why?”

Unole: ”If a revolt happened, there are a thousand times as many slaves to squash the revolution than you have named. It would be slaves who put the revolution down to protect the beloved Masters.”

Blackswords: ”Yes, that's why they failed.... Not enough were freed to beat the numbers arrayed against them.”

Unole: ”Such a thing would shock and shame us all. We would know if any of us went to war. We would know if someone tried to harm our Masters.” She lowers her eyes. “My failure was known instantly by all.”

Blackswords: ”And you'd try to make up for it.... by making sure such things never happen again by looking into…”

Unole: ”By looking into? What?”

Blackswords: ”You look into the revolt why it happened...so you can make sure it never happens again.”

Unole: sighs. “Yes... If there was a revolt, the Academicians would study the cause and effect. They would come up with a way to prevent the recurrence of the ... situation.”

Blackswords: ”And then they'd look further into the past...right....”

Unole: nods. “They would study all available records as far back as our history goes. But... John...”

Blackswords: ”Till they found out that the Masters where the Security Guards to a Penal colony and the slaves the Prisoners…”

Unole: ”The Academicians are also slaves.” She frowns thinking of Blackswords comment. “If you mean that the Masters were set to watch over us in the beginning, to aid us in becoming what we are... That is no secret.”

Blackswords: taps the data Pad.... to show a Fortress like Building covered with Gold and artwork...The Masters Government House... “Does that Building look familiar? Does the Building look familiar Unole? Have you seen this Building Before?”

Unole: leans forward and looks at the picture. She shakes her head. “I have seen something similar, but our buildings are lovely in color. This is so drab.”

Blackswords: ”This is your Planets Capital building. This is where your master rule from.”

Unole: ”I'm sorry, John. This is not the way I know it.” Her lips tighten into a straight line as she thinks.

Blackswords: ”Well, how about this same image taken last year of the same building? No longer looks like a fortress Drab does it.... not under the Artwork and metal glitter.”

Unole: looks again at a building similar to the previous one. She sees what she identifies as a walled garden where precious statues stand. She recognizes graceful glass spires rising from the center. She picks out the gate where she entered regularly. “This is our ruling body's court.”

Blackswords: ”They're the same aren't they...just several centuries of change have covered it.”

Unole: ”More than several centuries, John. We have come far since the picture you showed me first.”

Blackswords: ”Yes...now look at the original construction Blueprints.”

Unole: looks at a tangle of lines then at John. “Yes? What about it?”

Blackswords: leans over to tap the blueprints on screen and leans back bumping the bag accidentally. “Drat!”

Unole: ”I... don't ... OH...! You've dropped...” She leans down to pick up the fallen bag. She lifts it from the floor and hands it to Blackswords with a smile.

Blackswords: watches as the red jar falls out as Unole lifts the pack and falls open as it hits the floor. “DAMN!!”

Unole: ”Oh! I'm so sorry... I....”

Blackswords: Quickly scoops up the Jar and seals it. “Oh...man Unole sorry just remember its just a chemical reaction...”

April 17, Part 3

Unole: turns her eyes back to John. Slowly her eyes change from warm acceptance to a chill glare. “Just... a... chem...” Her eyes glisten as if filled with shattered glass. She narrows her eyes, thrusting the pack at John. “Take this.”

Blackswords: ”Yes Pheromones... It… er... Just your not in your right mind under its smell...” He grabs the bag.

Unole: slowly slides a blade from her pack.

Blackswords: ”Unole?”

Unole: rises from her chair and steps toward Blackswords slowly bringing the blade forward.

Blackswords: ”Um? “What the?”

Unole: stops suddenly, blinks and looks down at her hand. “Oh. I... what?”

Blackswords: drops his bag and looks ready to grab the hand with the Blade.

Unole: raises her eyes to John's face

Blackswords: ”Are you okay?”

Unole: ”I... Uh, I...”

Blackswords: ”What where you going to do?”

Unole: feels her heart race, her stomach churns. She looks at the blade in her hand. She speaks in a low, slow voice. “I ... don't know. I... My apologies, John.”

Blackswords: ”It looked like you wanted to attack me.”

Unole: turns away and slides the blade back into its sheath in the pack. She feels a residual ire begin to rise again. She pushes it down, with effort. She puts her pack down and walks to the window, out of reach of John, out of reach of the blade.

Blackswords: ”What happened... You weren't planning on carving my Uniform off where you.?”

Unole: 's eyes shine momentarily with a reddish glint. She shakes her head and stares silently out the window.

Blackswords: ”Unole...”

Unole: pushes her hair out of her face. “Yes, John?” She thinks about her feelings just moments before, baffled.

Blackswords: ”You had rage in the eyes... something in the jar made it come out didn't it...”

Unole: ”In the jar... Yes. Perhaps. It was not good.”

Blackswords: ”It was rage...and hate it seemed.”

Unole: feels herself begin to grow warm. “Yes.” Her confusion is evident. “It... seemed like it.”

Blackswords: ”But you’re bred not to get angry right.”

Unole: rubs her forehead, trying to clear her thoughts. “No. I mean, yes. We are bred not to. Well, we can get angry, but not violent. I... I think I almost... I wanted to... But that can't be.”

Blackswords: ”Seems that you wanted to hurt me... with your knife...”

Unole: scratches her throat absently “It couldn't be.”

Blackswords: ”Hmmm”

Unole: ”I... just a momentary aberration, John.”

Blackswords: grabs Unole’s Pack and sets it near him.

Unole: returns to her seat, her face showing distress.

Blackswords: ”You need more unguent for the neck?”

Unole: shakes her head. “I'm fine. It doesn't itch.”

Blackswords: ”Hmm....”

Unole: puts a hand to her throat, laying her fingers against to rash. “It's just... I haven't quite been myself. So much has happened. So much... stress. I...” She sighs. “Never mind.” She lifts her face and attempts a smile.

Blackswords: reaches into his bag and fiddles inside it for a second watching Unole intently.

Unole: smiles, though not warmly.

Blackswords: ”Well I’ll keep your pack over her for a sec if you don't mind..”

Unole: Her eyes narrow again, a reddish glint becoming a glow.

Blackswords: ”Uh oh...”

Unole: clasps her hands in her lap, twisting her fingers together.

Blackswords: ”Um, Unole?”

Unole: begins to rise...

Blackswords: stands up and takes a defensive stance.

Unole: Her smile fades. Her face shows confusion. “Perhaps I should ... leave.”

Blackswords: ”No...this is interesting...”

Unole: Her eyes lose the red glow, becoming a soft brown again. “What is interesting?”

Blackswords: ”Um...do you feel the need to tackle a man at all?”

Unole: pushes an obsessive impulse down, making a visible effort at control. She swallows and breathes deeply. “Tackle.. a man? I... don't know what you mean.”

Blackswords: ”er....do you feel like you want to......”

Unole: Her eyes begin to glow again, reddish, her skin flushes. Her lips curve upward in a sinister smile. “Do you?”

Blackswords: ”Oh dear... Um...”

Unole: reaches behind her head and lifts up her hair, letting the cool air at her neck.

Blackswords: ”Oh...er...maybe you should take a bath and cool down a bit.”

Unole: lowers her eyes and turns her gaze toward Blackswords, peering from beneath thick dark lashes. She suddenly freezes, expression going blank, eyes closing. She shakes her head.

Blackswords: ”Okay... Do you remember anything that just happened there?”

Unole: nods, blushing deep crimson. “I should leave. I feel... odd.”

Blackswords: ”Um... Okay...”

Unole: rises from her chair and starts to walk toward the door, then stumbles.

Blackswords: ”Unole you okay?”

Unole: turns back and looks at John. She takes a step toward John and stops.

Blackswords: looks on with worry..

Unole: looks into his eyes intently.

Unole: ”You ... did you do something to me?” She takes another step closer. Her eyes are soft warm brown, gleaming in the light.

Blackswords: ”I did Nothing but the Jar was opened accidentally the first time....the rage made me wonder what happened as you didn't react as others do...so I opened it again for a few more seconds to see what would happen.”

Unole: nods. “I thought...”

Blackswords: ”You thought?”

Unole: starts to take a step away from Blackswords. She stumbles and falls. “Oh, dear. I seem to have lost my balance.” She rises slowly.

Blackswords: catches her and breaks her fall then helps her to her feet. “You okay?”

Unole: ”I'll just sit for a bit, I think. If you don't mind.”

Blackswords: ”I don't mind.”

Unole: looks into Blackswords’ eyes, breathes deeply taking in his scent.

Blackswords: “Let me go lock up the red jar...”

Unole: ”I don't feel quite like myself.” She shakes.

Blackswords: picks up the red jar from his bag and carries it to a paneled cabinet. He places the jar behind a Panel and closes it.

Unole: rests her face in her hands and trembles.

Blackswords: ”Kinda looked like you wanted to do things there Feeling better, Unole?”

Unole: closes her eyes and turns her senses inward. She senses threads of darkness working their way through her being. “I don't know. I still feel a little... odd.”

Blackswords: ”Hmm.... One sec..”

Unole: opens her eyes wide as Blackswords morphs into a two headed dog. “What?”

Blackswords: sniffs carefully...

Unole: leaps from the chair and stumbles back.

Blackswords: places a Gentle Paw on her leg and pins her lightly so he can get a good sniff. Both heads shake and a low growl is heard. He returns to his natural form.

Unole: ”John... I don't think you should stand too close.” She resists the feelings trying to force their way into her conciousness.

Blackswords: grabs her shoulder as she tries to get away...

Unole: her breath catches in her throat and she tries to back away.

Blackswords: ”Look at me...”

Unole: shakes her head. “I'd rather not, John. Please.”

Blackswords: ”Unole Look at me.”

Unole: slowly raises her eyes to John's

Blackswords: Eyes glow an eerie bluish light in them. “I can smell you within her. Leave her Be.”

Unole: looks puzzled. “What are you saying? Who? Who are you talking about?” Her eyes flash with mild anger. She remembers Tisantous accusation. She snaps at Blackswords. “You and that Tisantous.”

Blackswords: ”I'm talking to the nano virus that has Infected you and is slowly rewriting who you are....so you become him.”

Unole: ”You're talking about that... that creature that bit me?”

Blackswords: ”Yes.”

Unole: ”I will tell you what I have told everyone. I'm fine.” Her face registers puzzlement. “At least... I was fine. Your jar!” She jerks away angrily. “Your jar has unsettled me.”

Blackswords: reaches up and touches her neck at the rash with his hand glowing Blue.....

Unole: flinches away

Blackswords: speaks in the control voice. “Stand still.”

Unole: mutters incoherently. Her eyes narrow. Her lips draw back in a sneer. She puts her hands against Blackswords' chest and pushes. “I think it's best I leave.”

Blackswords: ”She is unwilling.....let her go...I will carry you...” He speaks to the entity within Unole.

Unole: ”Before one of us find reason to regret.” She picks up her pack and turns to leave. She smiles coldly. “Have no fear, John. Your time will come.”

Blackswords: stuns her

Unole: falls, shaking her head to clear it. She puts a hand out and stands slowly.

Blackswords: ”Lets just see what a pool of pure liquid notum does to you...A pool of Life...”

Unole: looks at Blackswords, eyes innocent of all but the need to find a place to become calm.

Blackswords: ”Unole you need to lay in a notum rift and the liquid notum it makes...”

Unole: ”I need to find a quiet place. There's too much...” She gestures around her. “Too much here.”

Blackswords: ”A place of quiet and holiness”

Unole: ”I have to go, John.”

Blackswords: ”Let me take you to a Rift...”

Unole: ”No, John. Already I'm too uncomfortable to rest. And I need to rest.”

Blackswords: scoops her up into his arms.

Unole: ”John, let go, please.” She feels the tendrils of darkness reaching. She struggles within herself to push them down.

Blackswords: ”I don't trust what has infected you...”

Unole: ”It is treatable, John. It's under control.”

Blackswords: ”Let me try one last thing.”

Unole: sighs. “Let me go, John. Let me go and find some peace. I'm confused. I'm frightened. I need to go!”

Blackswords: ”I know..”

Unole: pushes against Blackswords. He sets her down.

Blackswords: ”Do you trust me?”

Unole: ”It's not a question of trust. I need... I must leave. I'm sorry.”

Blackswords: ”Yes but that which is within you wants you to be alone so it can fight you and win.”

Unole: pulls away and walks toward the door. She stops without turning back and says, ”It can't win, John. There is nothing there. It's a fairy tale to frighten children. It's a rash. I need to think. I'll talk to you again, but later.” She walks out the door into the streets of Jobe Harbor.

First combat

She makes a call to Master Rozo hoping that he can help her understand what has happened. She needs to understand the feelings she’s never felt, the depth at which they touched her. Most of all, she needs to understand this darkness that seems to possess her at times. The red jar seems to have triggered something hiding within Unole. Now she must learn to deal with it.

Unole: ”Welcome, Sir. After you.”

Rozo: ”Do you have anyplace I can hang my Robe, Sweetie?”

Unole: ”Yes, Sir.” She presses a button and a panel slides back revealing a small closet.

Rozo: puts the Robe in the small opening. “Thank you Unole.” He smiles.

Unole: ”Thank you for coming, Master Rozo.”

Rozo: ”You sounded shaken. I was worried for you.”

Unole: ”I... I'm afraid. I won't deny it.”

Rozo: ”Tell me what happened. And breathe... it will help control the flow of emotion”

Unole: ”I have a friend... someone I met through Kajira. Rather, because of Kajira.”

Unole: nods

Unole: takes several deep breaths to calm herself.

Rozo: takes Unole's hand and rubs it to soothe her. He listens attentively.

Unole: ”His name is John ‘Blackswords’ Rm He's been doing research on Houme.” She smiles slightly and shakes her head.

Rozo: continues rubbing Unole's hand to reassure her

Unole: ”I don't know where he gets his information, but he claims there was a slave revolution on Houme. But that is not what bothers me, Sir.”

Rozo: ”What is it that bothers you.... I have a Tranq Stim if you need.”

Unole: ”No, Master Rozo. I'm fine. Really. Only a little shaken.” She closes her eyes, remembering. She shudders then forces herself to continue. “While we were talking he ... gave me these.”

Rozo: takes his hand away and looks to see what Unole is presenting him

Unole: rummages in her pack and pulls out two jars. One plain containing an innocuous herbal ointment which she hands to Rozo. “This is an ointment he gave me for my ... um ... rash.” She gestures at her throat.

Rozo: looks. “Has it helped you relieve Discomfort?” He removes the lid and sniffs. “Gah.... smells like rotting bronto fat”

Unole: ”Really? I hadn't noticed. It tingles a bit when I first apply it but it does soothe the itch. It does, however, make the wound site turn this horrible black color.” She tilts her head to show Rozo how the wound site is discolored.

Rozo: ”That is Tissue Necrosis”

Unole: 's eyes widen. “That sounds horrible!”

Rozo: ”It killed the Tissue at the site of application.”

Unole: turns a blue jar in her hands. “Is this good, Sir? I mean, this tissue nec...”

Rozo: ”I will need to Immediately take a scraping to see how deep.”

Unole: ”Oh.”

Rozo: ”If it is too deep, it will become gangrenous.”

Unole: ”Oh, my. He said it is a common side effect and it does soothe. I had no idea.”

Rozo: ”My lab in Rome was broken into recently.... but I have some Plas-skin in my cooler at home.

Rozo: ”Common side effect...” He looks closer. “And the Blue jar?”

Unole: raises the blue jar. “This is purely harmless. It is merely a scented ointment.” She removes the lid and holds it out.

Rozo: ”What ... is...... it?” He sniffs. He wafts the smell with his hands. “MmmMmm. I like that.”

Unole: smiles. “I do too. It smells very pleasant. It's very nice on the skin, too.” She holds out her wrist where the fragrance of flowers still lingers.

Rozo: smells Unole's wrist

Rozo: ”But, I suspect that these ointments aren't what upset you.”

Unole: ”No. It's not these ointments.” She sets the blue jar aside and sighs, eyes downcast. “There was another ointment. A red jar.”

Rozo: ”Another... ointment. What was the effect of it?”

Unole: ”It... he said it was a male pheromone enhancer. To make himself more attractive.” She smiles remembering Blackswords’ story.

Rozo: ”I see...”

Unole: ”He said it worked too well and he's not able to use it. But... The jar fell from his pack and the lid came off and...” She takes a deep breath, shame clear on her face.

Rozo: ”... and then?”

Unole: ”I became so angry, Sir. I drew my blade and...”

Rozo: raises an eyebrow

Unole: ”I believe I would have killed him. I...” She covers her face with her hands and closes her eyes. “I have never felt anything like that, Master Rozo.”

Rozo: ”It's ok little Unole. Just take a deep breath.”

Unole: breathes deeply, in and out, trying to remain calm.

Rozo: pulls Unole to him and cradles her to comfort her. “Breath deeply.”

Unole: ”It was as if... I felt as though a darkness tried to fill me. Not just anger, Sir. Something so far beyond my experience I have no name for it. John was frightened. I could see it in him.”

Rozo: ”That was Anger in it's purest form. It felt as if it were solid and real, did it not little one?”

Unole: nods. “Yes, sir.”

Rozo: ”As if it could take shape and leap from you of its own accord?”

Unole: nods. ”Yes. But... there was something else behind it, Master Rozo.”

Rozo: ”As if it were Alive on its Own? This worries me. That is the Anger that Me and Tomaas channel to summon Demons.”

Unole: ”Or, more so, that I would become IT.”

Rozo: frowns.

Unole: ”It only lasted a few seconds, Sir. But it was... disturbing.”

Rozo: ”For you to feel it... and not have the training to shape it... there is no telling how it may manifest. \I will need to speak to Tomaas about this, and we will need to decide what can be done. Never allow this..... John RM to bring that substance near you again.”

Unole: shakes her head. “John put the jar far away from me, sir. I do not believe that he wants me near that jar.”

Rozo: ”Continue describing.”

Unole: ”But, Master Rozo, what of the thing that felt as if it were...”

Rozo: ”It feels as if it is Alive within you?”

Unole: ”The other thing... yes. The... something else. John said some strange things. He...”

Rozo: holds Unole's hand and listens

Unole: ”There was a point where I felt contempt for him. I wanted him to... I wanted to be...”

Rozo: ”Destroy Him?”

Unole: blushes deeply. Her voice becomes small and quiet. “Enslave him, Master Rozo.” Her eyes leak tears.

Rozo: looks startled

Rozo: holds Unole to his shoulder, cradling her head

Unole: ”He commanded me to look into his eyes. They glowed... his eyes... glowed.”

Rozo: ”Like Mine, or different?”

Unole: closes her eyes and accepts the safety of Rozo's embrace. “Something like yours, Master Rozo, only he is Solitus. I could feel him looking into me, almost the way Tisantous did.”

Rozo: strokes Unole's hair as he listens, trying to Imagine. “That is very strange. I know of no known nano-programs that do those things to a Solitus.” He narrows his eyes.

Unole: ”And his words were nearly the same. He said, ‘I see you in her.’ He spoke to me, but not to me.”

Rozo: scratches his chin

Unole: ”He wanted me to lay in a notum pool. He thought it would purify me.”

Rozo: ”It will not, If the Anger is preparing to manifest.... or even worse... taken a Life of its own… The notum will Empower it and it will manifest. As you have seem me and Tomaas manifest Demons.”

Unole: ”What is frightening, Sir, is that I started to feel that way again, without the aid of his red jar. I had to leave.”
    Last edited by Unole; Apr 19th, 2004 at 04:34:18.

Facing The Beast

Rozo: ”This is very worrisome. I am not certain as to what is happening. I am hoping that there isn't another entity within you.”

Unole: ”He told me that he saw something else... I accused him of... telling tales.”

Rozo: looks at Unole curiously. He looks into her eyes seeing nothing that is not Unole. He makes a decision and quickly slaps Unole then grabs her head and stares into her eyes.

Unole: gasps with shock, draws back and stares at Rozo. Her expression hardens, her eyes begin to glitter like broken glass. Her eyes take on a red glow momentarily and her mouth begins to form a sneer.

Rozo's expression twists into shock. “Who are you?”

Unole: jumps up and moves away, her eyes softening, her face registering shock and confusion. “I am Unole, Master Rozo.”

Rozo: ”It is true little one. There is another behind your eyes.” He frowns. “I am at a loss as to what to do. Whatever it is, is feeding off of your anger... and possibly off of you. I do not know what to do. This is no simple Virus.”

Unole: shakes her head. “There is no other, Sir. There can't be!” She starts to weep silently.

Rozo: ”I do not know what we are dealing with. Perhaps we can teach you to control it. Much like me and Tomaas control the demons of our past.”

Unole’s expression is one of grief. “But... this is not right, Sir.”

Rozo: holds Unole close

Unole: ”It's NOT RIGHT!”

Rozo: ”Shhh.. shh .shhh. It will be alright. We'll figure out something.”

Unole: lays her face against Rozo's chest and weeps.

Rozo: ”In the mean time, we will need to re-start your meditations so that you may control this... this... this whatever it is.”

Unole: 's arms go 'round Rozo and she leans closer, a fragrance of flowers fills the air as her skin warms. “As you wish.”

Rozo: ”And if at ANY time you feel it come upon you, and the shadows envelop you...”

Unole: voice is soft, subtly different. “I will tell you.”

Rozo: 's muscles relax. “Good.” He smiles.

Unole: presses a little closer, she rubs her cheek against the fabric of Rozo's shirt.

Rozo: ”Everything will be alright. We'll think of something...”

Unole: 's lips curve in an indulgent smile, her eyes close. “Mmm-hummm.”

Rozo: strokes Unole's cheek then, noticing the difference coming over her, he tightens up.

Unole: ”I'm sure we'll think of ... something.”

Rozo: squirms.... fighting the attraction welling up within him

Unole: stands close, pressed the length of Rozo's body, her hands firmly against his back. She sighs deeply as she begins to feel his power.

Rozo: His heart begins to beat more rapidly. “Are you feeling...” he stutters. “... all right, little one?”

Unole: presses herself tighter against Rozo and begins to draw on him, feeding her own need for the power he possesses in abundance. She sighs with contentment. She strokes Rozo's back, muttering softly. “Hmmm, yess... I feel jusst... fine.”

Rozo: is visibly nervous... uncertain how to react. “Let us sit. Tell me how you met this... John Rm.”

Unole: loses physical contact with Rozo. A feeling of loss lodges deep inher spirit. Her eyes clear and she realizes what has happened. She blushes. Her face reflects shame. “Oh! Oh, I'm so sorry.”

Rozo: smiles. “Come. Sit.”

Unole: steps back, unable to bring herself closer for fear of hurting her teacher. She weeps. “I... I can't.”

Rozo: ”What is it little one?”

Unole: sobs... frightened, filled with feelings she doesn't understand.

Rozo: pretends that nothing happened..... uncertain of how to proceed. “Tell me what you are feeling, at this moment?”

Unole: ”Ashamed, master.”

Rozo: ”Ashamed of what?”

Unole: retreats to the corner and curls into herself. She shakes her head, unable to answer.

Rozo: ”You know that you can tell me anything.”

Unole: sniffles. “It's not that I won't tell you, Sir. I am not able to tell you.”

Rozo: caresses Unole's cheek, and wipes her tear away.

Unole: cries a softly. “I don't know the answer.”

Rozo: It may be a side effect of that ointment.

Unole: feels something in reaching out for Rozo's power again. She struggles to repress it.

Rozo: ”I want you to call me Immediately if you feel... different...”

Unole: turns to the corner, withdrawing from Rozo's touch. “Now, Sir. I feel wrong, now.”

Rozo: feels his Nanite Cloud being drawn upon... the notum being drawn into Unole.

Unole: ”Something is... wrong.”

Rozo: jumps back. “It is most Definitely feeding.”

Unole: ”You should go, Sir.”

Rozo: ”I do not want you anywhere NEAR raw notum.”

Unole: whimpers, the struggle to repress the wrongness becoming harder.

Rozo: ”Do NOT go into a notum pool. Do not go into the shadow lands. Do not have any notum Infused beverages.”

Unole: nods. “Yes, Sir. I mean, no sir. I... Ohhhh...” She moans in pain, a pain that afflicts the soul.

Rozo: moves quickly, instinctively to protect Unole.

Unole: feels the darkness reach out from her again toward Rozo and she draws tighter into herself.

Rozo: holds Unole and quickly reaches in his pocket for a small scanner-type device and runs the device across Unole's forehead, over her heart, over the wound, and over her NCU.

Unole: moans again

Rozo: looks at the reading.

Rozo: ”We need to get you into a bed.”

Unole: shakes, her eyes close

Rozo: holds Unole and applies a small Hypo to kill pain

Unole: ”Uh-huh.... uhhh.”

Rozo: looks that the readings on his scanner, and administers another hypo.

Unole: fights what she doesn't know. She trembles with the effort of containing whatever is within her.

Rozo: ”That will neutralize the notum in your System... in a few moments... it should cease.” He picks Unole up and places her in the bed.

Rozo: ”Are you feeling a little better Unole?”

Unole: lays on the bed, beads of sweat form on her skin as the struggle continues. She feels the threat grow weaker. “I.. think so.”

Rozo: looks very worried, and confused.

Unole:'s eyes remain closed, her head droops and she slowly begins to drift off into unconsciousness.

Rozo: takes another reading on his scanner. He kisses Unole's forehead and administers a Hypo to himself, slipping into a trance. He extends his right hand, nanofibrils branching out to interface with Unole's NCU. He attempts to move into Unole's Dream state. His mind opens from the psychotropic hypo... as he passes into a deep trance. Interfaced with Unole's NCU, he opens himself up to all she sees and feels... using the NCU as a buffer.

Unole: twitches in her sleep. She moans softly. In her dream she is struggling, fighting to grasp an invisible foe.

Rozo: waits for the visions to come. He probes deeper.

Unole: feels her movements are sluggish, as if she is moving though thick oil.

Rozo: experiences the oily sensation and continues... creating a stronger ling with Unole's NCU

Unole: senses the presence which moves without encumbrance through the viscosity. She reaches for it, her hands move slowly, her muscles strain.

Rozo: reaches to find Unole in the morass

Unole: senses the presence move quickly away from her grasp. She senses a mocking laughter.

Rozo: senses the laughter in the darkness and moves towards it

Unole: feels she must take hold of it or it will take hold of her. She struggles with more urgency to find it and wrestle it into submission.

Rozo: calls out in the darkness... "UNOLE!!"

Unole: 's muscles ache with the effort of moving through the thick medium in which the chase is happening. She hears Master Rozo's voice, but she cannot relent in her chase.

Rozo: senses Unole moving further from him

Unole: focuses her inner senses seeking the being that she has to capture. She feels the presence behind her. She feels it reach for her. She dodges with maddening slowness. She senses the presence miss, then hears its mocking laughter again.

Rozo: probes deeper, desperately trying to reach Unole

Unole: senses the presence toying with her... snatching and missing, then the taunting laughter.

Rozo: hears the laughter and cries out "UNOLE!!". He feels her slipping deeper into the darkness, where he is unable to follow

Unole: runs, the frustration of being unable to move as swiftly as in life draining her energy. She runs... hoping that Master Rozo can find her before the presence captures her.

Rozo: 's anger begins to flare.... his control lessened by the drug he used to achieve the rapid trance. Rozo pushes deeper with the full force of his anger. He searches for Unole desperately in the thick blackness, screaming in rage and frustration

Unole: suddenly realizes that movement is useless. She stops, slowly turns and opens her arms to the rushing presence.

Rozo: screams, "UNOLE!!!!"

Unole: smiles as she senses its surprise, its attempt to stop its rapid advance as she begins to slowly close her arms where it will soon be. She hears its shriek of frustration as its momentum carries it within her closing grasp. She's judged well. It will not escape.

Rozo: feels movement, and rushes towards the pressure... his rage propelling him

Unole: 's arms close on the presence, capturing it. She holds it firmly, strength coming from confidence.

Rozo: senses two within the darkness just beyond him

Unole: feels the creature's rage as it tries to rip itself from her grasp. Dark talons ripping into the flesh of her spirit, bringing intense pain to her awareness. She tightens her embrace on the creature. She makes the pain a part of herself. She takes its strength and makes it her own. She slowly bends, folding her body around and over the creature, bending it to her will.

Rozo: screams in agony.... feeling Unole’s pain. He reaches into the viscous void...... pouring his anger into Unole to strengthen her resolve.

Unole: hears the creatures chilling shriek as she breaks its back. She feels its surrender as she squeezes what passes for breath from its form. She gradually loosens her hold as she feels its struggles weaken. She lets it go. She senses its scuttling, limping flight into the darkness.

Rozo: envelops Unole and pulls her from the void

Unole: feels the air around her lighten. The darkness abates. A sigh escapes her and she falls into a natural sleep.

Rozo: pulls himself from the trance, drenched in sweat and his own blood.... patches of skin missing from his chest. He falls unconscious.

Unole: sleeps, breathing easily and evenly.

Rozo: awakens and lays exhausted, watching Unole as she sleeps

Journal Entry: April 19th, 29478

The evening started off innocently enough..... I had just finished up at my Rome Labs, working with the crew to assess the damage from the recent break in, and determine how much I was in the hole to Omni-Med, when I decided to have dinner and check on Unole. I arrived at Rompa's, perhaps around 7:30pm, and as usual, Unole was there to greet me with my meal. Tonight, she had crab and a nice red wine for me. We spoke for awhile and I observed her. At first, it seemed as if all were well with her, but I noticed that she kept scratching her neck. She seemed evasive, not wanting to admit that there was, indeed something wrong..... and against my better judgement, I accepted that she was functional..... and prepared to eat my meal. I noticed that Jack, The Headless Atrox, seemed agitated... and so I spoke with him. It appears that he may be suffering from a stress-disorder, so I suggested that he take a vacation into the wilds of Rubi-Ka and vent the anger and stress on the dangerous creatures that prowl there. I know big-game hunting has always made me feel better after a stressful week. I was interrupted by a few more Grid-Com calls and finished them as quickly as possible, so that I could enjoy my crab. Perhaps this weekend I should follow my own advice, and go big-game hunting.

I turned to my meal, intent upon eating it in SOME semblance of partial peace..... that plan was thwarted when I heard Unole, in a voice that was NOT characteristic say, "Hungry?". There was something very sinister about the way it was said that chilled me to the bone. Realizing that I would not be finishing my meal, I at LEAST took the wine and drank as quickly as I could to help take the "edge" off of the reality now taking shape just meters from my dinner table. Apparently, one of the Kenleys was also infected with this strange, parasitic nano-virus.... and felt that pestering Unole would be his idea of something to do for the evening. I tried to Calm Unole, but it was obvious that the irritation would continue with his presence there. I summoned the Demon to convince him that it would be in his best interest to step away.... but obviously, this Kenley had his brains addled by this disease. As he kept attempting to approach her, Unole was receding, and this "other" was surfacing... it appeared to be riding the wave of her temper. I continued speaking to Unole..... to try to ease her mind, and dispel her anger. We even sang the Mantra Tomaas taught her, and it seemed to help for a moment. That moment was very short lived. She appeared to fall backwards into the bar table, and grabbed her head in pain. My worry began to intensify.... she was fighting it, but losing. I administered a Tranq Hypo and shouted out for someone to call Omni-Med as I was preparing to monitor her vitals. The Kenley kept trying to get to her neck.

The bar was getting crowded, and people were already beginning to gather around what was destined to soon become a rather violent and gruesome display. The Fool Kenley stepped far too close to Unole, and everyone drew their guns. Captain "Saxon1" from Omni-Pol had just come in for his nightly Foray, but even his intimidating presence was not enough to dissuade Liam "Antibody22" Kenley from trying to get to Unole..

Even though all guns were drawn, and we desired nothing more than to blow his head clean off his shoulders, the supression gas kept most of us at bay. Unole seemed Immune to the effects of the gas, and I thought for a moment....... It was at that point I stopped trying to calm her. If the Kenley wanted to be gutted, so be it. I told Unole to remember her training, and make her blades sing. She slit his throat. A small struggle insued and Captain Saxon as well as the other bar patrons tried to break it up as Unole quickly cut into the Kenley's wrists, slicing him with a zeal and relish that I found most disturbing, but the fool deserved it. I had hoped that the release of her anger into the Kenley would make the Entity subside, and that little Unole would be able to regain control. I was very wrong. The Entity had achieved control of Unole. I was desperate at this point, and injected a drug to purge her blood, neutralizing all of the Notum in her system so that the Entity would have no energy to draw upon for manifestation. It failed to work. The Entity, in full control of Unole, ran from the bar. The Captain, Myself, and a few others gave chase..... most notably including the Kenley, which should have been dead at that point from having all of his major arteries severed. The sight of him ambling around in that condition was very unsettling, and I couldn't help thinking that I would rather have been on a bronto safari at that particular moment. I pushed past people in my best attempt to persue the Captain and the Entity out of Rompa's.

"Saxon1" managed to corner her outside and keep her from fleeing into the streets of Omni-1, as we all converged. He was preparing to detain her. She wasn't speaking like Unole.... babbling something about "how much fun was to be had." She then attempted to isolate "Saxon1" by offering him a "walk in the park"..... he wasn't having any of it, as he knew as well as everyone else, this was uncharacteristic of Unole. There were some exchanges between The Captain and the Kenley, as I pulled out my Med-Com. She was dying. Even worse, it occured to me that, most likely, her reclaim pattern was corrupted and would create a faulty rebuild. If we didn't find a way to stop this degeneration, her soul would be lost. It was at the point of scanning that she lost consciousness.

The Omni-Pol officer was very speedy in his response. He quickly initiated a series of programs to speed his, and my, adrenaline flow.... picked up Unole, and ran with great speed to the Omni-Med building. I had difficulty keeping up with him. As we entered the Omni-Med Clinic, he placed Unole in the Omni-Med Auto-Surgical Clinic to Stabilize her. That only slowed the degeneration. The Kenley was there, and at that point... he taunted us with a Vial. It appeared to be my stolen research. I didn't have time to request that formal charges be brought up, Unole was fading fast. "Saxon1" prepared to deal with the Kenley as I raced frantically to stabilize Unole. Perhaps if we had a real doctor there, she might have lived......

"Saxon1" reminded me that her most recent pattern was scanned and in the clinic computers, and I began retrieving the information. I entered in my Key-Code for classified Information, and requested her pattern. It was an unauthorized use of my clearance, but it was either the choice of disciplinary action and a fine..... or the permanent loss of Unole. I signaled the auto pilot on my Yalmaha to come to the Clinic, as I fininshed uploading Unole's Genome to the lab computers and re-routed her rebuild, again a misuse of my clearance that I will have to explain to the board of directors should it be noted. I left the Omni-Med Clinic as Captain "Saxon1" saw to the Kenley. When I arrived at Omni-Med Rome, the lab cloning terminal had just gotten finished reconstructing Unole's body. She started destabilizing almost immediately as I can only imagine that the two souls within were locked in spiritual combat to control the body... but at least the souls were present in it. I placed the corrupted rebuild of Unole's body in a Cryo-Chamber in the Omni-Med research Facilities in Rome, to house her soul until I can get to Prometheus, and more importantly, get to my research. I have a clue as to where he is hiding. If all goes well, I may be able to recover her by creating a new Body to house her Soul. I am currently going through her tissues with the hope of finding at least ONE viable strand of DNA that is uncorrupted. One that will allow me to Clone a new body for her. As long as Unole remains in the Cryo-Chamber, we will have time to work on seperating her from the Entity and placing her Soul in a new body..... leaving the Entity to die in the old one. That is my plan, at any rate. All that remains now is to relay this news to her Sensei Tomaas, and to Zette. I'm not looking forward to being the bearer of bad tidings.

Today has been hellish. I will definitely need that vacation after all.
    Last edited by Rozo; Apr 21st, 2004 at 06:59:45.

Journal Entry: April 23rd, 29478

Today, I have finally obtained the Spirit Syphon Schematics from one of the Jobe prototypes. The scientists in Jobe wouldn't willingly part with such information, so I was forced to use another avenue to procure it. Those arrangements were made last night, through a friend of Unole's.... "Miremeld". She obtained a favor, and the result was that I was contacted by a man named "Sikkes" earlier today. A rather shady character, this Sikkes, but one must deal with these types when one placed in positions that require such association.... such as I am now. Sikkes was contacted by a Dr. Suitt, and briefed as to what my needs were. I am pleased to say, he was most efficient. I have the Prototype and Schematics in my hands less than 24 hours after the initial request. I paid Handsomely for it..... but it was worth every credit. He also delivered a soul pattern so that I could better understand the device's operation.

I have begun compiling Unole's Genomic information from the left over flesh on a chip that was extracted from her, and kept by Zette. It was most fortuitous, on that chip was a single Stem Cell. The information in that Stem Cell will allow me to completely clone all of Unole's tissues. Since her Reclaim pattern is corrupted, I can't use the conventional methods of Cloning via molecular assembly in a nano-fluidic medium... as is used in Standard Reclaim and Lab Terminals. I will have to use the more outdated methods requiring Cloning Tanks. The cells must be cultured in a liquid nutrient medium, and will take 16 months if a few modifications to the process aren't made. I will be utilizing a collagen scaffolding seeded with stem cells, and I will trigger each stage of tissue growth with nanites creating the proper horomones at specific times. This is a Force-Growing technique, and ironically, the technique that was used to create me several centuries ago. Cloning the body, however, will not be all that is necessary..... as another spirit will take residence in it as soon as it becomes active. I will need to remove the spirit that takes residence in the Clone.... and replace it with Unole's Soul, in addition to separating the tangle of souls in Unole's Original and corrupted body. This is where the Soul Syphon comes in.

I was given the idea yesterday, from a friend while we enjoyed a picnic. She brought up some of my old research on the spirit based technology of the newly discovered parallel world on Rubi-Ka, and we began discussing it.... that's when it struck me. Some of the new Genetically Engineered projects in Jobe use devices to syphon souls and place them within themselves to augment their bodies in ways similar to Cybernetic technologies. I find the whole thing distasteful, but I am forced to do what I must do. I intend to create an array of these devices, modified of course, to imprison all souls within the deteriorating body of Unole, and isolate them. Finding which of them is Unole will be the challenge. I will need to journey into the Spiritual Matrix of the Syphon Array myself, as I remember what her soul is like from interfacing with her in a Dream-State. This will be the most Dangerous part of the procedure, as I will run the risk of permanent death..... but I feel confident that I can fend off the entity or entities, and find Unole. I will also have several contingency routines programmed to retrieve me in the event I cannot.... so the risk of my Death will be minimal.

Once her soul is Identified, I must finally do the unthinkable, and take a Life in order to give a Life. The Cloned Body will have a soul that will need to be evicted. This will be done by modifying the Lab Cloning Terminal to do a destructive scan and disintegrate the newly cloned body. The soul that has taken residence in the body, at that point, will be released..... and all of the Genomic Information of the empty body will be stored, allowing me to create as many bodies for Unole as needed, from now on. The other Entities that were within the Deteriorating body will be kept within the Devices. I will use the Notum Veins to bypass the portals into the shadowlands, and phase into the Garden of Shere..... so that I will be able to slip the devices imprisoning whatever was in Unole past Jobe Security. I will then make a journey to the Brink on foot, and hurl the devices containing the entities into the swirling entropy... to be banished forever.

I am only saddened that I must release the Soul that takes up residence in the Clone in the initial stages, but perhaps it will Incarnate in another way or form in the future. I can't let that deter me from what has to be done. Besides, it's not like I am actually killing it, really..... I am only releasing it. Freeing it. It IS Unole's body, afterall...... I am forced to do this to save her. I have no other choice.

May whatever Power that exists in the Universe have mercy on my Soul.
    Last edited by Rozo; Apr 24th, 2004 at 05:00:45.

I didn’t expect this. I just planned a quiet evening at Rompa’s. Was going to talk to Unole. She hadn’t been around much since Whaynn bought her and the trip I’d planned on taking only a few days turned into a couple of weeks.

Rompa’s was empty when I got there. No customers, no Unole. I checked my chron. Unole was usually there at that hour. I looked around some then sat thinking that Unole and others would begin to show soon. I was right about others, but not Unole. A young girl stopped to talk about a safari she’d been on. My com beeped and I answered. It was a client. He started our conversation by offering condolences. I learned from him that Unole was seriously ill and being kept in stasis by Rozo. I questioned him regarding her illness and I suppose he answered as well as he could. His answers were unsatisfactory, though. I ended the call and contacted Rozo.

Rozo came to the bar so we could talk face to face. He told me what happened to Unole. I have to say that it sounded like some badly written overly melodramatic novel, but he assured me that it was the truth. The actions he described to me were so unlike Unole that I had no choice but to believe that something had happened to her. Whether this thing named Liam ‘Antibody22’ Kenley had anything to do with her... affliction or not, I was sure that he was a primary cause of her losing herself to whatever was in her.

I asked Rozo what he needed to ‘fix’ her. He listed the things he needed and had managed contacts who could provide all but the uncorrupt DNA he would need to rebuild a body for her. That I could supply him by means of an ident chip we removed from her when I took her from Houme. Not only was there remnants of DNA in the bits of flesh clinging to it, but a full genetic map of Unole was included. Her pedigree was also contained in this chip, not that anyone would ever be using it.

Considering that was all that Rozo needed from me, I feel free to pursue my newest pleasure. That of tracking down and eliminating every spawn of this creature ‘Demoneyes.’ Maybe I’ll broaden my view a bit by wreaking havoc among those beings who identify themselves as ‘vampires’ as well. This could be fun. I need to contact that Kenley boy about those special bullets he has.

And I need a bigger gun.

Stasis

What is it like you may ask to be alive but unable to live. I open my eyes and I do not see. I touch my face but I do not feel. I open my mouth and suck in a belly full of air, yet I do not breathe, I do not taste, I do not smell. I wander, never turning yet never coming to an end. Within this darkness there is no direction. How do I know if I walk a straight path or ever turning in circles. Is this darkness limitless, is this an infinite limbo of non-existence. Is this the end of life? Life, that golden road down which we travel to find, as an ancient tell tells, an city of emeralds. And here it ends, and all I’ve found is shattered glass.

The present past

Flashwing sits quietly in his Jobe apartment trying to make sense of all the mess that seemed to be developing around him. On the table sat holographic images of old friends who had come and gone many years ago. There was a question which had haunted him since being told of Unole's condition. Worst of all, it was a question that had no answer.

Could I have saved them all? Why can't I ever make it in time?

Kris couldn't escape his past, and this was no different. Prior to him leaving the company, Kris recalls his friend Illia who was set up by members of the company and killed in a bomb blast which somehow Kris survived. Since then, he couldn't stand to lose anymore friends. Now, he had to face the possible lost of another friend, but one who meant much more to him.

Despite Flash telling himself otherwise, he couldn't help but bear the 100 tons of guilty weight not on his shoulders. Even Unole had a picture on this same table...a table of sorrows it seems. Kris felt guilt over his inability to really do what he wanted, which was get to know Unole for who she was. Since the first few days she was in Rompas, Kris knew she was special...one of a kind. Although years of military style training had not prepared him for any kind of romance or partnership. Those were things he knew nothing about.

Kris recalls a couple quite talks with Unole over tea. Those times were surely one of the last times Kris truely felt happiness. He felt whole, like a complete person. That was something even his work could never do for him. Unole seemed to be full of depth and uniqueness. Qualities which Kris admired as well as sought.

Flashwing put down the holo-vid picture on the table, trying to hold back a sea of emotions which would do nobody any good right now. How could such a terrible force exist on a planet like this? Despite all the wars, all the violence, and all the death...it seems like Rubi-Ka had a habit of killing people who Kris befriended...and one he might have loved.

A wave of anger suddenly spiked, and an overwhemling sensation of helplessness overcame Kris. The quietness was suddenly pierced with a roaring sound of rage as Kris screamed as loud as possible, swiping the holo-vid pictures clean off the table and sending many of them sailing across the room. Immediatly after, he fell to his knees, holding back years of regret and saddness. Maybe if he had been a doctor, or a nano-technician...or maybe a solider he could have stopped what happened to Unole. Maybe...

Thoughts like that were useless, he was an agent...a killer, a spy, and has nothing to lose. If he couldn't have been a doctor, or someone to save Unole...then maybe he can use his talents elsewhere.

Kris picks himself up and marches over to the terminal on his desk which had a new message icon from the public gridfeed. It was from Zette, and she sounded mad. One part of the message stood out to Kris. "Maybe I’ll broaden my view a bit by wreaking havoc among those beings who identify themselves as ‘vampires’ as well."

Kris began typing a private message to Zette, his mind seemed more focused and clear at this point.

Mistress Zetta, this is Kris Somani. Count me in.

Brought back from the Sea of Oblivion

(( OOC: Corn Alert! ))

Unole’s spirit wandered, lost in the dark, limitless limbo between living and dieing. Silence pressed in. She counted each incorporeal footfall for no other reason than to keep her mind from dwelling on the stark loneliness she felt. As she moved through the utter darkness she noticed a sibilant whispering replacing the silence. She stopped and turned in place, her disembodied ears seeking to determine the direction from which the sound came. Should she go toward it, or away? The question became moot as realized the sound came from all sides.

The featureless darkness took on a texture. Tatters of shadow, darker than the dark in which she wandered, overlay the seamless mindscape. The whispers became clearer. Words began to emerge. She heard, "Unole, sssleep,” with a sound like silk across sandpaper. “Sssleep little Unole.” The whisperer’s words encroached upon her awareness. “Like sssmoke... on the water, lay yourself down. Ride the tide of timelessness. Escape the pain, the hopelessness of eternal bondage. Escape to oblivion, little fool."

“Yes,” she thought. “There was peace in oblivion.” She felt herself becoming like smoke... spreading across the dreamscape... little by little. Her mind conjured the image of a body of water, its surface slowly undulating as if covered with a thick layer of oil. Her consciousness reached outward, stretching over oily surface, growing thinner ... she wondered, "Is this the way to oblivion?"

The whisperer told her, "It is the way to peace. It is the way to restfulness." She felt herself grow more insubstantial as she moved toward the promised release. The whisperer laughed. "Yesss," he said. "The way to oblivion, for you. The way to life, for ME!"

In the laughter she recognized the spirit of the entity and understood his intent. She then began to understand the nature of the darkness in which she wandered, the oily 'waters' across which she was spread so thin.

The darkness was a manifestation of her fears. The oily 'waters' were a representation of her hopelessness. Her smoky form was her desire to be free of the grief and the pain that her fear and hopelessness had brought her.

She sensed that allowing herself the promised release would be leaving the entity free to inhabit a corporeal body... her body. It would bring danger to the people who trust in her, who befriended her and of whom she had become so fond. She knew that her friends, thinking it was she inhabiting the body, would be helpless to stop it until it was too late. Even then, she knew her friends would take risks trying to save her, but there would be no Unole to save.

She could not let them face that danger. She must do what she could to keep them from taking that risk. She must face her fear. She must to find a way to destroy the entity before she could allow herself to rest. She must find courage and courage can only be found in hope.

No, another 'Demoneyes' could not be allowed.

Unole focused her consciousness and began to draw her spirit to the center of her awareness. The wispy edges of the dissipating mist that was “Unole” began to roll back on itself. She thought of the people in her life.

Zette, who pulled her from certain death on the waste heaps of Houme. The mist thickened. It took the form of a cloud, dark, brooding, portending a storm.

She thought of Whaynn, gentle, kind, generous... even loving if one could say a slave was loved. Within the thickening storm, a spark of lightening.

She thought of Miremeld, one of her first friends, courageous, spirited and, at the same time, possessing innocence. The spark of lightening became a flash. The storm cloud roiled, gathering toward the center of her being.

She thought of Flashwing, always has her back, ready to defend her if he must. A good friend. Quiet, intelligent and courageous. The lightening grew in intensity, driving back the darkness around her. The cloud began to spin, slowly at first, then growing in strength.

She thought of Tomaas, his gentle laughter, his skill with the blades on the battlefield and in the kitchen and his willingness to teach her, to care for her. A flash of brilliance tore the fundament of the darkness as the storm gained substance.

She thought of Xserter and his quiet declaration, his promise that neither he nor his family will ever her be hurt again. The darkness was driven further back by a rage of light. Her will to preserve became the eye of the building storm. Her form took shape.

She thought of Andrew, looking for and finding someone special only to lose her without explanation. Her spirit strengthened and determination began to beat within her breast with a steady rhythm.

She heard a voice calling her name. It was Rozo’s voice. She smiles as she thought of Rozo, his warmth and humor, the time he held her when she wept with loneliness. She thought of his wisdom and his willingness to help her grow.

She was armored in light. In her hands she holds two blades. One was courage, the other was strength. She knew that the light will destroy the shadowy entity which shares this space with her.

She felt the darkness as it tries to blot out the light. She felt the presence of the entity. She turned, sending out tendrils of her awareness to search the darkness beyond the boundaries of the light.

There. The entity was found. It was crouching in the dark, waiting for a moment of weakness. She took a step forward. The entity retreated, staying beyond the edge of the light. She took another step. The entity retreated again.

The entity uttered a malevolent laugh. “There is so much darkness, little fool.” Again the sound of silk on sandpaper. “So many shadows, and only you. You are alone, little Unole. So, alone.” A sharp bark of laughter followed and Unole sensed something rushing toward her. She turned and saw a patch of shadow rapidly approaching from the edge of the light.

The blot of darkness began screaming its agony the moment it entered the light, but still it came. It changed as it came. A mouth opened on its leading edge and continued opening until its shadowy form was nothing more than teeth and gullet. She saw that the light was shredding its substance as it rushed at her. In the moment she had between seeing it and feeling its attack, she stepped aside, raising her blade as she did so.

The creature was split in two. It let out a deafening shriek as the light took it, but not before it hit her. Where it touched her, the armor of light she wore dimmed. She stared at the spot and willed it brighter. As it began to regain in radiance she heard another shriek and, before she could turn, felt a burning pain at the back of her head. She was blinded by darkness as another creature wrapped itself around her face.

She reached up and tore at the shadowy film with her hands. She cleared her eyes and saw other creatures rushing in, mere bits of dim flotsam in the sea of brightness that surrounded her.

Tomaas’ training took over as she slashed and thrust, destroying most of the tatters of darkness as they flew at her. But the few that reached her were enough to draw in the border of the light. The entity came closer. The creatures he sent at her came faster and in greater numbers. He was trying to smother the light that shone from her. Patches of armor dimmed then grew dark as she fought. She grew tired. She was distracted by the pain the creatures inflicted on her. She was afraid. She could not destroy them all. She could not hold back the growing tide of darkness.

Still, she tried. The blades sang. Creatures were split and sent screaming into a vortex of light to be utterly destroyed. Again she heard Rozo call her name. This strengthened her resolve enough to heal some of the rents in her armor of light, but not all.

The pain was unbearable, now. Her armor more dark than light. The entity drew closer. “Yesss,” it whispered at her. “Fight on, little fool. You cannot win. My creatures are without number.”

She believed the entity’s claim. The more she slashed and stabbed, the more he sent her way. Mindless little mouths of darkness which ate at her armor then tore at her spirit, dimming the light. She was sure they would keep coming until only darkness and a mere whisper of the memory of her would remain.

Rozo’s voice again. Strange how it was his voice she heard in her imaginings. But maybe not. He and Tomaas had been her protectors through many battles. Maybe it was wishful thinking that brought his voice to her and helped to strengthen her.

She fought bravely, but hope of victory began to fade and, with it, the light. The entity drew closer. “Yesss. Go on.” It laughed its malicious laugh. “You defeat yourself, little fool.”

Zette’s words. “You defeat yourself.” Unole remembered the lesson. “Stop fighting against it,” Zette had told her. “Use it! You let your pain bring fear. Fear destroys you. Don’t let it control you. You control It!

Unole slowed her attack. She read the pain and what it had to tell her was that her armor of light was not rent, only covered. She called the pain to her center and used it to feed her fury. Not enough! She cast about seeking resources. The creatures! She listened. A steady wail surrounded her. The creatures were dying in agony. She reached out and took their pain, their fear and thier rage, channeled it into her center, using it to feed the ball of energy she held tightly at her center.

The boundaries of the light drew in. She put up a token resistance feigning fatigue and growing weakness. The entity approached, his creatures flew at her, covering her completely and darkening the light. The entity had to kept sending creatures to cover her as the ones against her armor were destroyed. He unknowingly helped to build the weapon she would use against him.

She fell to her knees and doubled over, her arms held close to her stomach, her blades apparently useless in her hands. The pain was hers. She gathered it and channeled it, holding it in preparation for a last, desperate try.

The darkness was complete, a mere glimmer of light escaping from beneath Unole’s lowered lashes. The entity chuckled and bent over her. She let out a dismal moan. “You see,” the entity told her. “You can never win, little fool. Never.” He touched her shoulder.

Unole flung herself upright releasing the energy she had been holding in one instantaneous burst. The shadowy creatures holding onto her were annihilated by the burst of pure white light. The light enveloped the entity, instantly tearing into his form and breaking it apart. Pieces of his being were ripped from him and dissipated in the brightness. He shrieked out his rage as he realized his destruction. Unole gathered it in and used it to feed the light. She watched as the entity literally went to pieces and was reduced to nothing. Not even a dust mote remained.

Unole looked around her. The mindscape was filled with light. No shadows could be seen. She sent her senses out into the infinite realm of this timeless place. The darkness was gone. No hint of the entity remained. A feeling of completion came over her and she fell to her knees, overwhelmed by exhaustion. It was good, though. Now she could rest. Now she could go into that sweet promise of oblivion.

She felt herself warmly embraced. Something lifted and buoyed her spirit. She raised her head and saw that she was floating on a sea of cerulean blue. The sky above her was bright and clear. She smiled. The Sea Of Oblivion welcomed her. She relaxed. Her being became smoke and drifted over the surface of the sea. She thought she heard Rozo’s voice once more and was happy that she could take the time to bid her friends farewell, even if only in thought.

Her reverie was shattered. If she thought she had ever known pain, this feeling made a lie of that thought. Even the intense pain she had endured in the recent battle was small in comparison. She felt herself being drawn from the surface of the Sea of Oblivion. The mist that was her being was pulled in pieces and tatters away from the waters and she found herself once again in darkness.
    Last edited by Unole; Apr 27th, 2004 at 03:40:44.

Dr. Roslo sat at his desk, as he monitored the read-outs of the various instruments he was interfaced with. Unole's new body was stable, and life-support was no longer needed... the soul housed firmly in it. Satisfied with her condition, the nano-mage withdrew himself from the instrument interface and turned his attention to a small data-pad. A small fiber snaked its way from his finger to wire itself into the pad...... text began to stream across it's screen:

Journal Entry: April 19th, 29478
    Unole is alive. Interfacing with the spiritual device was more challenging than I had initially expected. I succeeded in entering the dream-scape and found Unole locked in combat. I called out to her, to attempt to get her to separate from the Entity.... I had to isolate her. She was still fighting it, I don't believe she heard me. The instruments showed her soul dissipating, and I was forced to do what I dreaded. I activated the array to force the combatants apart..... then placed Unole's soul in a copy of new body as it was formed at the lab terminal. There appears to be no spiritual damage, which is a relief. I have documented and uploaded this procedure for encoded transmission to the system of Omni-Prime. She appears to be waking up.

Unole opened her eyes. Master Rozo was there, but at a desk. She stretched a bit, and took a deep breath. "Just relax and lay there, Unole", the tall nano-mage spoke as he placed a data-pad on his desk. "I feel MUCH better Master Rozo." Unole smiled as he strode over to the table she was laid upon. "I will be the judge of that" Dr. Roslo said with a scowl. "You had us all worried. You insisted that everything was alright, when in fact it was not. You almost lost your life. Stand up and step this way. I want you to stand in front of this machine." Dr. Roslo pointed to an upright panel. Unole stood in front of the machine, as energy coruscated around here. The nano-mage looked satisfied. "We were all very worried for you little one." Dr. Roslo pulled Unole to him, embracing her. "Do you remember anything of what happened?" Unole nodded, beginning to tell him about the dream she had, when one of the machines in the lab started sparking. Dr. Roslo flipped a couple of switches and the arcs of electricity stopped. "I'll fix that later", he mumbled as he handed Unole a coat. "Put this on, and finish telling me all about the dream on the way home." He placed his arm around Unole's shoulders, and turned out the lights as they exited the lab and walked into the dimly lit alleyway, the twin suns just setting in the dusky reddish violet horizon... the first stars visible.

The stillness of the lab was shattered an instrument panel sprung to life, the light from it bleeding into the darkened room. "Warning! Buffer Overflow Error! Warning! Buffer Overflow Error!" The read-out panels sparked as almost arcane energies scintillated into the tenebrosity, illuminating the room as the nanite cloud surrounded the table and a figure slowly began to materialize. There was a loud crackle and the smell of burning circuitry as the instrument panel went dark..... the energies fading into nothingness as the lab was once again cloaked in shadows and silence.

Unole awoke on the darkened table. She stretched a bit, and took a deep breath. "I feel MUCH better.....", she grinned. Seeing no one was around, she searched for the exit, leaving the vacant building undetected. She took another deep breath as she walked into the dimly lit alleyway... the stars clearly visible in the sky.

"Much better indeed..."

A message?

The Dim lights of the Rubika Universal Robotics warehouse lab flickered during the late evening hours. Flash removed his kevlar glove and pressed his hand against the access panel on the building which was still located in Harry's. The panel's color turned from red to green as the entry door slid open allowing him entrance. The door slid closed behind Flash and seperated him from the outside world. The interior lights came in instantly...he had programmed them to do so. There were many changes which had taken place since Nashka resigned as head of security to pursue a life elsewhere. Now, Flash was the only one in charge of keeping things safe. He proceeded across the warehouse toward the security office on the far end of the building. The lights overhead gave off a faint buzz which was his only comfort. Silence for Flash was more frightening then ever.

Flash entered the office and prepared to finish up his duties for the evening. His conversation with Antibody22 at Rompas was still with him, disturbing every thought. "Unole died today at Omni-med" Antibody had told Flash. I'm sure if that was the case, I'd a heard something by now. Still, work was the only thing Flash could do to keep his mind off of events going on beyond his control.

Flash unpacked his rifle and placed it on the workbench near his desk. He sat down and decided to do some work on it, maybe then it would help him relax. He began taking things apart, then stopped. He dropped his tools on the workbench finally realizing he wasn't going to be able to concentrate unless he got a hold of himself. He close his eyes...only for in instant.

Darkness.

Kris doesn't recall ever dreaming...just sleeping and waking. Dreaming meant remembering the past. He no longer did that.

Still, images began to swirl into view...these were familiar images. He saw Unole being attacked by the demoneyes creature. This time, he could stop it from happening. Kris looked down, seeing his Rifle...and took aim. He pressed the trigger hard, but nothing happened. He pulled it again, and again...still unable to save her. Just like every other time in his life, he couldn't be there when it counted. Demoneyes sucked the life from Unole in front of him, Kris's rage growing in the process. He watched as she fell to the ground lifeness. The creature turned toward Flash, his eyes growing red. It began to rush toward him...fear overtaking Flash's mind. Flash's rifle suddenly materialized into his old swords...and he rushed equally toward the creature to battle it.

The two met, and errupted in an explosion...fire spreading everywhere as Flash was sent sailing several hundred feet. Around him, everywhere laid destruction. His stength had faded, but he still had enough to fight. He braced himself, but began to look around and became stunned at the familiar sights around him. He stared at the burning structure, it was his old apartment. The place that him and Illia shared before she was killed in this very explosion. Maybe now, he could save her...his face and body undamaged unlike in the past. Flash pulled himself to the entrance of the fire, ready to rush in and save his friend. The fire stirred, as a figure came from it. Unole's figure formed from the fire, untouched and perfect just as he remembered her. He smiled, realizing that perhaps this wasn't real but wasn't going to stop the experience.

Unole walked to Flash, and touched his face with her hand softly. Goodbye Flash she spoke. She turned and dissapeared into the flames, as the outside realm began to draw Flashwing back to it...kicking and screaming.

"WAIT!" Flashwing jolted from his seat, gripping the trigger as a loud CRACK! sent a bullet sailing through the side wall. Sweat was pouring from his body, his breathing out of control. What had just happened? A dream? No, she's alive. She has to be alive. Illia was never found dead. No one proved she was gone. That must be the connection, I have to find Unole and see for myself.

Flashwing turned to see the large gaping hole he left in the wall. A nice picture would take care of that. He turned to the desk, gripping his com pad and immediatly sending a private message to Master Rozo to meet with him. Placing his rifle into his backpack and running out of the office, Flash hoped he could prove his dream correct.

Hope was all he had...

Homecoming

Unole walked with Master Rozo. It was pleasant to hear the sounds of Rubi-Ka again. They talked about her dream as they walked the distance from Rozo’s lab in Omni-Med to her apartment in Rome Blue. Rozo was noncommittal in his responses to what she related. She came to the end of her dream just as they approached her door.

“And I felt as if I were being ripped apart, Master Rozo. I’ve never felt anything like it.” She shuddered. “It was all so realistic. But, worst of all, I woke feeling as if something was... missing.”

Rozo gathered her in a comforting hug. “Don’t worry, Unole. The important thing is that you are back and, with the proper care, you will be fine.”

Unole nodded. “I appreciate what you’ve done for me, Sir. I will do everything within my abilities to be deserving.”

Rozo smiled down at her and pushed her hair back from her eyes. “You have always been deserving, Unole. Have no fear of that.”

Unole blushed and lowered her gaze. “Thank you, Sir,” she said. “I should go in. Would you care for some tea, Sir?”

“I will have some tea, little one. I also want to make certain that you are properly settled in. I have some things to leave with you to help with your recovery.”

=====================================

A figure moved silently along the darkened streets of Rome, quickly moving towards the apartment building she called home. She entered the elevator and ascended to the upper courtyard..... freezing upon hearing a familiar voice speak her name. Stealthily, she moved along the wall to a small patch of darkness... where she crouched to observe. Cloaked in the shadows, Unole watched the pair standing in front of her apartment door. She heard Master Rozo call the woman “Unole.” As she strained to listen, her surprise turned to anger, and that anger steadily and inexorably grew into a red-hot rage. “She’s not Unole,” she muttered. “An imposter! How can Rozo not see that!”

She felt compelled to confront this interloper, and nearly sprang from her hiding place until Rozo stooped to put his arms around the woman. It was at that point that Unole got a good look at this woman. The sight of her was almost more than she could bear. She balled her fists at her side and clenched her jaw. The imposter was a perfect twin of Unole! There was no question about it. It was easy to understand why even Master Rozo would be fooled by her.

Unole eased back into the shadows, plotting. "This will bear watching", she thought to herself, her fists white-knuckled from the force of constriction as she watch the two enter her apartment. She stood there for a moment, waiting until she was certain she would not be seen, then stepped from her hiding place. She relaxed her hands a bit and a drop of blood oozed from between her clenched fingers where her nails had cut into her palm. “She’s stolen my life! I’ll find out who she is and who else is behind this. I won’t let them get away with this. I'll kill them! I'll kill all of them!"

An idea began to form in Unole's mind on how she might extort the information. She laughed as she thought to herself. It was perfect. She remembered that there were herbs that caused paralysis and poisons that didn't kill, but caused extreme pain. “Which of those spiders’ venom is it that causes the skin to feel as if it is on fire? I’ll have to do some experimenting, it seems.” She laughed again as she exited the apartment complex and made her way to the Jobe Whompa. Grinning with the joy of a vengeance being carried out, she crossed the into the frontier regions of the alternate dimension known as the Shadowlands.

"Payback is a bitch"

Tuesday, April 26, 29478

Unole fled from the bar and into the streets of Omni-1 Entertainment District. She continued running, paying no attention to direction, until she was hopelessly lost in the sewers. Fatigue, frustration and, most of all, shame brought her to her knees, weeping at the edge of the canal.

Master Rozo had escorted her to work and tested her physical condition with a small jog. She had welcomed the open air and the exercise. At Rompa, she had been greeted warmly by Kristopher ‘Flashwing’ Somali, and Miremeld. But events had followed that awakened a profound sense of dread and fearfulness within her. A terror so extreme that she felt as if she would be torn apart from the violent force of her own tremulous muscles.

A vampire woman by the name of Suznahh had bitten Miremeld after Liam ‘Antibody22’ Kenley had tried to restrain her. Denied the taste of Flashwing, Suznahh bode her time and upon Liam loosening his grip, she had lunged for Miremeld. Paralyzed by her fright, Unole had been unable to do anything but cower behind the bar, staring in wide-eyed horror as Miremeld was bitten. All she was able to manage was a shrill scream for Master Rozo to help as she watched Miremeld lose consciousness and fall to the floor.

People converged on the limp form of Miremeld, tending to her as well as they could. Master Rozo was a geneticist of unsurpassed ability. He administered an injection created by the IC that was designed to impart an immunity to the infection passed to Homo Solitus through the bite of these creatures and Miremeld began to recover quickly.

Liam had pulled Suznahh from Miremeld. He fought with her, threatening her with his knife and refusing to acknowledge her as kin. At some point Suznahh had left the bar, but not before she shattered Unole’s illusion of relative safety with the words, “Unole. You are ssstill oursss, forever!”

As things began to quiet down, Master Rozo mumbled that perhaps it was finally safe to have his dinner, and sat down to enjoy his meal. Mire was conscious and feeling much better, sipping on tea. Flashwing sat with her offering comfort. Conversations began to turn to the common things of life. Unole began to feel more at ease and had even begun to laugh, her trepidation slowly subsiding. The calmness, however, was short-lived.

The fragile and tenuous peace in the bar was shattered once again. Unole heard the hatred in Liam’s voice, spitting out his words as if to scourge the creature who entered. “You! Well if it isn’t the reborn Demoneyes.”

Mire, Flash and Master Rozo prepared for trouble, but Unole noticed none of this. She began to quake so violently it was painful. Her heart was in her throat and she wanted to run, but her feet would not move. When combat began Unole remained rooted to the spot, hiding behind Master Rozo’s Pet Demon.

Demonantous turned, noticing Unole for the first time. “Ahhh Unole... good to ssseee you again my daughter,” His baleful glare burned into her, chilling her spine, and making her blood run cold as ice. The violent dread that held her to the spot was rendered powerless by a panicked need to flee. She raced from the bar, flinging herself into the streets of Omni-1.

And here she knelt, beside the sewers, adding the tears of a coward to the rest of the offensive effluvia of the city.

April 27, 29478

Work was normal, though that didn’t mean that every moment was pleasant. Jack ‘Headlessjack’ Kerouac, Rompa’s interim manager, still had not come to terms with the Kenleys. Mixing Jack with any of the Kenleys was like feeding oxygen to an ember... smoldering tempers were sure to flare. Barring that, the evening went well.

The greatest pleasure of the evening, though, was when Miremeld and Master Rozo accompanied her home and stayed to talk awhile. Unole felt fortunate to have such friends and allowed herself the time to relax and take joy from their presence. She relaxed so well, in fact, that a peaceful drowsiness descended. She begged them to stay and be comfortable as long as they wished and excused herself. She looked forward to what portended to be a restful and dreamless sleep.

She put herself to bed in Mr. Harbinguer’s room certain that he would not mind her using it in his absence. She slipped between the covers and fell asleep to the quiet murmmer of Rozo’s and Miremeld’s voices in the next room. For the first time in days, she felt safe.

-------------------------------

The apartment was dark and quiet except for soft sounds coming from the bedroom. Unole tossed and twitched in her sleep, muttering under her breath and chuckling in a way so uncharacteristic of her that another person would have wondered who slept there.

Unole dreamed. Slipping through the darkest of shadows following a group through a temple. They killed and went on. Unseen, she crept from the shadows to hack at the giant spider’s carcass, laughing as she dug into the body and withdrew the parts she sought. She dashed the ichor from her hands and put the prize into her pack, then back into the shadows she went to follow again.

Unole’s sinister chuckle turned to a choking as she struggled out of the dream. She sat up suddenly, frightened, staring wide-eyed into the darkness. She thought she felt a sticky wetness on her arms and groped for the light. She blinked against the sudden brightness and stared at her arms. They were clean, dry except for a thin sheen of persperation. She rubbed the heels of her hands against her eyes until red stars flashed behind her lids. There would be no more sleep. Fear had returned and, with it, restlessness.

She left the bed and walked into the bathroom. She dropped her nightdress to the floor and stepped naked under a cold spray. She scrubbed vigorously, attempting to wash away the memory of the dream and the purity of the hatred she had experienced within that dream.

“Where did such feelings come from,” she wondered.

John “Blackswords” Rm prowled the wilds of the Shadowlands as a panther. His senses drew in the smells and sensations as he bounded along the rocky grass covered terrain. He loved the feel he got from being in this form. The acute perceptions and boundless energy of it.

He came to a stop near the entrance to one of the many Caverns and Caves in the land and his head quirked sideways as he smelled something familiar.

He sniffed again confirmed it was who he smelled. Unole was inside the cavern, but the lingering smell of the other seemed absent.

Curious John entered the Cavern and followed the scent. He came upon Unole as she butchered a Spiders Carcass and slipped into the shadows. He followed her silently for a while.

Her behavior seemed odd in the extreme to him. A far cry from the shy serving girl who strives to be invisible to all. Here she seemed to reveal in her butchery of the dead and smiled dementedly with each new organ she added to her Pack.

John silently backed away and left the cavern completely.

She seemed out of her mind and he felt his Herbal concoctions didn’t help her much.

He needed to talk with her friend Rozo if his memory served him well enough. Maybe he could explain why Unole was acting so…strangely.

He headed to the portals that would take him back to Rubi-Ka. He needed to find this Rozo and tell him what he’d seen.
    John "Blackswords" Rm
    Boardmember of Omni-Mining
    Adventurer

Hunting Party

She followed the hunters as they hacked their way through the ancient temple, killing everything in their path. Too weak to kill the giant spiders herself, she slipped from the shadows to cut out the precious venom glands which she wrapped in pieces of carapace to protect them, then gently stowed them in her pack.

As the slaughter continued, she became aware of the killing fury of the hunters and the terror of the hunted. She watched as the hunters slashed at the creatures creating a purple sanguineous haze in the air around them. Soon her only objective was to stay within the boundaries of that pulsing aura.

Wave after wave of emotion washed over her and she gathered it in, as Master Rozo and Master Tomaas had taught her, feeding on it. Her eyes rolled back and her lips parted to let past a moan. Her expression was one somewhere between unbearable pain and unbearable pleasure. Her body warmed. Her knees weakened.

Her focus changed and she was drawing on the outrage and fear of the creatures as they fought or fled before the hunters. She smiled and her eyes became hard points of light in the dim halls. Purest desire raised gooseflesh on her body. Every battle cry and scream of agony pierced her center with needles of ecstasy. She wanted... needed more. She drew close as she dared to the team and trembled in the light of their passion.

Before long the party turned to leave, their killing spree at an end. She moved back into the shadows until they passed then left the temple with her harvest. She was heading cross country to the Jobe portal when she heard, “Hey! Hottie! Wanna ride?”

Her temper bristled as she came to a sudden stop. As she turned, her scowl became a soft smile. Her eyes glowed with welcoming warmth. “Me, Sir?” she queried.

The young man approached. She watched as his arrogance and conceit changed his walk into a strut and his eyes wandered over her tattooed body. “Yeah. You. Wanna have some fun?”

She batted her lashes and formed her mouth into a coy smile. He came close and reached for her. She leaned forward and smiled up into his eyes. His jaw dropped and his eyes opened wide as he felt her blade pierce him low. With a vicious upward tug she split him from groin to gullet. He tottered a moment, looking into her warm welcoming eyes. She gave him her sweetest smile as he fell to the ground. “Bitch!” was the last word his lips formed.

She stood over him, her skin prickling with arousal, her core heating beyond endurance. The tension peaked, then gave way to a flood of sensations echoing from her center, climaxing as she watched him twitch and go limp. Her eyelids dropped and her body trembled. A soft sigh escaped her as the tension waned. She dropped to her knees, falling forward across the body at her feet. She lay upon him, weakened, gently caressing his cooling flesh as the waves of ecstasy that had overwhelmed her subsided to mere ripples.

Soon she was able, with some effort, to pull herself upright. She looked at her bloodied hands, her blood painted body, then at the boy’s body. She reached into the split and felt the silken flow of his organs over her fingers. She grasped the hard, still muscle in his chest and pulled.

She held his heart high noting the glisten of blood wet tissue in the sun and reveled in her new power. It took a few moments to carefully cut away a suitable sheet of skin to wrap the heart in, but it was soon put away in her pack to be admired another day.

Unole stopped at the first water she came to which was a clear pool inhabited by small creatures which scuttled away at her approach. She waded into the chill water and watched as the blood on her body drifted away on small wavelets. The sparkle of the water turned from sapphire to ruby and she smiled.

She didn’t go home. The imposter would be there. Instead she explored the sewers of Omni-1 Entertainment until she found a suitable hole. She unpacked her treasures, prepared her infusions and gently laid out the scavenged venom glands. She set out a collection of Xan funeral urns then carefully punctured the sacs and began draining them into the small containers.

Her mind wandered to the imposter, her identical twin in appearance, and she smiled in anticipation. She hoped the imposter would be strong. She would enjoy the job of extracting the names of the conspirators that much more.

In her distraction, the sac she was draining dribbled over the edge of the urn, spilling a drop of the caustic venom on her hand. “DAMMIT,” she screamed at the searing pain. Then she smiled as she hurried to drench the spot with clear water. “Yes,” she thought. “This will do nicely. Very nicely.”

-----------------

Unole lay in her bed, sleeping quietly. Then she began to mumble. Suddenly she let out a piercing scream, bolted upright and cradled her hand against her breast. Tears of pain rolled down her cheeks as she looked at her hand. There was nothing. No mark or stain to say there was an injury and, as the seconds of wakefulness ticked by, finally not even the pain. Her restful night’s sleep had again been shattered by a fitful dream that seemed too real.
    Last edited by Unole; May 5th, 2004 at 01:29:09.

Stalker

((As Antibody22 aka Liam ))

Liam stood in the corner anonymously watching everyone that chatted or passed near him. He heard some strange chatter, from a familiar voice. He looks at Unole curiously, wondering who she is talking to. But he sees no other, just Unole. She quiets as she engages in a conversation with a customer, her voice seems more.... I cant explain it. After the conversation, she turns back to a corner fidgeting with something. Liam tries to see what she is fondling with but she catches him and quickly stashes what she was holding. "Hey Unole, what are you doing?" He says curiously. "Nothing. I am off work now. Goodbye.".. Liam blinks confused...

Two minutes after she left Rompa, he follows her, tracing her scent. He follows the scent till he breathes the discusting smell of the Ent Sewers.. "Eww... why would she go here?"... His sight quickly zooms to Unole, walking down the road. He begins to call out to her but stops. He sees her approach a dark figure and can only see their silouettes. He squints his eyes to try to find out as he hides behind a wall. Unole clubbed the other figure till it fell, she bent to pick the figure up. Liam zoomed in on the figure's face as it is now in the light of the street lamp. "Unole??" he thought, he brought his sight up looking at the other face... "U-Unole??".. He looked back down to make sure he saw what he saw.

The figure picked her up and ran into the sewers. Liam yelled "Hey wait!" The figure didnt stop so he chased after it. The figure dropped into the poison sewers carrying the of the Unole's.. "Two Unoles, did I see right?" he thinks.. Liam keeps chasing then through the sewer and stumbles over a stick, ramming his chest into the little bridges in the water. He falls down in pain for awhile, and gets back up. He keeps running and sniffing the air for the Unole scent and comes to a fork in the path where he could take 4 directions.. "Some tracker I am!" he says aloud. He sniffs the air once more, only smelling the thick scent of sewage. He thinks constantly about the two Unoles as he walks home to shower. "Damnit!" he says, walking back to his Jobe appartment.
    Andrew22 - Keeper, Unoccupied
    Antibody22 - Shade, Unoccupied
    Specimen - Soldier, Slaves of Rubi ka