Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Guide to new chat system.

Guide to new chat system.

The guide has been updated some and I will continue to do so as I find or think of more useful information to add.

I hope this guide is useful to everyone. It helps explain how to use the new chat system. - Rocton of Atlantean

Please note that this guide is best used with new control panel (GUI). The examples in this guide are only one of many ways you can set the new chat system up.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    To make a new chat window

- Right click inside the chat window and choose chat config.

- Click "New Window"

- Enter the name you want for the new chat window.

- Double click the window name to open the window. (Under chat windows in chat config)

Directing messages to the new window

- Highlight the window you want messages directed to. (In chat config)

- Under chat channels, highlight the channels you want directed to the window. (May need to unhighlight from default chat window for them not to show there)

Muting unwanted channels
    - Open chat configuration.

- Under chat channels, find the channel you want muted, right click it then choose "Mute ...."

Configuring your windows to fit the GUI properly

- Default chat window can not be resized or moved in borderless mode, but it can be closed, so I just closed it and made a new chat window to replace it.

- To resize borderless windows you must first go to normal (bordered) mode to choose a location and size, then switch back to borderless mode.

- You can close windows you don't need until later, then when you open them later you see all the missed messages. (I keep my shopping window closed until I need it)

Using tabs in normal (bordered) mode windows

- Open both windows you will be combining and set them to normal (bordered) mode.

- Right click and hold the tab of the first window and drag it into the tabs area of the second window.

- Now you have combined two chat windows and can click the tab to switch between them.

Quickly switching chat channels - Information taken from Lace

- When in chat, and in the boxed version.. and you get the prompt to switch from.. say.. your Guild channel to Vinicity.. there is no need to having to click the mouse.. just type the following:

Enter
    Tab Key
    First letter of your channel choices
    then Enter again.

I like this way much better than using the mouse to switch.

Changing the font type and size

- On the login screen, click the "Settings" button.

- Click "Advanced Settings"

- Click choose font to change the font.

- Change the number in "Size" to change your font size.

Changing text color for different groups

- Open Windows Explorer and navigate to "..../Funcom/Anarchy Online/cd_image/gui/Default/"

- Make a backup copy of the "TextColors.xml" file.

- Open "TextColors.xml" with notepad.

- The first section just seems to show which hex code displays what color:
    (i.e. <HTMLColor name="yellow" color="0xFFFF00" />)

- The following is channel names such as the following for org chat:
    (i.e. <HTMLColor name="ctch_clan" color="0x0ff20b" />)

Theres a second one that seems to go with org chat also:
    (i.e. <HTMLColor name="CCClanColor" color="0x000ff20b" />)

- Say you want to change the color of org chat to yellow as listed in the example above:
    Change the "0x0ff20b" in the first example to "0xFFFF00"
    and the "0x000ff20b" in the second example to "0xFFFF00"

- Play around with this to figure out what the channel is listed as in the file. Also vicinity seems to be the same as system messages now so hopefully there will be a patch for this.

- Also note Anarchy Online needs to be restarted for the color changes to take effect.

Originally posted by Meiyen
    I have played with chat colors some, and created a file for those that wish to use it. This .zip file contains three files:
    • OriginalTextColors.xml -> the official, original file
    • ColoredTextColors.xml -> the original file but with all hex codes turned into color names so you can more easily tell what color you are looking at
    • TextColors.xml -> my slightly modified file

These should be extracted and saved to the "..../Funcom/Anarchy Online/cd_image/gui/Default/" folder.

My color scheme is basically:
    Vicinity, emotes, shouts, system messages are shades of yellow/tan
    Tells, whispers are aqua
    Organization, newbie, team, pgroup are shades of green
    Shopping, links, seeking team are shades of blue
    My pets, other pets are shades of orange
    Towers, GM, and admin are shades of purple

My color scheme is based of the ColoredTextColors.xml file, so you can easily see what chat types are what colors, and modify by switching the names around in the xml file after you open it up with Notepad.

To copy the chat window setup to alts. - Information taken from Faithslayer

<Anarchy Online Dir>\Prefs\<Account Name>\Char(Number)\Chat

Work out which character directory is the one you've already setup. (In my case it was easy.. the only one with a Chat Directory :P ) and Copy that directory into other \Char(Number)\ Directories.

For me, this copied all the setup information apart from which channels to mute, if there is a file specifically for mute info, does anyone know?

Please let me know if you would like more examples of how to do this.
    Last edited by Rocton; Apr 11th, 2004 at 05:51:04.

New commands I've figured out so far (and a couple old ones)
    - /t is for team chat
    - /o is for organization/clan chat
    - / and /say is for vicinity chat
    - Shift + R to reply to the last tell
    Last edited by Rocton; Apr 6th, 2004 at 10:02:11.

I'm not 100% sure if this belongs here... but it is relevant to the new chat system, and maybe someone can follow it up properly.

To copy the chat window setup to alts.

<Anarchy Online Dir>\Prefs\<Account Name>\Char(Number)\Chat

Work out which character directory is the one you've already setup. (In my case it was easy.. the only one with a Chat Directory :P ) and Copy that directory into other \Char(Number)\ Directories.

For me, this copied all the setup information apart from which channels to mute, if there is a file specifically for mute info, does anyone know?

Don’t know if this will help anyone.
    220/22/67 Faithslayer - 2HE Enf
    150/18/30 Emohawk - Pistol Adv
    159/08/25 Hydrospanner - Pistol Eng
    179/09/15 Cerdwin - Pistol Doc

Thanks for the new info I'll get it added to the main post.
    Rocton General of Corporate Justice

Should probably sticky this for awhile...

shift and R to reply as /r has given up the ghost somewhat.

*bump for temporary sticky*

Ok and how to save chat settings, each time after log i have to move windows again
    Neophyte Derlyn 220 MA Atlantean [eqp]
    Legion
    Apprentice Morgwyn 205 Fix Atlantean

Hmm I don't have this problem, are you using old GUI? (I do have a problem with planetmap and inventory closing when i log off)

Angry why does FC have to change something that worked perfectly?

*sigh*

spend like 2 hours yesterday in my chat config. after creating several new chat windows and trying to "order" and "categorize" this whole bunch of channels i came up with a chat window with some tabs for different channels in it.
    well, so far so good...i wasnt able to figure out, how to "cylce" thru those tabs via keyboard, which is pretty st00pid. in combat im soo busy pressing buttons, that i wont be able to mouse-click-cycle thru different chat-windows and talk in those chats while doin so.

in the end i setup a single chat window which works pretty much like the old chat system (just have all chats in 1 win and mute the channels bugging u...).

then another thing: i cant use pageUp / Dn keys to scroll my chat win nemore!!!! now what a glorious idea is that again? if it's a bug then it's just another example of impudence by FC providing a new chat-tool with bugged essential features even AFTER delaying a so called "patch".

btw, very goooooood idea too is to have all messages colored red...hard to scan those massive battle-spam for what acutally HIT u or HEALED you or is just telling u that you're executing a nanoprogramm.

furthermore i heard from friends, that they have problems with their friends-list.

the only benefit i see from this system currently is, that u could run dmg-dumper in a really comfortable mode by having all the combat spam in a seperat window.

well, the chat-system is one of the most important things for gameplay. in order to play in a comfortable way it MUST work properly. so, if FC decides to relaunch a PERFECTLY working system, it should b replaced by a NON-BUGGY MORE COMFORTABLE system. everything else is just plain arrogant.

might sound a bit harsh here, but that's simply the status quo and as a paying customer i can at least expect a working communication in a game like this.

Tops
    GOD SAVE THE POWDER!!

Topspeeder Level 220/12 Fixer Current Gear

Bloodsoaker Level 220/21 Shade Current Gear <<< First 220 Atrox Shade on Rimor >>>

Board Member of HUGE, inc.

Originally posted by Rocton
    Hmm I don't have this problem, are you using old GUI?
    nop i changed to new one, funny is that one of my chat windows doesnt move after log and one does so i have to set it up again (but only one) and both tur on to Normal mode (i use Borderless)

And another question is: when i leave team, chat leaves in options but its name is red, no now i have like 8 "teams" chat

uhhhh bug?

DERlYN
    Neophyte Derlyn 220 MA Atlantean [eqp]
    Legion
    Apprentice Morgwyn 205 Fix Atlantean

Originally posted by BrachSon

And another question is: when i leave team, chat leaves in options but its name is red, no now i have like 8 "teams" chat

uhhhh bug?
    Yes and no... No in that every team channel is a seperate entity, basically a special type of temp channel. Yes in that, despite that, the client *should* treat them as if they were really all the same channel.

Probably the same issue with the playfield specific channels (OOC, LTF, Shopping etc).
    "Do not try and catch the hamster... that's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth... There is no hamster, only a deadbeat rollerat..."

[Social] Means: I don't think we removed any bosses because of bad pathing...there wouldnt be any left if we did :P

AO Character Skill Emulator and Character Parser and AO Implant Layout Helper

Stickying and stealing your chat color change instructions for the chat FAQ in the downtime forum.

Glad this seems to be helping some people. I had a lot of org/alliance friends that wanted to quit because they couldn't configure it right or mad because they couldn't change the colors/font size. Wrote the guide mainly to convince them to stay but hopefully this changes a lot of other peoples minds. Also still a few bugs with the system that need to be worked out, but I will report those as I find out more.

One little thing..

When in chat, and in the boxed version.. and you get the prompt to switch from.. say.. your Guild channel to Vinicity.. there is no need to having to click the mouse.. just type the following:

Enter
    Tab Key
    First letter of your channel choices
    then Enter again.

I like this way much better than using the mouse to switch.

Whoah, didn't know you could do that! That sounds cool, gonna try it now.

I found that system messages and vicinity can be separated colorwise...

I was going bananas yesterday with the red text flying by, so I ended up modifying quite a bit of the different text things. I ended up with all systemmessages being white (yes, this also filters shouts to blend into the background, which I really like ) and vicinity being its good od yellow. I also changed my pet's response color, as it is nice to see a healer actually say it's gonna do something. The orange damage and orange chat wasn't helpful, so I changed the chat to be a lighter shade of that. Now whenever I get attacked I see red, otherwise my chat is nice and light.

I'd like to know though, does someone know of a site that has a huge list of colors and their codes? If I missed it here, I'd appreciate a pointer as I couldn't find it
    I went by my own color 'knowledge' so far, but I'd like to get into it a little more.
    ACCOUNT STATUS
    Cancelled
    This account was cancelled at:
    2004-05-10 06:47:01
    It will remain playable until : 2004-09-20 08:20:45

Time for RL now

Meet Fluffy

how hard would it be for someone to write a little vb app that parses the XML for each chat type and has a color wheel to choose from...? If I ever manage to have some free time I may need to do that- shouldn't take long.

-D
    ===============
    First Order S.S.S.C.
    ===============

Good info! I'm in the process of updating my chat colors to the custom set I had prior to 15.5. I had a guide on how to change chat colors, but it is now obsolete, so once I get my new settings working, I'll post them up so people have an alternative set of colors.
    Guide to Teaming With Docs! is the funniest post ever. | "Engie Got Bot" song spoof
    AO chat log of Titanic sinking is the second funniest post ever

No matter how many levels I gain, the Lag Monster is always red to me.

Currently playing The Secret World.

I have played with chat colors some, and created a file for those that wish to use it. This .zip file contains three files:
    • OriginalTextColors.xml -> the official, original file
    • ColoredTextColors.xml -> the original file but with all hex codes turned into color names so you can more easily tell what color you are looking at
    • TextColors.xml -> my slightly modified file

These should be extracted and saved to the "..../Funcom/Anarchy Online/cd_image/gui/Default/" folder.

My color scheme is basically:
    Vicinity, emotes, shouts, system messages are shades of yellow/tan
    Tells, whispers are aqua
    Organization, newbie, team, pgroup are shades of green
    Shopping, links, seeking team are shades of blue
    My pets, other pets are shades of orange
    Towers, GM, and admin are shades of purple

My color scheme is based of the ColoredTextColors.xml file, so you can easily see what chat types are what colors, and modify by switching the names around in the xml file after you open it up with Notepad.

Thanks I went ahead and quoted your post in the colors section of my guide.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast