Thread: Players Please Convince Me Why I Should Come Back

Question Players Please Convince Me Why I Should Come Back

I got an email today from Funcom. They are offering me another free month of play for "re-evaluation". I left very angry at Funcom. I could reconsider my position and try the game again. However I need the PLAYERS to tell me what has changed since August (when I left). Has the game improved? Is it FUN? Or is it still an endless rat-race of leveling, upgrade equipment, implants, doing STALE PREPACKAGED feeling missions, broken skills/items/nanos. Does the view range set at max on the slider still suck? Can I play with an ATI card? Is there a better response time for /petitions? Are classes still imbalanced compared to others? Was pet pathing ever fixed? Was pet AI ever improved? Were guild problems fixed? Does /who work now? hrmm. i think thats enough questions for now. I could play again but i need the players to convince me first that it is worth the trouble of reinstalling, and then patching the game all over again.
    Karnisov
    P.S. I was an agent, could any agents please tell me if we are still FUBAR.

Because it's free, and Neocron isn't out yet.
    "By the way, if anyone here is in marketing or advertising: kill yourself." --Bill Hicks
    "Have we turned into gerbils? People are paying money to walk up invisible steps over and over again." --Dennis Leary

no its not really free, as i live on Okinawa, and in Japan you have to pay for local calls to your isp. this is y i am asking if it is worth it before i begin the install/patch process. because patching requires you to be online to download it. and it would be a waste of money if the game is still broke.

agents have only been nerfed in recent memory...so..no i dont advise u to come back..they are still a hell of a lot better than any other prof because they can switch into the flavor of the month class...

now to answer your questions
    1. in my opinion the game has improved..some people might dispute that..i first played(retail, played b3 and b4). Although i still think the game would have been 10x better if they hadnt changed the game so much in beta 4. As for how its improved..many broken things have been fixed..certain unplayable classes have been made playable..i find the game to be more stable.

2. yes its fun

3.no they havent really fixed the 'Or is it still an endless rat-race of leveling, upgrade equipment, implants, doing STALE PREPACKAGED feeling missions, broken skills/items/nanos. '
    with the exception of somewhat fixing broken skills/items/nanos.

4. i dont know..i have my range slider pretty low to keep FPS high

5. I play with an elsa card so i couldnt tell u

6. /petition has improved slightly(now only 10 hours instead of 12...:P) theyve also changed the petition system slightly so that you can see where you are in line for your petition to be answered.

7. Classes are still imbalanced..funcom has stuck to its traditional strategy off nerfing something till non existance then making it uber powerful again...*cough* MPs *cough*

8. guilds seem to work fairly well..i dont run one though so im not an expert

9. /who doesnt work..last time i tried anyways...neither do /list or /list players

10. If its gonna cost you money..i wouldnt take the risk..but if u can get a friend to burn the patches to cd or something...go for it by all means.

asking

asking the players who stayed is defeating the purpose. ask someone else who has quit and come back to give it another try.

the content is bland and the repetitiveness is still very much there.

bugs have been fixed. indeed they have.

however, memory leaks, lag, disconnects. zone booting. etc. all still exist. all the major bugs are still there.

and to funcoms detriment, they are slowly nerfing all the classes in a way that will make the classes lose all their individuality in the long runs.

Answer - I suggest you try it out for yourself for a day. stability issues have improved somewhat. that's about it in my opinion.

memory leaks are better now...

as for the other problems..i suggest you upgrade your computer because i never lag above 110 ms (except for client side lag, which a lot of people mistake for server side lag), i never get zone booted, i never get disconnected..i dont notice any major bugs..only minor ones

'and to funcoms detriment, they are slowly nerfing all the classes in a way that will make the classes lose all their individuality in the long runs.

Answer - I suggest you try it out for yourself for a day. stability issues have improved somewhat. that's about it in my opinion.'

i totally agree with this...this has always been funcoms strategy(ive been around since b3..so id be one to know)

As for the answer, this is a good suggestion..

Lightbulb Re: Players Please Convince Me Why I Should Come Back

Originally posted by Karnisov
    I got an email today from Funcom. They are offering me another free month of play for "re-evaluation". I left very angry at Funcom. I could reconsider my position and try the game again. However I need the PLAYERS to tell me what has changed since August (when I left). Has the game improved? Is it FUN? Or is it still an endless rat-race of leveling, upgrade equipment, implants, doing STALE PREPACKAGED feeling missions, broken skills/items/nanos. Does the view range set at max on the slider still suck? Can I play with an ATI card? Is there a better response time for /petitions? Are classes still imbalanced compared to others? Was pet pathing ever fixed? Was pet AI ever improved? Were guild problems fixed? Does /who work now? hrmm. i think thats enough questions for now. I could play again but i need the players to convince me first that it is worth the trouble of reinstalling, and then patching the game all over again.
    Karnisov
    P.S. I was an agent, could any agents please tell me if we are still FUBAR.
    I used to do chatrooms in Yahoo, Delphi and the like, and finally decided that, as i had hear the same conversation day in and day out that I had heard the first day I logged on, I would move on. And here I am in the AO forums, hearing the same argument over and over. Is someone trying to actually convince someone else of something, or is this just lack of any ideas on what else to talk about?

This "AO is good, AO is bad" argument *and it is an argument* will go on and on and on and on...........Hey, folks who like it will continue to play, and those who don't won't. I happen to like it, but perhaps that is because I socialize as much as I "play the character". I am in no hurry to make lvl 200, and if I never do it, I will have had a wonderful time doing other things. I enjoy the complexity of the game *still chewing over the best way to do implants*, but realize that because it IS complex, there will be parts of it that WILL be, well.....complex! (grin). I read a post the other day that agonized over the fact that: "this game is my hobby, and how would I like to have a beautiful masterpiece ruined, blah blah." I have played the game for around two months now, and realize that to spend the time it would take for these "maestroes" to make their art, one would have to be welded to the computer chair and fed through a tube.

Get a life. It is a complicated game, and will have problems. You don't like it, don't play it...........but *respectfully* please don't moan about it.

Unhappy Its very simple

Its really very simple,

Anarchy Online will never be any good because the team behind it lacks imagination, creative input, and programming skills. It still has atrocious, loathesome gamplay that went out with the Commodore 64 (repeatedly pressing 'q' ad infinitum was fashionable gameplay circa 1982 - it just shows how fashions repeat themselves.) It is really, loathesomely, atrociously, arse-achingly bad. It is foul. I would rather delicately suck the sh1t from my shoe than pay good money to play this filth.

If you want a deeper insight into the faults, I suggest you look at the thread on this section of the forum entitled 'Does anyone have the link for the 'I Hate Anarachy Online website?'' It will put you in touch with like minded people.

Finally, save your money and wait for Neocron, or better still, Star Wars Galaxies. Word has it that Neocron will even feature a first person shooter section for the game, whereas AO online has the solitary 'q' key. What would you rather spend your hard earned cash on?

One word of warning. Anarchy online will disappear probably in the middle of next year after the new competition begins to bite from Neocron, Star Wars et. al. This is confirmed by the free trial being offered to us people who quit it long ago - there is no way accountants would have agreed to this move unless they were haemorraging accounts and cash. The question you have to ask is, can you really bare to spend so much time levelling up your character only to find that the game collapses in a few months time through lack of players and money?

You can never get the hours you waste of your life back that you spend on Anarchy Online. Don't do it.

Dan

Re: Its very simple

Originally posted by DPolwarth
    Its really very simple,

Anarchy Online will never be any good because the team behind it lacks imagination, creative input, and programming skills. It still has atrocious, loathesome gamplay that went out with the Commodore 64 (repeatedly pressing 'q' ad infinitum was fashionable gameplay circa 1982 - it just shows how fashions repeat themselves.) It is really, loathesomely, atrociously, arse-achingly bad. It is foul. I would rather delicately suck the sh1t from my shoe than pay good money to play this filth.

Err... I think your statements are very biased.

IMO, AO is one of the best games ever made. The world of Rubika is rich with details that power levelers will never get to appreciate. Rubika is a work of Art.

The programmnig team is very good at their job. They just choose to be really ambitious.. and doing so.. naturally causes more problems. (rather than take the safe route like some other games out there). The biggest problem with them is not their progamming skill... IMO, it's their communication and project management. It reeks of hacker style programming

Game play is not just press "Q" too. When did u last play AO ?
    Have u ever teamed up ? eg. In the past.. docs just chain team heals and that's it... so boring.. now even doctors get to fight

AO is constantly evolving to be a much better game. I'm glad to have contributed to it's growth.

I'm pissed that Funcom is giving those who gave up on their a free month.

But well... nevermind... I just hope people will take this opportunity to take a look at what u had given up... to see how dedicated the people at Funcom are. Some might argue u are paying to beta.... but to me.... it's a working and evolving product. Will always be in "Beta"

Re: Re: Players Please Convince Me Why I Should Come Back

Originally posted by Dierfiur
    one would have to be welded to the computer chair and fed through a tube.
    Would that be so bad? *grins*
    The pen is mightier than the sword, you say? Very well, get out your pens, essay writers, and prepare to have your logic tested by steel!

ACTIVE, CANCELLED 2001-12-09 (reversable until 2002-01-06)

That's all, and i like this game, but not programmers