Thread: Think twice before you defect!!!!

Exclamation Think twice before you defect!!!!

I hear a lot of people talking about defecting from one side to the other. Having been a past Nuetral and converting to Omni, there is a major issue that should concern all people thinking of defecting.

MAPS!

Since you already have a basic set of maps, you will not be able to upload a new set. Since I was a Nuetral I had the Newland maps loaded. When I went to Omni, I was not allowed to upload the basic maps. I have had to incrementally add my maps. This does not sound like a major issue, but with Maps like Galway County taking 600 in Map Navigation it should make you think twice about defecting. Galway County is a Map that a Level 1 Omni gets, but my Level 50 Adventurer does not stand a prayer of uploading that map for some time to come. I personally feel this is rediculous and if people properly understood the ramifications of defecting, they simply wouldn't.

This needs to be fixed. Either basic map requirements need to be lowered, or their should be an option when you defect to wipe your maps and start over. I would be willing to do this even today in a hearbeat, but I can't. There is simply no option to wipe your maps and start over. There could also be two different map requirements. One set of requirements (lower) for the affiliation of the map, and one for non-affiliation. In other words, lower the Galway County requirements for Omni affiliates and raise them for Clans (and vice-versa for Clan territories).

Bottom line, this needs to be fixed.

Talking Cool idea!

Hey - I like the idea about having lower map costs depending on affiliation! They should do that!

I think the whole thing is stupid

Why should there be any requirements to be met to upload a map? The only requirement I can see is that you have enough credits to buy the map. I mean really when is the last time you stopped at a service station while on vacation and had to meet any requirements other than the cash to pay for it to get a map of the area?

Now I can see having requirements for the map upgrades of mobs, players, directional indicator to using maps, but other than that its stupid the whole thing.
    Marquis "Clearspirit" Pillot
    RK2 Omni Inter-Op

Lorriane "Arosabir" Cratty
    Wanna-be merchant @ Harry's Outpost!

"I was born in the dark but it wasn't last night..."

Re: I think the whole thing is stupid

Originally posted by Clearspirit
    Why should there be any requirements to be met to upload a map? The only requirement I can see is that you have enough credits to buy the map. I mean really when is the last time you stopped at a service station while on vacation and had to meet any requirements other than the cash to pay for it to get a map of the area?

Now I can see having requirements for the map upgrades of mobs, players, directional indicator to using maps, but other than that its stupid the whole thing.
    Because maps offer an insane PvP and PvM advantage at later levels. Thus, maps of political/mayhem zones tend to cost more, and maps of high level zones cost even more so.

PvPing in 2ho is about 10 times easier (and more fun) when you have the map of stret east

I think when you defect there should be an automatic wipe of your start-up maps and a capsule of the start-up maps for the side you are defecting to should automatically appear in your inventory for uploading. You can easily replace your previous start-up maps because most of them are cheap even though you will have to buy them individually. And for the few that require large amounts of navigation skill--well there should be a price to pay for defecting don't you think?
    Anastasia "Aniee" Cervenak
    Martial Artist

Man is the only animal that blushes, or needs to. -------Mark Twain

Just a note on maps:

The one covering the galway Area appears to be named "Bay of Rome", with much lower req's than the "Galway County" one.
    This si somewhat similar to the 4 Holes map, where you need to upload the one named "Dry Wastes".

As for maps I doubt even exist, I could mention Broken Shores, and the Wailing Wastes north of West Athens.

I'm merely hoping they'll fix that in the next patch or one thereafter...

All this only proves that there are no real reasons keeping you from accepting the amnesty and moving south to work for the company.
    We offer better climate and housing, well-paid jobs, propaganda-on-request only, a nice helpful community, and all in all the assured feeling of knowing you are doing the right thing.

Also, we don't tend to kill off neutrals, nor our own bartenders. (First night at the Happy Rebel..)

[Edit: added subnote on OT kindness]
    Last edited by Pilker; Nov 17th, 2001 at 01:37:34.
    Pilker, OmniTek Fixer and Happy Traveller.

Root and Run - It's a way of life.

wailing wastes

got Wailing Wastes

Went back 2 mins. later with another character and it wasn't there

Thanks for info on Bay of Rome

Unhappy Bay of Rome

I've got the Bay of Rome map, but it doesn't show me the Galway area at all.