Thread: What is the benefit?

What is the benefit?

Could somebody please tell me:

A. the benefits of joining an org/guild

B. at what level you should consider joining a org/guild

C. Why you would want to start your own Org/guild

D. How these groups can effect the game world.

E. If there is a decent nuetral org/guild in dimension 2 I should consider joining?

Ryan "Stonefaced" Lene
    Level : 11
    Dimension : 2
    Breed : Solitus
    Faction : Neutral
    Profession : Soldier

A. the benefits of joining an org/guild

The benefits largely depend on the guild or specifically depends on the owner(s) or the core group of the guild. In the game, all you gain is an additional chat channel.

People think that joining a guild allows you to get free stuff, which is only partially true. Someone got something in a mission that they cannot use, so instead of selling it, they ask if anyone in the guild can use. But the chance of you being able to use it is not so big. Also, actively asking for free stuff (begging) is usually dispised in most guilds. If you count on this as a main source of items, you are probably not going to be happy.

People also think that joining a guild gives you more opportunities to team up, find group or get help for whatever missions or items you want to accomplish. Again that really depends on the guild. The chat channel faciliates it, but it does not enforce it. I have been in two guilds that never really increase my chance of grouping. You can ask for help but if people don't have the time or the interest, they can remain silent.

Now, a good guild can really make your game 10X more fun by doing all the neat stuff. In my case, good guilds keep me interested in the game for a long time because I made so many good friends.

As a co-founder of more than one guilds in more than one game, I can tell you what I try to do to make the game fun for everyone in my guild.

a. Make a good website
    b. Make a good forum
    c. Organize events that capture different lvl's/groups interest. See through the events and make sure people actually had fun.
    d. Encourage grouping. Not only do I never turn down an invite, but i actively advertise ongoing teams and ask people to involve others in their activities
    e. Help for newer players. I do routinely pass credits/items to new players, make a point to answer their questions, and help them in whatever aspects they need to get them started on a solid foot.
    f. Resolve conflicts. I always make a judgement where there need be, and make it fair to all parties involved.

MMORPGs are for a large part, social games. A good guild definitely will enhance this aspect of the gaming.

B. at what level you should consider joining a org/guild

Joining a guild is not a requirement. Usually I won't consider it if the usual daily gaming still keeps me interested. Some people can just play solo game, doing solo missions all life. I, on the other hand, get bored fast. That's why a guild is almost key to keeping my interest in the game.

C. Why you would want to start your own Org/guild

I like helping others. I also like having a close circle of friends in any game I play. On top of that, I like making websites...so I started my own guild. In fact, my husband shares my passion, so we two usually run the guild together, sharing different responsibilities. We did not want to do this in AO initially because running a guild is lot of work. But we failed to find a guild that fits our need, so finally we started our own. It's been great so far.

D. How these groups can effect the game world.

I think guilds affect the game world by

a. helping players and enhancing their gaming
    b. organizing events that may go on AO's official headlines and influence the political atmosphere of the world
    c. possibly openning up additional dialogue channels with the game developers that help making the game better.

E. If there is a decent nuetral org/guild in dimension 2 I should consider joining?

The decision is yours. Hopefully my answers to your questions help you make your own. My suggestion is to try one and see for yourself.
    Last edited by Mona; May 15th, 2002 at 21:23:01.
    Janella "Zindi" Catt
    Trader, Rubi-Ka 2

Thumbs up

I echo what Mona said. I have played since August last year wouyld have like quit last fall without joining a guild. AO is at heart a mutliplayer game the system clearly shows that. I was likely to get in a good guild and since founded a great guild who sole purpose is to help each other and people new to the game.
    Even when I cannot group with a member of my guild I pick mission to find rare items for their profession, or my Doc or Mp will come along just to buff and heal a members.

How ever we are clan and if you joins us (apply if interested) u become Clan.
    Asal
    Doctor
    Appartment 5 Tir
    Proud member of Rubi-ka2
    http://www.guildportal.com/guildHome.asp?GuildID=1117