Thread: As business weakens, a leader must make a decision...

As business weakens, a leader must make a decision...

***Public News Boards, a press announcement is made by Director Wayne Harbinguer of Rompa Entertainment***

Greetings, fellow Rubi-kaans and Shadowlanders.
    As you all may know, Rompa Entertainment has been providing catering, janitorial, and security services at the Rompa Bar for just about two months now. We have all been working hard, be it recruiting, advertising, parties, or the like, in hopes of providing a better service for you, the customer.
    Sadly, I am sorry to inform that business has been dwindling as of late, and we may have to take on some rather serious changes in order to bring in the crowd we were expecting at first.
    I make this press announcement not only to inform you all of the current status, but to ask for your opinion on the current proposals for changes.

1. Change the current anti-dancing policy - This policy of Rompa Entertainment has prevented its members from table-dancing at the bar, at first to try and provide cleaner services for you, the public, and if dances are allowed and dancers hired, it may bring in quite a crowd. The degree may vary from regular dancers to "strippers".

2. Hire our own DJ's - At first Rompa Entertainment was made to depend on other organizations for other services, to provide a non-competing service. Hiring our own DJ's, while it may prove to be competition with GSP, will allow us to throw our own parties with live music, regardless of GSP's very low availability for events.

3. Turn Rompa into a center for buffers and teamers, perhaps shifting some population, if not all, from the Bronto Burger in Omni Entertainment to the bar. This would be achieved by providing automated Teaming and Buffing services for the customers.

4. Abandon Rompa altogether and move to Baboons, only operating when there are parties at the large club.

On other matters:

5. Throw parties once a week, every saturday

6. Throw parties twice a week, on saturday and tuesdays

7. Throws parties twice a month, every other saturday

8. Throw parties once a month, on the second saturday of each month.

These are all matters I'm letting YOU the PUBLIC decide upon, please reply to this announcement with your opinions, notes, and suggestions. RE is here to provide a better service for its customers, and hopes your suggestions will allow it to continue operating.

-Wayne Harbinguer, Director of Rompa Entertainment

((I am aware there is a similar post in Reet Retreat, this is because I am hoping to ask both RPers and regular players for feedback))

/ooc

I think the answer is you have to do whatever is right for you and your guildmates. That is your prime responsibility.

That said, I hope whatever you choose does not end up involving a returnt ot he table dancing days.
    Dabblez - Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR)
    We put the Art into Artificial Intelligence!

Table dancin'? Feh! I ain't sure I'd like tha idea of drinkin' my coffee with some gal wiggling her arse a few booths farther... hmm.

((Okay seriously... I'm not fond of table dancing myself, and if people come to the bar "just for that", doesn't really speak of a good kind of crowd for me. Having parties would seem a better solution, in all honesty.

Why couldn't you have your own DJs anyway? Has GSP isued a monopoly on this, or what? First they mainly operate in Reets, second if they don't have more availability, does it mean that "parties" are forbidden elsewhere? DJ at your own parties if you want, dammit. It's a frigging *game*, if you think this can be fun, by all means, do it!

As for going to Baboon's... you wouldn't have more crowd in-between the parties, Romap's would be sad again, and if the parties can be made in Rompa's, why not do it? I guess it can be a good start ))
    Jen Markarian - Put the weirdness back in Omni-Mining
    Updating my stories -- 19/03/08. Going slowly, but certainly
    Anarchy Reloaded - AO webcomics for the sake of being silly

I never want to lose what I have finally found
    There's a requiem
    A new congregation
    And it's telling me: go forward and walk
    Under a brighter sky
    -- Delerium, Euphoria --

((Well, I'm not in Rompa as much as I once was, but I still stop by once in a while. I would definitely say that the lack of dancers is a GOOD thing... it keeps the place friendly and accessible to people, whether they are looking for a social gathering spot, a place to conduct a little business, or even a location for haranguing passers-by about their sins. ^_^

((Err...anyway, I think DJs and parties are a good idea, but there are a couple of other issues to consider: 1) A lot of people, including many would-be role players, DO NOT read these forums. I wish it weren't so, since I know the people who post here put a tremendous amount of effort into the stories they write, etc. Still, the sad fact is that an announcement in these forums is not necessarily your most effective marketing strategy.

(( 2) You mention competing against Gridstream. Competition is not inherently bad, but you should think about what it is you are setting out to accomplish. Gridstream/the Reet Retreat is most active on Friday and Saturday nights (from my experience), so maybe those AREN'T the best nights from Rompa to do a signature party. Look for opportunities, rather than trying to go head-to-head with a serious competitor.

(( 3) Focus on the things that make Rompa unique and special, and try to exploit those things. Who is your target clientel? What is the best way to reach that market? Can you produce an "ad" to run on Gridstream?

((Anyway, I suppose free advice is worth what you pay for it, but I would definitely advise against the sleeze... I suspect you would only run off the loyal customers you have, without attracting a reliable new base... *shrug* I could be wrong, though... ^_^;; ))
    Senior Partner, Schuemann & Associates (on leave)

Re: As business weakens, a leader must make a decision...

I agree with Savoy. Rompa was already pretty deserted so I would do what you think is best for your organization since you're spending the most time there.

Originally posted by Whaynn
    providing automated Teaming and Buffing services for the customers.
    ((What are you talking about here? I don't understand what you mean, but I would be very careful with either your wording or your intentions.))
    Last edited by Nevver; Feb 15th, 2004 at 13:29:54.
    Janella "Nevver" McCallagher
    Board Member of
    Devil's Advocate
    .·´¯`·..·»
    Why settle for less when you can oppress?

"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain
    "Nevver: Like the thing that hides in your closet. But worse." - Gueve

Also known as...
    Jacquelynn "Kaitakait" Moscardelli
    Sun "
    Jamais" Soleil
    Sari "
    Nixis" Wagner

[All OOC

1. While I understand you want more people to come to Rompa, I don't think table-dancers are the answer. Remember that the dancing and the stuff that followed turned a lot of people off, and helped the slow death of Rompa Bar along. I know I avoided going there, cause I really don't enjoy having a half naked chick in my face, or hearing the hooting or cyb0ring from the booth next to me. So far, RE has provided quality service, and the non-stripper thing is a big reason for me personally to choose you over any other entertainment org.

Now, if the dancing was "clean" and maybe even choreographed shows, or what have you, that is a completely different issue. I'm just not all for the stripping, table dancing shaite.

2. DJs. Go for it. GSP doesn't have any monopoly, and while their shows are mostly good, the idea of free competition is even better .

3. What Blackpetal said. Find out which group of players you want to target, and then market yourselves towards them.

4. Abandining Romps? Nooo...it's nice there! How about you do your regular business in Romps, and host parties in Babs? Both things good . Parties twice or once a month sounds good enough for me. There's already so many parties going on that the inflation-monster is creeping up on all of us. Parties with a twist, or exclusive parties, or parties with regular entertainment other than music...there's a lot of things one can do to increase the value of a party.

Anyway....this is your game experience, and you should do what you want to do to have fun. Good luck on the continued quality from RE. ]

The best advice I can provide to you would be to follow the lead of the most successful organization ever to run Rompa - Vixen Entertainment. Live shows, contests, and "atmosphere" above and beyond the "can I get you something?" is the way to draw crowds.

Trying to turn it into the next BB will be wholly-unsuccessful. The reason? BB is close to shops and every transport medium on Rubi-Ka. It is this very centrality that provides the draw to BB.

Above all else, though - be patient. Things tend not to happen overnight, and after Rompa had been essentially deserted for months before you moved your crew in, it may take a bit for people to return. But not to worry, people will.

OOC:

Firstly, I would just like to say that I enjoy Rompa a LOT. One of my characters has made a habit of showing up nearly every evening (whenever I am online) and sitting in -her- booth, being waited on by -her- waitress (Unole, who really is fun!), and sips her white wine or iced coffee while reading her notes (ie: while I read the forums).

I have seen busy nights, and I've seen nights where Alline and Unole are the only two people in the bar at all.

1) NO. Dancing will only attract cyb0ring and other icky things that most people really don't want to see. Having dancers at parties? Okay. Why not? But not sleezy table-dancers. Try actual dancers that have talent with coreography? But again, this would be appropriate at parties, or maybe in the first large room. NOT ON TABLES. Rompa is SUPPOSED to be a bit seedy, but i see it as a high-class establishment. But be careful not to attract those griefers and cyber-sluts. And please, don't become an organization for hookers. I have too much respect for you.

2) DJs: YES! That would be excellent to have a DJ in Rompa. And I agree with the person who said don't try to go head-to-head with GSP. You could be very successful if you just find your own niche, and work WITH the atmosphere of Rompa.

3) nononononono! NO! Don't do this. First, think of how many people have to reboot when they come from BB ent. The lag is horrendous. But aside from that, Rompa is known as a roleplaying spot. Leave the uber people where they are. This would only create spam and headaches, and destroy the bar-aspect of Rompa. It would cease to be anything more than the Bronto Burger is. Do you think that Bronto Chef makes any money?

4) You could use Bab's for larger parties, but I would stick to Rompa on a regular basis. It's a bit more cozy and keeps people close, even if they are not speaking to each other. I personally would rather sit in Rompa with my glass of wine than Bab's.

5-8) I would suggest a party once a week, not on saturday as that seems to be GSP's night. Try having a theme of some sort, make it very roleplay-ish. Have parties geared toward the posh Omni employees mostly, because that is who you will see there. Get to know your 'customers'. Have your waiters and waitresses ask advice on what sorts of parties your patrons would attend.

People are spreading the word about you. I've seen it. I agree it will take some time to get your booths filled regularly. But if you give your bar a jolt, like a few good parties and such, you may find more customers trickling in. And having GSP run an ad for you would only be in your best interest. Any advertisement is better than none.

Good luck and keep trying!

/ooc
    Last edited by Elle DiLaine; Feb 24th, 2004 at 05:24:22.
    Elle "Elleiah" DiLaine: Omni Bureaucrat, Atlantean
    Now a waitress for Rompa Entertainment "It's all about the booty!"
    Former slave of Slaves of Rubi-Ka

--------------------------------------------------------
    Riena "Riesse" Solo: Clan Adventurer, Atlantean
    -"My name is pronounced like 'R-E-E-S-E.' Say it with me: 'Riesse sounds like Reese.' Again: 'Riesse.' There we go! You get a L33t Tr33t(tm)!
    Assembly

((

Everyone here has good suggestions, you should consider them.

I will make it clear. I will NOT come to Rhompa again if I see strippers and table dancers. Seriously this is a virtal game, the girls cant even strip. If I wanted to see strippers I would have played Neocron or go to a club in RL. All it will do is attract immature young boys into Rhompa and seriously affect the atmospher. I like what RE has done with the atmospher and it should be kept as classy. There are other ways to attrached people. This is how Rhompa went downhill in the first place. There was strippers, gangs, crimminals... It became very unsafe for my char to be there since it attrached the wrong crowd.

DJ I dont care much for. I hardly listen to any DJing, expect Nashka to support him .

Rhompa as center for buffs...ect? Hmm possible but not productive. It is far from most things, and I doubt many would go. Perhaps it could be used as a meeting place for trade routes. A person is selling something on shopping channel, buyer meets him in Rhompa. But that really is not under RE control. But I rather see more of a RP community at Rhompa then a buffing and trade community.

I would not abondon Rhompa just yet.

Parties is a good thing. Haveing a few would diffently attract attention. Do as many as you want, but dont over do yourself.

An ad on gridstream would help you quite a bit. I know a good amount of people listen. If they hear this ad, they may come.

))

Originally posted by Drinky Crow
    One of my alts was in Vixen Entertainment but has been out of commission for a year. I take it VE has died in the interim.
    ((LONG time ago, Drinky. Treylla made a brief reappearence about two months ago, but that didn't last long.))

Betji looks at the gridposting by Whaynn, unsurprised but still dismayed, and sits down to write a thoughtful response...

Regretably, I feel the real issue is that the Shadowlands are slowly destroying the social fabric of Rubi-Ka. Pickup teams are harder to find, buffers and crafters are in shorter supply, while major organizations with many high-level members are virtually living in Adonis and beyond, effectively "gone" from Rubi-Ka for extended periods. Trade channels are full of SL items for sale at exhorbitant prices, while traditional RK goods often go begging.

It is paradoxical that just as the greenies are becoming truly active and interesting on Rubi-Ka, there are fewer and fewer people to enjoy it – because they're all busy looting the Redeemed and Unredeemed with impartial fervor. Standing around in a major garden, I see at least as much traffic as on OA Hill or Omni Ent BB. But all this traffic is purely for Shadowlands hunting. There are no natural socializing locations within a garden, and even if there were, the level and faction basis for the gardens prevents the wonderful, freewheeling interchange we all know and love in places like Rompa's, Reet's, and The Cup.

Until there is another major change in the nature of life on Rubi-Ka, until some new and unifying force that brings people back to the surface and their familiar haunts, we'll just have to do the best we can while "living in a ghost town." If you get ANY customers in Rompa's, consider it a major victory. Remember that The Cup and Reet's Retreat are just as deserted most days of the week.

Regarding specific suggestions, I really have nothing major to contribute. The ideas and thoughts from others have all been quite good. I wholeheartedly support the idea of a couple major "theme" parties each month at Babs. I believe that more entertainment within Rompa's is also good. I support the idea of an "omni elite" flavor. It's really a shame that Savoy's SRS isn't around to lend a touch of upper crust class to things.

There is also an audience for sleeze - everyone knows that. However, we all agree that introducing it to Rompa's will hurt everything else. Therefore, I suggest a weekly "strippers and table dancing" night at a suitably dive-like place. The Dancing Atrox strikes me as the best choice from an atmosphere standpoint, but teaching people how to get there could be a major obstacle. Neut's in Newland is certainly the most convenient, although Warr seems to have made off with all the furniture and left nothing but holograms in its place!

Having your own music channel for your parties and events is a fine idea, but please, please continue to use Live365 as the vehicle, since people already know how to reach and use that. The real problem is finding DJs whose taste in music is sufficiently broad to attract a wide audience.

- Betji
    still a freelance Atlantean agent

((OOC: It was obviously a business goal of Funcom to make Shadowlands advancement and items better than anything else, to encourage people to buy the expansion. They succeeded – SL advancement and goodies are clearly superior. As players understand this and learn how to get the goodies, they are leaving traditional Rubi-Ka and spending more and more time in SL. Sadly, just like their botched initial launch, FC didn't consider what success would mean. In this case, the faction system and garden setups have caused massive fragmentation and rift problems throughout the AO community. Amost all RP activities and environments have been dramatically affected. Guilds that try to support multiple levels of players are also suffering, since it's increasingly difficult to get the high-levels "out" of their remote hunting grounds to work with the lower-levels. It's as if FC deliberately had a policy of providing "what not to do" case studies for the rest of the MMOG world, and didn't want to "loose their commanding position" to various recent competitors for the #1 position in the "hall of shame."))

/ooc

Hehe, well the old SRS had to go to make room for RUR, living proof for all those locked in nostalgia that change is not always a bad thing, that the "good old days" can be improved on and basically you can make AO what you want it to be.

It's 2.5 now years be been playing AO, and I am still not bitter!
    Dabblez - Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR)
    We put the Art into Artificial Intelligence!

The things that made Devils Advocate parties successful in our day were Themes and Contests and very heavy advertising across multiple grids. Contests were usually held during live broadcasts, and were a lot of fun for both contestants and audiences.

You might want to consider looking into this route and perhaps use your ties to different organizations to donate "prizes" be they S/L items or cash. Rubi-Ka doesn't have to be abandoned just because the Shadowland portals have been opened. We just need somethig interesting to draw us back.
    Last edited by Ditzie; Feb 20th, 2004 at 23:22:04.
    Hattie "Ditzie" Wagner
    Director of "Devil's Advocate"
    A Division of "Omni-Reform"

Originally posted by Savoy
    /ooc

basically you can make AO what you want it to be.

It's 2.5 now years be been playing AO, and I am still not bitter!
    These are very wise words.
    Engineer General Virta, Omni-Pol. Not in active service.

Roleplaying Profile of Jimi "Virta" Hendrix

will allow us to throw our own parties with live music, regardless of GSP's very low availability for events.
    o.O

Intriguing that anyone would think that.

Secret li'l link: http://www.gridstream.com

Hidden li'l button on front page: http://www.gridstream.com/default.asp?go=newevent

Notation: That is NOT an invite to competition, only making the point that our availability is quite existent. Personally, I think having another DJ stream on Rubi-Ka is a great idea, it opens the ranks up for a wider variety of music available to the population. I know that not everyone likes all the music they hear on GSP. And, obviously, Rompa could never be our "home base" since it's omni.

Finally, I should note that not going through Live365 is a bad idea. live365 is legal, root server is not.
    Last edited by Tarryk; Feb 28th, 2004 at 16:10:40.
    --The connections that enable us to learn are infinitely more important than our state of knowing.

What we need is an OMNI broadcast that plays only patriotic OMNI marching music 24 hours a day, 19 days a week!
    Last edited by Nevver; Feb 28th, 2004 at 17:53:08.
    Janella "Nevver" McCallagher
    Board Member of
    Devil's Advocate
    .·´¯`·..·»
    Why settle for less when you can oppress?

"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain
    "Nevver: Like the thing that hides in your closet. But worse." - Gueve

Also known as...
    Jacquelynn "Kaitakait" Moscardelli
    Sun "
    Jamais" Soleil
    Sari "
    Nixis" Wagner

Why Nevver I was just thinking of doing such a thing a few days ago but I didn't feel like anybody was interested! This is an important option to be discussed further in-depth.

Such a station will also need to play Spanish Flea at least five times a day.
    Nezhinau 220/23 Engineer
    Building QL 300 Mutated AI Crabs Omnified with 5 gems!
    Also: 220 MA, 220 Crat, 167 Fixer, 155 MP, Dr. Toot

Originally posted by Tarryk

o.O

Intriguing that anyone would think that.
    I think he was trying to say you all are really busy, not that you're hard to find
    Michael "Talonarr" Hawke
    Clan Adventurer
    Dual Resident of Borealis/Jobe

The Choice

hmm

1. Change the current anti-dancing policy - This policy of Rompa Entertainment has prevented its members from table-dancing at the bar, at first to try and provide cleaner services for you, the public, and if dances are allowed and dancers hired, it may bring in quite a crowd. The degree may vary from regular dancers to "strippers".

2. Hire our own DJ's - At first Rompa Entertainment was made to depend on other organizations for other services, to provide a non-competing service. Hiring our own DJ's, while it may prove to be competition with GSP, will allow us to throw our own parties with live music, regardless of GSP's very low availability for events.

3. Turn Rompa into a center for buffers and teamers, perhaps shifting some population, if not all, from the Bronto Burger in Omni Entertainment to the bar. This would be achieved by providing automated Teaming and Buffing services for the customers.

4. Abandon Rompa altogether and move to Baboons, only operating when there are parties at the large club.

On other matters:

5. Throw parties once a week, every saturday

6. Throw parties twice a week, on saturday and tuesdays

7. Throws parties twice a month, every other saturday

8. Throw parties once a month, on the second saturday of each month.
    9. trade slaves?