Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: FC removing the old/orginal GUI???

FC removing the old/orginal GUI???

Originally posted by Cz
    - Graphical glitch with GUI windows.
    Known bug, and should only happen when you first log in. Closing and opening windown again removes it. Won't be focused on until the new GUI is fully implemented and the old removed, as it's a conflict between the two.
    Quoted from Cz's post about the 15.4.1 update
    Status @ 9:30am UTC/GMT Wednesday

Am I reading this correctly? Are you going to remove the old GUI(the one first released with AO)?????

PLEASE PLEASE don't remove the old GUI!!!! I've been using the old GUI since beta... I love my old gui and absolutly hate the new one. Please do not remove this.
    Linxz, 209 Doctor
    Tripleload, 170 Soldier
    Nulinx, 150ish NT

I can see them removing it. I would imagine that many things that go into making the new GUI work are in conflict with the old one. (As it has been said)

This being the case, the players using the new GUI would suffer from everyone still using the old one. One of the other posts that was made shows that we will most likely be able to skin the new GUI and based on some stuff that people have said, there might be much more possibility to customize the new GUI once it is fully implemented. I don't think its a bad thing.

I know that I stuck it out with the old one for awhile, but eventually I got sick of some things with it, and now I exclusivly use the new GUI.
    215 Solitus Soldier RK1
    Advisor Midnight Reveries.

Do politics exist? Yes.
    Who's involved in them? Anyone who wants to be.

If you spend your time worrying about what everyone else is doing in their lives, you'll miss what's happening in yours.

As much as I detest the 'new' gui, it is also a work in progress and I'm sure not complete.

The biggest reason for me not using it is the inability to cut off part of your game window and fill it with (usually) my team/status/map window.

In the new gui, all those windows just overlap the 'interface' near the bottom and you need to be running some pretty high resolutions to actually use it without running in to that problem. Doable, but with SLs being such a resource hog, doing so starts to negatively impair my gaming. And I have a pretty high end computer. (It seems very obvious to me that whoever is developing it does not run the game at the standard 1024/768 res.)

Either adding a cut-away in the new gui just like there is in the old, or allowing us to make all that pretty crap that covers the bottom and partially the sides vanish so that our important windows didn't stack over them and give us headaches trying to look at overlapped graphics would make me switch in a heartbeat.

Please do not take out the old gui till that new one is a lot more 'finished' then say...your patches are.
    179 MA Equipment
    200 MP
    160 Doc
    150 Keeper
    200 Agent
    200 MA

"Camping and farming is a very bad thing. I hate it. We will do everything we can to avoid this, and I am very positive we will succeed." -Marius

(This sounds familiar. Lol. I am beginning to think of Gaute as Lord Sidious, and Marius as his apprentice. :/)

God no. I hate the new GUI. Please don't take away my option to use it.

Re: FC removing the old/orginal GUI???

Originally posted by Linxz

PLEASE PLEASE don't remove the old GUI!!!! I've been using the old GUI since beta... I love my old gui and absolutly hate the new one. Please do not remove this.
    Lets keep the old GUI, I hate the new one too.
    Funcom Content Designer

How to get started on TestLive
    How to write bug reports

A lot of small steps make one giant leap forward.
    "Patchnotes: Nerfed all characters named Metaing, they where too powerful."
    To bug or not to bug, that is the question
    Run like a man or Die like a woman

I agree, Keep the old one.
    The new ones like trying to pilot a spaceship
    So many buttons and commands.

Originally posted by Peisinoe
    The biggest reason for me not using it is the inability to cut off part of your game window and fill it with (usually) my team/status/map window.

In the new gui, all those windows just overlap the 'interface' near the bottom and you need to be running some pretty high resolutions to actually use it without running in to that problem. Doable, but with SLs being such a resource hog, doing so starts to negatively impair my gaming. And I have a pretty high end computer. (It seems very obvious to me that whoever is developing it does not run the game at the standard 1024/768 res.)

Either adding a cut-away in the new gui just like there is in the old, or allowing us to make all that pretty crap that covers the bottom and partially the sides vanish so that our important windows didn't stack over them and give us headaches trying to look at overlapped graphics would make me switch in a heartbeat.
    Yes, doubt any of the devs play in anything but 1600x1200 otherwise they would have made a lot of options to reduce all the crap in the new GUI, and arranged the stuff nicely. It might be nice arranged along the edges in 1600x1200 but anything below that half the screen is full of windows, so you cant see anything, its like having tunnel vision.
    Funcom Content Designer

How to write bug reports

Oh no, please don't make me use the new gui...I only play in 1024 since it keeps the framerates up (especially in SL) this is essentially making people play in high res with lots of clutter!

Whats the point of taking out the old one anyway? Its great!
    Apprentice Raidea - Lv 215, Supreme Creator - Setup
    Veteran of Nemesis

NightGhost: Perhaps it doesn't take two to make an idiotic argument, altho you have proven for a fact, that one man indeed, can make two idiotic arguments.

Bero: I think, I made my point, there is no noticeable difference between lvl 165 and 190 and even between 160 and 200, the difference is small…

God no...if they remove the old GUI I will probably move on to another game. The new GUI is really messy even on 1280*960 Resolution, with windows and buttons everywhere. Stats spread on the whole screen. Please, do NOT remove the old GUI.

*writing a feedback*
    I'm a runaway train on a broken track,
    I'm a ticker on a bomb that you can't turn back this time,
    that's right, I got away with it all and I'm still alive

Does FC have any stats on how many ppl use the old GUI vs the new one, or is it totally client sided ? I know lots of ppl using the old as they hate the new one.
    Funcom Content Designer

How to write bug reports

I also am no fan of the new GUI. The old one is simple, I don't like the clogging buttons and such on the new one.

Not to mention the new GUI looks horrible, while the old GUI has many nice eye-pleasing skins.

So, mark me down on the, "I wanna stick with the old GUI" list. If there is one.

Just my humble comments.
    Clan Agent Mrbbad &
    Omni-Tek Bureaucrat Rockstar! Mrbb &
    Clan Rockin' Doc Drgaius &
    Clan Engineer Rockstarr

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Account Created: June 27, 2001.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

I think the new one is far supeior to the old one

My beef with the new GUI is you open a menu and it isnt like the old one were it stays to the right of the screen so you can scroll thru it. The menus float around and then you have to remeber which icon to hit to turn off the menu you have up, which in turn is usually hidden under another menu.

Simplicity is the key to good play control.

yeah likewise i really am not a fan of the new gui. For one its big and clunky and takes up a large amount of the screen. For another its hard to manage the positions of things. For a third its annoying to have to go through a set of menus to get to what you could previously with a simple click or ctrl+#
    President of Midnight Reveries

One of the most enoying things about the new I think is the HP/nano/XP bas ... hate the location of them .. will take months for my eyes to adjust to looking 10cm down ... Tryed playing the new GUI for a week or two but i couldnt.... got so frustrated ... only good thing as i see it now ..is the option to fade efrything ..and the buttons for emotes ... but it would still be better whit a biger hotbar whit 20-30 icons then i could have my emotes there instead .... hmmm

and yes .. feels like its suited to work at 1600x1200 ... hmm I run 1280x1024 witch i think is fairly high rez ...but whit the new GUI it feels like running 800x600 again like back in the days on my old computer .... and I have lower FPS whit new GUI
    Synaptikk, Adventurer, Omni, RK-1
    Zhaga, Engineer, Omni, RK-1
    Foulplay, Agent, Omni, RK-1

KEEPER OF "ADVBOT" @ RK-1, JOIN!! (read about it)

"Moment of terror is the beginning of life" - Front242

I've been using the new GUI since shortly after SL's release. It took some getting used to, but I've come to like it. I don't see any reason why it should be necessary to remove it entirely though. A GUI is just that...an INTERFACE...no future changes to AO should necessitate removing the option of using the old GUI.

They need to leave the old one as a permanent option.

Please keep the old one
    General of Adrenaline Rush
    Randomtasks 206 Adv - Vanguard Pistolero
    Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.
    -Sun-tzu, The Art of War.

Re: Re: FC removing the old/orginal GUI???

Originally posted by Metaing
    Lets keep the old GUI, I hate the new one too.

for once how about the devs not make work arounds and actually fix something
    BettyRoss (A) dont ever turn yer back on a shady motha backstab4lyfe
    Gwend (A) The original complete healing engineer
    wtts :: prof ring quests

the "i dont need punctuation" army

!!!!

I too have a violent hatred for the new GUI.

Don't get rid of it. I shouldn't have part of my screen blocked because some dutchman has a fascination with the curvy-ergonomic craze.

I like having squares shaped things that I can move around.

Most importanly, I don't like WASTING viewable area on my monitor, and the "new" GUI IS NOT SPACE-EFFICIENT!!!!

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast