Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Pandemonium Backstory?

So, the Beast is dead. Finally. Protector of the Source....

It spawned Number Nine, a Machine, which ends his conversation about how we are doomed, how they are coming. It certainly explains the whole thing. The Aliens are coming because they fear our presence with the source, they are coming to stop us getting control over the source.

However, we are still left with a question....what exactly happened to Pandemonium, and how did the beast come to be? I had hoped we would been told this, but alas..
    I'm a runaway train on a broken track,
    I'm a ticker on a bomb that you can't turn back this time,
    that's right, I got away with it all and I'm still alive

Originally posted by Lusitano
    Regarding the folder for endboss ive been listening carefully to the sounds and they do sound alot Alien wich may have something to do with the Alien Invasion, specially the dying sound is very interesting as it sound like several screams at once echoing wich goes well with the source story ,the protector of everything and possibly the beast is not a single entity but several together or part of the source or the land itself =X
    I'm impressed, didn't think you guys would notice. And yes, there is a story related reason for the sounds.

Well, not just that, but the sound effects of the Endboss, if that is The Beast (did anyone notice what sounds he made), are amalgamations of the sounds of other creatures. I distinctly hear Eremites, Mantises, and Hydrae at the very least.

As to the death sound... that seems very different from when I first listened to the folder. I distinctly remember saying at one point, "This is the death sound of the last boss? That's kind of lame." This one is much better. And sure enough, the timestamp is 3/4/2004, not 11/13/2003 like the rest of the folder.

Given Number Nine's conversation, and the Great Dying we've heard about on the Aliens' planet, it may well be that the death of The Beast was the initiating event that brings the aliens to us, in the storyline.
    Last edited by Krystanova; May 3rd, 2004 at 16:10:08.
    Rhiannon "Krystanova" Pourier
    Xenobiologist and Explorer, 179 Adventurer
    Explorer 100%, Achiever 53%, Socializer 47%, Killer 0%

Visit Faunlore: Rubi-Kan Wildlife, the Anarchy Online bestiary!

Does anyone have the exact dialog that Number 9 says after the Beast is killed?

Here's the pics of it, courtesy of Docster.

Also, while editing the loot tables for The Beast for Faunlore, I came across this weapon. The description is quite interesting, and may have something to do with the death of the Beast and the aliens (that is... they are the neutral faction).
    Last edited by Krystanova; May 3rd, 2004 at 17:53:10.
    Rhiannon "Krystanova" Pourier
    Xenobiologist and Explorer, 179 Adventurer
    Explorer 100%, Achiever 53%, Socializer 47%, Killer 0%

Visit Faunlore: Rubi-Kan Wildlife, the Anarchy Online bestiary!

I love reading about this stuff....makes me want to jump on AO and do some investigative work myself.

edit: anyone ever notice how the enigma area in CAV looks like a 2D picture of a camera? lol, but really, I have been trying to figure out that areay for some time. Visiting the spots that it points to, and attempting to talk to everything. sigh, oh well back on topic
    Last edited by Trilic; May 5th, 2004 at 21:41:05.
    Currently sniffing the back of your neck.
    Trilic lvl 215 Meta-Physicist Deity
    W
    ..:: Got Mocham? No? Then try The MP Guide. ::..

I wrote a little somethin about AO/SL since the recent death of the Beast. Since the game devs have decided to leave us out in the cold as far the storyline, I think I made a lot of it up. Anyway, please read this and give me some feedback on what you think, especially I have the story all wrong!

Thanks a bunch. Here's the article:

http://spud.pureinsanity.net/beast.rtf

EDIT:

And for those that don't want to download the rtf, I'll just post it:

-----------------------------------------------------

May 2nd, 29478 A.D.:

The Beast - or The Protector - has been slain. (It took about 75 level 200+ people to do it. Omni-Tek and Clan worked together toward this common objective.)
    The Beast is the final confrontation in the Shadowlands. Yes, that means the game has technically been "beaten." For the first time ever.

The Beast guarded the Source, which is believed to be the source of all life in the Universe. The Shadowlands is essentially Rubi-Ka as experienced through a wormhole. It occupies the same space, but in a drastically different point in time and dimension. The two dimensions were converged at one time, but were ripped apart by a mysterious cataclysm eons ago. The intelligent life in the Shadowlands consists primarily of two warring factions, called the Redeemed and the Unredeemed. These beings are ancient beyond our comprehension, and deeply fanatic. It is said they were once one and the same, though some unknown event divided them for the rest of eternity. The Redeemed traversed the Universe, using the power of the Source to create and harbor life of all forms everywhere they went. As such, the human race on Earth was synthesized by the Redeemed so many eons ago. The Unredeemed, however, wished only to create life when it was beneficial or necessary. Therefore, neither side is inherently evil, but they are both fighting to regain power over the Source. These differences are likely the reason the two factions split.

Long, long before us humans were ever created however, the Redeemed/Unredeemed (which at that time may have been called the Xan, or the Xan may have just been another race that they created) invented another society on the other side of the Universe. These "aliens," being millenia older than us, obviously posess much superior technology. It is theorized that the Aliens are responsible for creating the dimensional rift we know as the Shadowlands once they realized the terrible potential available to the Redeemed/Unredeemed by controlling the Source. So, the Aliens banished their own makers, along with the interface to the Source itself, into a temporal fold in time and space, which even now is slowly decaying into metaphysical nothingness. (I guess temporal folds in space-time are not particularly stable.) To guard the Source for all time to come, its power was used one last time to incarnate a beast of unprecedented power. Naturally, it was known only as The Beast.

Human civilization evolved naturally for thousands of years, rising and falling through great triumphs and dark ages. In the year 28702, we were drawn to the distant planet of Rubi-Ka, initially for capitalistic ventures, of course. Rubi-Ka contained huge amounts of a new element, the likes of which had never been seen. This element, called Notum, was the key to enhancing our previously limited nano-bot technology ten-fold. The mega-corporation Omni-Tek was the first to lease exclusive rights to the planet, making way for the largest, most powerful galactic monopoly mankind had ever seen.

Centuries later, notum was no less important to civilization, and Rubi-Ka had developed its own deep culture, fraught with its own social conflict (which is another story altogether!) The most important advancement, however, was in the interdimensional studies, as wormholes were harnessed and stabilized. These wormholes led us to the discovery of the Shadowlands, and to its imprisoned inhabitants; our Creators. Through the eons of their isolation and constant war amongst themselves, they remember little of their former selves. However, as the humans flooded through the temporal portals to explore the Shadowlands, they uncovered many historical artifacts that shed light on the past.

The in-game description of one such item, the Codex Clavis: (Names of people and places are obviously translated into names that humans would be familiar with. They have nothing relation to the old mideval legend.)

This is the remnants of the Codex Clavis; a collection of explanations concerning the origins and functions of many of the immortal beings in the Shadowlands. It is often self-contradicting and confusing. All in all it doesn't seem to be all too relieable. Some extracts:

Verse 41: 'But when the First of Xan reached the core of the source, a being materialized at the heart of the well. At the very same moment a rift appeared and split time in two. Creatures of chaos, that originated in times before time was tamed, started eating at the brinks. Then the being opened its eyes and a silence fell over the newly created Shadowlands. This being was the Fisher King, the entity that later turned into The Beast, the Keeper of the Source.
    Verse 49: But when the crowd had grown weary of trying to open the lid, a young boy appeared. He was Merlin. He thrust the sword through the lid and the source poured through him. He had been chosen and Ergo immediately set him to guard the source.
    The Verse 73: As they opened the twentieth vein a crack in time appeared. Boys turned to old men in the blink of an eye, and blood poured from the sky. The old and the new world were split in two forever, but worst of all: The Fisher King was dead.
    Verse 117: 'When the Xan had set the wounded men to secure the free flow from the source, these men gathered the best warriors among the Xan. They sat the chosen Arthur to lead them. Among the first were Gawain with the Green Shield, Galahad the White Stag, Red Hand Mordred, Morgaine the Riddle-Maker, Merlin Ambrosius and Ergo the Smith.
    Verse 195: The Fisher King was one with the land. As the land was torn apart, so was he. Eight times a new hero sacrified him- or herself to keep the King alive - and he was no longer one soul, but eight. Before he had the body of twenty, now he also had the mind of eight.
    Verse 204: Ergo chose twenty Knights, each raised from the lands, each from separate houses. He set them to protect the trees, never to leave their posts. In return for their services they gained immortality.
    Verse 232: Then the Xan realised they could not separate King Arthur from the heart of the source, and they started building Ergo, to protect the land and the veins. His knights abandoned him and for aeons he was left alone, to grow mad and corrupted - with only one wish left: To be able to die. But the source kept him there, and nobody came to relieve him.
    Verse: 248: So they gathered their finest knights around them and let them bathe in the source. Then they gave them the keys to the arks and sent them away - each in their own direction.
    Verse: 261: Nyame wished no longer to speak with him. The Xan sacrified their finest treasures, to no avail; the lands could never be brought together again, and the age of Xan had come to its end.

The Beast was killed three days ago. At the instant of its death, the army of humans that destroyed it were presented with a portal that materialized in its place. This portal led to an interdimensional "purgatory," inhabited only by a mechanical droid identifying itself as "Number Nine." Number Nine proceeded to inform the weary warriors of the grave mistake they had just unwittingly commited. After delivering its foreboding message, yet another portal was spawned, and those brave enough to pass through it found themselves back among the ancient ruins of Rubi-Ka.

Killing The Beast left the Source exposed and unprotected for the first time in countless millenia. Number Nine was programmed by the Aliens solely to transmit the message back to them in the event of the Beast's death. Now, the Aliens are quite pissed off at us for unwittingly putting the Universe in jeapordy, and they are on their way over here right now to kick our ass. The stage has been set by the players for the next expansion to the game, called "Alien Invasion."
    Last edited by Spud347; May 6th, 2004 at 01:01:53.
    Main: Chando

Originally posted by Spud347
    Now, the Aliens are quite pissed off at us for unwittingly putting the Universe in jeapordy, and they are on their way over here right now to kick our ass.
    Like hell we will let them! .... we will take as many of them down before any of us will.

We will kill them all within time then take the war to their home planet and kick THEIR ass(if any) :P
    Last edited by Dargante; May 6th, 2004 at 04:40:32.

hmm....from what i've read everyone seems to assume that number 9 was build by/works for the aliens....
    why? i don't get it. i've been looking at the screenshots from the conversation and it definitely looks like whoever left that message wasn't alltogether too happy about them coming.
    so, while it's save to say that number 9 knows about them i don't see how anyone or anything working for them could say something like "you are forcing their hand and [rubi ka is in danger. for what?]" and "there is no stopping them" and whatnot. besides he also said that "they are always in tune" so i doubt anyone would need to send them a message for them to know. it sounds more like number nine was built to warn whoever defeated the beast, prepare rk for whatever was coming. also the robot doesn't sound alltogether to happy that they're coming. of course if he was on their side he wouldn't either (them being FORCED to and all) but he seems to be more concerned about what would be done to rk than about what has been done to them.
    what it sounds like to me anyway.

either way, great story (and post).
    keep it coming

And you are right about that Arima-kun. Number 9 is more like giving us a warning about "them". More likely Number 9 was built by someone else or another race that knew about "them" and how "they" were connected to The Source. And knowing that "them" would go back to RK once The Source has been free(killing The Beast) and most likely destroy that planet(RK).

So whoever created Number 9, knew or knows(if still alive now) about "them" somehow and made Number 9 to give the warning to those that killed The Beast so they would know about what will happen soon.

So Number 9 is a "Detection Machine". It detected that The Source was freed and it is now detectable by "them" and "they" will now come to RK for The Source. To use it? to steal it? to seal it back? We dont know..... yet.

Maybe The Beast was created by that unknown race to seal The Source's wave signals so "they" wouldnt detect it and prevent "them" from harvesting The Source for their own use.

Maybe the unknown race is evil and "them" are the good guys. Or maybe it is the other way around too. We dont know. Time will tell.

Basically, The Source was freed and "them" are coming. According to Number 9. So he is more like a Warning and Detection Machine. Preparing us for ..... "them".

First of all, I bow down in respect for a awesome post and summary of the story Spud.

I do have some questions about the Codex, that got me thinking when I read it now..

Verse 41: 'But when the First of Xan reached the core of the source, a being materialized at the heart of the well.
    "A Being" So the Being is the Fisher King, and it apparently just "materialized" from the Source. But for what Purpose? Evil or Good? From the coming section, I would believe good or neutral as of now.

At the very same moment a rift appeared and split time in two. Creatures of chaos, that originated in times before time was tamed, started eating at the brinks.
    I`m not sure about this section. This doesnt look like the work of the Fisher King. It looks like the Xan triggered the event that created Rubi-Ka and Shadowlands, and caused both the Fisher King to materialize, and the Hecklers and Brink Monsters to wake up and go rampage, where the ones in Shadowlands turned out much more evil than the Golems found on Rubi-Ka.

Then the being opened its eyes and a silence fell over the newly created Shadowlands. This being was the Fisher King, the entity that later turned into The Beast, the Keeper of the Source.
    I`m still not sure how to understand this. The Fisher King comes to life, but is it still good, or is it evil? Or is it just born to be a keeper of the source, bound to guard it, and driven into madness and evil by its power?

Verse 49: But when the crowd had grown weary of trying to open the lid, a young boy appeared. He was Merlin. He thrust the sword through the lid and the source poured through him. He had been chosen and Ergo immediately set him to guard the source.
    I suspect there is some vital information between Verse 41 and 49 that we need to piece more things together here. What Lid? And...what does this mean about Ergo Choosing him to guard the Source, I thought the Fisher King did that? I`m still confused about that part.

The Verse 73: As they opened the twentieth vein a crack in time appeared. Boys turned to old men in the blink of an eye, and blood poured from the sky. The old and the new world were split in two forever, but worst of all: The Fisher King was dead.
    Here it is. The Cataclysm that permanently divided Rubi-Ka and Shadowlands(It already refers it to the Old(Shadowlands I assume) and the New(Rubi-Ka I assume) world, and it killed The Fisher King, Guardian of the Source. Most likely, this also caused all the catastrophes to destroy Shadowlands, drown the whole city in Adonis, Permanently Freeze Penumbra, and most likely...turn Pandemonium into hell.

The Question is, earlier it says the Fisher King would turn into the Beast, but in this Verse, he dies? Did the Fisher King turn into The Beast after his death? What happened to Merlin, who would guard the source?

Verse 117: 'When the Xan had set the wounded men to secure the free flow from the source, these men gathered the best warriors among the Xan. They sat the chosen Arthur to lead them. Among the first were Gawain with the Green Shield, Galahad the White Stag, Red Hand Mordred, Morgaine the Riddle-Maker, Merlin Ambrosius and Ergo the Smith.
    One interesting part, that bodes bad for us, but also explains why releasing the source is bad. From what I can see, The Xan wanted to seal the source, to avoid any more cataclysms. Most likely, Number Nine know all this, and now that we killed the beast, he knew that we triggered another cataclysm, the coming of the Aliens. Most Likely, The Aliens have some delicate backgroundstory with Shadowlands, all the way back to the first time the Xan came to the Source and caused all this, and now they know we have done it again, and they are coming to stop us. But are they coming to stop us from destryoing them, us, or both?

I find it really interesting how it talks about the best Warriors of the Xan, and how Ergo, is one of them. Wasnt Ergo created? And left behind to corrupt? There`s something fishy going on behind the scenes...parts unexplained.

Contradictions, it says that The Fisher King was the keeper of the Source, and would later turn into the Beast. It also says that Merlin was sent to Guard the Source. Unless there is some uber boss in Pandemonium called Merlin, I fail to see his connection with Pandemonium. More in Inferno though, where his remains are found by the armor parts.

It also seems that these so called "Best Warriors of Xan" was already around the Source way before they organized to control it, as shown in Verse 49. Merlin got the source right through him, and if I didnt know better, I`d believe he would turn out to be the Beast, but again, this contradicts the story about the Fisher King.

I`m still really confused.

Add: When it comes to Excalibur`s End...could it be that when the worlds were divided, Arthur and his knights sealed off the connections between Shadowlands and Rubi-Ka? Or could it be the boy Merlin who sealed it of?

The Sentence: "He was Merlin. He thrust the sword through the lid"
    Makes me wonder about this. In the Legend, it was Merlin who got the sword by the Sea Goddess, and it was Arthur who pulled it up(with supposedly some tricks by Merlin). After all, Arthur is Merlin`s son.
    It is clearly Excalibur which is planted in the ground, into the rock...and maybe just like the legend...only someone pure in heart can remove it from the Stone. Could the portal be leading from Elysium to Camelot? Could the Crazy Clan Knight be sane after all, following the Knights of the Round`s Legacy?
    Last edited by Engelen; May 6th, 2004 at 11:29:19.

first of all...no idea about this quoting thing so i'll just set everything you said in <>
    phew. biig post *rolls up sleeves*
    well, there we go

<Originally posted by Engelen
    First of all, I bow down in respect for a awesome post and summary of the story Spud.

I do have some questions about the Codex, that got me thinking when I read it now..

"A Being" So the Being is the Fisher King, and it apparently just "materialized" from the Source. But for what Purpose? Evil or Good? From the coming section, I would believe good or neutral as of now.>

well neutral i guess. protector of the source. no reason to be good or evil in that sense. btw does anyone remember the Weapons from Final Fantasy VII that were born when the planet needed guarding? kinda reminds me of that

<I`m not sure about this section. This doesnt look like the work of the Fisher King. It looks like the Xan triggered the event that created Rubi-Ka and Shadowlands, and caused both the Fisher King to materialize, and the Hecklers and Brink Monsters to wake up and go rampage, where the ones in Shadowlands turned out much more evil than the Golems found on Rubi-Ka.>

i can only second that. some sort of reaction, not really anyones DOING. maybe just like the Fisher King, an immune reaction to seperate what intrudes (aka Xan) from the Source that still resides in the Shadowlands

<I`m still not sure how to understand this. The Fisher King comes to life, but is it still good, or is it evil? Or is it just born to be a keeper of the source, bound to guard it, and driven into madness and evil by its power?>

hm, as i said, keeper of the Source. the corruption part later in the post

<I suspect there is some vital information between Verse 41 and 49 that we need to piece more things together here. What Lid? And...what does this mean about Ergo Choosing him to guard the Source, I thought the Fisher King did that? I`m still confused about that part.>

hm, i guess the lid is the portal to the source, maybe to the Shadowlands seeing the separation as a defense mechanism and the Xan trying to get back to the Source to be able to get its power. on the other hand, someone would have to take care nobody abuses that power too much (or maybe they wanted to keep the power of the Source in their hands against opposing factions in the Xan population or something like that). so, he doesn't have to be the "official" guardian (meaning chosen or created by the Source) but he may as well be the Xans way of keeping the Source away from someone else

<Here it is. The Cataclysm that permanently divided Rubi-Ka and Shadowlands(It already refers it to the Old(Shadowlands I assume) and the New(Rubi-Ka I assume) world, and it killed The Fisher King, Guardian of the Source. Most likely, this also caused all the catastrophes to destroy Shadowlands, drown the whole city in Adonis, Permanently Freeze Penumbra, and most likely...turn Pandemonium into hell.

The Question is, earlier it says the Fisher King would turn into the Beast, but in this Verse, he dies? Did the Fisher King turn into The Beast after his death? What happened to Merlin, who would guard the source?>

well you answered yourself i guess. it says the Fisher King WOULD turn into the source. so probably yeah, the death of the Fisher King might be what created the Beast. or maybe dying is just a metaphor for him going crazy/being corrupted.
    Merlin? not sure what happened to him but i wouldn't be surprised if he died in whatever happened then seeing that you can loot his armor all over the place (more or less)

<One interesting part, that bodes bad for us, but also explains why releasing the source is bad. From what I can see, The Xan wanted to seal the source, to avoid any more cataclysms. Most likely, Number Nine know all this, and now that we killed the beast, he knew that we triggered another cataclysm, the coming of the Aliens. Most Likely, The Aliens have some delicate backgroundstory with Shadowlands, all the way back to the first time the Xan came to the Source and caused all this, and now they know we have done it again, and they are coming to stop us. But are they coming to stop us from destryoing them, us, or both?>

eh. yeah. nothing more to say about this.
    btw...wasn't there a movie with a robot called number 9 that developed a consciousness? unrelated but just a thought

<I find it really interesting how it talks about the best Warriors of the Xan, and how Ergo, is one of them. Wasnt Ergo created? And left behind to corrupt? There`s something fishy going on behind the scenes...parts unexplained.>

it says Ergo the smith. maybe he named his creation after himself. and if not....no reason why a computer can't walk around in a bio-/mechanical body. definitely interesting though, especially seeing how one of the bad guys (the red hand) is on the good team all of a sudden. i wouldn't be surprised if there was some treachery going on there

<Contradictions, it says that The Fisher King was the keeper of the Source, and would later turn into the Beast. It also says that Merlin was sent to Guard the Source. Unless there is some uber boss in Pandemonium called Merlin, I fail to see his connection with Pandemonium. More in Inferno though, where his remains are found by the armor parts.>

as i said earlier. only because there is the Keeper of the Source doesn't mean someone else can't dispatch a guard. other than that, as before, i think Merlin died at some point. might as well have been in Inferno.

edit: and before i forget it. Merlin according to the legend aged backwards. so maybe (in game) after the Source overloaded him (so to speak) he did so too. so by now he would have ....disappeared. become younger and younger and just stop existing at one point. or at least changed into something else.....darned if i know in what

<It also seems that these so called "Best Warriors of Xan" was already around the Source way before they organized to control it, as shown in Verse 49. Merlin got the source right through him, and if I didnt know better, I`d believe he would turn out to be the Beast, but again, this contradicts the story about the Fisher King.>

that just reminded me...didn't the Beast have the body of many? maybe that's what happened to Merlin?

<I`m still really confused.>

me too now. thanks :P

<Add: When it comes to Excalibur`s End...could it be that when the worlds were divided, Arthur and his knights sealed off the connections between Shadowlands and Rubi-Ka? Or could it be the boy Merlin who sealed it of?>

as i said earlier. it sounds more like he wanted to OPEN it. who thrusts a sword through something and expects it to be sealed (sealing a sword IN something is another story though)

<The Sentence: "He was Merlin. He thrust the sword through the lid"
    Makes me wonder about this. In the Legend, it was Merlin who got the sword by the Sea Goddess, and it was Arthur who pulled it up(with supposedly some tricks by Merlin). After all, Arthur is Merlin`s son.
    It is clearly Excalibur which is planted in the ground, into the rock...and maybe just like the legend...only someone pure in heart can remove it from the Stone. Could the portal be leading from Elysium to Camelot? Could the Crazy Clan Knight be sane after all, following the Knights of the Round`s Legacy? >

well it's not like Merlin never got to use the thing. besides, didn't you watch the movie with Sam Neill?
    eh, nothing more to say. really. promise.
    *passes out*
    Last edited by Arima-kun; May 6th, 2004 at 13:11:30.

Off topic, basically u click where it says "quote" at the bottom right corner of a person's post. Then delete what you dont want to quote from that person and you can also add whatever you want to write right below the quote.

If you want to quote little pieces of a person's post, then what I do is just copy the first part of the quote -->
    .Originally posted by Meiyen [B] <-- then copy whatever little part you want to post and after that little part you close the quote by --> .
    <-- .... Dont use the --> nor <-- btw, its just a way to separate things while im writing this information. Also I put a . in there too so the forum doesnt literally change it into a "quote"

Much better that way and easier to read too
    Last edited by Dargante; May 6th, 2004 at 13:59:21.

hehehe i tried that but it only quoted what she wrote, not the quotes she used. also, when i tried inserting stuff it came out as if what i said also was part of the quote. now i'm sure i know what to do about it but i'm just so darn lazy

Wow thanks for the answers and reply Anima. Lol yeah, I have seen "Merlin" with Sam Neill(I loved it by the way), but I suppose you know that the Arthurian Legend is not written in stone, there are countless variations in the small details, and I just cant find my self to read them all, so I stuck to one that explained it from Merlin`s view(I like Merlin more than Arthur ). Wether or not it speaks as true as it can to the source or belived original material will just have to pass, but I find it a good story(and a happy ending ).

Yep, the Codex does throw a lot of confusion into the mix. Keep in mind that I didn't write the Codex, it's the in-game description of the actual item, and therefore it's Funcom's work. However, like many "holy" books, its stories are cryptic, symbolic, and contradictory. It was likely written by tribal observers, much like our "holy" books, and not the history-makers themselves. So take it with a grain of salt.
    Main: Chando

Yep, the Codex does throw a lot of confusion into the mix. Keep in mind that I didn't write the Codex, it's the in-game description of the actual item, and therefore it's Funcom's work.
    Yeah I know, funny you should say that, I kinda felt like I was directly quoting you and not the codex But I really liked your Story Summary though, and I dont have any objections about it...now if only the Codex was more understandable

Originally posted by Arima-kun
    hmm....from what i've read everyone seems to assume that number 9 was build by/works for the aliens....
    why? i don't get it. i've been looking at the screenshots from the conversation and it definitely looks like whoever left that message wasn't alltogether too happy about them coming.
    so, while it's save to say that number 9 knows about them i don't see how anyone or anything working for them could say something like "you are forcing their hand and [rubi ka is in danger. for what?]" and "there is no stopping them" and whatnot. besides he also said that "they are always in tune" so i doubt anyone would need to send them a message for them to know. it sounds more like number nine was built to warn whoever defeated the beast, prepare rk for whatever was coming. also the robot doesn't sound alltogether to happy that they're coming. of course if he was on their side he wouldn't either (them being FORCED to and all) but he seems to be more concerned about what would be done to rk than about what has been done to them.
    what it sounds like to me anyway.

either way, great story (and post).
    keep it coming

I dont think Number Nine was a messager either. I think he is just put there to warn us. If you remember when The Beast was killed it said "Many thousand voices scream into your ears in agony and pain ..." Putting two and two togehter, I would say those where the Aliens screaming, and they already know about The Beast dieing, they dont need a messanager to tell them.
    Currently sniffing the back of your neck.
    Trilic lvl 215 Meta-Physicist Deity
    W
    ..:: Got Mocham? No? Then try The MP Guide. ::..

Engelen said:

The Question is, earlier it says the Fisher King would turn into the Beast, but in this Verse, he dies? Did the Fisher King turn into The Beast after his death? What happened to Merlin, who would guard the source?

----------------------

Just saw Van Helsing yesterday, and if I understood it correctly Dracula was killed when he was young, and then made a pact with the devil to come back and be immortal, dunno if there is an original story about how Dracula's origin is tough.

So perhaps when Fisher king died the source, sent him back as the beast to protect it? But this theory gives the source "life" so might be off I dunno

Arima-kun said:

edit: and before i forget it. Merlin according to the legend aged backwards. so maybe (in game) after the Source overloaded him (so to speak) he did so too. so by now he would have ....disappeared. become younger and younger and just stop existing at one point. or at least changed into something else.....darned if i know in what

-------------

Aliens spring into my mind here, can he be with the aliens?

And another thing, someone said that when the beast died he screamed with the sound of a thousand voices, and someone else said that it was made up of many bodies, and then the thing about lots of aliens dying due to stuff on RK, so the beast is a connection to then aswell I guess.

This normally talks against what I asid earlier again tough.

But what's the stat of the "main-ppl" of the story atm then?

Merlin - chillin with aliens?
    Fisherman - The beast - Alien bodies?!? something isn't right there ^^
    What about the other ones?
    Last edited by project; May 8th, 2004 at 15:39:28.

Originally posted by project

----------------------

Just saw Van Helsing yesterday, and if I understood it correctly Dracula was killed when he was young, and then made a pact with the devil to come back and be immortal, dunno if there is an original story about how Dracula's origin is tough.

So perhaps when Fisher king died the source, sent him back as the beast to protect it? But this theory gives the source "life" so might be off I dunno

quick off-topic... van helsing's first name was gabriel.

saint gabriel (the archangel)

"And so it was that not merely an angel but the archangel Gabriel was sent to the Virgin Mary. It was only fitting that the highest angel should come to announce the greatest of all messages.... So too Gabriel, who is called God's strength, was sent to Mary. He came to announce the One who appeared as a humble man to quell the cosmic powers. Thus God's strength announced the coming of the Lord of the heavenly powers, mighty in battle"

you will also notice that he says that it was he, who sat at the Left hand of God, and who had also killed dracula before =)

by the way, i think y'all are on the right track with your ideas... however, some things ive found:

"When Sir Perceval, a knight of the court of King Arthur, met the wounded Fisher King, he was given the opportunity to heal the king. He could do this by asking about the Holy Grail that was being carried in procession before him. As we read this story, we too meet our inner Fisher King, lying gravely wounded, waiting for someone to come and save him. We have an opportunity to heal the Fisher King. If we succeed, the gift of the Holy Grail will be ours to use in our lives. "

a little about the fisher king...

but i decided to start at the beginning... lets look at Gawain with the Green Shield.

The Green Knight invites Sir Gawain back to the hall for feasting, but the young knight is ready to leave, feeling himself to be another one in a long line of men who have been beguiled and betrayed by women. But he accepts the sash and says he will wear it as a reminder of his failings. Then the Green Knight reveals himself to be Bercilak de Hautdesert, who owes all his power to Morgan le Faye, a sinister power. She is actually the sister of Sir Gawain's mother. She had granted Hautdesert the power to go to Camelot and put on the show of the beheading just to frighten Queen Guenevere. She also enjoyed seeing the "surfeit of pride" of the Arthurian knights exposed. When Sir Gawain returns to Camelot, he shows the sash to King Arthur as a badge of his dishonor, "for where a fault is made fast, it is fixed evermore." But the King asks all the company of Camelot to don green sashes as a sign of support to Sir Gawain and to assuage his hurt pride.

(http://www.nortexinfo.net/McDaniel/1-06sg.html)

this 'shield' is no moer than a sash, given to gawain by the green knight. However, the knight owes everything to morgan la faye (wee... signet ring of green knight, anyone?)

let see.. moving on...

Oh, about the fisher king. You do realize, the king was waiting for a knight to ask him a simple question... "what ails thee?" .. the quest for knowledge, hath healed the king, and his kingdom...

theres more, im looking around..

but it seems to me, the source is the metaphorical holy grail =)

of course, im sure someone has already said this, and i've missed it =(

anyways, keep throwing ideas, and let's see if we can make total sense of everything..

-boc
    Audaz
    Level 220/AI18 Vampire(RK1)
    Boco
    Level 212/AI14 Techno-Wizard (RK1)
    Advisor of Synergy Factor
    Founder/Former DJ, GridStream Productions

<Chanell> every time i see "this account will remain active" in some engis sig i hear a "cha-ching cha-ching"

Beardedone1++;

Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast