Thread: Pandemonium Backstory?

Hmm.. may also want to check into a psuedo-legendary group known as the Knights Templar. This was said to be a secretive group of warrior/monks that were founded by nine knights. They were said to possess many Christian treasures, among which was the fable Holy Grail, which they guarded and kept secret.

That reference might make sense for Number Nine also...
    -- Chilled, Co-Leader --
    South of Heaven :: RK2

No exp perks trained, Under Protest!

no but galahad is on rk, leader of the clan knights...

Galahad left RK two years ago...

I think this draws more on arthurian legends and the round table chilled. I don't think they have enough mythos (besides their lost treasure and their artifacts) to be put in and they havent been any real connections thus far to them besides maybe number 9.
    Miceckia-220/30 Keeper
    Tekdeath-1-199/22 Martial artist

Originally Posted by Snowbunnie
    Roleplaying is what you do when the sex in your marriage isnt going too good.

The Ninj00 Theorem: The one thing you have to know about high level raidbots , point systems , and camping is this; We'll never know I guess because timelapse nerfed my sig

signature over 10 lines [again], shortened by timelapse ;p

This is mostly for If6was9-

One thing that I would suggest to you is that SL's storyline is not something that was retrofitted onto AO. If you read A Prophet without Honour, the Unredeemed are definitely a part of that novel, which was written at the time AO released. The Redeemed are also a part of this story, which tells of the events leading up to "present day" Rubi Ka, although their influence is more subtle.

This is not something I am reading into it; its very clearly and intentionally a part of the story. The Unredeemed have been pulling strings since WWII. And although the Redeemed are not seen directly, there are key points in the novel where their influence guides characters and situations to counteract the plans of the Unredeemed.

What this tells me is that there is a coherent backstory in the mind of the author, and pieces of it were patiently revealed, here and there, up to and including the SL expansion. The Redeemed spread the seed of life, hoping for .. something .. patiently working in gentle and indirect ways to ensure that something arrived to RK in safety, ready for the tasks ahead. The Unredeemed it seems were interested in preventing that, but later seem to adapt their plans to the success of the human species, and isntead decide to utilize us as a means to end.

The exact motivations of the factions have not been revealed very much for me, so far in the game. So that, along with the events leading up to the shattering of Rubi-Ka/Shadowlands, will continue to be a topic of discussion and debate as it has been on this thread.

The arrival of the Kyr'Ozch is also a continuation of this story, so AI is well and good. The problem that I see and regret is that Funcom appears to be abandoning all of the lose ends left behind in the Shadowlands. Shouldn't their be some sort of Redeemed and Unredeemed response to the new threat/opportunity that the Kyr'Ozch represent? At least a few NPC's maybe? But as far as I can tell, it is as if they are in stasis and totally unaware of this.

Part of this is the nature of MMO's (we can't *really* change the gameworld outside of PvP), but I'd like Funcom to put a little more effort into this area.

Perhaps the research mechanic discussed in LE could be tied in with the two factions. In other words, rather than researching Alien technology, the Clan is researching ancient Xan tech through the Redeemed faction and likewise Omni is doing so through the Unredeemed faction. I dunno.
    -- Chilled, Co-Leader --

Quote Originally Posted by Chilled
    Part of this is the nature of MMO's (we can't *really* change the gameworld outside of PvP), but I'd like Funcom to put a little more effort into this area.
    This is about as far from the truth as you can possibly be.
    The addition of Warr and the mercenaries to NLC (with the change from 100% gas to 75% gas), the removal of those mercenaries a year later, the upcoming renovation of OA--none of these were due to PvP, instead they were based primarily on the actions of RP orgs.

I challenge you to list 3 instances of lasting changes in the game world due to PvP.
    Last edited by Keldros; Aug 8th, 2005 at 07:19:46.

Heh. Good potential for thread derailment there, so very simply:

You kill the Beast. The entire nature of the universe should be changed. Instead? Nothing whatsoever changes. Not a single NPC. Not a peep from the Redeemed or Unredeemed about this world-altering event! In fact, if you wait a bit, he'll respawn and you can kill him again.

If Funcom wants to alter their gameworld, after the fact, to help maintain the illusion that the world is changing and what you do matters, that's terrific. But that isn't you changing the world, that's them.

Now on the other hand, will Omni succeed in restoring order and efficiency on RK2? Will they find a voice to unify them and lead them in their battles? What alliances will be made and broken in that effort? Can the Nuetrals, tired of Clan dominance, tip the scales in Omni favor? Will they want to? Or can the Clan maintain its cohesion and keep control? That is a story the player write, directly, through their own actions each night.

Is it possible to offer a game where players can *directly* and *permanently* influence the shape of game content, even in PvM? Sure, but I have not seen anything that ambitious from this genre yet. The fact is, whether you kill 1 rhinoman or 1 billion, they will all still be there tomorrow.
    -- Chilled, Co-Leader --

Now on the other hand, will Omni succeed in restoring order and efficiency on RK2? Will they find a voice to unify them and lead them in their battles? What alliances will be made and broken in that effort? Can the Nuetrals, tired of Clan dominance, tip the scales in Omni favor? Will they want to? Or can the Clan maintain its cohesion and keep control?
    Does any of this change the game world?
    Does the dominance of one side over another change the direction each patch and/or expansion takes us?
    Do whompah wars & FT flag wars have lasting consequences?

No.

RP has some small effect on direction the game takes, PvM & PvP have none.

It would be much to difficult to change the game each time someone kills a mob... everyone does different things for a different purpose. unless you did something like shoot ross or some other big event maybe....

Quote Originally Posted by malewerecat
    unless you did something like shoot ross or some other big event maybe....
    Of course, that could only be done at an RP event...

Quote Originally Posted by Keldros

RP has some small effect on direction the game takes, PvM & PvP have none.
    Wrong.

Guess after WICH event Funcom announced Alien invasion?
    Neophyte Nerf"Shareida"Batted First Order
    Freshman Jefferey"Bailan2"Ginsberg - Retired
    Shareidah - First Order

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy View Post
    it's written in the bible.
    Matthew 23:13 "and the trader hath casteth bulk trader at the young age of 14. and it was good. and so he hath an extra 260 comp lit and he hath equippeth better ncu's. and it was good too.
    A Producer's point of view

Look it up--it was being planned with a working of "Towns of Rubi-ka" for months before the beast was killed.
    edit: actually for months before SL was released.
    Last edited by Keldros; Aug 8th, 2005 at 15:12:32.

Keldros I would rather not help you derail this thread.

IMO you are 100% completely misunderstanding my point. But that's ok.
    -- Chilled, Co-Leader --

Keldros I would rather not help you derail this thread.
    *Me* derailing this thread?

What information about the backstory is in your original post? It's nothing but a whine about lack of continuation of the SL storyline. Admittedly you do make a point, even a point I've discussed with people before, but it belongs in the game suggestions forum, not the knowledge database.

addition: I'm perfectly willing to delete my posts if you move your comment to the appropriate thread. And you might want to remove that nonsense about PvP influencing the storyline--I can't think of a single incident where it's happened, unless you count the one time someone killed a body double of Henry Radiman.
    Last edited by Keldros; Aug 8th, 2005 at 17:13:03.

Heh. Good potential for thread derailment there, so very simply:

You kill the Beast. The entire nature of the universe should be changed. Instead? Nothing whatsoever changes. Not a single NPC. Not a peep from the Redeemed or Unredeemed about this world-altering event! In fact, if you wait a bit, he'll respawn and you can kill him again.

If Funcom wants to alter their gameworld, after the fact, to help maintain the illusion that the world is changing and what you do matters, that's terrific. But that isn't you changing the world, that's them.

Now on the other hand, will Omni succeed in restoring order and efficiency on RK2? Will they find a voice to unify them and lead them in their battles? What alliances will be made and broken in that effort? Can the Nuetrals, tired of Clan dominance, tip the scales in Omni favor? Will they want to? Or can the Clan maintain its cohesion and keep control? That is a story the player write, directly, through their own actions each night.

Is it possible to offer a game where players can *directly* and *permanently* influence the shape of game content, even in PvM? Sure, but I have not seen anything that ambitious from this genre yet. The fact is, whether you kill 1 rhinoman or 1 billion, they will all still be there tomorrow.
    first time beast dies on atleantean/rimor. theres a server wide message like the "omfg u reached lvl 220 eligthenment" but instead something bout voices etc it seems i forgot the whole message. rk1 had their message but rk2 hadnt theirs, instead the beast raid force that killed first beast ever had too contact a GM too fix it.

the first meeting with no9 on the server was a intriguing one i must say. first time i ever felt so torn into the AO storyline.
    zante`s gear
    zantezutske

MR Ross

“Do not underestimate the clans, if my time on this world has taught me anything, it is that if one man can think it, plan it or prepare for it, then you can be assured that someone else, somewhere, is thinking exactly the same thing”

btw, first beast kill was before the AI expansion was announced.

was up to the players imagination too wonder what was too come.

number 9 is cryptic in his answers..
    zante`s gear
    zantezutske

MR Ross

“Do not underestimate the clans, if my time on this world has taught me anything, it is that if one man can think it, plan it or prepare for it, then you can be assured that someone else, somewhere, is thinking exactly the same thing”

Oh I'm sure it must have been an absolutely AWESOME experience for you guys. But, I mean, nothing changed afterwards. The game stayed exactly the same. That is the only point I am making. But I wish I could have been around in this game back then.. it must have been an incredible feeling to have finally beaten him.
    -- Chilled, Co-Leader --

Quote Originally Posted by zante
    btw, first beast kill was before the AI expansion was announced.
    Quite incorrect, as the expansion was mentioned (under another name) months before SL was released, and Pandemonium didn't even exist for some time AFTER SL was released.

AI was a work in progress 6 months-1 year before the beast was killed.
    Last edited by Keldros; Aug 8th, 2005 at 17:48:13.

majority of the player base knew anything?

the beast force knew they soon wear uberish combined armor and huge swords and guns?

we knew a expansion was gonna get announced. aka we get towns foremost.
    zante`s gear
    zantezutske

MR Ross

Oh I'm sure it must have been an absolutely AWESOME experience for you guys. But, I mean, nothing changed afterwards. The game stayed exactly the same. That is the only point I am making. But I wish I could have been around in this game back then.. it must have been an incredible feeling to have finally beaten him.

was actually the best experience so far

(except hammering towers)

beast was done after RK1 done it. we had too rely on rk1 info, omni and clan worked together for a common goal..

first time we reached beast plattform was after 10 hours nonstop grinding there. Our raidforce decimated too crumbles. few docs and 1 tank remained, but we failed. next day we made it and took him out. all looked forward too the message that would acknowledge us in RK2 history book.. but it never came so we had too petition /typical LOL
    zante`s gear
    zantezutske

MR Ross

Page 18 of 34 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122232425262728293031323334 LastLast