Thread: Pandemonium Backstory?

This is an amazing thread! Funcom you had better not let this sort of magic die. =)

I will post some meaningful feedback when I've had time to read all of this. o,0
    -- Chilled, Co-Leader --
    South of Heaven :: RK2

No exp perks trained, Under Protest!

Verse 195: The Fisher King was one with the land. As the land was torn apart, so was he. Eight times a new hero sacrified him- or herself to keep the King alive - and he was no longer one soul, but eight. Before he had the body of twenty, now he also had the mind of eight.

this maybe?
    http://aomainframe.info/showitem.aspx?AOID=160430
    http://aomainframe.info/showitem.aspx?AOID=130050

Verse 49: But when the crowd had grown weary of trying to open the lid, a young boy appeared. He was Merlin. He thrust the sword through the lid and the source poured through him. He had been chosen and Ergo immediately set him to guard the source.

http://auno.org/ao/db.php?id=245860
    same merlin?

Verse: 248: So they gathered their finest knights around them and let them bathe in the source. Then they gave them the keys to the arks and sent them away - each in their own direction.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42...ekoJin/ark.jpg

looks like an ark, no?
    Last edited by malewerecat; Jul 25th, 2005 at 02:12:26.

Quote Originally Posted by malewerecat
    Verse 195: The Fisher King was one with the land. As the land was torn apart, so was he. Eight times a new hero sacrified him- or herself to keep the King alive - and he was no longer one soul, but eight. Before he had the body of twenty, now he also had the mind of eight.

this maybe?
    http://aomainframe.info/showitem.aspx?AOID=160430
    http://aomainframe.info/showitem.aspx?AOID=130050

Verse 49: But when the crowd had grown weary of trying to open the lid, a young boy appeared. He was Merlin. He thrust the sword through the lid and the source poured through him. He had been chosen and Ergo immediately set him to guard the source.

http://auno.org/ao/db.php?id=245860
    same merlin?

Verse: 248: So they gathered their finest knights around them and let them bathe in the source. Then they gave them the keys to the arks and sent them away - each in their own direction.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42...ekoJin/ark.jpg

looks like an ark, no?
    I recall they were called Arks in the mission aswell.
    Where you had to find a switch for them or something like that.

In North East Elyseum there is a sword in a rock, just in front of one of the same portals like the ones you go through at Ergos place.
    Maybe thats whats called the "lid"?
    My title Keeper. My mind on my grind. Assembly's my heart. They shine when I shine.

Kyarash "Legaron" Davoudi
    Keeper of Assembly

"Seen through human experience there are as many worlds as there are humans. Understanding that the word "human" defines a point in eternity and not a seperate reality is the begining of knowing"

Quote Originally Posted by Legaron
    In North East Elyseum there is a sword in a rock, just in front of one of the same portals like the ones you go through at Ergos place.
    Maybe thats whats called the "lid"?
    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42.../excalibur.jpg

that would be it

Quote Originally Posted by Chilled
    This is an amazing thread! Funcom you had better not let this sort of magic die. =)

I will post some meaningful feedback when I've had time to read all of this. o,0
    FC have let the SL storyline die, nothing much has happened since gaute left :-(

Another wasted oppurtunity....
    ALTS: Alienhunter, Moonglum, Quellist, Quellcrist, Jesharet

Quote Originally Posted by malewerecat
    As the land was torn apart, so was he. Eight times a new hero sacrified him- or herself to keep the King alive
    I'm still trying to figure this out. Obviously the land was broken in eight places, but if you count RK, Nascense, Elysium, Scheol, Adonis, Penumbra, Inferno, and Pandemonium that gives you eight playfields. You only have to break the land seven times to get eight parts.

Does this mean the devs weren't paying attention, or does it mean there's another playfield in the works?

Remember, lost eden is coming out .
    Miceckia-220/30 Keeper
    Tekdeath-1-199/22 Martial artist

Originally Posted by Snowbunnie
    Roleplaying is what you do when the sex in your marriage isnt going too good.

The Ninj00 Theorem: The one thing you have to know about high level raidbots , point systems , and camping is this; We'll never know I guess because timelapse nerfed my sig

signature over 10 lines [again], shortened by timelapse ;p

Quote Originally Posted by schmorgi
    Remember, lost eden is coming out .
    yes, based on the popular card game and its expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Neista
    FC have let the SL storyline die, nothing much has happened since gaute left :-(

Another wasted oppurtunity....
    Well, the aliens are an off-shoot of that story. Lost Eden is a good opportunity for them to tie that in a bit more. We still are not really sure of the Aliens' motivations and identity. The theory that we cut their psychic network, and they want it back, is a good one. We assume they were after the source for power, but its also possible they were keeping watch over it, or trying to prevent its use by another party.

The aliens are trying to shut down notum controllers. But why? Destroying a notum controller does not give them notum back. It does not get them closer to controlling the source either.

So what is it that they are trying to do exactly?

One theory states that as notum is drawn from the source, novictum is created as its equal and opposite counterpart. Does destroying notum help to restore balance to the Source? Attempting to draw from the Source is what shattered the land in the first place.. it is possible the Aliens are attempting to prevent something or protect something in their actions.

BTW I am also not convinced we have actually *seen* the aliens themselves yet. All of these different forms are possibly bioengineering; pets and machines but not the actual aliens behind them. I suspect we'll see new things on their motherships. =)

I hope that Lost Eden will elaborate on some of this. I have not run any AI-related quests, so I do not know what, if any, backstory is provided with that expansion. It seems like very little.

Whether one likes the SL expansion or not, it deserves credit for having such a thought provoking story line, that people are still discussing and debating it years later.
    Last edited by Chilled; Jul 26th, 2005 at 07:11:59.
    -- Chilled, Co-Leader --

Quote Originally Posted by Chilled
    Well, the aliens are an off-shoot of that story. Lost Eden is a good opportunity for them to tie that in a bit more. We still are not really sure of the Aliens' motivations and identity. The theory that we cut their psychic network, and they want it back, is a good one. We assume they were after the source for power, but its also possible they were keeping watch over it, or trying to prevent its use by another party.

The aliens are trying to shut down notum controllers. But why? Destroying a notum controller does not give them notum back. It does not get them closer to controlling the source either.

So what is it that they are trying to do exactly?

One theory states that as notum is drawn from the source, novictum is created as its equal and opposite counterpart. Does destroying notum help to restore balance to the Source? Attempting to draw from the Source is what shattered the land in the first place.. it is possible the Aliens are attempting to prevent something or protect something in their actions.

BTW I am also not convinced we have actually *seen* the aliens themselves yet. All of these different forms are possibly bioengineering; pets and machines but not the actual aliens behind them. I suspect we'll see new things on their motherships. =)

I hope that Lost Eden will elaborate on some of this. I have not run any AI-related quests, so I do not know what, if any, backstory is provided with that expansion. It seems like very little.

Whether one likes the SL expansion or not, it deserves credit for having such a thought provoking story line, that people are still discussing and debating it years later.
    I'm pretty sure that the Kyr'Ozch are the ones number nine refers to in the temple after the beast. The "source" in pande is described as "the essence of all life in the universe", that would include the Kyr'Ozch, and by conquoring the source and slaying it's protector (the beast), I'm sure every life form around the universe, from the smallest protoplasm to the largest alien, has felt it.

The reason the aliens cannot get into the sl is that they cannot survive the dimensional rift through the portals, (do to their genetic makeup or their technology won't support it) and so cannot reach the source itself. I think the Kyr'Ozch are destroying notum towers to stop us from sucking the source dry, cause if it did'nt exist, no life would, their trying to ensure their survival and we are blindly destroying the balance by manipulating the Source power.

When LE comes out, i think it will focus on pvp mostly and more about controll of notum (more balance corruption), but there should be some new alien content.
    Last edited by malewerecat; Jul 26th, 2005 at 13:25:23.

But the Pyramid at Broken Shores

Perhaps someone already mentioned this and I apologise if this has already been touched upon. But I'd like to learn about the significance at the Cult who lives at Broken shores and what ties they have with the Shadowlands. Much of the iconography is repeated in both the Pyramid and in the Shadowlands. Many of the glyphs on the Pyramid (though backwards) are comparable to the ones found in the Shadowlands. Even in the Jobe training area, the last quest you're given by Rodriguez is to run that little packet to that woman working in the cave. Notice what she's examining? It's a piece of stone that features symbols that are identical to those found on the Pyramid. Certain gateways within Elysium also feature the same Eclipse/Pyramid symbol that's found on the Pyramid in Broken Shores and tattooed onto the backs of the heads of those odd-looking men with the powdered faces and the "e" symbol on their foreheads. Now that the Crypt of Home is opened, if you travel deep enough inside you can see what appears to be an Unredeemed portal stone. And of course, the monsters who guard Cerubin can be found in the catacombs in the Shadowlands.

Does Cerubin the Rejected and the Beast have something in common? What significance will Broken Shores play in the evolution of the Shadowlands story arc?

what glyph do you mean?

One thing has occured to me the other day: Arthur is supposed to have become the Beast, and, according to legend, Arthur is friend with Galahad and opposes Mordreth, or am I mistaken?
    Could it be that the reason why the Redeemed aren't rushing us towards the Source is because they actually already are in control of it? That would explain the link between the aliens and the Source (the aliens being the offspring of a Redeemed colonizing ark, like us, and the Beast their primary Channeler - that's why so many of them died when the Beast was killed).
    It could also explain why the Redeemed seem so "energized" and their Gardens full of life, whereas the Unredeemed look dead (look at these poor Craig-Ors, for example). Hezak the Immortal, who is followed by Faithful, supposedly associated with Redeemed, could have acquired his Unredeemed appearance while being disconnected from the Source as he stayed on Rubi-Ka when the land was torn apart: is he a "lost" Redeemed?

In short, were the first Redeemed a group of eco-terrorists or something, wanting to stop the exploitation of the Source by the Xan/wanting to keep the power for themselves, triggering the cataclysm and turning the rest of the Xan population into the Unredeemed as we know them today? These seem to dwell in the ruins and their architecture looks very much like the ancient Xan one...

I can't find where to put Ergo into all this, though... Probably gotta reread the whole thread.
    Finalizer Telperion 220/22
    Manager Laurellyn 125/5

Member of First Light

[Account Cancelled]

One thing has occured to me the other day: Arthur is supposed to have become the Beast, and, according to legend, Arthur is friend with Galahad and opposes Mordreth, or am I mistaken?
    Could it be that the reason why the Redeemed aren't rushing us towards the Source is because they actually already are in control of it? That would explain the link between the aliens and the Source (the aliens being the offspring of a Redeemed colonizing ark, like us, and the Beast their primary Channeler - that's why so many of them died when the Beast was killed).
    It could also explain why the Redeemed seem so "energized" and their Gardens full of life, whereas the Unredeemed look dead (look at these poor Craig-Ors, for example). Hezak the Immortal, who is followed by Faithful, supposedly associated with Redeemed, could have acquired his Unredeemed appearance while being disconnected from the Source as he stayed on Rubi-Ka when the land was torn apart: is he a "lost" Redeemed?

In short, were the first Redeemed a group of eco-terrorists or something, wanting to stop the exploitation of the Source by the Xan/wanting to keep the power for themselves, triggering the cataclysm and turning the rest of the Xan population into the Unredeemed as we know them today? These seem to dwell in the ruins and their architecture looks very much like the ancient Xan one...

I can't find where to put Ergo into all this, though... Probably gotta reread the whole thread.
    acctually, the fisher king (not arthur), became the beast, as verse 41 of the codex clavis says: This being was the Fisher King, the entity that later turned into The Beast, the Keeper of the Source.

maybe arthur was the second beast, or the one we know him as now.... the fisher king before him being killed before SL was availbe to humans. and no, i don't think neither the redeemed or unredeemed have any "Friendly ties" to the beast, the xan do however, they sat arthur to guard the source until he went insane...

Verse 117: 'When the Xan had set the wounded men to secure the free flow from the source, these men gathered the best warriors among the Xan. They sat the chosen Arthur to lead them. Among the first were Gawain with the Green Shield, Galahad the White Stag, Red Hand Mordred (mordeth?), Morgaine the Riddle-Maker, Merlin Ambrosius and Ergo the Smith.

if arthur was redeemed sided hed be called "faithful" as unred are "chosen" anyway seems like he was tied to all 2 (6?) faction lords, perhaps the mystic forces tie in here..... or in other words...

http://auno.org/ao/db.php?id=235356
    http://auno.org/ao/db.php?id=235364
    http://auno.org/ao/db.php?id=235377
    http://auno.org/ao/db.php?id=235301

as u can see there are only 4 "unknown factions" along with the two we know (red, unred), and 6 names (6 faction lords), perhaps the factions listed above were involved as well.
    Last edited by malewerecat; Aug 1st, 2005 at 12:20:44.

Well remember that we are warned not to take the verses too literally, as if we do they will seem to contradict eachother. We also should not assume the verses tell a story in chronological order.

The symbolism of the Fisher King is the benevolent ruler whose own wounds are echo'd by the land. When the King is wounded, so the Land is wounded and withers. Perhaps Arthur (the strongest among the Xan) was their benevolent leader, and when the Xan split into the Redeemed and Unredeemed identities, so Arthur was wounded, and so the Land became split. Arthur eventually sacrificed himself in an effort to control whatever was happening to the Source, and was corrupted by this act, eventually becoming twisted into The Beast. (some say this corruption was due to the Source itself)

Hmm I just made a big connection in my head: who here has seen The Dark Crystal?

There are two factions in this movie as well. There is a slow, patient, wise, benevolent race, and an impulsive, materialistic, conquering race. The conquering race seeks to enslave the lesser race, because it is prophesied that one them will be their undoing.

The story arc centers around a shattered crystal, which, because it is not whole, has a corrupting power. When the crystal is made whole again, the two races merge, and we learn that infact there was only one race of angelic creatures orginally, which had become split into opposites when the crystal was split.

As far as Ergo, he explains himself pretty thoroughly on your way from Ely to Scheol. He was literally built as a simple operating system to oversee notum mining operations as the Xan tapped the Source. As the operation grew, so did Ergo's complexity. Eventually some hackers broke into his network, and began to insert code snippets that would trigger Ergo's self-actualization: one day Ergo simply became concious. However this did not happen until after the shattering of the land, and after the great wars between the Redeemed and Unredeemed.

According to Ergo, his motivations at this point are simply to restore and protect the land. He recognizes both Redemeed and Unredeemed as his Masters, perhaps because he recognizes them both as Xan.

What is interesting is that he also recognizes us as his masters..
    -- Chilled, Co-Leader --

I forgot about the mention of both Galahad and Mordred among the followers of Arthur, you're right... And i must admit my statement about Hezak and his faithful is rather excessive: there's probably no link with the term "Faithful" as in Faithful vs. Chosen.

However we know for certain that the Beast and the Aliens are linked. If there's no link between the Beast and the Redeemed, then we must assume, in my opinion at least, that the Aliens are not the offspring of one of the Redeemed's arks. But how did the Alien-Beast link came to exist, then? In other words, what is the link between them and the ancient Xan?

Personnally, i don't think Red/Unred were just two factions among a total of 6 factions.
    Finalizer Telperion 220/22
    Manager Laurellyn 125/5

Member of First Light

[Account Cancelled]

Quote Originally Posted by Telperion
    I forgot about the mention of both Galahad and Mordred among the followers of Arthur, you're right... And i must admit my statement about Hezak and his faithful is rather excessive: there's probably no link with the term "Faithful" as in Faithful vs. Chosen.

However we know for certain that the Beast and the Aliens are linked. If there's no link between the Beast and the Redeemed, then we must assume, in my opinion at least, that the Aliens are not the offspring of one of the Redeemed's arks. But how did the Alien-Beast link came to exist, then? In other words, what is the link between them and the ancient Xan?

Personnally, i don't think Red/Unred were just two factions among a total of 6 factions.

well as i said the source is the essence of all life in the universe...(every living thign connected to it's presence, think of it like, where souls/life force comes from), and assuming no life evolved elsewhere in the universe maybe the red/aliens are related, but if so why has'nt ergo noticed the alien presence? the ancient xan do obviously use spaceships, but if their time has ended long ago then they all must have died, meaning the aliens can't be related. the only xan left are the red/unred.

and if there were'nt six factions what are those mystical factions related to then?

Well even before the Xan split into the Redeemed and Unredeemed identities, there was apparently disagreement amongst them. For instance, the hackers that tried to insert code into Ergo that would bring him to life? According to Ergo, his masters tried very hard to stop that from happening.

It's possible that a group of Xan broke away into isolation, and eventually evolved in to the Kyr'Ozch.

The link between the Beast and the Aliens seems to have something to do with the Alien Channelers. Apparently they had found a way to utilize the beast as a psychic funnel, to drain energy from the Source without directly approaching it. At least, that is the best theory I have heard so far.
    -- Chilled, Co-Leader --

This means that that possible group that broke off and became the kyr'ozch knew a way to tap the source without going to pandemonium and becoming corrupted. They must have known what was going to happen to since thye inserted the code, but how did they find out?
    Miceckia-220/30 Keeper
    Tekdeath-1-199/22 Martial artist

Originally Posted by Snowbunnie
    Roleplaying is what you do when the sex in your marriage isnt going too good.

The Ninj00 Theorem: The one thing you have to know about high level raidbots , point systems , and camping is this; We'll never know I guess because timelapse nerfed my sig

signature over 10 lines [again], shortened by timelapse ;p

Well, in the dialogue with Number Nine, he says he is saddened and disappointed to see the series of events that lead up to the defeat of the Beast. It is as if he is seperate from the Redeemed and Unredeemed factions.

I don't believe Ergo fully understood the ramifications of sending us to defeat the Beast. Or maybe he did, and he knew he was taking a chance, but decided it was a calculated gamble.

It also seems clear that neither the Redeemed nor the Unredeemed fully understand the changes they are setting in motion. They are too caught up in their respective causes to realize.

So who programmed Number Nine? Whose voice does he speak with?

I looked into the Arthur legends, since they are referenced heavily here. There is a passage where Lancelot has a vision while sleeping in the forest, that God blesses nine knights. 7 are his ancestors, the 8th is rebuked for being trapped in wordly sin, and his himself, and the 9th is the perfect knight, his son, Galahad.

Is Galahad referenced elsewhere in Shadowlands? That link might provide a clue as to who programmed Number Nine.
    -- Chilled, Co-Leader --

Page 17 of 34 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122232425262728293031323334 LastLast