Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Remember this?

Talking Anyone Remember this?

I am bored at work and reading the fourms, and started thinking of how AO was back in aug 2001, when I 1st started playing.

The 1 thing that poped up was when I 1st meet 2 fixers, Jeik and Scyles. I was around lvl 25 agent. Well to get to the point I was following them running for dear life from a hammer beast (my 1st time seeing it) that they agroed. Well they both had thier speed buffs running. On my screen they both were disapearing and reapearing as if they were teleporting from spot to spot. Before they told me about the run buff I was amazed at how they could do that, and was still amazed at funcoms imagenation for making that happened. I told them what I saw, to find out if you didn't have the buff runing you would see it, then once you was buffed they would stay on your screen as you followed. Which I thought was really cool because if you read the description of the nano it states that the buff will transport the person in and out of the grid/ time&space to make them run faster (I know its not the exact description, but you get my point)

Well many months has passed (almost a year) and I haven't seen this since. Did a patch remove this cool feature? Or was I such a newb that it was just server lag (same as when in plane and doing /follow) and I didn't know better?

If anyone else remembers this also plz post so I don't feel alone, and/or if you had something like that happen and noticed it missing plz post it here.
    My small army on rbk2

NT
    Got Nullity Sphere?

Crat

trader
    <--flavor of the month

I See you!

I still see this when there is a siginificant difference between the run speed of a character I'm on and the other character.

this "feature" is actually called LAG. It happens as Stellae described, and the runspeedbuff has very little to do with it

If the speedbuff made them "warp" back and forth between normal space and trhe grid, I think they would be "warping" while standing stil as well. That would be really, really cool! (a stealthbunos could even have been added, since they're not there half the time )

Yo Xeno

The Jeik and Scyles days were the best, I still have screen shots of your silly agent with dual sleekblasters...

...as for me and Jeik, everyone we grouped with created Fixers because our maussers did uber damage compared to all the other newbies

Re: Yo Xeno

Originally posted by Scyber
    The Jeik and Scyles days were the best, I still have screen shots of your silly agent with dual sleekblasters...

...as for me and Jeik, everyone we grouped with created Fixers because our maussers did uber damage compared to all the other newbies
    Like quickend makeing jakespeed and now being littletotem

lmao I remeber those days, and god do I miss them.

I'm not sure if you was with me and quickend hunting the night this happened, but during one night hunting I some how managed to shoot myself (this is coming from the 1st person to cut himself with a electric razor in RL) fighting a rollrat near ditch.

xenomorph0 hit rollrat for 30 projectile damge
    Rollrat hit xenomorph for 38 mele damage
    xenomorph0 hit xenomorph0 for 27 projectile damage
    /me Doh

not sure if holding right click and looking had anything to do with it, hehe I wanted to see the rat as I killed it and then next thing I know I hit myself and almost killed myself at the same time.
    My small army on rbk2

NT
    Got Nullity Sphere?

Crat

trader
    <--flavor of the month

I See you!

The early days in Stret West Bank, when BB in Holes in the Wall was a crowded place, and there wasn't a whompa to Last Ditch in Borealis, were the best

I wonder..... aren't there any new players starting in Borealis? Everytime i visit the Playgrounds, they are empty....

Post I remember

days, where I could sell my stuff from the missions in Holes (itW) at BB ... - long time ago, mates.

-> Borealis: This beautiful and (now) silent city (was born there ) has changed to a meeting place for neutrals. Less crowded than NL, a full set of shops, 3 mission and 2 save terminals. I am always happy, when I come back there.
    Btw., best vehicle shopping route I know: (at non peak times) run from Newland to Borealis speciality shop and vice versa, especially the Borealis shop is almost always empty -> recycle is fast.

So long,

ol' Max
    100% curious

ahhh, the good old days when not every noob started in one of three places like they do now.

there were noobs everywhere. it was great. you heard about all kinds of places back then. today it is the same thing over and over; especially with so many hunting grounds getting nerfed.

Unhappy I miss

Originally posted by Thyrra
    ahhh, the good old days when not every noob started in one of three places like they do now.

there were noobs everywhere. it was great. you heard about all kinds of places back then. today it is the same thing over and over; especially with so many hunting grounds getting nerfed.
    I miss the good old days of bliss, temple, aegean beach (supa leet heaven), etc...

Back before funcom nerfed the great spawning points in the game, before they made hammer bulls agro on site, before medusa's hit for godly amounts, ect...

The 1st few months were the best, I remeber when funcom made 1 fix to the game that made all of our lives easier, anyone remember when even if a rollrat was grey to you it would still agro onto ya? I died a few times becuase of that one.
    My small army on rbk2

NT
    Got Nullity Sphere?

Crat

trader
    <--flavor of the month

I See you!

Cool Where come this roller rat sound from?

Max' hate list in the 'good old days':

- Roller rats (to fast and incredibly social)
    - Plants (aggro from half a mile away and enormous damage)
    - Nightcrawlers (uahh)

So long,

Max(imilian) - what the hell is a roller rat queen?
    100% curious

Re: I miss

Originally posted by xenomorph

The 1st few months were the best, I remeber when funcom made 1 fix to the game that made all of our lives easier, anyone remember when even if a rollrat was grey to you it would still agro onto ya? I died a few times becuase of that one.
    I remember that - couldn't get past lvl 5 because of it

I killed a Roller-rat Queen once - it was outside Athen near the "Rising Sun" plateau - weird looking bugger...only ever found one once.
    I must warn you that I fight very dirty, I spit and fart and soil myself

Me

"Sings we a dances of Wolves
    Who smells fear and slays the coward

Sings we a dances of Mans
    Who smells Gold and slays his brother"

Talking here is another one

When I was around lvl 30 me and a full team had a mission for aegean, we leave athen east gate to get there. We all took the left road hit the zone and buffed. after we all zoned there was about 10 vultures waiting for us, lol 1 person lived. Luckly funcom pushed back thier spawn site to tooth, I guess to many lowbies died there.

Also back in the day your inv wieght mattered, I remeber one time coming back from a mission with a almost full inv and someone handed me a new gun, just so happened it put me over the limit for my weight. hehe I was such a newbie at the time I tried to walk to the bank took 15 mins to walk 5 feet, so I put alot of stuff down so I could move (this is also before they made it were no one could pick up your droped items) and before I made it to the bank ninja looters hit my stuff, luckly I didn't drop my new gun.
    Last edited by xenomorph; May 7th, 2002 at 18:08:22.
    My small army on rbk2

NT
    Got Nullity Sphere?

Crat

trader
    <--flavor of the month

I See you!

Red face

Being able to uber-kill mobs with Total Mirror... Mmm... The shields were being exploited heavily so it had to be done, but I sure miss it when playing my soldier solo...

The weight limit sucked... i really i hated that i had to zone to fix the weight limit. God that they fixed it.

Well, the old TMS was nice. But my soldier isn't missing the high reflect damage to much (the Juggernaut in Lush was a real fun place in those times).

What i miss is RED..... in the early days she was in and around the rising sun in aegean. Guarded the hidden Omni-Outpost there. The first time i accidently run into her and thought another player killed me Died several times when i tried to do missions in the rising sun and learned to be careful if i had to go there. It's always been exciting.

Now she is gone and the rising sun is a nice place where old ladies can drink a cup of coffee

Smile The old men and the stories

Let's sit together on park benches and tell the stories of the past:

(Somebody aware of 'Asterix & Obelix in Corsica' - the old guys before the village - hahaha)

-> Weight: I am still undecided if weight counting would be benficial or not, nevertheless it definitely sucked that we had to zone to get the correct count. Somehow I liked the effect of slowing down, but on the other hand it would favor STR/AGI armor users over the others (me), so ...

-> Red: The good old days had a large number of deadly auto aggro MOBs/NPCs. They (FC) are tuning this down, eh? -> Rez shock, XP loss, etc. Where should that lead to? (grin)

-> Pixie Hunting in Stret West Bank ...

-> Cranium: You are getting more and more player like, be careful. Some day we might catch you ingame name ...

So long,

Max(imilian)
    100% curious

i recall the first reports of some mob that did crazy damage near the stairs at rising sun. people said they didn't have time to figure out what was going on before they saw the white light.

i could go to the west gate at newland and get a full team within five minutes.

the good old days.

when did athen exp turn into wartorn valley? i still don't like the new name.

Unhappy the old days

From what I remember the athen expance is now wailing wastes. I think the best part of the old days was finding out how to play the game and teaming up with people and going to new places and fighting new mobs. I remember once in "holes in the wall" the call went out for troops to stop the omni's at the bridge who had taken it over and killed anyone who went near it. We all rallied teams and went and fought them because we thought it was our bridge and didn't like anyone taking it over. A lot of people died that day. I also miss hunting at npc hill east of BB. There seemed to be always a team heading that way. But i would say no one goes there any more. I wonder why a lot of people don't explore these areas. Is it because of the starting locations or have all the mobs been nerfed or what?

I think it's

1. People don't start in Borealis anymore. So they don't explore this region. Instead they all start in Newland City and hunt in the desert.

2. Hunting places seem to be nerfed..... the mutant-valley, north of last ditch for example, is dead. I also couldn't find the crowds of snakes in boondock, when i last time was there.

I remember after a certain patch Stret West Bank/Holes in the Wall became a highly unstable region where the server dropped all players every 5 minutes. Most of them left to newland, so did i, short time later i quit AO for some months..... so i don't know when the region has been fixed. But when i came back the complete region was dead

Angry hmmm...

What were they thinking when they nerfed these places. These were good areas but now they have everyone crammed into a few other zones and increasing the lag in them. They need to have more hunting areas and try to get people out of the major cities and this may ease the lag problems. I remember when that mutant camp area was a good spot then one day they were all gone. We used to see 10 or so teams working that area and the boondocks were very popular too with teams leaving bronto burger all the time. Now what is there nothing. Nothing to go there for at all now.

The Deadest Road?

I decided to fly over to the longest road to check out the dungeon there and maybe find a team. I found no one at the omni-mine. There was a few people at the foreman's office, but all about 20 levels higher than me. This place looks pretty cool and the mobs along the way are pretty interesting too. Why isn't this place that popular?
    Long Live Fizban! Or is it Zifnab?

Haplo23 - 68 Omni Fixer
    Slimtinkerer - 57 Omni Eng

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast