Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how to help all the healing profs...

oooh whats this i found here

BUMP

Hmm let's add an extra bump on that.

It is not lag. Its called poor coding. If it was lag the HP bars would eventually update, but since they don't it can't be lag.

The people above that stated it is hp over your base (however you gain them) which causes it are correct. In teams I generally spam team heals when we are fighting, because in my level of teams no one ever looks injured (unless I move out of view and come back, then everyone looks at half or less health).

This bug is not obvious at low levels. It is glaringly obvious at high levels. The code that updates health bars does not take into account any hp over base.

-Yense

well I agree on some of your points but this got me
    People can easily die becuase of this, and with the penalties for dying being so harsh it frustrates players.
    Currently (and im probably not alone) I think Anarchy Online is probably one of the nicest MMORPG games out there .. when you die all you loose is some xp wich is actually possible to get back with some time investment.
    I feel that Anarchy Online is one of the most player friendly games there is .. the players get almoust evrything they want (to a certain limit though, and I realize someone is probably gonna flame on this ) and you dont risk anything but your own invested time in the leveling wheel .. its not like your character gets an amnesia and forgets all the people he/she met after he/she saved. and all the items you have are still there (i guess someone invented nifty stealth robot swarm that work as active loot collecters with monopoly on that marked) and ditto on the credits.
    Dying is always painfull (especially at higher levels) but shouldnt it be painfull ?
    Operation impending doom 2 seems to have started with patch 15.6.5
    12.6 first contact, 14.6 second attempt, 16.6 Invasion of the gabber bots ?
    Old and bitter player, currently playing: Justincase GA4 wearing phix0r
    Originally posted by Cz
    I already saw this thread, but refrained from answering due to the pleasant show of confidence from Lumin.
    Sing a song for FunCom

Its harsh in that dying becuase of an apparent bug is, well, harsh.

Lots of nice technowaffle floating around.

AFAIK AO uses TCP - which has a guaranteed delivery of an in sequence and non corrupt stream of packets to the application using it. Yes corruptions, missing packets and retries to occur but they wont be visible to AO. If AO used UDP on the other hand it would have to deal with missing packets itself rather than let the protocol stack deal with it. I dont think any MMORPGs use UDP as its absolutely vital that the client and server have clean communications:-

Client - I clicked buy.
    Seerver - OK, here is your new bank balance.
    Client - huh? oh well I'll just ignore that corrupt packet.

Lag can cause all sorts of strange effects but the only one which seems lag related is "Hey I'm not getting hit and everyone is standing still?" "Oh crap, here are 15 mob attacks all at the same time and my screen is going white....".

a lot of then use UDP because of lower overhead/packet size, and handle the ordering themselves.
    of course, Graham Devine offered help during beta 4 and was ignored...

In reply to DrTiny's original post, I'll look into these 5 issues (3 of which are related to the health bar). Frustrating, I know, so I'm on it. Right back here with information as it comes to me.

/me flees from the technowaffle
    Earn free game time and play with your friends[/b]

Anarchy Online Community Representative

Thanks, cosmik. busy mornin' for you, I imagine. Good luck, etc.

That's a serious issue and it needs to be fixed soon. The problem is now several months old....

Talking Coolios

Thanks Cosmik

have a cookie

/me flees the technowaffle too

Say Cosmik, you look like you could use a massage.. *funk jive 70's music*

Originally posted by Essensea
    Perhaps you are not aware of an internet phenomon called lag. Lag is what occurs when a server sending information becomes bottlenecked and cannot send its data to all the computers asking for it at the required speed... Funcom is a small company and more than likely they dont have the best servers, not to mention the silly idea of having feethousand people in one world. Have you ever been to the far away places no one goes, the server lag almost dissapears leaving me with only client lag. A mission is a small "virtual" space on the server, a server in the server, if you will. I'm sure the math of the funcom servers says they are more than adequate for the game, yet, i'm also sure that math dosent assume everyone is doing missions, and not playing in the game world. This bottlenecks the "mission" server and makes things get nasty.

The way the AO client/server programs work is sort of archaic also. The server sends you a packed of info, your client processes it, then sends a packet back that says "Okay send me the next packet" so alot of times what appears to be clientside lag is actually the server struggling to send 3000 people the data for 3000 different mission rooms.

All in all i think MMORPGS are ahead of thier time, much like many other entertainment inventions. In 30 years games will make our most advanced technology look like crap. Geforce4Ti to a NES. and thats less than 20 years. 85'-02' So in 29' the best we have will look like an NES looks to us, today. =P

Perhaps us gamers need to take a step back, and take a deep breath?
    These are bugs in the code not server/internet issues. True some may be server/client sync most however are not. This happens on test as well with only 30 people playing.

I'm not a regular poster, but i find this HP issue really annoying, so consider this post a *bump*

My findings are:

- When teammates get in range their HP bar reflects their base HP in comparison to their fully buffed max HP. For example if base HP=1000 and they are buffed for another 500 HP the bar would be at 1000/1500 hp = 66% (provided they have full health)

- When you hit F2-F6 and select a teammate which resides in the former 'state' the HP bar will switch to 100% (provided they have full health)

- When a player gets hit the HP bar wont go down until their HP is below their base HP. So in this case below 1000. After that the bar reflects HP in correspondance to base HP. So if in this case the player has 800 HP left the bar would be at 800/1000 = 80% while the bar on their own screen would be at 800/1500 = 53%

This is a very basic flaw that can / has to / should have been fixed now IMO.

Now i know that this is not the only problem with HP bars and there are lots of other bugs like
    - HP bars constantly at 0% whatever you do
    - HP bars constantly at a seemingly random position whatever you do
    ... and ofcourse lag and packet loss, but there is little we can do about that, now?

The only thing i would like to see is a fix for the bug that causes the first 3 points in my post which can be easily reproduced.

If you agree, bump along with me!

I just wanna bump this cuz it's somethig that we really need fixed.
    Azzazzimon

Clan Apocalypse - The guild for models

Account closed.

Originally posted by Azzazzimon
    I just wanna bump this cuz it's somethig that we really need fixed.
    Indeed.

I agree with everything in the original post except for the point:
    with the penalties for dying being so harsh it frustrates players
    While there is nothing wrong with this statement itself, AO has a very easy death-penalty system. Sure it sucks losing hours of xp (if you didn't save recently), but at least you don't have to spend hours trying to get your corpse (just 75 sec. at reclaim and time for res shock). Only other mmorpg I've played has been EQ, and dieing there really, really sucks. Huge xp loss, corpse runs, no saving xp, corpse rot...

However, we all know that death in any form is frustrating, especially because of poor coding and bugs so these fixes are definately needed.

Thanks Cosmik.
    Animacion 160 Opi Enforcer equipment
    Takima 166 Trader
    Proud member of First Order for 3 years and going.

"All things around you grow stonger from your spilled blood. Now, you grow stronger from theirs."

Cosmik was just wondering if you had heard anything yet on these issues?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12