Thread: Guide: Faction for Dummies - A general Overview

Post Guide: Faction for Dummies - A general Overview

Lots of players returning to AO that were 200 or those who have just dinged 200 are confused on how to gain faction. I wrote this as a response to a player who had some questions so I decided to make it a guide.

So you just dinged 200 or have been 200 and finaly decided to make the plunge to SL. To level past 200 you need to gain Shadowknowledge (SK). SK can be gained only by killing SL mobs so you go to Scheol and start to kill some. "WTF, only 3 SK for killing that mob???"

Your problem is you need to gain faction in your respective Alignment \ Side. Faction can be increased only by killing sided \ Aligned mobs. If you Type /open faction and you can see what your current faction rating is.

This is what you need to know when you look at that faction window. There is basicaly one faction per side\alignment that dictates the amount of SK you get per kill.

If your Omni - Try to max Unredeemed
    If Your Clan - Try to max Redeemed
    If Your Nuetral - Try to max Gaurdian

The others listed compliment these main ones respectivley but the ones listed above are the important ones.

As your faction goes up by killing the opposite Sides\ Alignments mobs you need to find mobs that have a higher opposing faction rating than you. After killing the same level mob over and over at one point you will no longer gain anymore faction from that mob.

But let’s cut to the chase, normal sided mobs won’t give you much faction. You need to seek out the head honchos of the opposing faction. Basically each zone has their leader for each side. For example Adonis has Gilthar for the redeemed and Daljia for the Unredeemed. Killing the "leaders" of the zone will give you more faction in one kill than all of their lackeys in the zone so it almost a waste of time to go fumbling about killing the minions.

Eventually even the leader of that zone that you have been killing over and over will no longer give you any faction so you must move on to the next zone to gain faction.

But where are these "Leaders"? In their temples of course, but they are not standing around waiting for you to pop a cap in them. These "leaders" must be spawned and the process varies from zone to zone. In Adonis it's simple; you go to the respective opposing temple and kill a placeholder mob that will then spawn an "ardent" NPC. He will ask for 6 Insignias of "Leader name here" and then the leader will spawn. Kill him\her rinse and repeat until you no longer get faction then move on to the next zone (most of these leaders have phat lewt too).

In penumbra the spawning process is a little more difficult and requires more of a quest type process. Also, you may be able to solo the leader in Adonis and below based on your profession, but beyond Adonis consider it a regular raid since these leaders are tuff cookies.

So what do you next? Well it depends, if you’re below 200 don't even worry about gaining faction unless it's for meeting a requirent to equip a weapon, nano, ring, etc. If you are 200, then make it a priority to get to Penumbra (or Inferno if you can get the boots and ring) and faction there. Each zone has a cap of how much faction is attainable. For Penumbra its 23-25 K I believe and you can get up to 50K in Inferno.

So is it worth factioning in Adonis or below? Well no unless you want a particular item that these mobs drop. Some even say Pen is a waste of time and to try to get to Inferno ASAP but if you don't belong to a big guild it may be tuff. Penumbra is probably the best place to start then.

Also, you can see who is "Faction Raiding" by joining #dungeonresetters on irc.funcom.com using a chat application called mIRC. The reason people use this is when chain spawning (and killing) the leader in the temple you can speed up the respwning process by getting out (or logging out) of the temple and waiting 18 minutes. The placeholder mob will then respawn if the temple is empty within the 18 minutes opposed to 45 or 90 minutes. This does not apply in Inferno where the Temple can not be reset and you must wait a full 90 minutes between "Faction Raids".

One last note, none of this applies to Neutrals. Neutrals gain faction by primarily killing hecklers. Every zone has hecklers and the higher up the zone the higher the faction cap. So for nuets, when they max their Guardian faction in Adonis (25K) by killing hecklers they move onto Penumbra and start killing higher levels ones so on and so forth. Neutrals have a much easier time gaining faction than us sided folks. They deserve it I guess since 1-200 they have a harder time gaining xp.

I hope this helps, anyone who has additional info or corrections please post
    Last edited by Manusra; Jan 13th, 2004 at 16:03:15.

well written guide

thanks for taking the time

Originally posted by Manusra
    Well it depends, if you’re below 200 don't even worry about gaining faction it's pointless.
    Great post except for this little tidbit. If you start off in SL (best bet for quick exp, IMHO) then gaining faction in the leveling process is far from pointless. Sided mobs have a number of advantages for killing them (at least for up and comers):

1) A good idea of things to come. Sided mobs in Nascence prepare you for harder mobs in Elysium, sided mobs in Elysium prepare you for Scheol, etc. SL mobs get difficult in bigger increments than do Rubi Ka mobs, and the sided mobs are real good indicators of that.

2) You will have to get the faction someday anyway, so why not spread the grind over as many levels as possible? Why get to 200 with only the faction you gained while spec book farming? Why not exp off those mobs and get all that grind loot and faction as a corollary benefit of leveling? Even if you get to 200 and only have 5,000 points in your side's faction, it is still 5,000 less for the upcoming grind.

3) Unlike many other things in SL, you will have all the mobs you can handle, often with little or no competition from other players. This goes to sided mobs being tougher than your average SL mob, and therefore generally avoided by many.

The only real downside is that sided mobs are tougher to take down than normal SL mobs, so leveling can be a bit slower, but it's still faster than Rubi Ka, and tends to be more lucrative from a loot and quest standpoint.

No disrespect intended, and I certainly defer to your knowledge of the end game, but I just figured I would espouse the benefits of faction killing, since it has paid dividends thus far for me. Might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I wouldn't necessarily call it pointless. And since the thread title is "faction for dummies" I thought that this dummie should add his 2 CR to the discussion.

Of note - to any new players reading this, by no means do I advocate killing sided mobs only. I personally try to get around to every mob in every zone in SL because every fight is different, and there is much to be learned on the way. I just think that sided mobs have several benefits, one of which is faction.

great!

Great post! thx for taking the time writing it! One question though: The mobs u kill on the way at the lower lvls, like in nascence and elysium isnt worth **** , compared to the "leader" and the lackeys u are refering to? I think i have gained 3k points at my respectfull side,i am lvl92, is this much compared to lvl200+ points gaining?
    Opsund 220/30 Ma
    Xandathrii 220/30 Enf
    Vekten 220/30 Doc

Lifdrasil 100/10 Eng

Retired General of Ascension, enjoying my elder days and the end of AO in The Asylum.(Currently of-world , but comming back soon(TM)
    Stop the inflation and madness, support my Tier 4 crusade

Guys, Let me clarify. Killing sided mobs does have benifits in term of some of the lovley items they drop but in terms of faction, 1 Kill of Lord Mordeth or the Redeemed Lord in Inferno will give your more faction than you have gotten in all of your career pre 200.

So yes killed sided mobs to get xp and paht lewt, but dont kill them for factions sake. I have updated the guide based on your feedback.
    Last edited by Manusra; Jan 13th, 2004 at 16:04:02.

Re: great!

Originally posted by ShadowLander
    Great post! thx for taking the time writing it! One question though: The mobs u kill on the way at the lower lvls, like in nascence and elysium isnt worth **** , compared to the "leader" and the lackeys u are refering to? I think i have gained 3k points at my respectfull side,i am lvl92, is this much compared to lvl200+ points gaining?
    3K faction makes almost no diffrence in gaining more SK per kill. Every 10K you see a noticable diffrence in SK per Kill.

Oh, and let me add you do need Gaurdian and sided faction to equip some nanos and weapons so yes its not a total waste to get faction pre 200. I was just gearing this to the 200+ user base.
    Last edited by Manusra; Jan 13th, 2004 at 16:05:06.

Re: Re: great!

Oh, and let me add you do need Gaurdian faction and sided faction to equip some nanos and weapons so yes its not a total waste to get faction pre 200. I was just gearing this to the 200+ userbase.
    I figured as much, and I hope I didn't come across as advocating killing sided mobs solely for faction. As I said, if dummies were allowed to post in this thread, then I was qualified...

Re: Re: Re: great!

Originally posted by Patrick187

I figured as much, and I hope I didn't come across as advocating killing sided mobs solely for faction. As I said, if dummies were allowed to post in this thread, then I was qualified...
    I was targeting the 200+ dummies like myself =p

Killing sided mob before penumbra for faction is pointless and waste of time.

The only reason why anybody need to do so.. if probably just for farming of those stupid books for spec quests.

Otherwise, I wouldn't do it... no even for the SL weapons. They are "transient" anyway and u'll outgrow them in no time. In fact, usually by the time u can get them off the mob, the QL's too low anyway.
    Ashuras - Sol OT Adv on RK-1

Bartle Quotient:
    Explorer 93%, Achiever 53%, Socializer 40%, Killer 13%

Proud member of the Wardens of Omni-Tek

Oh yea, the spec books. I got my Spec 1, 2, & 3 so you can imagine how many redeemed mobs I killed.

Thumbs up

I used this guide to faction and it's a thumbs up

Just some personal experience for people to compare:

I hit 200 with 10k faction, very low. I leveled up to 201 and only was getting about 190ish SK per Heckler kill - very low.

I hit Penumbra. I began killing sided mobs (which got me some faction to get rolling) and got started with Cama raids. The process doesn't take quite as long as you might think. I attended roughly 5-6 Cama raids and ended up at 25k. I think the Cama cap is 25k not 23k - at least it was for me. I left Penumbra with 25,078 faction.

Enter Inferno. Just a note - it's not easy getting to the temple in Inferno. You absolutely need someone to take you at least once, and if you make any mistakes it can easily be reclaim for you Inferno is a *nasty* place. It was suggested to me (and I will pass the suggestion along) that once you get to the temple, you stay there until your faction is at least 40k. I think its really a good idea seeing what a pain it is getting to the temples.

I'm currently at 39k faction, I think I've raided Galahad roughly 6-7 times. One more raid will put me at 40k. I've only left the temple 2x, once to defend our towers, and once by accidental death fighting spirits (while waiting for next raid). So all in all I attended roughly 12-15 raids in the end to get my faction to 40k from a base of 10k.

So to summarize, get to Penumbra and raid to 25k. Get to Inferno and raid to 40k while staying at the temple (you can hunt spirits and sided door guards to kill time - you can even get some decent loot.) Once you are at 40k, you are good to go. You can stay more if you want but 40k is the minimum you want to go SK with to get a good SK result from hunting.

HTH

Graan
    Last edited by Graan; Jun 3rd, 2004 at 16:44:31.
    ---------------------
    Retired: 211 Soldier
    Active: 17 Froob Soldier for when boredom sets in

Guys, Let me clarify. Killing sided mobs does have benifits in term of some of the lovley items they drop but in terms of faction, 1 Kill of Lord Mordeth or the Redeemed Lord in Inferno will give your more faction than you have gotten in all of your career pre 200.

So yes killed sided mobs to get xp and paht lewt, but dont kill them for factions sake. I have updated the guide based on your feedback.
    For those of us still 'looking forward' to the process of gaining faction once we reach 200, can you give an indication of how many faction you actually get from killing the big Pen/Inferno cahunas? I realize this depends on the amount of faction you already have, but what order of magnitude do we have to think off to get to the cap of the particular playfield? Kill the big boss 5 times, 20 times, more?

I'm not sure of the exact numbers, there a tool out there somewhere that calculates it. I'd say for Inferno you would have to kill Mordeth\Galahad at least 40 times to cap your faction at 50K. I could be delusional though.

Originally posted by Igiu
    Factien calculataar
    error: could not select database

when tried to use it.

G
    ---------------------
    Retired: 211 Soldier
    Active: 17 Froob Soldier for when boredom sets in

Originally posted by Graan

error: could not select database

when tried to use it.

G
    I entered:

Current Faction: 10000 (have that at lvl 180 from camping spec and some wanted loot and generally being a nuisance to anything not unred)
    Target Faction: 50000 (always aim high )
    Number of Mobs: 1 (camping a single mob, which would be...)
    Mob 1 Faction Cap: 50000 (... the biggest one out there of course)

Hit submit, results:

14 kills to get from 10K to 40K
    20 kills to get to 45K
    35 kills to get to 49K.
    57 kills to get to 49.9K.
    79 kills to get to 49.99K

Can't say I'm looking forward to this...

If you get the "could not select database" error I think you missed filling in one of the above mentioned fields.

Edit: typo.
    Last edited by Moscatinka; May 7th, 2004 at 18:15:35.

Thanks for writing the guide, Manusra!

The Penumbra mobs cap at like 35k faction.
    I think the formula is (faction mob faction - your faction)/10
    So you have 40k you kill Mordeth (50k), you get
    1k faction. Something like that.

50k is the absolute maximum you can get, but remember
    that going from 49k to 50k has the same effect on rate
    of sk gain as going from 10k to 11k. And it takes much, much
    longer. Probably not worth it to get that last little bit of
    faction.

For clan inferno raiders on RK1, there is an in-game
    channel called factionbot. /tell factionbot !join
    For clan in penumbra, we just use clan ooc to organize
    faction raids.

Also, the Penumbra mobs can be spawned using the same
    process as in the lower zones (6 insignia) now. It's just that
    there exists another process for doing it (involving a sacred
    blueprint of vanya and instructions for acolyte cama hume,
    I think, in the clan version). Note that normally, in the clan
    versions, you kill a patriarch prophet to spawn an acolyte.
    You feed insignia to the acolyte to spawn an omega. You
    kill the omega to spawn the main faction mob for the zone.
    If you feed the instructions and blueprint, the omega is not
    spawned, just the faction mob, but people doing the garden
    quest for pen have to tag the omega, and people doing the
    sanct quest have to kill it, so maybe check with the people
    on the faction raid before you use this method to spawn, to
    make sure none are there for either of these quests or at
    least to let them know they won't finish the quest this time
    around.

There are a lot of other details, like the acolytes in pen and
    inf aggro so you have to calm or fear them, and the inf mobs
    (actually some others, but not so much) nuke, so you have to
    have nano shutdown to have any hope of killing them. In
    inferno, faction raids tend to be limited to 4 teams max because
    you only get faction if you do enough damage to get sk, and
    balancing damage across teams becomes a big pain with
    more people. Etc. Etc. You can learn this stuff from other people
    on the raids when you go. This post is probably too long
    already.

Manusra covered the important stuff.
    Last edited by Bolen; May 14th, 2004 at 00:43:43.
    Bolen - 220/23/70 trox ma clanner
    Proud Veteran of Synergy Factor
    www.synergyfactor.net
    Atlantean

By the time I dinged 200 I had 38k faction. I dinged 201 about 1.5 hours later because of it.

Basically all I did was get inferno access around 190 and was sure that anytime a faction raid was going on i showed up if it was convenient.

Doing it this way helped me avoid the horrid "faction grind" that so many players have dealt with because they were 200 before SL or waited to faction till 200.

Killing Mordeth is the best way to get faction. And spreading out the kills by running up to the inferno temple pre-200 is a nice way to avoid the pain of it all.

Great guide!
    /Lyddea