Thread: PvP Engies: pointless or am I missing somthing

Unhappy PvP Engies: pointless or am I missing somthing

OK, I'm still a little new to AO, I role a 57 Engie.

In PvP I seem to have only one stragety: sick my pet and run like hell. This does not work. MP's school me cause they have multiple pets, melee profs are to strong for me to withstand. Maybe I could take fixers if they don't root my pet. My point is that I feel like I'm at a disadvantage because when it comes right down to it, I'm a Tank class with a glaring weakness: ME

Help me out engies, how do I win?

Most times, you wont win at your level bud. Engies only become 'survivable' in pvp after level 120 or so. After that, we're not so horrible, hehe.

Some tips would be to NOT stand toe to toe with any melee class. RUn around alot and make the jerks try to catch you. They cant attack if they are running (aside from brawl). Also get lots of buffs. Crit, HP and ruspeed are some good ones.

Lets face it- everyone that is out to pvp gets buffs. So if you want a fighting chance- get everything you can.

Also- pick your fights wisely. Engie's can totally own certain classes if you use the right tactics, while other classes make us look like goobers. So dont just go running headlong into any ol situation.

Send me a /tell ingame sometime if you'd liek to hear some more stuff. Myself and Ouzzelle are among the few Rookie engie's, so it can be done

The Other infamous engi-

Jettie

".....I know who took the sandwiches! It was that @%$# Sasquatch!..."

Nice dude, I aprecate the help.

120 seems about right, I could probably morph into a slayer by then which means I own melee profs. (or at least I hope)
    Out of curiousity, what profs are good ones to engage?

I would love to hook up in-game sometime, I hope you don't have a beef with Omni's, I certainly don't have a problem with clanners.

Should I send tells to Jettie?

Thanks.

-in game name is "Cygnal"

Originally posted by Jetster

Some tips would be to NOT stand toe to toe with any melee class. RUn around alot and make the jerks try to catch you. They cant attack if they are running (aside from brawl).
    I can attack while running (specials or otherwise). It's the gun users that have to stand still.
    Katelin Arinia Rhees
    Level 220 Enforcer
    Former Enforcer Professional
    Former President of the late Midnight Reveries
    Account Created: 2001-10-08; Account Expired: 2005-02-19

no offense, i think engineer is among the worst pvp class at this point of time. the only thing that makes most engs able to compete is outside buff or an overequipped bot. engineer will be even weaker after 14.2, dark blue wep skill, dark blue evade, nerfed scope, smaller pet.....

maybe u should ask aphrodite, the self claimed best pvper, for some advice. he claimed he could get neophyte with any class. I would like to see him doing it with an engineer.

I tend to agree with you, Wenzell. 14.2 will make OEd bots pointless. I am not looking forward to a bot that cons orange, or worse, to me.

As far as contacting this player, do you think they would mind? I'm fairly well rounded but technicaly I'm still a noob. Perhaps the last thing this person wants is to be hounded in-game. Perhaps a forum post?

One other point of discussion is the possibility of the kamakazie bot. I still have yet to read up on this. Any thoughts?

Thanks

-Cygnal
    Omni
    57 Engie

Think Slopo got Apprentice som time ago

Engis have an EVIL disruptor field that can knock your attack rating down by 1000 for 30 secs or until you are hit, I remeber Ouzelle doing a test with a 170ish MA and he couldnt hit and his attack rating was somethign like -80.

Also It can make specials miss too, I saw a soldier try to alpha and the burst/FA missed
    If you can't beat them, Hit them in the face with a wrench

Rubirango

Ah yes...the disruptor fields. I figured those were for PvP. I only have one (ashamed to say I forgot which one) and it seems to have no effect on mobs, but it does spam my chat with "PvP not allowed in this area"

This one you mentioned seemes to be the answer I am looking for.

Looks like I should just power level my way to 120ish and try PvP then.

Oh I completely agree with ya Wenzell, for the most part, engies arent the pvp class of choice, not by a longshot.

And Bebop is on track with what he said about he disruptor field, its just amazing. It cripples most everyone. Only downside is it takes a few sec's for the aura to load into the opponents NCU.

To have a chance at pvp as an engie, you CANNOT rely on your bot to do the work. You gotta be able to deal most of the dmg yourself, cause pets are too easily negated.

You could get an engie to Neo- but it would literally take you a year to do so. Perhaps aphrodite is forgettin that engie's dont have MK- that would sure help us out, lol

In my expeirence, good classes to fight are enforcers, NT's, traders, and the occasional cocky soldier.

Keep in mind that this is at 120+, and given the fact you have the right equipment/buffs/strategies going.

And in regards to slopo- Yeah I saw her with apprentice a while back, but she seems to have vanished... oh well.

And yeah, send /tells to Jettie, I dont mind helpin a fellow techie out

The Other infamous engie-

Jettie

"..Its gonna start today- my life of saturdays.."
    Last edited by Jetster; Apr 25th, 2002 at 19:11:10.

Hmmph

What engies need is some mad defence
    like a badass layer thingy or a shield like the MK without the ref dmg.
    I been trying to PVP for some time now and i always have to run away or i go pop while bot is rooted or pulling guards etc.

Chasing greys is boring and they always tend to get away from the bot and me before i get them.
    Does anyone know what range the photon line has? and if its really worth the IPs?

Dagringo 176 engie -10 PVP kills

Re: Hmmph

Originally posted by DaGringo
    What engies need is some mad defence
    like a badass layer thingy or a shield like the MK without the ref dmg.
    I been trying to PVP for some time now and i always have to run away or i go pop while bot is rooted or pulling guards etc.
    hummm.... good plan, maybe you should get them to give you nukes too, and runbuffs, and crit buffs.
    My lungs arent blackened by tar, they're blackened by SIN!

Pet masters shouldnt have insane defense like other combat classes do. Pets will be the ones taking and dealing damage supposedly (not in pvp unfortunately)

What you need is offense, something like a kamikaze bot that has 2k run speed, unrootable, and can dish 10x damage within very short amount of time. When it explodes, it does 2k AoE damage ! And you can cast one every 3 minutes.

Exclamation Uhoh

Always thought of engies as a defensive prof.

Pet pathing havent worked since the first day of AO
    and i doubt it ever will, even less for PVP...Kami would be cool
    but it would most likely get stuck wherever it can unless it could fly or warp itself onto the enemy lol

hmm..... i lost my rookie title to a Novice... since then i've lost one fight to an Apprentice, and won 5 fights against apprentice, 2 fights rookie, and one freshman... still freshman title for me.... makes alot of sense aye?! fukin FC. maybe if Cosmic/Cz stop (edited by me.. this line origionaly intended for flame... but i'm not that mean.. and i'm not that pissed off..... yet), and do their damn jobs, they might not have so many angry customers

helloooo?! wheres the PvP FORMULA?!

maybe we shouldn't be blaming Cosmic/Cz.. maybe it's not thier fault the Dev team don't wanna spill the beens on the PvP Formula..

maybe the college intern they got to program the PvP system is too busy studying for finals...
    Last edited by Ouzzelle; Apr 25th, 2002 at 23:30:08.
    Ouzzelle: It's an O damnit! not a Q!... and it's pronounced Weasel to you omnis.....

Clanners call me Ozzy

Duffer1: SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!!
    Riddance Jr.: Is it dead?