Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Expansion Pack-Official Word

Thumbs up Wow, and to think some of you call me a n00b!?

Expansion? Yes!!

Name the last MMORPG you played that didn't have an expansion. Hell, name the last **good** game you played that didn't have an expansion or a sequel (which is usually just a higher priced expansion). Some of you are obviously new to this whole gaming thing.

Expansions *gasp!* expand on the current game! (who'da thought such a thing?!) They add areas, perks, and yes, even fix bugs that are too complicated (aka too large) for a simple patch. This isn't an "EQ" attitude, it's a MMORPG attitude. It may even be an industry attitude! Minimal work, maximum reward, that's an expansion for ya. It's what keeps the game worth playing years down the road. Here's a free clue, UO has expansions. You think they got the idea from EQ? Umm..yeah, sure.

They are going to make an expansion. They aren't asking for your permission. They are stating their intentions. If you're game experience is so miserable then why the hell are you here? Good god! Go play something you have fun with!

I've never seen a company that stopped patches because they were working on an expansion (staying in the MMORPG area here). They will continue to fix, balance, and nerf just to piss you off even more. The day the patches stop you can quit threatening to quit because the days of the server are already numbered.

Someone mentioned Midgard? Nice page, too bad it's last update was 2001/10/16. Hmmm...apparently not putting too much effort into the project if they can't even update the website in over 6 months.

*P.S. someone mentioned the new graphics vs old graphics. The new item graphics will either be downloaded to everyone through a patch (which I hate since I'm stuck on dial up) or they will show a default graphic for those who don't have the expansion (which I hate since I like to see the new, cooler looking stuff). It's not going to cause a catastrophic meltdown of the server. Most likely they'll have an option for people to avoid the extra load on their computer so a person can stick with the default looks from the release game even if they are playing the expansion.
    Last edited by Crung; Apr 26th, 2002 at 23:11:24.
    Bet I can run faster scared than they can mad!

Item textures should be in a normal patch, just people who don't have the expansion can't USE the items, just see them.

An expansion is what? 20, 30 dollars? Are we that poor folks?

Now about the expansion. The zone of Jobe should NOT be on it. It is on the damn map. If you haven't noticed, about 40% of the zones that we're suppose to be in the game are not even here! Those zones should be patched in. As should be all the content that SHOULD have been on the game from the start.

As for the new dimension, player class mods and other stuff that is actually NEW and not something that should have been in from the start, sure, that should be an expansion.

Hell, we're all AO crackheads and you know that we'll all be at our local computer stores the day the expansion comes out anyway, so why do we even put up a fight?

Xera
    Xeraseus

Why do I keep playing? *edit* disreguard, ditched this game *edit*

Why Can't Chown Save?

Biding my time until the time is right........

Erm, to reiterate what someone said before:

Where on the box, or in any ads, does it say that Jobe should've been in at launch?

Do you know how big zones are? Pretty big. Especially cities, where you have lots and lots of building renders to worry about. Therefore, I think it's about impossible to patch in. The poor 56k users would never get to play. Ever. Also, just because it's on the map doesn't mean it should be in the game already, or in at launch.

There were big hovertanks and massive battles portrayed in the intro movie. THOSE aren't in game. However, nobody gets bent out of shape about it either.

Catch ya planetside.
    Nakomis
    101 Opi MA RK1
    In Search of a Friendly Helpful Guild

Wistler
    53 Sol Engie RK1
    President of NFC

Catch ya planetside...

There are other places than the box to make promises. Gaute has said that dungeons, zones and cities would be part of the patches we pay for. Dungeons, fine, but the other 2 things has been very scarce.
    *poof*

Finally free from this nightmare!

Exclamation my thoughts

for every one out there *****ing about the expantion get a life, and look at the industry. first off i play EQ and got most of the expantions way after they came out. and i could still play with my friends that got the expantions right away. i just could not go with them to the new areas. next for all you who say that they are making us pay for things they promissed already. look at EQ on the box it says explore 5 contanents when it only had 3. on where have i seen them state that the stuff they are adding with the expantion was to be apart of the origanle game.

i for one will be buying it becuase any thing that adds to the world of AO is a good thing. i realy want to check out the proffetion inhancements. and the new zones to explore and hang out in.

I do have the money for the expansion.

That is NOT the issue.

"Well if you're so poor then why don't you get a job?" Please!

This is perhaps the saddest thing I heard. Thing about this is that its common knowledge that AO was released WAY too early. Things like Memory leaks, missing playfields, bugfixes and the likes are things we have had to endure due to this fact.

And now that most (And I do say most) of these issues have been fixed. They want us to pay more money for what would be in the game if they'd pushed release a little further.

Its not about whether or not you got the money. Its about paying for a product you feel is worth it.

Its excactly the same as buying a car and then finding out that you have to buy the wheels seperately.

If this expansion held the playfields of an Off World colony. or maybe a whole different planet. Well sure. Not a problem. But the playfields left of Rome? Jobe? the likes?

Thats what my problem is.

And Devruss: If EQ promised you to explore 5 continents but only gave you 3 thats false advertising and would in most cases hold legal merit which in term would be grounds enough for a lawsuit.

Just cause all the companies see the tires seperately should that mean we just have to accept that this is how business is done?

Use your head.
    Gontrokka 155 Enforcer
    When the going gets tough, the others start running!

Captain Baxie Orbin 204 Trader
    - Baby, you look good enough to eat!

Countezz 23 Adventurer
    - Who'd have thought a Steve Irwin wannabe could kick so much ass!

"Baby, you look good enough to eat!"

Originally posted by Xiauzon
    Hell, we're all AO crackheads and you know that we'll all be at our local computer stores the day the expansion comes out anyway, so why do we even put up a fight?
    I know, and it saddens me... Think it's time to hit the rehab?

--sil

I do have the money for the expansion.

That is NOT the issue.

"Well if you're so poor then why don't you get a job?" Please!

This is perhaps the saddest thing I heard. Thing about this is that its common knowledge that AO was released WAY too early. Things like Memory leaks, missing playfields, bugfixes and the likes are things we have had to endure due to this fact.

And now that most (And I do say most) of these issues have been fixed. They want us to pay more money for what would be in the game if they'd pushed release a little further.

Its not about whether or not you got the money. Its about paying for a product you feel is worth it.

Its excactly the same as buying a car and then finding out that you have to buy the wheels seperately.

If this expansion held the playfields of an Off World colony. or maybe a whole different planet. Well sure. Not a problem. But the playfields left of Rome? Jobe? the likes?

Thats what my problem is.

And Devruss: If EQ promised you to explore 5 continents but only gave you 3 thats false advertising and would in most cases hold legal merit which in term would be grounds enough for a lawsuit.

Just cause all the companies see the tires seperately should that mean we just have to accept that this is how business is done?

Use your head.
    Very good points indeed. Puts a word to what a lof of us feel about this. I have allready said my thing in this debate, but to all of those who post and are tired of the whiners?? Did it ever occur to yourselves that YOU are actually the one whining about the so called whiners? And why are they whiners? Because the sahre anotehr opninon that yours? Saddens me to see how many sorry people there is out there. I love this game, but I am in general tired of beeing FUBARED all the time. Hence no offense to the game, but to the producers of it and the way they handle things.
    Elements of Destruction

[Virre lvl 164 Enf ] [Virrefix lvl 50 Fixer] - Part Time Hobby -

[Current Config]

Your answers were split as follows:
    Explorer 66%
    Killer 53%
    Socializer 46%
    Achiever 33%

We Will Miss You Wrangeline

In an ocean of twits, a landslide of complaint posts yours, Sinett, is a nice thing to see.

I take the silence from the people who disagree as I have made a point that they can't get by.

Plain and simple.
    Gontrokka 155 Enforcer

Countezz 23 Adventurer

Re: Just one question

Originally posted by Nonalla
    Will the expansion pack fix all the bugs still current in the game?
    The above is the best example of wishful thinking I've seen. In all seriousness, it may well correct a few, but I guarantee you it'll introduce a host more.

I just hope Funcom gets things right re: patch day when it happens. Being able to download patches free of the in-game loader is a good thing (you reading this, Mr Anal I Do Things My Way Verant?) and I feel that may alleviate any patch server congestion.

Talking Newbies . . .

OMG!! All you people *****ing about (a) how you have to pay for the expansion pack, and/or (b) they need to fix EVERY SINGLE glitch, bug, balancing issue BEFORE releasing additional content are MMORPG NEWBIES!!!!!!

Welcome to the genre . . ..

Actually Baxie, as cool as an offworld expansion would be, it wouldn't be feasible. Not a single nanobreed would be able to go there. Which is exactly the reverse of what's about to happen with the expansion. Assuming that all the info we have heard so far is true, and Jobe is nanobreed only.

As far as missing playfields at launch, well...
    I know I personally wouldn't want all the playfields in the game right away, because then there really isn't anything to look forward to in an expansion. I like the way they are doing this. This is just me of course. BTW, could you please post a link to the article in which Gaute stated that all the new cities etc. would be included in patches? I don't remember seeing it, and it may turn out to be an article I missed. Thanks.

Bottom line is:

The expansion is coming, whether we want it or not. If you want it, buy it. If not, don't. That's about as simple as I can see it.

Catch ya planetside.
    Nakomis
    101 Opi MA RK1

Wistler
    53 Sol Engie RK1
    President of NFC

Catch ya planetside...

this is a bad thing.....

i could swear that funcom said that buying items online from people is unbalancing. This expansion thing would be equally bad in my opinion since this is a pvp game, with those perks and **** the people are paying for and advantage over others. soon funcom will probably include some items or perks that you can only get by paying them a load of money. or maybe a "pay us money and your character lvls up" service. oh wait, thats what this expansion is going to do.....

with this new expansion their programmers already working hard to fix the bugs in the current game and get us what we orginally paid for will be rushing out a expansion instead and most likely ignoring all the patches that are due.

having expansions out this early is just like jacking up the monthly price, if they want to do stuff like this it should be fair for everyone and given to everyone that has the game, just make the monthly price higher or something so people know the truth. not to be tricked into paying every year for something new.

I for one, will not take this **** that they are trying to do. If they are actually charging us for this patch/expansion, i will choose one of the many, better, games that are out. I am keeping my eyes on Shadowbane for now.

...only funcom wins with a deal like this...

OMG what are you talking about?

I usually don't reply like this, but you deserve my special attention.

First, what does an expansion pack have to do with Ebayers? Except that it will ruin their business for a lot of things when people who DO buy the expansion find better stuff?

Second, just because you bought the game doesn't give you the right to have all expansion packs for free. Even if they jacked up the monthly price, it wouldn't be "fair" to everyone. What about people who are perfectly content with what they have? The people who don't really care that they are making an expansion? Why should they have to pay more every month so that YOU can not have to pay $30 or so for the expansion?

As far as it being early on, by the time the expansion is released the game will have been out for a year and a half. That's more than 25% of the story line's projected time. That is not soon at all, it's about right on time.

I take it from your rant that you never played any other MMORPG. EVERY other MMORPG out there so far has had expansion packs. And they will continue to have expansion packs because that is their RIGHT as a company! They have an obligation to their shareholders to make as much money as is legally possible. You, as a consumer, have the RIGHT to either buy or not buy their product. If you buy it, great. Both people win. If not, then oh well, no skin off Funcom's back. There are plenty of others out there who WILL buy it.

Funcom has already said they will NOT ignore patches, that they will come as scheduled before the expansion announcement.

As far as you going to play Shadowbane? What makes you think they won't have an expansion pack eventually? The "many, better games" that are out there (I am assuming you are talking about MMORPG's) ALL have expansion packs. Your argument is not valid. Like I said before. Buy it or don't. Don't come in here spouting this garbage about how it's not FAIR!!!! Or about how you don't want to pay for an expansion, and they should wait on making one until YOU consider all the bugs to be fixed. Get real man.

Catch ya planetside.
    Nakomis
    101 Opi MA RK1

Wistler
    53 Sol Engie RK1
    President of NFC

Catch ya planetside...

God you people annoy me sometimes.

Funcom offers the best MMORPG gaming experience on the market right now. They let you download a 7-day free trial with NO other mmorpg offers. They give you incredibly cheap game discs (20ish dollars US) and charge a minimal fee monthly for what most people use as hundreds of hours a month of entertainment. Can you even comprehend what a deal it is? All mmorpgs are a deal for their price when you consider how much playtime you get out of them, christ.

Look at EQ and UO they both have MANY expansion packs and no one cared about paying for them, why should we. "Funcom should have had this stuff out in the original game" Who cares? Maybe 1-2 of the things yes, but whos to say what great stuff we will get in the next 6 months before the Expansion through their patching. Sure patching every couple weeks to fix things seems bad but did you notice they add new areas and items every time almost, can you say that about EQ and UO, or AC? Hell no.

I disagree with a ton of funcoms balancing issues and sense of fairness. I hate the nerfs, the overpowered classes and the ignoring people, but for gods sake people if you complain about 10-50 bucks here and there, you should go play on games.yahoo.com, it's free there, but i doubt you'll play Yahoo Battleship 8 hours a day and love it.

Deal with it or move on.

And as far as people not believing they can lock someone who doesn't buy the x-pack out of new areas, play Ultima Online, the people who didn't buy T2A addon got shafted bigtime, the fact is, everyone bought it, their own fault if they dont, at least they didn't lose anything from what they had with the original.

Keep up the good work, Funcom. You recently made me reactivate by patching so quickly and impressing me. You deserve my 12.99$ a month even if all i do with it is post on the forums. For the cost of a lunch or two at Wendy's, this is a steal.

*bump*

My 2 cents.. or 3

hehe stuborn me who cant go to jobes anyway then not nanomage

Hey im all for it...
    expansions for new areas to explore is just what i wait for... may it be big areas with not many details... (hey i luv the AV areas (artery valley))

kinda gives back the n00b feeling to explore the unexplored.... just that.... i would like it to be harder to get to these areas.. (like no yalm ) bah maybe im to used to uo where in illshenar you had to actully walk to the places then putting runestones at... *smiles*
    RK1 - Hajk - Solitus - Lvl 217/DR 16 - Nanotech - Apocalypse
    ---
    Explorer 60% / Socializer 53% / Killer 46% / Achiever 40%

I was making an example with that Off World thing. I wasn't trying to give any ideas.

"I know I personally wouldn't want all the playfields in the game right away, because then there really isn't anything to look forward to in an expansion."

That is where I couldn't agree less with anyone.

I didn't buy this game and play it only to sit around and wait for Funcom to release another Expansion to go explore.

Expansions IMO can be good. I bought the LOD Xpack for Diablo. I wanted it and I bought it. But then again I haven't paid 12.95$ a month x 9 + 49.99$ or a grand total of 166,54$ to play it as I have with AO. Granted there is a lot of differences between the two products. But I feel a company who gets a monthly payment would do good in at least giving their customers a finished product.

As I said in an earlier post this expansion will seriously unbalance PvP and the Economy. Its a smart move from Funcoms side. They are actually forcing us the customers to shell out 20 or 30$ (Which is more than the game itself costs in a shop here in Denmark) if we don't want to be hopelessly underpowered in PvP or if we don't want to be left by a team that wants to go to a new playground.

As for the article where Gaute said all playfields would be in the game.... its not excactly phrased like that its more like: "There will be NO expansion packs released for AO"

That was one thing Captfallout was right about.
    Gontrokka 155 Enforcer

Countezz 23 Adventurer

Just found this somewhere else on these boards:

'"I think our players will be surprised by how we're going to introduce and build on the story. New locations and zones, cities, dungeons, quests, and new characters will be added on a continuous basis, together with in-game events and a storyline that's communicated outside the game."

-Ragnar Tornquist

Doesn't say anything about you having to pay extra for all that does it now?
    Gontrokka 155 Enforcer

Countezz 23 Adventurer

Nor does it say you won't be paying extra for it.
    Bet I can run faster scared than they can mad!

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast