Thread: Can't pick up items while fighting

Question Can't pick up items while fighting

I'm an agent, I do a lot of agent stuff like sneaking and sniping. Consider the following scenario, which has happened to me on several occations:

So, you need a piece a equipment or whatnot and take a mission some levels above your own. Since you're an agent, you can't engage any of the enemies (and survive) so you have to rely on your stealth.

After half an hour of careful sneaking, moving around high perception reds, sneaking behind the backs of others, you reach the goal of your mission: some item your employer wants returned. But, alas, it's guarded by some red mob which promptly attacks you.

Now, of course, you try to do the only logical thing: snatch the item before their very eyes and get the heck out of there while chanting "All your stuff is belong to me".

But you can't, and that sucks!

Please allow me to pick up items while engaged in combat.

move slider bar to below 25%...that stops auto-attack...or pound esc franticly while trying 2 pick the item up. I've blitzed missions with 8+ mobs beating on me & still grabbed the item......
    Supersoly lvl 220 Atrox Enforcer
    Fearthis lvl 200 Opi MA
    Tehsoly lvl 60 Atrox Enforcer

and a lvl 160+ sold...

Legion

Well, yes, but that's a bit of my point; the difficulty should not be in the interface. The interface has one job and one job only; to do what I want it to do.

If I want to pick an item up, the interface should do whatever necessary to have it done, including temporarily lowering whatever slider needs to be lowered.

Making the interface part of the difficulty is poor game design.

Oh, I forgot, the interface has two jobs: do what I want and look pretty.

Sorry about that.

(Why would you have agression bar high when you're sneaking anyway? :-/
    I'm not an agent - does it increase concealment, or was it just an whopsie? )

it's not really "interface" issue... at best it's a "policy/decision" issue.
    A game designer decided that "players can't pick up items or open chests while in attack mode".
    As you've shown, the interface does a very good job of enforcing this

Think of it this way: It's not the aggression bar that prevents you from picking item up; it's the fact that you're in attack mode.
    So even if they did what you wanted, if bar was lowered when you clicked on item - you'd still be unabel to pick it up.

Now, if you wanted it to automatically stop attacking when you click on item... ugh, now _that_ is bad interface design . Can you imagine the complaints people would make when they die because they accidentally clicked on something and stopped attacking? :-)

At any rate, sympathies on your premature death in that mission .
    It's a frustrating thing to happen for sure . It happens to me every time I forgot to lower my aggression bar, then I spend a bit of a time cursing at myself, and I feel better

You should always have your aggression bar set all the way to the left when sneaking or blitzing missions. This way you won't auto attack, and if you do get attacked by mobs you will take less damage.

And this also allows you to pick up that item while under attack as well.

minor note

If the final objective of a mission is JUST to pickup the item (i.e. max bad max money), you don't have to pick it up. Targeting the item and hitting T (target information), and wait 3 seconds and the mission will complete.

Re: minor note

Originally posted by Lodrin-Omni
    If the final objective of a mission is JUST to pickup the item (i.e. max bad max money), you don't have to pick it up. Targeting the item and hitting T (target information), and wait 3 seconds and the mission will complete.
    he was doing a return item mission, sometimes you have no choice but to do one of them because it is the only mission that has the item u want as a reward.

fyi you don't hit esc to stop attacking you hit Q, esc untargets whatever you have targeted, Q is your attack button so therefore hiting it will make you stop attacking.

the reason they added that to the game is because way back in the day everyone was blitzing missions and buying yalmas at lvl 40, plus they added locked doors to help slow down the blitzing.
    My small army on rbk2

NT
    Got Nullity Sphere?

Crat

trader
    <--flavor of the month

I See you!

You don't need to press T to finish the mission if you just click on the MO once and wait a second before d-clicking to pick it up. The mission will automatically finish.

And, pressing ESC does stop you from fighting.

Psyphen
    "Today is a good day to...ACK!"

I've said it in another post (somewhere), but now is a great time to say it again. What we will be doing in the future is give you the option to turn off auto-attack and auto-face. That will help alot in those combat scenarios where you just want to ignore the thing hitting you.

plus they added locked doors to help slow down the blitzing.

I wouldn't say that is the reason. Locked doors are there to...well...unlock. Source of (albeit) small xp, and encourages use in the Breaking and Entering skill. Those MOBs need to lock up their ph4t l3wt too!
    Earn free game time and play with your friends[/b]

Anarchy Online Community Representative

Post the locked up ph4t l3wt.....

so the mobs lock up their phat loot eh

so why is it then, that when i unlock a "phat loot" trasure chest, theres nothing but empty space? does the mobs treat empty space as "phat loot". What is your standars of "phat loot"? ( for example, a ql 50 Robot Junk might be view as "phat" while my own view of "phat loot" would only include omni-pol elite armor and such ) and fianlly, if the monsters were smart enough to lock up their loot, then they must be smart enough to put some "loot" in the treasure chest first, if they were stupid enough to not put anything in a "treasure chest" then they must not be smart enough to lock up the chest.

This is confusing........