Thread: When memories is all that remains.

When memories is all that remains.

The stars twinkled over the cloudless Mort desert as they usualy do, completely ignorant of the Leets and Rollerrats that were hiding in their burrows to escape the biting cold of the desert night.

The ruins glowed softly, even after all this time they wore the marks of the horrible battle that had once taken place here. So many of his friends had gone in, but only a handfull had escaped with their lifes, if not their sanity. Clan, Omni, and a few Neutrals had come here to free the Cyborgs prisoners. It had been a disaster, even if the primary objectives had been achived.

The trecherous sand shifted under his feet as he slowly made his way down the dunes, his armors internal systems informing him that the area was heavily radiation damaged. His suit could protect him, but only for so long.

As he walked further into the ruined outpost the signs of battle became clearer. Sand had been fused to big shards of glass by heavy Plasma and Laser bolts, bullet holes riddled every wall that were still standing, the burnt out husks of Gamma grenades were everywhere.

He passed a piece of standing wall that was miraculously unharmed but for the erosion of sand and wind. That was where Moomh, the spirits bless his heart of gold, had finaly been dragged down by a dozen Cyborgs, fighting to the last with his back against that very piece of wall. It was a fitting monument to the seemingly indistructible Atrox.

His walk took him through the compound, every step, every sight bringing back memories of friends and allies lost, of Heroes left unsung but for the memories of a few survivors. The almost gone crater where Worto had stepped on a mine, the dark spatters of dried blood where Merina.....

So many memories. So much pain.
    Still he walked on, forcing himself closer to his goal.

He stopped at the entrance to the deep bunker. Half blocking the doorway was the remains of Minuteman. The Warbot had fought a desperate last battle over the the remains of it´s masters dead body. With a bow of respect he entered the bunker. His personal Hell.

He walked past the guard room, then the barracs. Then the closed and sealed door to the command room. Japet had stormed the door and then sealed it from the inside, trapping herself inside with the base commander and it´s bodyguard. The dents on the door showed that something had been pounding on it from the inside, but the massive blastdoor had held.

His feet felt like lead as he walked down the stair to the first basement of the bunker. This was the cell block. As he passed the third cell, he almost turned back. This was his cell. In there he had spent weeks in constant pain, humiliation and fear.

When he passed the fifth cell he stopped. Why did he do this to himself? He closed his eyes and a single tear forced it´s way out. Because he had made a promise never to forget, never to forgive. He walked on, each step becoming ten times harder than the one before.

He passed the last cell. This was the point where it had all turned. Masses of Cyborgs coming up from the lower barracs, forcing them to turn back. Preventing them from entering the door at the end of corridor. The interogation room.

With a shove of his shoulder he forced the door open. Everything was exactly as he had left it. Well, almost. The Perm-a-candle had almost burnt out, and the lone rose was just dried out husk. He slowly walked over to the steel table. Even after all this time it was covered in a thick layer of dried blood and grime.

With a hiss the seals on his helmet came undone and he placed it on the table next to the candle. His tears flowed freely now, barely making it to his cheeks before they evaporated into the dry air. His helmet chirped three times at the danger of the radiation, but this was something he had to do. From his backpack he took out a new candle and a freshly imported rose.

"Another year has passed my love." He replaced the old rose with the new one, placing the old in a stasis tube. "Still i remember." He lit the new Perm-a-candle on the old one as it burnt it´s last fuel. "Please forgive me. We could not save you." He fell to his knees, tears staining his face.

For several minutes all that could be heard was the sobbing of a man that had his heart torn and shredded, but still left alive.

"I´m growing old my love. I can feel it in my bones." He looked at his left glove, counted some of marks on it. Close to fifteen hundred Cyborgs had fallen to him since that fatefull day. Still not enough. Never enough.

He took out the Holo-Pic projector from one of his armors pockets. Linda. His life. Everything. He thumbed the button, flipping through more pictures, remembering. Linda, him and Linda, friends, acqueintances, Clan mates.

He came to the last picture. It was him and Linda outside the Council of Truth tower in Tir, proudly holding up the marriage certificate, signed and stamped. It had been taken a week before their planned wedding, four days before they went on that ill fated patrol.

Pain, loss, hate and memories, that was all he had now from that time. His helmet chirped again, more urgently this time. If he stayed much longer the radiation could cause serious, even unrepairable damage.

He stood up and swung the backpack onto his back. He checked one last time that everything was as it should be before he grabbed his helmet. Later tonight he would lit candles in the cathedral for all the others and remember them all propperly. But this, this was for Linda alone. The love of his life. The one they could not save. The one that might still be in the Cyborgs prison somewhere, or worse yet, turned into a Cyborg herself. He prayed with all his heart that she had come to a swift and painless death.

He stopped at the door and turned halfway back into the room. "See you in another year my love."

Some one had once said that he was not truly alive anymore, just a dried out husk, much like the flower in the stasis tube. That was partialy true. The man he once was had died a long time ago, he had died piece by piece under the scalpel of a Cyborg interogator, when he had spent hours forced to listen to the torture of his friends, when he could not save his love. When he learned that the Council of Truth had refused to mount a major rescue operation, then refused to take his warnings of the Cyborg threat for real.

Gone was the idealistic young Soldier that had fought and belived in the Clans cause with all his heart. Left was only a tormented man with memories of a better time. Elmo "Xhairs" Barchus, general of the Omni-Tek Armed Forces.

He walked out of the bunker, into the cold desert night. Once again he donned his helmet and checked the seals. As he climbed the dunes surrounding the compound the sand hissed, flowed and settled around his boots. He was never quite sure if it was just the movement of sand, his imagination, or ghosts not yet laid to rest. "Remember us!" he thought he heard, so many voices, all wanting to be remembered. When he passed the peak of the dune they were all gone, except for one.

"Remember me my love."

----------------------------------------------------------------
    (In memory of Kate Oakley. I will never forget you.)
    "On the frontlines, there is but one commandment...
    Thou Shalt Kill."

"As i stride knee deep through the dead, all is clear. I know what must be done...
    My cause is just...My will is strong...
    ...And my gun is very, very large!"
    The words of a true soldier.

Exclamation

(OOC: Oooopppsssie!. I was kind of in a hurry when i wrote the last few blocks, so i forgot to put in what this was all about. Aahheerrmm.

Anyway, here goes.

Memories, and our past, is what makes us the people we are. Every living person has a history, and a view of the world that makes him or her unique.

This is a challenge to all you that want your characters to be something more than the steretypical warrior, scientist or paper pusher. Let your character take a walk down memory lane, let the rest of us see the world and it´s history through his/her eyes for a moment. Let us know what made him/her into who he/she is today.

My first post is just a suggestion on how this can be made, do it in any way you feel like.

And with that i leave the floor open to anyone that feel like participating in this little project of mine. Hope to see some other posts. /ooc)
    Thou Shalt Kill."

"As i stride knee deep through the dead, all is clear. I know what must be done...

The monestary was the empitomy of solace and completeness. I, along with the other monks who resided there, tended the gardens, practiced our arts and meditated on the meanings of what most would take in life as the simplist things.

We understood the simple things are not, and the complex things are often most simple. The war between Omni-Tek and the clans for instance, something that to the naked eye seems complex, is in actuality very simple. Human beings driven by their emotions to do what they feel is right. Different concepts of what is right clashing and fighting together while an air of greed hangs above their heads.

Things that are simple on first glance, such as the workings of a pendulum or the colorful flowers lining our gardens are much more deep and complex than what many of us in the monestary would call a petty conflict.

Carefully and thoughtfully I went about my life there, vowed to silence and completely content in it. One who always listened and did not speak was destined to grow wiser as time went on.

Even as the ground would shake below us and the explosions of notum mining towers could be heard in the far off distance, we went on, resolute in the knowledge we held. Content in it. We of course knew we were not safe from the war waging only miles away, all over the planet, not physically safe.

None of us had used the insurance technology before, we believed that death was meant to be when it came for us, and we would simply move on. Even though it was discouraged among us, I could not help feeling an incredible attachment to the other monks, they were my family, truly. I don't know if the others felt this way and for surely they did not know I did.

One day as I meditated on a high building, basking in the peaceful serinity of the dual suns, they came.

Our monestary was in Omni-Tek territory, but we were not Omni-Tek. It didn't seem to matter though. Troops, adorned in Sentinal armor stormed the temple grounds firing weapons carelessly ahead of them. Mortars hit the sides of the buildings around us, crumbling walls and bringing stone down upon some. Many of us fell in the initial surprise onslaught, falling to the ground, in pools of blood or crushed by stone. Caught off guard in a place that was obviously holy ground. We had no intentions to hurt anyone.

We fought so hard.

One of the monks, Asijin was fighting hard against two sentinals in close combat when one of them came up behind him with a high powered pistol.

I could not bear the weight of seeing it, I screamed out his name, breaking my vow of silence and shaming myself in warning to him. I hoped that somehow, even through the shame I brought upon myself, something could be done for him. It was too late however, and he was shot in the back of the head. As he fell and hit the cold stone before them, I screamed with a fury I had not felt before. Summersaulting down from my perch and running forward I released the most potent Dimach I have ever felt within my soul, killing those three.

I pulled the beads from my sleeve, which were threaded with a strong steel cable, and ran forward towards the rest of the fighting. I strangled one from behind, pinching off his air and blood supply then moving to the next. I felt pure sadness rushing through my veins, focused outwardly as the strongest and most pure aggression I have felt even to this day.

Though our losses were heavy, we were winning, we had almost beaten them back or killed them all. Then a drop ship soared down from the sky, another contingent of soldiers leaped down and opened fire the second they hit the ground. Their men were hit, we were hit. They didn't seem to care of life at all.

I took bullets and energy burns to my legs, arms and torso. It felt as though my body was on fire for a moment, and then I fell.

I awakened, what I can only imagine to be days later in a field some miles away, just outside Rome. Behind me was a dried and intermittent trail of what could only have been my own blood. I felt very weak, I hurt all over. Yet even as I spit out the blood, dirt and grass, I drug myself towards the city that lay ahead of me.

When I pulled myself in through the city gates, nearby Omni-Pol officers immediately took notice.

One stood back stating bluntly "No bleeding!" while two others rushed to my side.

"Stop it Fauchs, this woman needs medical attention, call it into Omni-Med."

The other replied "Yes, sir" raised his hand to his head and in a low tone, spoke something I couldn't make out in my weakened condition.

I was taken into a nearby building and laid in a bed. Doctors used a powerful kind of nanotechnology on me and healed my bones and flesh. I was well and healed within a few minutes.

I was then debreifed and questioned as to what brought me to the state they found me in. After explaining myself, I was to meet with Philip Ross. The Council of Truth had recently fell apart, and some clans were a bit more "active" than others, considering anything in Omni territory fair game. To Mr. Ross it seemed, they were all the same and for some reason I could almost not disagree with him.

The rest is history for another time. How I became a detachment leader for Omni-Tek, how I came to the life I now lead. How I feel about the life and people I lost.

I went back to the monestary at one time, the old blood still yet to be washed away completely by the rains, the gardens dead or dying. It was a deserted ruin, a place of solace I once held closely to my soul, destroyed and pillaged by mindless, thoughtless, careless ruffians.

The clans would definately have to pay for such crimes. We did not do anyone harm. They can preach about freedom and goodness all they like, I know the truth. They will be punished.
    Last edited by Aulial; Dec 26th, 2003 at 12:19:08.
    lol hehe wtf pwnt bbq

"Shaking the frigid cold off of his metal Cloak, Sallust arrives to his office in Camelot to check on his official and public duties.

the room is spartan and plain, because no lavish distractions are needed nor appreciated. It is functional, and the simplicity works well to focus souls on a task or a purpose.

Sallust sighs

Unfortunately things can never be that simple. He walks over to the south wall and goes directly to a plain point. He reaches out and touches one plain and ordinary brick, which then disappears to reveal a communications unit. Its flashing display indicating an important message.

To S.

We have discovered an intense and passionate soul among the ranks of the Omni-Tek soldiers. His name is Xhairs and he is driven far more passionately than any of the normal wageslaves among Omni-Tek.

Please find a way to encounter him, to study and learn about his soul. Make the usual 'interview' report, and bring me the spirit analysis as usual. Your work is invaluable and crucial to us.

- S.L.

Never long to rest says Sallust. It appears I have circumstances to arrange once again. He then briskly walks out the plain door as the brick materializes into place making all appear plain and ordinary once again."
    Clan Elder of The Pilgrims

I am not a monster.

As she uses her keycard to the apartment, she gets the feeling something is not quite right. Balancing the gorcerybag she slowly opens the door, step inside and close it with her foot.

"Why hasn’t he returned yet? the mission was supposed to be over days ago" she mumbles to herself. As she step into the hallway she notices the lights in the kitchen are burning.
    As she steps into the kitchen she is met by her worst nightmare.
    The body of her lover is lying lifeless on the floor, she can barely recognize him, as half his face is blown of. The bag of groceries fall to the floor as she realises what has happened, Slowly she walks up to his body, kneel next to it, take him in her arms and hold him close, tears start falling down her face. She sits like that for hours, totally unaware of her beeping com or the ice cream melting on the floor next to her. She just sits there, cradling his dead body, rocking back and forth as the tears roll down her face.

A hand on her shoulder, shaking her, snaps her back to reality. "We heard what happened, are you alright?" her commander asks. "Alrigth" she thinks to herself "how can anything be alright?"
    "I want them to pay for this" she says.

12 hours later they have the intel on who ordered the execution. Another 8 hours later Rawenna has her team ready for a retaliatory strike, to make the ones responsible pay for her loss.

Slowly the fixer cuts through the steel net fence, fold it to the side and slide through, one by one the others follow. All dressed in black, with their faces painted, then quickly and quietly move over the compound to the barracks where the men responsible are sleeping. Quickly the guard at the backdoor is disabled and disarmed.

Slowly she opens the door, slip inside and scout the hallway to make sure it is secure. She signals her team to enter. She heads 2 of her men to the officers quarters. The rest keep lookout in the hallway. The men return with the officers, bound and gagged.

Swiftly they move into the main sleeping quarter. She shoots of her Pistol into the ceiling, waking the soldiers, who run for their weapons. "if you move I will blow your brains out!" she yells, the soldiers stop dead in their tracks.
    "We are here to avenge the execution of Ezikle Jameson. I don't know witch one of you that pulled the trigger, but I know you were only following orders. I hope you will live with the knowledge for the rest of eternity, and burn in hell for it" she says.

Slowly she walks up to the officers, she can see the sweating, their faces filled with fear. She walks around to the back of the first officer, grabs his hair and kicks him in the back of his knees, making him kneel. "I hereby sentence you to death for ordering the execution of Ezikel Jameson" she says. She put her pistol to the back of his head, leans forwards and whispers in his ear " unlike you I am not a monster, I could never make anyone suffer the way you are making me suffer" as she pulls the trigger. His head explodes as the bullet rid through his brain, blood splattering all over her face. A few seconds later the officer is revived at the resurectionarea. She walks up to the next officer, makes him kneel too, put her pistol to his head, and whispers " be thankful I do not wish to hurt your family" then pull the trigger, more blood splatting on her face.

She stand there before the soldiers, face covered in blood. "If any of you ever harm any of my friends or loved ones again I will not be as merciful" she says to them, and 2 seconds later the fixer emergency evacs them team, as the troupers on the base storm the barracks.

3 days later she lays her lover to rest in Greater Tir County, where they met for the first time only a few months ago.
    "I will never forget you, you will live on in my memory forever" she promises, as a single tear falls down her face. She turns around, never looking back and walks away.
    Rawenna -Proud General of Alpha Omega

"Royal bitch of the Clans"

Member of the CoT clergical staff

saying goodbye.

With hesitating steps she walked up to the door and dug up the key card from her pocket. With a hizzz the door slid open, effortlessly even though it had not been used for years. Reluctantly she stepped inside and the door slides shut behind her.

She reaches out an hand and touch the coat hanging there, the memories return, she can still feel the sent of him, still hear his voice in her head. She remembering kissing him goodbye when he headed out to the mission, the last time she saw him.

Slowly she walk down the hallway, in to the bedroom, it still looks the same as when she left it. She sits down on the bed, and picks up a photo from the bedside table. She looks at it with a sad smile, touching the dusty glass.
    Tears starts forming in her eyes as she looks at the face, she had almost forgot what he looked like. She sits there, memories flowing over her, memories she had oppressed for so long.

She gets up and walks toward the kitchen, stopping at the doorway, afraid to step in, remembering what she found last time she was here.

It was here she had found him, lying on the floor.

She looks around; the packet of ice cream is still on the floor where it had landed, a lifetime ago.
    The bag of groceries is still there, with its cans. Everything is covered with a coat of dust.

She steps in into the kitchen; walk up to where she had found him, falls to her knees. She is still holding the photo, holding it to her chest.
    She bows her head and start crying. All the pain, anger and sorrow that have been bottled up for so long just come out, tears falling down her face.

Her whole body starts shaking, and she is swept away, back to that time and place where her whole life changed.

The hour pass as she sits there, the moon rises in the sky. She remembers all that has happened since that dreadful day, and wonders what her life would have been like if he had still been alive.

But there was no way of changing the past.

She slowly gets up of the floor, her face still wet from the tears, but the memories are no longer painful, she can remember the good time they had, remember the joy and laughter, and not only the pain and loss.

She returns to the bedroom, open the jewellery box. It’s all still there, her mothers old jewels. She puts it in her backpack, along with a few photos and trinkets, things she has missed, but not been able to get, not ready to face the memories.

The hallway is dim not that the sun is gone, and she stumbles over some old shoes left there. She presses a button and the door slides open. She turns around, talking one last look, before exiting the apartment, leaving the door unlocked. She knows she will never return there again.

Slowly she walks over the square, up the ramp, leaving the past behind her. But there is one last stop she needs to make, to get closure.

She exits the grid, Tir, how often has she not been here before, but there is one place near that she has avoided fro so long. She walks slowly, her steps are heavy, and it is not easy going there.

The forest lies before her, and with sad steps she enter. It takes a few minuets to reach the place she is looking for. There is a single rock there, with a faded inscription. Her fingers run over the text, she knows what it says by heart.
    She places a single white rose on the rock.
    A hand is placed on her shoulder, she turns her head and kisses the hand.
    She kneels down by the rock, on hand on it to keep her balance.
    “I am sorry I have not come to see you earlier, it has just been to hard.” Her voice is choked by tears. “ I have to come to say goodbye”. “It is time to let you go, you have been avenged, and I have found someone to love”.
    Tears are falling down her face, tears that should have been shed long ago.
    “He is a good, noble and honourable man, I am sure you would have liked him, and I am going to marry him.”
    She bows her head, emotions so strong.
    “I love him, so I have to let you go. I will always remember you.”
    She kisses her fingers and touches the cold rock.

The man behind her helps her up, taking her in his arms, comforting her.
    With his arms around her shoulders slowly they walk away, leaving the past behind them, walking into a future together.
    Rawenna -Proud General of Alpha Omega

"Royal bitch of the Clans"

Member of the CoT clergical staff

The desert air was still, as if it waited in anticipation of what was to come. The sand was still warm after the merciles pounding of Rubi-Ka´s twin suns, and the warmth slowly seeped through his chestplate, giving him a weird feeling of being warm and cold at the same time as he lay there on the top of the dune. He had been at work all day, rigging, fixing and setting up for the last time he visited this area as it was.

He sighed deeply. Letting go was even harder than carrying the pain, he had gotten so used to it over the years. The physical scars, survivors guilt, the pain of losing so many friends, and the woman you loved. He threw the switch on the console infront of him and the button came to life, glowing red.

"This is it my friends. There comes a point in ones life when you have to let go, and move on. I..... I have to let go, of this.........."
    He paused for a minute, contemplating the ruins that were slowly showing their radiation glow now after the suns had set. "I just wanted to say..... Thank you. Thank you for giving me this chance, even though i almost spoiled it. I will always remember you all."

A few minutes of silence passed as the last light of the suns fled the world, only the stars and the moons casting their bleak light across the desert.

"Linda......" His voice caught, his throat feeling like it was caught in a noose. "Linda... I love you, i always have and i will always will. But... i don´t think you would want me to spend the rest of my life... alone and..... I love her Linda, i love her so much. If...." His voice faded to nothing. If the ghosts that haunted this place, and his dreams, could hear him they knew him, and why he had to do this.

Minutes passed again and tears stained the sand as he remebered those that had come here to do right, and how they had payed with their lifes to do so. But it was different now. He remembered how they had been yanked from life, brutaly and with little reason, but he also remembered how they had lived, loved, laughed..... All those things they had given up so that he could have a chance to do the same. But instead he had dug himself an early unmarked grave and expected to fill it at any moment. He thought he had honored their sacrifice, when in reality he had squanderd it.

"Well, no more. I thank you all, i love you all, for the chance you gave me, and i will never forget you. Even if i am gone Rubi-Ka will also remember. A fitting monument, i think most of you would agree. Goodbye, and i hope to see you all on the other side when my time finaly comes."

With grim determination he pushed the button, setting of the timed radio detonations. First a small tactical charge, placed at the very heart of the base it sent up a plume of sand, dust, Plasticrete and metal dozens of meters into the sky. Second, a Thermic charge, blazing the compound in the heat of a sun, melting metal, liquifing Plasticrete and turning the desert sand into molten glass. Third, a Freon3x charge, drawing all heat out of the area once more, leaving it as cold as the backside of the moon.

With a content sigh he rose and flicked the last switch on the console, deactivating the small stasis field and finaly self-destructing the console. With a last look at the 15 meter pillar of glass, metal and dust he had created he turned away and walked towards the furture for the first time in years, a future that held so many promisses.

Down by the pillar the stasis field unraveled, reavelaing a bronze plaquet.

'In memory of all those who braved death and payed the ultimate price to come to the aid of friends, family and allies across the boundarys of faction.

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
    This day shall gentle his condition:
    And gentlemen in England now a-bed
    Shall think themselves accursed they were not here,
    And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
    That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day."

In deepest gratitude and remembrance.'
    Thou Shalt Kill."