Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Engelens MA Guide

I must say that im impressed, i have been playing Adv seens i first started playing AO, i have never thought about any other toon, but me and a friend decided to get new ones and i started a MA.
    I was looking in forum after a guide how to build them, when i find this guide

what can i say!!!

im speechless!!

thank you for a great guide

// Morifade
    Lvl 212/11 melee adventure
    General of Assult Department
    Omni-Pol.

Thanks for the nice words, it always warms me seeing someone finding it useful But of course, it could never have been made without the assistance and contributions of all the great MA's on this forum, for whom I'm grateful to
    I'm a runaway train on a broken track,
    I'm a ticker on a bomb that you can't turn back this time,
    that's right, I got away with it all and I'm still alive

Part 8: FAQ & Links

FAQ and Links

Frequently Asked Questions(FAQ)
    Seeing many questions being asked several times, I decided to try to gather some of the most common ones, and give a correct answer, as updated as possible. If you have suggestions about questions, I will be happy to add them

1: Does Parry and/or Riposte work?
    As it is now, live version 15.8, Parry and Riposte does not work. There have been various attempts to fix it, but none has been working very well, so until Funcom can find a good way to use these two skills, the only thing they are good for are
    using MA Special Attacks(Upon a Wave of Summer requires Riposte and Flower of Life requires Parry) and equipping some items.

2: Careful in Battle or Disharmony?
    This is a hard question. There are no concrete answers to it, since its all up to what you prefer. However, as a general rule, if your primary focus is PvM, you should go with a maxed Disharmony, and if your primary focus is PvP, you should go with Careful in Battle. The reason for this, is that Careful in Battle helps far more in PvP than Disharmony does, since Disharmony adds another attack which triggers dual reflect shields against you, making it harder and more risky going up
    against Shield Professions which suddenly will cause you to harm yourself twice as much as normal when hitting. For PvM, Disharmony is better, as it adds a great deal of extra damage and it adds a chance for lifedrain when you attack.

3: Why does my damage suck compared to others on low level?
    Unlike other professions, MA`s cannot Over Equip their weapon. Our skill relates directly to the QL of our weapon, so whatever MA skill you have, decides the Damage, Crit and Speed. On lower levels, you are stuck using a weapon that is based on your current skill, unlike weapon professions which can get a wrangle, equip a higher weapon and be "ahead" of their level. In the beginning, MA`s will often fall behind because of this, when other professions can equip QL150 Weapons at level 60, but you are using the fists based on your skill. Don`t worry though, this turns around once you pass mid levels and start nearing high levels, when other professions are being stuck with their weapons for a long time and your skill continues to grow with each level, until you have among the best damage of any profession if you play right.

4: How Can I be more effective?
    There are several things you can do to increase your damage. Many have accused MA`s for being a "Press Q and sleep" profession, but that is as far from the truth as it can be.

The first rule is to be active, and know your enemy. Learn what damage type is effective against the mob you are fighting. Learn what skills it use against you and what you can do to prevent it. Use Temporary damage Buffs as often as you can. Use MA Special Attacks, Flurry of blows, equipment that adds to damage.

Time healing and perks to make sure you live longer, don`t use every single special you have when they are not needed, save them for when you need it. Its not wise to use Acrobat when you dont have aggro, then activate Flurry, get aggro and having to wait while Acrobat recharges while you have aggro. Instead, as long as Aggro is on someone else, let Acrobat be ready, and use Flurry. Once you get aggro, activate Acrobat.

In teams, unless you are intent on getting highest damage of all on the team, Save Instant Aggro Specials like Dimach until a weak profession gets damage or add, and nobody can calm. That way you can easily pull the add`s attention to you instead of the weaker ones. I can`t even count how many times I`ve saved lower level players who have managed to get aggro, by using a heal+Dimach+Brawl+Flurry+UaWoS(to slow the mob down so that the weak can escape easier). ALWAYS think about your team mates before your own damage! Its not a race. Teamwork > Damage Lists.

Great Links!

Tubarolean`s Tier 1 Guide
    Tubarolean`s guide about how to make Tier 1 Armor

Breaku`s guide to equipping Chosen/Faithful Pants as a 160 Solitus
    Great guide by Breaku about how to twink into Chosen/Faithful Pants as a Solitus on level 160!

Violax`s Symbiant Comparison
    A Fast and Easy way to check the difference between Infantry and Support Symbiants by Violax

Phoenix`s great PvP Guide!
    Check this if you are unsure about the PvP Aspect of Martial Artists!

Mistre`s awesome guide to Damage Type Effectiveness against Uniques!
    This is a must-know guide, everyone should read this to be prepared against Unique Mobs.

Sabotage`s Guide on PvM Bow Hotswapping
    Read this if you want to master the art of hotswapping bows!

Unique Mobs and their loot
    Probably one of the most helpful guides ever! Read this if you want to know what a boss drops!

Snowglobe`s AO Terminology List
    Ever wanted to know what a word or a short meant? Look no further.

External Sites

Chronita`s Martial Artist Compendium
    Chronita`s Martial Artist Compendium
    The Best source for detailed MA Information. Slightly outdated, but Chronita left a bible for every Martial Artist to come, be sure to keep this close at hand at all times.

AO Vault`s AO Guides
    AO Vault has the biggest collection of guides of any AO Page. If you are looking for a guide, you will most likely find it here.
    Guides covering Basic Anarchy Online - Without

Shadowlands

Guides covering Shadowlands
    Guides covering Alien Invasion

Anarchy Arcanum
    Known for their very userfriendly and funny guides, Anarchy Arcanum has been one of the most popular AO Pages ever. They don`t update much anymore, but their guides are the best there is.
    Anarchy Arcanum`s Main Page

AO Databases
    AO would never have been the same without these two Database Pages. Thanks to Jayde and Auno and their never ending hard work to supply the community with the latest changes and additions to the huge database, every AO player know where to go when he need the info on an item in the game.
    (Note: Items in the Database may not always be ingame, so don`t ask Funcom about items in the Database)
    AODB and AUNO - Bookmark them!

Travel To Rubi-Ka
    The Best map in the game. Thanks to Nepentheia, No AO player is EVER lost on Rubi-Ka!
    Download the Huge AO Map at Travel To Rubi-Ka, or just look at it online!

The Shadowlands Library
    When you are admiring your brand new fat loot, or finally getting your hands on that Sanctuary Key, you should stop up a minute and thank Herodotus. The Shadowlands Library was and is the prime source of Shadowlands Knowledge. It was the first and the best, and we all owe it to Herodotus. Without him and his forum, we would not be where we are today.
    The Shadowlands Library
    Last edited by Engelen; Jan 17th, 2006 at 17:55:49.

Wanted to recommend using jealousy augmented agression enhancers for tanking and add control, as it makes those two jobs much easier and in the second case allows you to switch to main target quicker.

Good Point, I'll add it to the two roles Thanks for reminding me about them.

Holy crap! Amazing guide engelen, I've actually missed a few thing from totw for my ma i forgot about after reading this, DOH! Anyway, props to ya and all the data and the other great people who have added their bits to it ^^.
    Miceckia-220/30 Keeper
    Tekdeath-1-199/22 Martial artist

Originally Posted by Snowbunnie
    Roleplaying is what you do when the sex in your marriage isnt going too good.

The Ninj00 Theorem: The one thing you have to know about high level raidbots , point systems , and camping is this; We'll never know I guess because timelapse nerfed my sig

signature over 10 lines [again], shortened by timelapse ;p

4: Use "Orange Moon Glyph of Roch" on "Red Glyph of Aban" to make "Glyph 3"
    5: Use "Glyph 3" on Tier 1 Armor Piece.
    Isn't it glyph of the sixth?
    http://aomainframe.info/showitem.aspx?AOID=227748

Quote Originally Posted by Eisen
    I didn't have the glyph infront of me when I made the guide, so any corrections to that part would be welcome (and T2 Glyphs doesn't grow on trees )

Celebrating 100.000 Views!

Look forward to more updates, and I'm gonna finally try to dive into the more advanced part about MA's and work on updating the look and layout of it to make it better.

Thanks to all of you who have read and found my guide useful and contacted me about it, I appreciate it so much, keep it coming with those contributions, corrections, questions and feeback and I'll do my best to keep it as updated and fresh as possible. Without you guys, this would have not been possible

A cool idea would maybe to make a website and have all the guides posted for all the different profs ^^. Unfortunately I can't do it myself as I don't have the skills with doing websites :/.
    Miceckia-220/30 Keeper
    Tekdeath-1-199/22 Martial artist

Originally Posted by Snowbunnie
    Roleplaying is what you do when the sex in your marriage isnt going too good.

The Ninj00 Theorem: The one thing you have to know about high level raidbots , point systems , and camping is this; We'll never know I guess because timelapse nerfed my sig

signature over 10 lines [again], shortened by timelapse ;p

Lightbulb Spiritual Master and Kung Fu Master perklines

First of all: Excellent guide! One of the better prof-guides on this forum, no doubt! And here I go in an attempt to further aid in creating and playing a MA:

Don't know if this has been said before in this thread, but I think it's important to add some information regarding those two perklines, or more specific: How they rely on eachother, or more specific how the specials you get when you train these two lines are dependent on eachother.
    The last two specials you get from the Spiritual Master perkline (at the 9th and 10th point spent), Flesh Quiver and Obliterate, need the special Tremor Hand from the Kung Fu Master perkline to be running.
    Since you're unlikely to find yourself in a team with two MA's it might be wise to put points in both of the mentioned perklines. The specials from SM is quite excellent and Kung Fu Master is only five points, and you only need to put three in the perkline to gain the Tremor Hand special.

I agree, I havent gotten to that point yet. I'm going to work on it, along with items and the battle effeciency as a part of the how to play part, but I haven't had all that much time lately, but it will come. Thanks for reminding me about that part, it will sure be nice to have it written down, as the combination of perks really makes a difference

Keep up the Good Work.. you and Chronita are the reason my Main and many others are MA. You guys paved a smooth road for us)
    If you love something set it free, if it does not come back, Hunt it down and Kill It.

It's nice to be able to do some good for this excellent guide. This is something of a bible to me, this and Chronita's work ofcourse!
    Keep up the good work Engelen, you've helped many MA's already, both new and experienced!

This is a very good guide and I've been reading it while I level my MA which is now at 75. The only problem I really have is the fact that you list very few low level armors besides the three from Rubi-ka that require you to get drops and give them to someone else to make them for you. Are there not any armors up to level 100 that I could buy in a shop that are good, or that I could get a drop off a monster from? I have Shadowlands and all, and I just got to Elysium last night for the first time. I have a ql 60 something body piece and the lowest is a ql 44 boots. All my armor is the black MA suit. I really need some suggestions for armor before the Jobe armor.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukki
    This is a very good guide and I've been reading it while I level my MA which is now at 75. The only problem I really have is the fact that you list very few low level armors besides the three from Rubi-ka that require you to get drops and give them to someone else to make them for you. Are there not any armors up to level 100 that I could buy in a shop that are good, or that I could get a drop off a monster from? I have Shadowlands and all, and I just got to Elysium last night for the first time. I have a ql 60 something body piece and the lowest is a ql 44 boots. All my armor is the black MA suit. I really need some suggestions for armor before the Jobe armor.
    Predator armor is great, only req is 300 sense, each bit adds to evades, circlet adds to crit (omg <3) and they have many other nice mods. Also you could try buying from other players, or camping dynas/team mish bosses for servants of eight armor, which has a lot of great bonuses, i'm pretty sure these have been mentioned in the guide though...
    Vulnus/Wiffwaff

previously Sczvit/Vits/Looks/Bishslap

Ok, to start off with...Engelen, great job on the guide...you've obviously put in hours upon hours of work to accomplish this. Thanks to all the people that posted followups. Remembering back to my n00b days, i've lost count of the times that I referred to this guide as my holy book
    One point though...and this isn't only directed at the main guide. Everyone uses abbreviations, which is fine...EXCEPT...how do you expect n00b's to know what you are talking about??

VTE's
    BwT
    FFoK
    MoP
    etc...etc

I know us MA's are a clever bunch, but Psychic as well??
    Spare a thought for the n00b's

what to say? i think everthing was said about this guide, i just wanna thanks Engelen and all the guys that helped her do this.

when i was a little MA this helped me a lot. well... and still helps eheh Keep the good work
    The Mirimo Sin 219/20 Martial Artist
    Last Eruslavuro Sin 218/18 Agent
    Gnak Mirime Empress 165/12 Fixer

I also want to add a "Thank you" and a big hug to Engelen for this amazing guide!! It has helped me make my former mediocre MA to a decent (but still not awesome -as it requires more dedication, played time and whatnot) MA.

Being the highest lvl MA in our little org, the new MA's of the org tends to turn to me for advice. I ALWAYS, with no exeptions, tell them to read this guide, and read it well. If they still have questions about being MA they then can ask me, but my answers will mostly just be clarifyings and my interpretations of the AWESOME info on this guyide and Chronitas guide.

I guess this has been mentioned on lots of forum threads and also covered here, but I want to share my experience with agg/def bar adjustments and DoF/limber in soloing mobs, as it isn't explained in full details here. I find it wery usefull to adjust the agg/def bar when switching from DoF to limber and back.

AS the bar only adjusts when a new attack is started I adjust the bar a bit before the perk special (either DoF or Limber) is running out. Then as it runs I start the new perk special, hit Q twice to stop and start attack again, and that way I survive trough the Limber period on full or almost full def, and can hit the mob with optimal attackrate when DoF is running.
    - Faith is in the eye of the beholder -
    Hangfaced, JVC, RK2
    Bargi on other Funcom forums

FotD

After spending ages camping my Fist of the Dominator, it dropped not from one of the 3 central bosses (Inobak, Hezak, or Dominus Jiannu), but from one of the 2 remaining Dominuses (I believe they're called Dominus Facut the Bloodless and Dominus Ummoth the Pedagogue). I am not sure which of the two of these is which (as in, is the left one the pedagogue, or the bloodless), but the left boss did drop the implant. I suppose this means the right one has a chance of dropping it too, but I can't confirm it. In any case, add this to an already outstanding guide.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast