Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: >> A new way to gain XP <<

Cool Damn nice idea

Yeah, grrreat idea!
    gettin' tired of killing monsters for XP.
    puttin' imps together, lockpicking, aso. don't give u the same amount as a killing-spre does.

And i think everyone want to explore more, but can't/don't have time, because it's much more important to collect money or level up.

But, seriously, i don't think FunCom will ever implement this to AO...

/-=NeK=-\

A good idea,

This is something that this game needs so desperatly, something else to do exept kill.

Bump Bump.

Traders!

I haven't heard very much about traders in this post. We were supposed to be like the original dudes that didn't get xp by killing ;p We should be able to open shops, like in UO. And have real estate, like we could find a quaint spot in Newland desert and put our shack there that sells our monster parts and robot parts.

hmmph

There could be some sort of electronic blueprint items for soldiers, enforcers and the like so they can design the choice weapon ... they would get some exp from that, and can use their judgement or whatever to design it. Then they can pass that item onto a trader or engineer, who will find the parts and assemble it. Some sort of knowledge property type system would prevent the trader/engineer from selling the enforcers design, or the enforcer's design could get an automatic royalty everytime one's sold. There could be geat lvl 200 soldiers who designed the greatest gun of the time and became billionaires to retire in Rome ;p /me thinks this would be uber ;p

uh huh

The blueprint system could have things like the gun's looks, they type of damage, its speed, whatever.. if you want it to be faster or slower, the damage would be greater, have a higher crit.. whatever, and you could choose the size, look etc. And in order to stop people from making the ultimate guns that kill anything in 1 hit, they would automatically decrease the damage if you increase the speed, whatever. And you could choose the type of weapon: this would have its own set of looks you can choose, own set of sizes, and you could maybe even mix and match the looks of several different guns

Arrow reall life 'Links,' 'Bau', etc.

In this way, there could be reallife Baus, Waitts, Links, Ravens, Sids, etc. who were geniuses in designing guns or armor, instead of just in the descriptions of our favorite armour.

traders exp

Since traders are supposed to be, uh, traders, we should get exp for making sales. It could be dependent upon the amount of money received, as well as the quality of the stuff being sold. Like, if you're selling something for more than you could buy it in shops, you get a lot of exp. Of course this could lead to mass exploiting, but there would have to be some sort of security feature, wouldn't there?

Re: traders exp

Originally posted by Gil-the-Arm
    Since traders are supposed to be, uh, traders, we should get exp for making sales.
    OK, but as an Enforcer I want double XPs for killing stuff.
    "Donner à des millions une connaissance de l'anglais, c'est les rendre esclaves". (Hind Swarâj, ch. 18)

this is an EXCELLENT thread. as a lvl 41 doc, i'm always looking for ways to create xp while my guild members are away. i saw the link on ao basher and decided to have a look....i hope the people at funcom are as well. i've always thought that docs should receive a small xp gain when healing...it is their job after all. and the adventuring idea? awesome. i know i would travel the world of rubi ka alot more thoroughly if there were some sort of benefit. i also like what gil-the-arm was saying. i can see lower level shops popping up around rhinoman scout camp and rhinoman valley and higher level shops deep in varmint woods next to highly rolled dungeons. no more sitting on the tents in tir or bronto burger in omni entertainment to sell things. you could develop a buyer/seller relationship with one person. if the player owning the store was able to effectively role play the part of the merchant, he would ultimately profit as players would continue to come back to his store. if a merchant was known to have outstanding deals but was not in his store too often, players would camp his shop or swarm him when he walked the streets or RubiKa. you could develop a celebrity type atmosphere in rubika " o look there goes anrakushi, the mad medic who has the finest medipaks available!" it would just allow all of us to become even further immersed in a game that at the moment is about three inches deep.

I love these ideas. The fundamental success of the mmorpg genre is based on the vicious cycle of the reward system. We level to get better loot. We get better loot to fight better. We fight better to level.

There are many other repetitive functions besides just killing that could be rewarded whether its experience, or even if it's just a title, ribbon, or badge.

Everyone has a different way of living their life on Rubi-ka. It sure would be nice to be amply rewarded for something other than uber-killing.

Lightbulb More ideas =)

Great news for an adventurer!
    Auto mapping tools sounds like a nice idea, make the automapper tool have moderate map nav reqs, higher ql needed for the anarchy zones of course. That way I could create my own map of Stret east bank to guide my team members, without need for the insane map reqs.

Would love to get xp from checking out a new zone.

Trophy xp:
    Take a mission to bring back the head of an old goofle or such, gain xp for first kill of a new breed. This should make checking out new hunting zones more attractive.
    Gain less xp for repetitive kills of the same kind? Should i spend 24/7 killing shades or whatever?
    Bring back ql 75 pelted monster parts mission?

Traders:
    Let them have a tent/shop they can erect in certain areas. Let them not crowd around the grid post plz =). Imagine traders going up early to get a good spot in the city square.

How about a "remote trade" nano for traders? allowing them to close a deal and open a trade window straight from the trade/chat channels?

/trade mrmonkey or such.

A few new ideas, not all good perhaps =)

//Shaeidar - lvl 66 adv of Bureau 42

to get XP or not to get XP that is the question

In my opinion a better way to implement "exploration xp" would be to provide a mapping tool and crystals similar to some of the other skills. When you load a crystal into the mapping device you are given a mission to "find the localcalized terrain data access terminal". The mission will have a short duration of maybe 30min to 1 hour. The mapping device will not work for an area you already have a map for and during the "mission" time you cannot leave the zone or the mission ends. Once you use your mapping device on the terminal it returns a crystal of mapping data which you can then use again on the mapping to to get another "mission" , and so on until you have "filled" the crystal. if you really wanted to be a bastard and force them to walk it... you could make the mapping tool once used take the vehicle slot and once a crystal is loaded be "locked" for 30 minutes or until you zone. That way they would have to sit in the zone no matter how fast they could move for at least 30 min before they could use the data terminal to get the filled data crystal. When done you would get a map crystal with very low navigation requirements. When you complete each "mission" a xp reward will be given.
    -Entropy:
    The only game you cannot win...

/trade

would be very sweet.

shaeiders

I really like shaeider's idea for traders. A remote trade nano would be uber ;D and the ql of the nano could determine the distance, or something... and some could trade just items, others just money, high lvl ones both?

I also remember reading something about an underground network for fixers.. this could be similiar

i just wish FC is reading this thread and will implement some of those amazing ideas as most of the players realize that just killing mobs, get xp, get loot, lvl up, bigger mobs, nicer loot, nicer xp, lvl up,etc.. is quite boring after some time. We want other way to gain xp & items and other objectives than kills (do u fell involved by the story between OT/clan ???)

I just loved the possibility to build my own maps and resell them !!! i'll reroll an advent named Sir Richard Burton
    That's idea is just terrific !!! (build map, not my new nickname...)

Map nav will allow u to use these auto-mapper (the better the QL, the less time u have to stay in the area) cross all the areas of a zone to fullfill information : It could be a sub-division of square based on coord (square of 100*100 for instance...). U can check on a little array all the squares u ve already visited. Then, once the array is full, u can transfer the information in an empty crystal (or u charge first a crystal, and u can swap incomplete crystal) and u get a nice map cystal (with lower req than shop of course!!)
    -Marssss
    RK1 Agent
    RollerRat Diplomatic representative (www.rollerrat.com)
    "i come in peace"

Thumbs up Way to go !

Originally posted by Marssss
    i just wish FC is reading this thread and will implement some of those amazing ideas ...
    Well don't worry I'm sure they are reading this thread.

I feel that it's very important to consolidate it with new ideas, that are or are not specific to a given profession.

All online game are using the same mechanic today. This can be tweaked a bit now. We have the luck of having the eyes of the Dev team and from time to time their full attention.

I'm sure we'd be happy to have some interactive discussion with Cz of FC Devs here.

Clearly we are going off-limits on a lot of things in this thread, but it's rather ok. If we see 10% of one or two ideas going live, it would be something really tremendous.

So keep going.
    "Donner à des millions une connaissance de l'anglais, c'est les rendre esclaves". (Hind Swarâj, ch. 18)

Originally posted by Marssss
    I just loved the possibility to build my own maps and resell them !!! i'll reroll an advent named Sir Richard Burton
    Only if you can add your own notes on the map. I mean instead of having spoilers sites, I'd rather buy your maps indicating spawn points, dangerous zones, spots where you can be zone / grid camped, etc ... all that because I know you and that you are a famous mapper.

3 pages of posts and no whines. flames and trolls!

Dev team should take notice just because this has such a positive response.

I love the idea of a trade nano, tent, or macro. That would be very cool indeed. Maybe have particular places outside of the cities or in mission like zones where these things can be used, like a farmers market or bazaar. Maybe have shop computers at these locatios where a few items can be placed for sale by players(for a price, player interaction should be rewarded more, this game is antisocial as it is)

Exploration could reward us in other ways, like say items that can only be found/made by searching Rubi'ka. Kinda like rares were in UO, a symbol of greatness that imbalances nothing (like the obscene rarity of the new nano crystals) yet adds more depth to the game play.

Unfortunately...
    I do remember back in early development it being stated that killing was going to be the main way to gain xp because tradeskills and the like are too easily macroable. IMHO the absurd cost and rarity of trade items kinda negates that possiblity. I'd like to have a character I can just chill with (like a blacksmith at the forge in UO) and still be a viable tradesman but I have a feeling that they want to slow down people from leveling and not increase it because once people are getting up higher they are getting bored.

All the more reason to add more depth and content to this game! We need more to do then just kill, regardless of whether it garners us xps. AO was suppose to be a groundbreaking 2nd generation MMORPG but its only another level treadmill like EQ.
    Last edited by Xen; Dec 14th, 2001 at 08:37:09.

I have mixed feelings for items as exploration rewards : if they are very rare in each specific zones you won't see a low level taking the challenge to zone into Mort. If they are common they won't be interseting. Then people could sell them too, maybe for insane amount of cash and this can be quite. Making these items no drop is IMHO always a bad idea ...

I guess I'll stick to a small xp boost = stay 5 min in Mort for the first time and get a whooping 2.000 XP. At level 5 you'll be happy to try that experience.

Run in the whole zone and you'll get a Mort Map Blueprint that will unlock the ability to make a trade skill map. I guess that you'll need at least the same skills as the one needed to upload a regular Mort map.

Of course you cannot explore from a Yalm : you cannot drive a plane and make topological studies at the same time. Makes sense and the bonus is : more power to the professions that sneak and / or run fast.

As for macroing tradeskills I'd like to see some macroing of shoping / looting for tradeskills items parts. And even when you have full stacks of them ready to be used, the only scripting that we can do is about /em or chat. Am I missing something ?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast