Thread: Mysterious Fog in Borealis, NLC, elsewhere reported (Rimor)

Mysterious Fog in Borealis, NLC, elsewhere reported (Rimor)

Attention all: just a few hours ago several towns were enveloped by a deep, nearly inpenetrable fog. This fog was witnessed firsthand by myself and many others in Borealis, in Newland City, and also in Old Athens I believe (by the time I got there, I might have been a bit delirious, so confirmation is requested). I checked out Omni Trade and Galway and there was no fog to be seen. Nor did ICC seem to be affected.

The fog was incredibly dense. I could not see anything or anyone in front of me. Most of the citizens in town were thrown into a panic. Some people brought out night-vision goggles which they say helped more than the floating torches.

Unfortunately, we didn't need anymore light.

In the midst of this deep fog, there was a bright flash that ripped across and throughout the town. It seemed we could all feel the nanobots charging... into our systems...

Moments later, the fog lifted... like it was never there. But we started to feel the change almost immediately. It started with a slight cough, then chills and a dizziness. I witnessed Belle2 and Rockjock displaying the symptoms of this virus. Many other people fell ill as well.

As this general malaise enveloped us as completely as the fog had moments before, ICC Peacekeepers Dorson and Evantor were seen walking towards us from the direction of the grid. They were accompanied by Biologiest Doctorwynd and Virologist Kenatha. They had heard the reports and were apparently dispatched to Borealis immediately.

They gather what information they could from the chaotic crowd that had gathered. Several people fell more seriously ill. ICC Peacekeeper Evantor began vomiting quite profusely during his questioning. I am sad to report that the virus did take the life of ICC Peacekeeper Evantor. There was nothing we could do.

The Doctor passed out an experimental Revitalizing Serum to any and all people present. Taking this serum seemed to provide some respite from the chills of the fog. I do not know how long it will last or how much it will help. Most of us dispatched warnings to our org mates and friends to stay awake. Alas, our friends came to help us and some fell ill as well...

Jajangmyun stops her typing suddenly and presses her palm to her forehead. "I must get the news out. Others must know what has happened. Communication is our key." She feels a chill run through her body. She raises an unsteady hand back to the comm port and continues to tap out her message.

Doctorwynd and Kenatha dispensed what aid they could. They took blood samples and vital signs from most of us and told us to contact them should anything else come up.

Rockjock, of The Seraphim Cleric, succumbed to the virus and died as well. Sadly, his newlywed wife, Justhealin, appeared moments too late to be there for him. I do not know what his situation is. I can only hope that it is not... permanent. There were others, I could not keep track of all their names. I do not know which of them were able to be reclaimed.

She tries to take a deep breath, but the air rasps harshly against her throat and sends her into a brief coughing fit... "I don't know what else to write. I hope this makes it out. Someone must know more. Moondoctor called for Juri... Why do I know that name? I've heard it somewhere..."

...I'm sorry if this report is coming out all muddled... Doctorwynd's status report on me is not favorable either. If anyone else can confirm this fog and any accompanying details surrounding it. please come fo--

A knock on her Borealis apartment door stops her midsentence. She quickly hits the transmit button and shuts her comm port off.

((ooc: haha, be gentle. it's my first IC post!))
    Udon (doctor), Koyangi (trader), Jajangmyun (adventurer) of Shattered Dreams of Rimor. [website]

(now in order of play/activity! along with some other lowbie alts.)

Unhappy

Unfortunantly, it would appear Rockjock, has died. He has failed to respawn. This is a sad day not only for the Clerics, but for his wife, Justhealin, as well, our hearts go out to her in this time of great dispaer.. It would appear that all who fell ill to this virus may suffer the same fate!

This is a plee to anyone who knows anything about the Insurance system, we need help, there must be a way to get Rockjock back!! I am asking any and all who can help please do! The Seraphim Clerics are asking for help, we must get Rock back!!

I am so sorry for you at the Cleric and for Justy. I do hope that he can be reclaimed somehow. I don't understand the workings of this virus myself. I have heard rumors that the illness can be arrested within the body through passage into the grid. I have not yet tried this myself, but I will attempt this tonight before the virus gets too serious in me, too. As I had moved from city to city to check the status of the fog, I think I may have been spared the worse of it. I know that Rockjock and Belle were both in Borealis from the very beginning until the end. I think Borealis may have been the hardest hit... Has anyone heard from Belle? Is she alright?
    Udon (doctor), Koyangi (trader), Jajangmyun (adventurer) of Shattered Dreams of Rimor. [website]

Medical Research Protocol, 29477-10-23 12:30
    Protocol author: Ymlisai
    Detachment: Omni-Tek Medical Academy, subdivision Sisters of Mercy.

Case: #42300-1A
    Codename: <name unknown>

This is an investigative research, conducted in the event of confirmed contamination in following locations:
    - Borealis
    - Newland

Unconfirmed locations:
    - Old Athen

Confirmed signs of contaminated hosts:
    - Heat / Cold sensitive
    - Coughing
    - Dissyness
    - Womiting
    - Fainting
    - Fever

Contamination danger: High, code RED

Treatment info:
    There appears to be no cure for this virus as of this writing.
    However, several isotopes, medications and nano-bot programs seems to have a certain effect on the virus, in terms of slowing it down from the normal 15-30 minute contamination time. Successful tests have shown an reduced activity of nearly 34.54%, which results in a prolonged contamniation time of 19-40 minutes.

It appears that this virus is dependant on a host to survive, as the decay rate of the virus's DNA, without a host to multiply in, is decaying with a rate of 43% each hour, 62% each hour if exposured to notumcarbondioksyd.
    This gives an impression that this virus was not designed on Rubi-Ka itself, as the notum seems to be working as a natural toxin against this virus.

However, it does not seem to help once the virus finds a host.
    Once a host is found, it multiplies with a rate of (2xsin 5x).
    This gives a time of 15 to 30 minutes, depending on breed.

Other tests, conducted by other instances, shows that the virus is put in a dormant state, if the host is rendered through a DNA sequence, as by most known as entering the grid.
    Once the host is digitalized, it seems that the virus can no longer function, as it is transformed into bits and bytes, as well as it's host.

Therefore, should you happen to be infected by this virus, or you fear that you have been, please locate the closest grid terminal and enter the grid. Once there, try to contact authorised medicine personell as soon as possible.

Log end
    Ymlisai of the Omni-Tek Medical Academy's Sisters of Mercy project.

Talking

Some good news has come of this, however! Thanks to the expertice of the leader of the Seraphim Clerics, AethelWolf, Rockjock has been revived! AethelWolf isolated his pattern in the Insurance Terminal, and stabilized it enough so that Rockjock returned! There was much rejoicing and celibrating in Boriallis when Rockjock respawned!!

I bet you a months combat pay that this is the same thing that the Dust Brigade has hit Itel, Falikos and the wedding between Quickstart and Fleat with. It´s ansty, and is often lethal on first contact. If you see any kind of fog banks, stay away from them just to be sure. As far as i know the damn thing has been the cause of at least three cases of permanent death.

Also, i have several confirmed cases where this Plague has gone through sealed armors, even Battlesuit.

You can also put up another confirmed sign of infection. Coughing blood. This seems to be a rare one though.

As before.

Stay Vigilant.
    Stay Safe.
    Report all Sightings.
    "On the frontlines, there is but one commandment...
    Thou Shalt Kill."

"As i stride knee deep through the dead, all is clear. I know what must be done...
    My cause is just...My will is strong...
    ...And my gun is very, very large!"
    The words of a true soldier.

Originally posted by Xhairs
    Also, i have several confirmed cases where this Plague has gone through sealed armors, even Battlesuit.
    I know it's probably in quarantine if it's not been destroyed, but would it be possible to have someone qualified check out the battlesuit in question? Those things are supposed to be hermetically sealed, but then the chassis that they're based on wasn't really designed for combat. Enough solid hits and you'll often spring a seal or two on them.

If this happens you're unlikely to feel it and it's usually not enough to give you good contact with your nanobot cloud. Since biochem weapons have thankfully been rare on Rubi-Ka up until now, most people never notice that their battlesuit isn't the perfect hermetic environment it's supposed to be.

I wouldn't be surprised if the suit in question is an old one and has a few problems with its seals - in fact I'd be very relieved. If this thing, whatever it is, is really capable of getting through an intact battlesuit then there may be no conventional defence against it. Possibly the right sort of forcefield might do the trick, but standard nano formulas produce a field that looks for high energy densities and reacts accordingly. This thing's drifting on the wind, so a standard field probably won't interdict it.

There are a few examples of sterile fields though. The most notable is the medical backpack, which maintains an internally sterile environment. You wouldn't want to live inside a field like that for long though, it'd eventually kill you. It's possible though that something could be rigged up for emergency workers using the medical pack as a starting point, as long as it can be taught to discriminate between its wearer and a hostile pathogen.

I'll work on that and see what I can come up with. In the meantime though it would help immensely if someone could identify the actual pathogen. I'm no qualified to work with that sort of stuff though, and wouldn't know how to handle it.

By the by, has anyone tried using the Fixer grid phase nanos as an interim first-aid solution?

Glad to hear Rockjock made it back.

Cheers,

Soy.

Originally posted by DarkRaven033
    Some good news has come of this, however! Thanks to the expertice of the leader of the Seraphim Clerics, AethelWolf, Rockjock has been revived! AethelWolf isolated his pattern in the Insurance Terminal, and stabilized it enough so that Rockjock returned! There was much rejoicing and celibrating in Boriallis when Rockjock respawned!!
    Thank the notum that Rockjock has been respawned.

I'm still spending most of my time in the grid per my doctor's orders. It's awfully blue in here...

***Request for Information***
    If you can confirm or deny rumors of this mysterious fog appearing in any other city or town other than Borealis or Newland City, please leave me a message as soon as possible ((after the beep.. er, post)).

Thank you all.

Safe travels.

- Jaja

I think I may have a proof of concept for the protective sterile field working. I don't know how effective it'll be (if it works at all), but at least it doesn't give me a rash just from standing near it now. The whole thing's a total lash-up at the moment, but that can be tidied up later.

It's been a long night... [yawn]

Cheers,

Soy.