Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Desperate Act

The Desperate Act

Clon****, the massive wound of Rubi-ka, the facillity stretches almost as far as the eye can see. The band of well armed Nanomages, and a few Atrox don't linger long at the grid. With swiftness of purpose they head for the gates of the notum export facillity. The initial guards are incapacitated quickly. The facillity is heavily armed and the days warning of an iminent attack seems to have increased the guards alert status. The band of Nanomage Liberationists are confronted inside the first parimiter by a troop of Omni-Pol Supreme officers. The battle is fierce, but fast, casualties on both sides but the Nanomage Liberationists break through.

Aazamon heads strait to the central Notum Cannon with Kalithyzia and Xelun, carrying a large chest between them. The rest of the Liberationists establish a perimiter to let the NLF leader do his work. The Thermonuclear device is too dangerous to transport fully functional, it is a crude model but effective. Aazamon quickly unpacks the chest and sets to making the bomb before any reinforcements arrive.

The first warnings come from Woodwin and Lydadoc, the Omni-Mining forces arrive on the scene fast, outnumbering the Liberationists. Woodwin and Lydadoc try desperately to delay the Omni-mining personell to give Aazamon time to work, while Ramiyana and Zargin attempt to lead another group of reinforcemnts away. It quickly becomes appearant that the liberationists are far outnumbered as a few get captured, and others chased away, leaving enough Omni-mining personell to search for the main threat.

"god damned device!" Aazamon is quickly loosing patience putting the device together, one of the pieces in the crate seems to have a bent connection, and he's running out of time. Warnings blaring on his comm channel, sounds of battle tell him that he's has to get this done now or it's all for not.

Just then an Atrox and Solitus clad in full Omni armor turn the corner and spot the Liberationist bombers. "Halt!" one of them screams. Aazamon knowing that it's all over now yells for an evac, his troops are scattered and Omni-Mining is moving in, it's better to get away than be captured on top of failing the mission.

Kalithyzia is quick to act, she evacuates the bomb team to the grid immediatly. Aazamon's NCU is blaring a warning, "oh crap" the liquid explosive charge is unstable! Aazamon heads for the emergency grid exit....

"Arghhhh" Aazamon's comlink goes dead........
    Aazamon General of the Nanomage Liberation Front

28973 The first Homo Nano is born in an Omni-Tek laboratory. The inclusion of trace notum into the DNA sequencing of Nano foetuses means that this breed is able to live only on Rubi-Ka.

Until all are free!

We are recruiting

The Nanomage Liberation Front

Having your Nanobots scattered so far can have dire effects on your insurance reclaim time. Not to mention give you one hell of a headache. The effects of the raid on Omni-Mining's notum export facillity are still unclear, most of the liberationists escaped but General Ramiyana isn't well. It seems something went wrong when he was temporarily captured.

If there is one thing I've learned though, my pity for others has cost Rubi-ka her freedom. I should never have sent out that warning, next time will be different.

28973 The first Homo Nano is born in an Omni-Tek laboratory. The inclusion of trace notum into the DNA sequencing of Nano foetuses means that this breed is able to live only on Rubi-Ka.

Until all are free!

We are recruiting

Damn.. it wasnt Omni-Pol that hindered you. It was Omni-Mining. How embarassing.
    Director "Meister"
    President, Omni-Pol
    Level 207 Omni-Tek Dictator
    Meister's Reinforced Suit - Bureaucrats may be gimps, but at least we know how to look good.
    Account Created: 2001-06-27 23:07:32

Originally posted by Aazamon
    If there is one thing I've learned though, my pity for others has cost Rubi-ka her freedom. I should never have sent out that warning, next time will be different.
    Uhm, hellooooo... Ya send a warning, and ya expect us to kindly and sheepishly evacuate the facilities *without* even attempting at saving the materials as well if we have tha opportunity? Well damn. I think I need to re-read my manual 'bout "how to handle terrorists threats".

/me raises an eyebrow, hiding a somewhat twisted smile

But... showing yer true face, are ya, Aazamon. And still expecting people to believe in yer 'cause' when ya dare make such public statements that next time ya'll kill workers, miners and civilians. How nice.
    Jen Markarian - Put the weirdness back in Omni-Mining
    Updating my stories -- 19/03/08. Going slowly, but certainly
    Anarchy Reloaded - AO webcomics for the sake of being silly

I never want to lose what I have finally found
    There's a requiem
    A new congregation
    And it's telling me: go forward and walk
    Under a brighter sky
    -- Delerium, Euphoria --

Originally posted by Meister
    Damn.. it wasnt Omni-Pol that hindered you. It was Omni-Mining. How embarassing.
    Actually Omni-Pol has a strong presence at the notum transport facillity, go look for yourself they stand guard 24 hours a day. Omni-Mining as well has thier own formidable security service. Although I will admit the NLF isn't a millitary power house we are able to field small teams for specific type actions such as this. We came VERY close to success.

[i]Originally posted by Demenzia[i]

Uhm, hellooooo... Ya send a warning, and ya expect us to kindly and sheepishly evacuate the facilities *without* even attempting at saving the materials as well if we have tha opportunity? Well damn. I think I need to re-read my manual 'bout "how to handle terrorists threats".

/me raises an eyebrow, hiding a somewhat twisted smile

But... showing yer true face, are ya, Aazamon. And still expecting people to believe in yer 'cause' when ya dare make such public statements that next time ya'll kill workers, miners and civilians. How nice.
    To get a few facts strait here, for the NLF to be terrorists our goal in our attacks would have to be to inflict terror. This is not the case, we clearly meant to shut down the notum export facillity which attacks the nanomage people whith every blast of notum into space. Rebels yes, insurrectionists yes, Freedom Fighters yes, terrorists no! We have tried diplomacy, but Omni-Tek continues to ignore our concerns. War is nasty business and if Omni-Tek puts civillians at risk by placing them in a warzone then it's Omni-Tek's responsibillity if they incur casualties.

Until Omni-Tek sits down at the bargaining table with substantive changes in their policies that will allow the Nanomage people a future concider all Omni-Tek notum mining, transport, and processing facillities a war zone. To make this clear we do not see the Clans as free from culpabillity here, and our attacks attack any Clans who engage in notum mining as thier notum arrives at these facillities too.

((This is an escallation of an RP story involving the "large mines" not player owned land control, the NLF has no wish to grief players. We will however attack player owned land control from time to time, but not on a regular basis as we are an RP org.))

Until all are free!

We are recruiting

Oooh, that's a smart move NLF. Set off a nuke in the middle of terriformed Rubi-Ka. The liveable biosphere on Rubi-Ka is fragile at best, and the blast and radiation from a thermonuclear weapon would destablize all of it. Not to mention that there's a chance that the stored notum in the export facility could increase the payload of the bomb exponentially. You'd not only be killing Omni-Tek civilians, but yourselves. Nanomages require notum and a LIVEABLE BIOSPHERE to survive on Rubi-Ka. Unless you want to return to your dug out burrows, like the roller-rats that you are, you'd be killing just about every nanomage on the planet. Good thinking, morons.

-Darkthought
    Member of Omni-Mining

Darkthought:

Most terrorists, for surely that is what Aazamon and his bunch are, are non-too-bright when it comes to their acts. They are the epitome of the cliche about poking out your eye to spite your face. Seems that they are of the belief that if they can't have Rubi-Ka then nobody should.

They are not neutral. They shame us true neutrals. They are nothing but criminals whom Clan, Omni and Neutrals should band together, hunt down and destroy.

My views are my own and, in no way, necessarily reflect those of Circle G.
    Chiannies
    "My full name is Chiannies. But nobody calls me that. The "s" at the end is silent. Please call me Chiannie! It's pronounced like this: ch (like the first sound of chocolate) + ahhh (like ahhh!) + knee (like your knee). Not Chia Pet, either," says Chiannie.
    Fixer 120 -- Atlantean (on my spare time, I've also become a Doctor 65 and a Keeper 43 -- I'm a multitalented girl!)
    Applicant of Valor Eternal (EG)
    Martial Artist 157 -- Rimor
    Veteran of Ive Got Your Back
    Style over Substance

Originally posted by Darkthought
    Oooh, that's a smart move NLF. Set off a nuke in the middle of terriformed Rubi-Ka. The liveable biosphere on Rubi-Ka is fragile at best, and the blast and radiation from a thermonuclear weapon would destablize all of it. Not to mention that there's a chance that the stored notum in the export facility could increase the payload of the bomb exponentially. You'd not only be killing Omni-Tek civilians, but yourselves. Nanomages require notum and a LIVEABLE BIOSPHERE to survive on Rubi-Ka. Unless you want to return to your dug out burrows, like the roller-rats that you are, you'd be killing just about every nanomage on the planet. Good thinking, morons.

-Darkthought
    Member of Omni-Mining
    Don't get too far ahead of yourself. A small nuclear device such as this would have had mostly a localized effect. True there may have been some concequenceswith radiation in a larger area but that is a small price to pay to stop the export of notum off of Rubi-Ka! There is ample radiation around anyway with soldiers Radiation weapons, and the notum harvester beasts spewing radiation all over. The Suns of Rubi-Ka pour more radiation on us every day than this bomb would have created. However if multiple bombs had been used then there could have been more severe effects. Be quite sure, we measured the risks and found that it was worth it.

Until all are free!

We are recruiting

However if multiple bombs had been used then there could have been more severe effects. Be quite sure, we measured the risks and found that it was worth it.
    Is that a threat?
    Chiannies
    "My full name is Chiannies. But nobody calls me that. The "s" at the end is silent. Please call me Chiannie! It's pronounced like this: ch (like the first sound of chocolate) + ahhh (like ahhh!) + knee (like your knee). Not Chia Pet, either," says Chiannie.
    Fixer 120 -- Atlantean (on my spare time, I've also become a Doctor 65 and a Keeper 43 -- I'm a multitalented girl!)
    Applicant of Valor Eternal (EG)
    Martial Artist 157 -- Rimor
    Veteran of Ive Got Your Back
    Style over Substance

Don't get too far ahead of yourself. A small nuclear device such as this would have had mostly a localized effect. True there may have been some concequenceswith radiation in a larger area but that is a small price to pay to stop the export of notum off of Rubi-Ka! There is ample radiation around anyway with soldiers Radiation weapons, and the notum harvester beasts spewing radiation all over. The Suns of Rubi-Ka pour more radiation on us every day than this bomb would have created. However if multiple bombs had been used then there could have been more severe effects. Be quite sure, we measured the risks and found that it was worth it.
    Solar radiation isn't a heavy burst like a nuke would be. It's a constant stream of energy that the terraformed flora and fauna (created and engineered by Omni-Med, by the way) have over time hardened themselves to. Not to mention that distance from the suns reduces the dose. Nevermind that the Homo-Solitius and other breeds seem to have no ill effects from the dosage given by the twin suns. Radiation weapons are an extremly DIRECTED localized radation pulse. An out of control fission reaction is neither these. It's a very strong radiation pulse that's not directed in any specific direction. Not to mention the crater that would be left in the middle of Clon****, one of the richest areas for Rubi-Ka wildlife.

And what use is a nuclear device used for other than terror? The terror of nuclear winter is the only thing that kept the Homo-Sapiens from unleashing their thermonuclear weapons on Earth all those centuries in our past.

It's also a sign that you're unwanted and unneeded when other neutrals denounce you as terrorists. Enough of this. Next time I see you, or any member NLF, you will be greeted with the business end of my cyberdeck. Time to see if those experimental nanoprograms work...

-Darkthought
    Member of Omni-Mining

Until someone can come up with proof on what kind of nuclear device was used and what strength it had, this whole discussion on damage is only hypothetical.

If it was too big it would as Darkthought points out, destroy more than the canons and make the whole area of Clon**** inhabitable. If so was the case I would be forced to condemn this operation conducted by my allies, as my prime concern is the wildlife of Rubi-Ka after all.

If on the other hand, the explosive was small enough to only damage the canons and only leave the faintest of radioactive trace it might be seen as worth it for the betterment of the planet in the long run. I then applaud the NLF for their brave initiative. Failed or not, they tried and that speaks volumes of their dedication to the fight for the planet and its people.
    President Anisha "Trisagiona" Kenley of the Desert Winds

"Here is the price of freedom:
    Your every drop of courage,
    ounce of pain, pint of blood.
    Paid in advance."

Originally posted by Trisagiona
    Until someone can come up with proof on what kind of nuclear device was used and what strength it had, this whole discussion on damage is only hypothetical.

If it was too big it would as Darkthought points out, destroy more than the canons and make the whole area of Clon**** inhabitable. If so was the case I would be forced to condemn this operation conducted by my allies, as my prime concern is the wildlife of Rubi-Ka after all.

If on the other hand, the explosive was small enough to only damage the canons and only leave the faintest of radioactive trace it might be seen as worth it for the betterment of the planet in the long run. I then applaud the NLF for their brave initiative. Failed or not, they tried and that speaks volumes of their dedication to the fight for the planet and its people.
    Thermonuclear devices never ever leave a "faint" amount of radioactivity. It's in the nature of the beast. An uncontrolled fission reaction triggers an uncontrolled fusion reaction. There is no way to get a low yield with the technology. And defending the use of nukes by anybody marks you as bad as the perpetrators. The only reason Omni-Tek didn't glass the city of Tir from orbit in the Rubi-Kaan civil wars was the effects on the biosphere. And that city's on the "fringe" of the terraformed area. And that could have been done with a simple kinetic device. A heavy metal asteroid or a very dense projectile fired from a starship would have done the trick.

-Darkthought
    Member of Omni-Mining

The only reason Omni-Tek didn't glass the city of Tir from orbit in the Rubi-Kaan civil wars was the effects on the biosphere. And that city's on the "fringe" of the terraformed area. And that could have been done with a simple kinetic device. A heavy metal asteroid or a very dense projectile fired from a starship would have done the trick.
    Hmm since when did Omni-Tek really care about the biosphere? It's barely good enough to contain life on this planet. It could be fixed but OT can't find the initiative to do anything about it. Oh they did some minor modifications to the weather control system. It only killed all marine life but that does not harm anyone right?

My bet is that OT didn't bomb Tir during the civil war in fear of what the ICC might think about it. And the cost of course.
    Call me a cynic but I doubt there was compassion for living organisms that stayed their hand...

Paid in advance."

Thermonuclear devices never ever leave a "faint" amount of radioactivity. It's in the nature of the beast. An uncontrolled fission reaction triggers an uncontrolled fusion reaction. There is no way to get a low yield with the technology.
    I'm sorry, but it's plain that you don't have the faintest idea what you're talking about. Using as crude and outdated technologies as a fission charge to trigger a fusion explosion may have been the only possible way when these weapons were first introduced almost 30 thousand years ago, but the technological development since then has left us with a vast amount of non-radioactive options for producing energy in sufficient quantity to trigger a fusion explosion.

The most commonly known energy source for such a trigger would be anti-matter, but there are other alternatives as well. And rest assured that there would be no radioactive fallout after a fusion explosion triggered by such an alternate source of energy.

(( Please take the technological backstory and source material of AO into consideration before making absolute IC statements about how something *has to* work a certain way, based purely on knowledge of contemporary technologies. ))
    Delmar "Rubel" Dinnen
    President of Desert Winds

((Weird Looking Bomb.

So, nuclear bombs do exist in the game world - as do clubs and swords.))
    Janella "Nevver" McCallagher
    Board Member of
    Devil's Advocate
    .·´¯`·..·»
    Why settle for less when you can oppress?

"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain
    "Nevver: Like the thing that hides in your closet. But worse." - Gueve

Also known as...
    Jacquelynn "Kaitakait" Moscardelli
    Sun "
    Jamais" Soleil
    Sari "
    Nixis" Wagner

Thermonuclear devices never ever leave a "faint" amount of radioactivity. It's in the nature of the beast. An uncontrolled fission reaction triggers an uncontrolled fusion reaction. There is no way to get a low yield with the technology. And defending the use of nukes by anybody marks you as bad as the perpetrators. The only reason Omni-Tek didn't glass the city of Tir from orbit in the Rubi-Kaan civil wars was the effects on the biosphere. And that city's on the "fringe" of the terraformed area. And that could have been done with a simple kinetic device. A heavy metal asteroid or a very dense projectile fired from a starship would have done the trick.

-Darkthought
    Member of Omni-Mining
    I think there is a slight misunderstanding of physics here and the effects of a nuclear device. Nuclear winter would be caused by the kenetic force of many nuclear bombs sending massive amounts of debris into the atmosphere. The same would be caused by any device generating a similar amount of energy no matter the source. So your "simple kenetic device" would have the same effect if it produced the same amount of energy. The nuclear bomb we obtained was a very specific size suited to it's purpose. Nuclear bombs follow the basic principles of physics and thier energy output can be guaged very accurately. The device we chose to use was designed to completely destroy beyond repair the facillity, but more than 1000 meters out would mostly stay intact, and a safe distance for life from immediate radiation sickness would be aproximately twice that distance.

Sometimes when you have a cancer, as Rubi-Ka is suffering from, you need to use aggresive methods to save the whole by sacrificing a part.
    Last edited by Aazamon; Oct 8th, 2003 at 12:21:29.

Until all are free!

We are recruiting

Nevver looks at the giant tumor on top of Aazamon's shoulders and considers her own style of surgery.
    Last edited by Nevver; Oct 8th, 2003 at 12:55:14.
    Board Member of
    Devil's Advocate
    .·´¯`·..·»

Also known as...
    Sun "
    Jamais" Soleil
    Sari "
    Nixis" Wagner

The next major battle of Rubi-ka will be fought with weapons of incredible power and magnitude.

The one after that will be fought with only enforcers wielding sticks and stones.

Tris looks at Nevver and then down on her own swords and wonders if it will be a crime to kill her. According to Nevver and her ilk nothing is native to Rubi-Ka and thus have no real right to live. Tris grins.

Paid in advance."

Of course it's a crime to kill me, Clanner, and you would be punished severely. I am an employee of Omni Tek and under it's protection. However, if I kill you, I'll get a better parking spot in Omni HQ.
    Board Member of
    Devil's Advocate
    .·´¯`·..·»

Also known as...
    Sun "
    Jamais" Soleil
    Sari "
    Nixis" Wagner

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast