Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Lag and Broken Shores

I have a cable modem so i usualy do not have lag problems, but in broken shores the lag is terrible. When I take the whompah to broken shores my ping goes from green to red.

I have a a computer with the following specs:

1800+ Athlon XP (Running windows XP of course)
    512 DDR mem (Corsair 2700/333)
    80 Gig HDD w/8 meg cache @ 7200 RPM
    Gforce 4 Ti4600 128MB card
    Asus a7v333 MoB
    SB Live Platinum 5.1 surround spkrs
    DSL

1. BROKEN SHORES: I experience the most lag in Broken Shores. I think that's a winner on this post. Lags a lot when you grid in and then when you move to a new location at home. Also when you change zones from mission in and out. I have experienced lag here from day one of AO. It has not changed.

2. CLON****: Gridding to Clon****...lag is pretty bad. Aferwards it's not so bad.

3. TIR: Whom-Pah-ing into Tir is pretty bad. Gridding in is worse.

4. Old Athens: On occasion the lag is bad. But not really that bad. And it is occasional and only on zoning in from grid/store/otherzone such as Aegean.

There's my two cents!

Don't really have an issue with the zone per se.

Basically, any zone that has lots of players causes my ping to jump from 150 to up to 4000.

When I sit in BS during heavy traffic, there are times when I can't even join teams because the accept button or recruit button just won't work. (Or any buttons for that matter.)

I've assumed it wasn't really 'lag', but just poor framerate from having all these people to render.

Well BS is laggy as hell its WORST than before you guys " fixed" it, and also who got the bright idea to put the grid in the middle of the sea ? with the lag i see 40%ppl including myself sometimes that end up swimming !
    2ho as well as any other playfield gets laggy when there is more than 30 people shooting.

lag issues

1.4 ghz amd athlon
    256 DDR
    32mb Geforce 2 video card
    21 gig 7400 rpm HD
    cable modem
    Win2k

Lagging horribly in BS. Regardless of whether there are lots of people around.

Thanks for looking into this Cosmik

home (Bs)

Bs is CHOPPY for me, especially if its not the first zone im in. if i logged out in bs restarted my computer and logged in again it is fine, so my comp can run it.

dsl connect : ping between 20 and 65
    p4 1.4
    256 ram
    geforce2 mx 64 meg

Broken shores does it imenensly for me specially up around near the "stairs" where the root of the city is. Also 20k when lots of people are around. Omni somewhat but nowhere's near as bad as it used to be (like once things cache it's workable, excet BS and sometimes 20k)

Stats:
    750mhz AMD Athalon
    ASUS K7V motherboard
    256mb ram (PC133 I think, forget)
    20 gig Western Digital UDMA 7200rpm
    GeForce 4 Ti 4600 128mb obr AGP
    Cable Modem

Mainly all local lag though I think, as if it were network lag I'd be seeing asynchronous movement (still fluid, though client begins to predict projectory of moving objects/players). It's mainly just "chop/stutter". Granted I'm on a 750, but the GeForce 4 should be be more then enough to handle it. Perhaps a faster processor pushing the card I guess would help.

--------------------------------------------
    ;runs with mission leader a room ahead of those falling behind
    *BOOM* *insert whinney rollerrat noise here*

"heh I heard that! Gotta check for traps " -- Stakfallt

Stakfallt 112 nt proud member of the omni-scum corp.
    dentonjc 5 agent proud member of the omni-scum corp.
    drkarvorkian 5 doctor proud member of the omni-scum corp.
    hieivincent 6 ma proud member of the omni-scum corp.
    1 or 2 other alts. also proud members of the omni-scum corp.

was just thinking.. I remember back in beta there was a really nasty nasty memory leak. And as time progressed Funcom did do a pretty good job of closing a very very good portion of it, but I don't recall remembering hearing that it was ever fully closed. Now alot of you have some pretty impressive systems and are reporting lag. I wonder if what were seeing is still remnants of that memory leak. Ever notice when you first load the game runs pretty well, then after about an hour to an hour and half you notice performance starting to degrade? That does kinda show evidence of memory not being released. Infact I beleive Drabin (past NT class profession) ran some simple tests, while simple it was pretty apparent memory was slowly getting eaten and eaten up. Cause I noticed even in missions after a while it gets a bit laggy (local lag I'm referring to).

Because I'm starting to wonder. When I'm under intense lag, I wonder if I moved to a less architectual area if permonace would be not as bad. Reason why I wonder that is, let's say you have 256mb of ram, and about 190 of it is used. Going to say like another huge city might just utterly crush it, because it needs more than that 66mb of ram left. But if you went somewhere were the area design wasn't as intense you might be able to squeeze by and get *fair* performance because the not-so intensely designed areas require less ram to cache. This would also explain why bigger cities and such are hard performance hitters and lesser intense areas are not as bad. Perhaps it's the memory leak causing less memory to be available for cache that's creating the lag? (hope that makes sense.? ) If that's the case that would also explain why revisting cached areas become even worse.. New peope entering the area etc. Be interesting to hear what an AO programmer thinks of the theory. If this is the case, redesigning the zones, while would help, the cause of the issue would still be there. And if that is the case, all that would be required would be to keep a list of the order of zones you visited and upon zoning clear out the memory used for the oldest zones giving you back the ram. (Which doesn't seem to be happening accroding to Drabin's test) Lemme see if I can find the url.. *digs through his favorites list* ok found it, http://nanotechnician.homestead.com/news.html
    lemme know what you guys think. Even though the test he ran was pretty simple, it does kinda show the leak is still around and living well.

(Remember just a theory not saying I'm positive so please go easy on me just tossing some ideas out to possibly get the ball rolling as to what's the cause)

(EDIT: couple of typ-os)

Stakfallt 112 nt proud member of the omni-scum corp.
    Last edited by StakFallT; Jul 24th, 2002 at 22:39:01.

Originally posted by StakFallT
    was just thinking.. I remember back in beta there was a really nasty nasty memory leak.
    .... .... *scratch* what do you mean "back in beta"? :P I'm pretty sure it was weeellllll into release before anything solid was fixed about the leaks.

However, I run AO with Diamond Stealth TnT 16Mb card and 375MHz Celeron. With an age old HD that is slow as molasses in tar. But I have 396Mb (or something, forgot exact amount) of ram. There is server lag, and then there is client "lag" (duh, it is not lag, it's just lack of processing power). You can spot client "lag" because your HD churns, and it goes away fast. If you run low on mem (I recommend lots of ram for AO, 256 minimum, 350+recommended), you'll start getting more client "lag" due to more churning. People are the worst, because they appear and appear and new people come and go, so it isn't just a load textures and be done with it but it loads them often. And if your mem is up, then it starts the swapping to virtual mem which slows it down even more.

Server lag is usually of the steady kind if it is noticeable, and strange anomalies in game timing is bursts of sync issues with server or some weird server lag bursts. Usually the anomalies are due to sync troubles though, meaning the network between client/server, thus true lag. Server "lag" (steady "lag") is really bad (not enough server power on FC end!), lag bursts (the real lagging) are unavoidable due to the nature of the internet, and client "lag" is avoidable with superfast HD and enough mem if you play long stretches in a row and visit many places.

Defrag your drives often enough, have high mem, and it isn't "bad". I should know, I have a 375MHz Celeron and god awful old slow HD.

Originally posted by StakFallT
    was just thinking.. I remember back in beta there was a really nasty nasty memory leak.
    I was referring to it started back in beta, and still is around. Even when they said they "think" they fixed the memory leak, I don't recall ever any official position on them "fixing/closing" the leak completely. In beta it was about 15 min. of playing and you *had* to reboot, it was definately noticeable, like one of those things you say to yourself, "well looks like it's 'that' time again...". Now it's up to about an hour and a half to 2 hours it seems. It's questionable the time now as it's not as prominent, as it's more of a if-you-can-deal-with-it (some areas like BS and sometimes 20k it still is a reboot or get to where you need to and leave the zone), back then it wasn't even playable when it hit. Anyhow for me those are the numbers (when you had/have to reboot) though I'm sure it varries, I'd imagine, some depending on more or less ram. So when I say "back in beta" I'm referring to when it was really really bad (could be high ram and still hit hard specially in omni-1 ent.), as opposed to now, bad in some areas(zones/etc) good in others, bad in some cases(less and less free ram) good in others (lots of ram left). But that's what I meant by that. Sorry, I prolly should been a little more clear on that. I just hate rambling, which is what I'am doing now lol

As far as lag goes, yes I know what local and network lag is
    I do agree though, I wish people would stop calling "local lag" local lag, as I supposed technically it really is correct because it's a "slowdown" but really like you said it's just lack of processing power (either from sourcode from leaks/whatnot) or just really lack of processing power (not poweful enough cpu, etc). Only reason why I use the word lag with local is because it's become common place, and rather then explain "local lag" without using the word lag, it's quicker and just easier to say local lag.

Network Lag: asynchrnous movement occurs (mob moves even though ping is way up, to give the appearance there is no network lag) when user has high ping rates (time[ms] it takes to send a network packet to the server and back to the user). Mainly this only occurs in missions. Some know of the issue as blackholing. Blackholing comes from what, nearest I can tell, a outsynch of the server to the client (when the client is playing on complete asynchronous movement). Chat still works because that's a different server then the zone/world. This type of lag is usually more noticeable in mission areas. Because there's not a whole lot of intense area design, so everything moves fairly well (until game caches to hd). So when everything is moving along fairly well normal activities such as casting look weird. When I say weird I mean like, the nanoprogram bar starts counting like your casting, there's no animation, and the nuke never goes off, then after about 5 - 10 sec. the mob poofs back into spot behind some wall which was near it's path on it's way to you, even though the client predicted that the mob would be were it was when you started to blackhole.

Local lag: Video rendering stutters because processor and harddrive are tied up caching and reading. This is more noticed outdoors as the game stutters so badly sometimes that the user doesn't notice the network lag as the game is too choppy to even notice the difference. Though can happen in missions if your coming to the end of your free ram left.

But what I'm saying is, is I think because there's so much local lag the leak is still around. And Drabin's test also prooves that. If they freed up the old ram, the harddrive wouldn't work so hard because the game would use the freed up ram instead of swap file. And zones like BS and sometimes 20k, would hit hard at first but would play like you just rebooted. And also what I'm saying is, even going in and out of a zone still slows the game down (even when the zone is cached). Reason being: because new players are entering and exiting the zone all the time, so there's always still something new that needs to be cached. Basically in a nutshell: Seems local lag is all related back to the original memory leak that appears to never have been full closed and also appears to be "alive and well" (just crippled a bit from the history of patches).

Stakfallt 114 nt proud member of the omni-scum corp.
    Last edited by StakFallT; Jul 25th, 2002 at 08:58:01.

phix it!

im soooo tierd of laggin thru BS...

edit: oh.. btw.. the town is divided into west and east atm.. why not make it north and south and have the north side moved to the otherside of the crater and make it under omni controll and south clan controlled.. add a grid in both.. then u would have spread out the load a bit, and we are at war.. nosense in omnis and clans running hand in hand into missions
    Last edited by Znails; Aug 12th, 2002 at 09:15:34.
    Znails

I think Stakfallt is right, it must be a memory leak. I can coast through 20K, BS, Newland, etc,. when I first loat the game. But after a while I might be forced to stand still for over a minute to let my comp catch up enough to let me move from the whompah without AO looking like a string of still screenshots =P I'm sure a lot of lag problems and crash problems will be fixed if this apparent memory leak is completely fixed. Another way to help may be to load more from the client side? I'm not sure if this is how it actually works or not but I seem to be downloading maps and such. Of course it might just be the upload into the video card, not sure =P

Specs:
    PIII 800Mhz
    Asus CUV4x Mboard
    512 MB PC 133 RAM
    GeForce 4 4600 128 MB
    SB Live! Platinum
    280 GB HDD
    1024/256 DSL

Lag in:
    Tir - around Grid
    Tir - around Fair Trade
    Tir - around Arena
    Avalon - inside Camelot Castle
    Broken Shores - all inside The City Of Home
    Whompas - lag near most of the whompas in "crowded" areas

Thats about all the places I visit so I wouldnt know about other places.

Cutting thru the posts..

Spec:
    1.2GHz Athlon
    GeForce3 Ti500 64
    512MB PC133
    SB Live! Player
    Lots of disk space (ATA100 x2)

Connection:
    BT Openworld Home 500 (512K down, 256K up)

BS status:
    Juddery. 0-15fps, depending on whether the textures have loaded. Takes up to 1 minute to load the textures and settle down.

Tir status:
    As an example for comaprison. Much smoother, though still judders a little, except Grid which is bad.

Ideal city:
    Old Athen/West Athen. Smooth.
    Last edited by Ntrox; Sep 5th, 2002 at 14:42:34.
    Gimme sammich!!1

Reborn Sammich

Lag

My specs are:

*650Mhz Athalon
    *320Mb Ram
    *TNT2 32Mb (Beta Driver)
    *10Gb IDE 7200Rpm HD
    *Windows XP Proffesional Edition

My connection speed is:

*Roadrunner Service(Cable Modem)
    *300k/sec Download (Average)
    *150k/sec Upload (Average)

The places i lag the most are:

*Tir
    *Broken Shores(City of Home)
    *2ho
    *Newland City
    *The Grid(Not Fixer Grid)

I try to avoid Tir by all means. The lag is by far the worst there from the mass of people in such a small place. Broken Shores is a pain as well from the mix of storms/people and all the buildings. Newland City is like glue right by the mission terminals by the gate next to the lake(forgot which direction). 2ho is only bad when there are huge PvP battles going on. The Grid can get pretty bad some days as well, but the fixer grid is the most lag free place ive ever been. What gets me PO'd the most is getting lag damage after a mob has died. Ive lost countless XP this way.

-Cavicus

System:

Athlon 700, 256mb RAM. Ultra SCSI 2 hard disk, Win XP, GeForce3 (Not Ti)

Most missions I get are in Broken Shores,, leaving fron Newland City.

Why? Forming a team of 6 is hard enough. Forming a team of 6 that will last through more than one mission is near impossible.

Team missions in places like 20k are just huge. The last team mission I was in at 20k lasted for almost 3 hours, and we had just gotten the counter to 50%. On the otherhand, BS missions are small (50-100 mobs usually, with the ocasional 200 mob mission) and are finishable in 45min - 1 hour.

Omni HQ missions are usually 200+ missions, and Milky Way missions are usually huge (400 mobs) and caves.

What I've firgured oout:

Players don't like caves. I don't know why really.

Players don't like 400 mob missions.

I don't think most high level people would mind traveling to other locations if the missions were of decent size (50-100 mobs, with a 200 mob mission ocasionally.), but there are very few areas where you can get a mission of decent size.

So, you get lots of people gathering in Newland and Tir, close to the mission terms that give out Broken Shores missions, causing conjestion there. Then the teams head out to Broken Shores.

The other thing that might contribute to lag is that unlike Newland City or Tir, The City of Home isn't a seperate zone. Don't know if such a split would really help or not.

Oh, and the grid exit in Home really really sucks. First thing I do on exiting the grid is Parrot myself so I don't have to worry about getting wet.

Actually, flying above Home gets alot less lag than running through Home. There are definity graphic issues with Home. (Hidden polygons being rendered, etc.) and the population of the city doesn't help. It always take me longer to zone into Broken Shores (from grid of Whompa) than any other place.
    Glarawyn L220 OT Adventurer
    It's good to be furry.
    ----
    Lilredhot L220 OT Enforcer
    Don't mind me, I tank without a helmet.
    ----
    Gunslinger19 L150 OT Soldier
    There's a word for people who think everyone's out to get them: perceptive.

is it lag in broken shores?

Storms over Home

The storms over Home, Broken Shores really really lag me out. It is my computer, not my connection, I think. And I think it may be more the sound of the lightning than the rendering of it.

But, whatever it is, a lightning strick in Home freezes my game for about 5 - 10 seconds or worse to *much* worse if I haven't reloged in a while.

Making the city of Home lighting free will help ALOT. Storms in the rest of the zone do not matter, its just in and near Home where it matters.

Windows ME
    300a Intel Celeron
    128 MBs RAM
    IDE 100G Hard Drive, 7200 RPM, 16? MB cache
    Gforce 4 Ti4400 128MB Video Card
    Asus P2B-DS
    Sound Blaster Live!
    56K Modem
    Last edited by Rhumak; Oct 2nd, 2002 at 12:10:17.

Pentium 4 1.7 Ghz
    786 RAM
    GeForce 4 MX 440 64 MB
    2 Mbit ADSL (2048/1024)

BS lags alot nowdays.
    I haven't had a lot of problems with lag in BS, but the lag problem got worse with the last patch. (I think)

2HO never lags on my computer...except if there is a really big PvP fight going on.

This is with all settings at full and all special effects activated.
    And also maximum resolution.

Almost no lag problems when settings set to a much lower detail.

Does BS have more graphics then other places?

20K is actually the worst place, lag is terrible there. (Only in city, not outside city walls)
    I AM Kantarell I AM Mbutu
    Techno-Wizard is the most fun to play!

Question Re: Storms over Home

Originally posted by Rhumak
    Windows ME
    300a Intel Celeron
    Gforce 4 Ti4400 128MB Video Card
    Let me get this straight, you are running a GF4 card in a system with a 300Mhz processor??

If this is the case then it most definietely is your system that's causing the problem.
    Nemesi5 - 220 Agent

Daktar1 - 215 Doctor

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast