Thread: Character/Account Swapping...

Lightbulb Character/Account Swapping...

Okay I thought about this a while ago, and Emailed funcom and asked but they said they have no plans to implement this yet or at all.

Okay, me and my brother have been sharing the same account, we play on the same PC, so basically we have to "share".

I have only one character, I have only made one char, ever, My level 71 Enforcer, And I'm happy with it, Alot of money, Decent armour and a yalamaha , everything ive needed and I am sorted to lvl 100+

My brother has made alot of characters, his main being his uber twinked MA (BTW does twinked here means someone who is to the best of there abliity not that exploit thing?)

Hes level 50 Now, And already Wearing Elites which I wore at level 60 so hes doing Pretty good.

Now, Im getting a PC for him and giving him his own new account.
    But Its taken me, considering I have to share 4/5 months to get to lvl 71.

Me and my brother want to be able to team together and be in the same guild.

Now us two could make new chars, he has to I dont.
    Now we got double play time so we oculd level pretty fast but, by the time he reaches 71 what will i be?

I really really would like if you could beable to Transfer characters to different accounts as long as the other account is on the same credit card so people cant swap chars and sell them for real money etc.

It would be really good, im sure theres a few other people here that feel the same.

But I dont really want to have to start a new char with him and spend months leveling him up and fall behind on my char or get to far away from his char.

I know a few people that play on 2 pcs, and on 2 accounts in the same room and its a real benifit.

Having someone you can trade money/items with, Hunt, level, Rely on, etc.
    Mission Aid also.

Also since Yals are no drop, I dont want to give his char on my account one cuase we wont beable to swap so he has to wait till he gets a new char, and fiarly high char to get one and use it.

Thats all.

Funcom isn't going to, and apparently told you they're not going to, transfer characters between accounts.

It causes WAY, way too much trouble for them. Verant finally did start doing it, as I recall, for BIG, real world dollars. Want to pay something like $150 to do one character?

Realize you're violating your contract with Funcom, and they could, should they have been feeling exceptionally anal about it, have cancelled your account entirely when you told them you were doing so. This was probably not the 'solution' you'd have been looking for.

Accounts aren't allowed to be shared. They ignore it as long as it doesn't come to their attention or cause trouble, but you have no recourse.

Start a new account, and level up new characters. Or just continue to share some characters.

With two accounts and computers, you should be able to 'help' the new characters with gear and cash, and some 'in field' help to get them leveled faster.

Violating EULA ? That's strange.. in wat way are we violating it ?

Only one character is active at any one time.. with only a single login.

BTW, I'm facing the same thing.. me and my brother had been playing different characters on the same account becoz we play during different times.

Now..we are thinking of getting a 2nd account and would like to transfer his character over. Really hope Funcom would allow it.

To prove that I'm not selling characters.... both accounts are charged to the same Credit card....

Because 2 people are playing, but you are only paying for one person, basically. Accounts are personal. Just like with most kinds of licenses, you don't pay for the actual program. You pay for the right to use it.
    *poof*

Finally free from this nightmare!

Just thought of a thing...

Why don't both of you start new characters?

I mean, do you enjoy to actually play the game, or is it the levels you want? Lots of people start new characters. Sure, if you've invested time to develop a unique way or RPing your char, then it kind of sucks... Still, you can stick with it. If you are in a guild, they will probably get your next character in too.
    *poof*

Tiran why Cant my Brother Play anarchy online, he lives in the same house! He uses the Same PC, Are you Out of your god damn mind?

Since when was the a voilation, you need some sorting out, honestly, Voilation, pfff...

Also

"Funcom isn't going to, and apparently told you they're not going to, transfer characters between accounts"

I didnt say that, I said they said they have no PLANS to.

I find your post insulting and you gave me the impression you skip read my message and did not take into account what I clearly stated, I would like an apology, you seemed Offensive towards me, sorry, but you did.

I'd like to see FUNCOM tell me personally that my brother, my own lil brother Cant use his char on my account on the same pc, that I use.

But I want to keep my cchar up to lvevl not for levels, but to play with my friends that I have for the past months, I daily group with them and not being able to do that would make me unhappeh =)

Maybe an Account upgrade to allow Two logins at the same time?

But we don't want to share it, we want to play together, hell yeah I got the funds and a hell of alot of experience to level up fast, I suppose.
    I need a Second char anyway...any ideas what to go for? Im thinking of an NT.
    He is going to make a MA I think so would them to work good together. I did think doc first so we could hunt Oranges and maybe reds and keep healing him as him and his friend recently did.

Some people in this post have seemed a bit uptight, as for the rest thnx for the responce, id like to hear more ontopic and not a flame war
    Last edited by Cloudeh_; Nov 26th, 2001 at 12:29:55.

I think you're missing a point...

With what you know about the game and with a lvl 71 Enf for funding, you'll be able to level a new character in 1/10th the time it would have taken from scratch. One mission with the Enf. could provide full armour and weapons for 10 levels of a new character. Plus, if you're the patient type you can always collect a few mission tokens while your character is young.

Anglais

char swapping

From my experience, character swapping is a Really Bad Thing (tm). In games I played where this is possible, this feature isn't used, it is ABused, annoying kids buying high-level characters to harass as many people as possible, name confusion, giving friends of the previous owner bad reputations, things like that. *
    So I hope AO never gets this feature.

Besides, as others have pointed out, this is a personal account, you should never have shared it in the first place.
    And by the way, watch your language. You're violating the Rules of Conduct now too.

* note I am not accusing you of this. There will be plenty of other people to abuse this feature.

Seesh I wish people would read what I said.

I said, Only have Character Swapping if the "Second account is charged on the Same Credit Card as the first account"

Or make the Two user login an upgrade to your account and pay more, and i would be willing to do that.

"Besides, as others have pointed out, this is a personal account, you should never have shared it in the first place"
    I DIDN'T SHARE IT, ITS MY BROTHER, HE LIVES WITH ME, It's Legal.

Tell me where it says "Your brother who lives in the same house, uses the same pc is not allowed to use your account and must get his own"

Seriously see what your saying?
    Last edited by Cloudeh_; Nov 26th, 2001 at 16:01:30.

Watch my language? what the hell?
    Im sorry but some people are reading something I didnt post, or are just not reading at all.

LoL

Tamatok
    Yeah, your brother might live in the same house, maybe even in the same room, but he still is not you. As the account is directly linked to your person and not to the house you life in or your family you may not share it with anybody else in which way ever he might be related to you. Nobody cares about as long as you do not run around shouting: YEAH MY WHOLE FAMILY USES MY ACCOUNT!!! Would you give your drivers license to your brother? Would you give your credit card to your brother? Funcom has the right to ban people being offensive or anything like that in the game. That means that YOU and YOUR account will be banned and a story like "no but my brother played with my account" won´t and cannot interest them. You have made a contract allowing you as a single person to use this account if u in any way make it possible for others to get access to your account that means that you break the contract. This is how it is. Yeah, lot of people will play that way but that doesn´t make it legal.

sigh

Yes cloudeh, watch your language. Re-read your second post in this thread, the very first sentence.

Or was that your brother ?

What's the violation? Perhaps if you read that EULA you agree to every time you play...

1. Accounts are available only to adults or, in their discretion, their minor children. If you are a minor, your parent(s) or guardian(s) must complete the registration process, in which case they will take full responsibility for all obligations under this Agreement. By clicking the "I Accept" button and providing us with a credit card number, you represent that you are an adult and are either accepting this Agreement on behalf of yourself or your child. Except as provided herein, you may not transfer or share your Account with anyone, except that if you are a parent or guardian, you may permit one child to use the Account instead of you (in which case you may not use that Account). You are liable for all activities conducted through the Account, and parents or guardians are liable for the activities of their child. Corporations and other entities are not eligible to procure accounts.

See that 'you may not transfer or share your account with anyone'?

Notice that if a parent buys an account for their own child, they are specifically prohibited from using the account themselves?

No, you aren't allowed to share an account. Funcom HAS 'told' you that. You simply choose to, apparently, not believe that the rules might apply to you.

Boy, if you thought my message was 'insulting', you haven't seen real usenet flames. That was a polite reminder that telling Funcom you're breaking the rules, isn't a good idea.

I dont think they care, if they do they would tell me, anyway im getting 2 accounts so, "middle finger" BTW THAT WAS A JOKE and no that finger was not to Fc but to people, AS A JOKE

lol , im laughing at my own joke, jeees i need help.

But on a serious note, my brother, cant, use, my account, do you know how pethetic that really sounds?

Im talking about Commen sense here.
    Its a game.

Oh yeah also, I let me freind play on AO.
    But because of it hes getting it? Oh sorry doesnt funcom want the extra money, but but

And my brother freind has played Ao in this account, and now hes got one also, thats two peole because of us.

Now my brother is getting his own, 3 people.

and my Friend from work has got it since i talk to him about it all the time

DING! LEVEL 2 of Wooho im on a role.

Okay so the guys name is

stupoo, stupop if you dont believe me, my friend from work hasnt told me his name yet, and my OTHEr frined needs money to styart his.
    As for my bro new account, i need the new pc first.

are you not glad that because of this 5 people are playing your game.
    Or should i stop letting people try the game and then getting it themselves? :]

I put my background as AO on my college computer and a few people said whats that, I showd em and now they are beggining to, get interested.

Also ill tell them to add my name to the sign up thing so i can get that CD
    hehe

Character swapping is a bad thing ?

This is crap.

People had been selling WHOLE ACCOUNTS on EBAY. How is that better than character swapping ?

We are trying to give FUncom additional revenue. Maybe one extra subscriber is too insignificant to some of u ?

But if I'm a businessman, I would do it. It's extra profit at little cost.

It is not very difficult to transfer characters IMO, just some DB scripts.

BTW, regarding developing new characters.... yes.. we intend to do just that. But.... there are certain attachements to a character that u've spent months building up (plus all the token gathering, etc.). Would be quit a pity if he can't port it over.

Talking ebay

You may not transfer your account. That includes selling on ebay.

You guys are nuts!

Two people in the same house using the same account is fine. They are both using the same copy of the game on the same computer. The game has not been duplicated illegally and neither has the passcode. If the passcode were being used on multiple pcs by multiple users to access the game, I could see a problem with that. Before you say "that can't be done", YES it can be done. if you log into the system at the same time with the same ID, then 2 people on 2 different computers can play 2 characters on the same account at the same time. (i know from experience) At least this could happen about 2 months ago, with all the new patches this may have changed.

Either way, I see no violation of the rules for 2 people to be using the same software and login on the same computer. I invite anyone on this board to find DOCUMENTATION to the contrary.
    O b i t u s Atrox Clan Enforcer My trade skill? Smackin' stuff till it cries! Obi's Rig
    Unit Memer of S t o r m

Never Forget

hmm

Obitus, please re-read tiran's last post. The one with the EULA piece. While you're at it, read the EULA itself, so you know he isn't making it up.

First off, if you can/could play two chars at the same time, then something is wrong.

You could do this in beta, and that ment that the actual numbers of players were far more than they wanted to. So they limited it to 1 active char per account.

Would you consider the EULA as 'documentation'? I don't really know if that counts or not, but I'll quote it anyway.

"[...] you may not transfer or share your Account with anyone, except that if you are a parent or guardian, you may permit one child to use the Account instead of you (in which case you may not use that Account)."

If you want word from someone at Funcom, you can email account@funcom.com

I know it sucks, but I'm not the one making up the rules.
    *poof*

Its like some of you don't read, who said anything about 2 people using the same account at once?
    Feh
    Obitus understands, thnx man
    So then, does this mean every game i have i cant share, yeah right.