Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Be Careful at Meetmedere

Cogs,

You claim to be searching some sort of middle ground, and yet you present us with such a biased and deliberately inflammatory portrayal of life in Newland City, I do wonder if you are even aware of it. Or are phrases like “Omni oppression” so ingrained in your vocabulary you don’t even realise some reader might take exception to it?

The fact is the bad old days for Newland were a long time ago, when there was neither sufficient suppression gas nor guards to keep the peace and both Omni and Clanners butchered the local merchants routinely. While I would not consider the present state of affairs ideal, commerce in Newland is by no means in decline and the streets are safe for the locals. The day Newlanders will feel secure enough to do away with the Mercs, they will. It will be their decision though, theirs alone.

As for the information you requested is here http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...0&pagenumber=1[/url You may have to skim through a couple of pages before getting to the logs. In a nutshell, it just shows that in the months preceding the mercs arrival in NLC, neutral mining facilities were 3 times more likely to be attacked by Clan than Omni forces. I’m surprised you felt it necessary to query this. I thought it was common knowledge.

Soyuz is correct, the reason Clans have historically been more aggressive towards Neutrals is more a result of the geography of the region than ideology. But that just goes to confirm what I have been saying all along: ideological difference aside, in deeds Clans and Omni-Tek are acting in a virtually indistinguishable way. Taken as a whole, in terms of obsession with material wealth and consumerism, in their readiness to resort to violence and aggression, in their disdain for Neutrals, in their lack of internal cohesion, in their unquestioning pursuit of notum mining and disregard for the environment there really is no difference these days between the sides.

And yet most Clanners I talk to still have an unshakeable believe that the Clans represent some sort of greater good and that they are moved by something altogether nobler than simple self-interest. But how or where does this moral calling manifest itself? Clearly not in Clan dealings with Neutrals.

The fact is, once you cast aside the propaganda, all you are left with on Rubi-Ka today is two local superpowers throwing their weight around and looking after their own interests, as superpower in the past have always done, and a Neutral faction caught in the middle. You can cry “Freedom to the people” and “Down with the corporate drone” all you like, this is the true balance of power, this is the level at which real politics works.

I have no illusions about OT motives and methods, and I get no joy pointing out the failings of the clans. But as long as Clanners will persist in portraying OT as a comic book villains and the Clans a romantic rebels, I will be here to remind people of the stark facts. The moral high ground is not something you inherit; it is something you earn each and every day by way of deeds, not words.

Savoy
    Dabblez - Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR)
    We put the Art into Artificial Intelligence!

Hmm..you present a good case and argument, miss Savoy! I will take your words to heart, and consider what you say with the respect it deserves. You might indeed be correct that I am stuck in rhetorics of old...then again I am known as quite the old fart *smiles*
    Nevertheless, something needs to be done, and my offer of a hand outstretched still stands. It is, undoubtedly, only together that we might achieve something worthwhile...some common ground to stand on.....a future we can all live with!

(addendum: the NL story is as relayed to me by Confuciouz, a neutral turned clan, as he could not watch what went on in NL City, just FYI)((ooc:all in the name of rp))
    Last edited by Cogs; Aug 24th, 2003 at 05:53:06.
    Anthony "Cogs" McDuff
    Veteran, Cerberus
    220 Supreme Creator : Master of Wheels...the lingerie modeling robot!

Omni-Tek agreed to the Tir accord so in effect, gave up claim to govern Athen when they signed the Tir Accord. Your right though. It is a dead document. I was merely pointing out to the unenlightened that the Tir Accord specifically granted Newland to the Clans. Now it's might makes right and who ever resides on a spot of turf is who owns it.

Originally posted by Daetona
    Quote ::

"Interesting historical point is Newland rightfully belonged to the Clans Jurisdiction according to the Tir Accord"

If you care to throw in a territorial dispute, or property line arguements, need I remind you of Omni-2, or as your kind has since renamed it after a military take-over, "Athens" ?

If you mean to imply that the Clans have any right to Newland City in that statement, you'll be creating one great big hypocrasy. Legal land deeds don't mean anything to the Clans, as Omni-Tek still holds the lease to Rubi-Ka, and if that legal mumbo-jumbo meant one ioda to Clanners, you'd pack your bags, and leave this rock.

So don't spout off any of this "rightfully belonged to" nonsense... You don't get it one way, then turn around and want it the other when it suits you.

Besides, the Tir Accord is long since dead, and all because the Clans failed to govern themselves with any steadfast control. Omni-Tek desolved the Accord because if there is no Governing Body to deal with, no proceedings can happen.

Best of luck to the Neutral Citizens who wish to keep Meetmedere safe and turn it into a thriving City... you'll need it.
    -Finalizer Vixentrox-
    Former President and Founder,
    -Whisper's Edge-
    Former Member of the Atlantean CoT Clerical Staff

Socializer 73% Killer 53% Explorer 53% Achiever 20%

Kissysuzuki -
    WTB small enough brain and lack of imagination to be able to sit and solo hecklers for 5 days straight.

What is to be done, Cogs?

I am not sure this is the kind of response you were looking for. Bear in mind I am in no position of power; I just write reports I do not make policy. These are my personal views, nothing more, nothing less.

Omni-Tek
    With each passing year, OTRK is less and less interested in long-term solutions. The leases runs out in 50 or so years, the priority for OTRK is to make the most of remaining time, in terms of notum mining and profits. Therefore I would imagine OTRK’s policy would be very much one of “not rocking the boat” and hang on to the status quo for as long as possible.

“Not rocking the boat” in effect means showing extreme restraint vis-à-vis Clan incursions. No amount of diplomacy will convince the most hard-line clans to cease-fire. And yet, should OTRK try to retaliate against these hard-line Clans, this is sure to bring into the conflict the whole of the Clans. This is exactly the kind of escalation of the conflict OTRK is keen to avoid and was very much the strategy behind the Amnesty. Unfortunately this form of passive resistance is also very unpopular among Omni employees who perhaps do not see the bigger picture, which leads us straight to my next point.

The main problem facing OTRK is that it has lost control over its own people. In a nutshell because Omni Prime has chosen a hands-off policy regarding Rubi-Ka and provided only minimal military support, each little sub-division of OTRK’s has created its own mini-army or resorted to hiring mercenary companies and freelancers. Not only are these different units lacking overall coordination, many of them have become increasingly independent and even scornful of the central authorities. OTRK must find a way to reassert its authority over it people otherwise the risk is that (1) eventually the more hard-line OT factions will plunge Rubi-Ka again into open war or (2) the same hard-line factions might stage a coup and take control of OTRK themselves.

Clan
    The Clans need to be thinking more less about Omni-Tek and more about preparing for the post-OTRK period. If the Clans are interested in ruling Rubi-Ka they must be able to prove to the ICC that they can provide a stable government and can be trusted with the control of the single most precious natural resource in the universe. In that respect losing the Council of Truth was catastrophic for the Clans and I would think reforming the CoT should be their top priority.

If that could be achieved, I would suggest the Clans then press to have the Tir Accord reinstated. This might require some hard bargaining with OTRK and the terms in the document might not please everyone, but what the Tir Accord does is give under ICC law the Clans a legal standing and claim to Rubi-Kan territories. Without the Tir Accord, as far as ICC law is concerned, there is no real difference between Clan, Neutrals or even rhinomen.

If the Clans fail to seize the moment and get their act together, the lease of Rubi-Ka will pass on to some other mega-corporation and history will repeat itself. That is really too depressing to even consider, and yet it would only take the actions of a few hard-line clans to ruin things for everyone.

Summary
    In summary, my feeling is that the Omni-Clan conflict is effectively irrelevant at point in time. Even from a purely unsentimental economic and pragmatic standpoint, peace would suit both sides, a fact I am sure both Ross and Radiman were conscious of when they agreed to the Amnesty. But with neither side able to keep in check its more extremist factions, the future looks decidedly bleak.

All this of course depends on how much stock you put into the ICC lease on Rubi-Ka expiring. There are many who simply do not accept that this will happen and fully expect that Omni will either contrive to get the lease extended again or just defy the ICC over this matter. I very much even Omni-Tek could do that, but we will just have to see.

Savoy

Even though your suggestions are quite brilliant Savoy, unfortunately neither side seems to fully possess the wherewithal to think beyond the present at the future...

So, Abiee...in fact both sides do agree upon something, namely that the ongoing senseless war-mongering is futile in the long run.
    What is to be done, Savoy? Well, even though you present a bleak and pessimistic outlook based on a good analysis of the situation, I prefer to adopt a different outlook. Instead of sitting back, and accept the situation you describe, what we need is a table, some chairs, and visionaries from all sides willing to work for an agreement. You mention rogue factions...elements hellbent on destruction....yes, they are there, but with a combined effort, subjucation should be possible.
    As things stand now, both sides are fighting a war of attrition....which will eventually lead to a breakdown of any order, any governing faction on the planet. Are we willing to sacrifice our existance...our future for this?
    I am not, and will continue to search for an answer. What I see, is what is right infront of me...not some remote power, that has no real knowledge of what happens on this beautiful planet of ours.
    Anthony "Cogs" McDuff
    Veteran, Cerberus
    220 Supreme Creator : Master of Wheels...the lingerie modeling robot!

I would think the priority is not so much to get people from both sides around the table, its more to get people from the same sides around the table. What kind of agreement can be made between Clan and Omni Tek Rubi-Ka when the former have no representative body and the latter are at the mercy of rogue and subversive factions?

Recall the Council of Truth or form an equivalent ruling body for the Clans. And if at the same time OTRK manages to bring it various departmetns and factions back into line then there is a ghost of a chance that meaningfull talks between sides can lead to a better future for everyone.

Savoy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12