Thread: Do you really even need Evades??

Post Do you really even need Evades??

I was wondering...do you really even need evades for PvM? Someone told me you get hit with crits all the time at later lvls if you don't use them. Also, I'm aware that with your AGG slider all the way up, you don't even use your evades. Anyone have any really good insight on this? Thanks.

Evades are very important.

Especially over level 100.

Even in only PvM?

Even with just PvM?

Yes....

With high evades:

Tough Enforcer hits you for 340 points melee damage
    Tough Enforcer hits you for 346 points melee damage
    Tough Enforcer hits you for 350 points melee damage
    Tough Enforcer hits you for 1160 points melee damage
    Tough Enforcer hits you for 340 points melee damage
    Tough Enforcer hits you for 361 points melee damage

With low evades:

It's hard to spot the difference...
    Look closely.

Immensely important.

I'd also add that you're better off with no evades than with half-arsed ones...unless you fight only greys. Meaning: if you can't afford to max Dodge-rng and Evade-clsc (the important ones for PVM...Duck is needed mainly for pvp, tho some mobs do check against it), then max ONE of them and leave the other at zippo. If your evade skill isn't reasonably close to the attacker's attack rating, you won't see any reduction in crits.

Id rather play naked and maxed evades that 5000 AC with no evades.

Meaning: if you can't afford to max Dodge-rng and Evade-clsc (the important ones for PVM...Duck is needed mainly for pvp, tho some mobs do check against it), then max ONE of them and leave the other at zippo. If your evade skill isn't reasonably close to the attacker's attack rating, you won't see any reduction in crits.

That's not entirely true.
    Evade checks are not an all-or-nothing check.
    Even an increase of 50-60 points will produce a noticeable difference... even when fighting high oranges and reds.

When fighting doc/crat/fixer/advent type mobs, mid maxed evades will cut down a lot of crits.
    The attack rating on Enforcer/MS/Soldier type mobs is very high and your evades will have to be much higher to notice a dramatic reduction in crits.

that's not true at all hideo...my engineer recently got his evades up to 300 (at level 140) and vets crit me like half again less than they used to. They still crit me alot...but it's alot less...
    +Tekniker 142 Engineer
    +Xiaopingxu 121 Fixer
    +Stongrel 135 MA
    +Ukkonen 100 Agent
    +Pixelation 79 NT
    The Flying Frog Brigade

yeah they matter, one time i took me soldier out to the eye camp he has 600 in dodge ranged and evade close.. the eyes would only hit me 1/3 swings basically.

its harder to notice when ur fighting a red tho, they generally dont "miss" you, but htey sure dont crit as much.

i thought it was really cool when i saw a fixer with grid mk2 go to shades, aggro the whole camp on himself and he got hit by like 1 of the shades every 5 minutes lol.. they just kept missing.

i teamed once with a lvl 165 fixer with mk3 i think it was , and he could tank aces better then haqim could because the ace would even miss him most of the time.. thats grid armour tho, evades are similar i think.

Grid Armor has good evades but the DMS is incredible.
    MK III has something like 1800 DMS.

Evade checks are not an all-or-nothing check.
    Even an increase of 50-60 points will produce a noticeable difference... even when fighting high oranges and reds.
    Not sure what you mean by "not all or nothing". Either you sustain a crit or you don't, it's a zero-to-one scenario. There is definately a "drop dead point" (<--doh!) in the comparison between your evade and a mob's attack rating, such that if your evade is below value x you're going to get crit-hit every time.

In my experience, I haven't ever seen a noticeable improvement from marginal increases in an evade that's "low" for my level (by "low" I mean, say, less than a quarter of my attack rating...I should've qualified that in my previous). In other words, going from 10 duck to 60 duck...at level 100...isn't going to do a damned thing...that's a rounding error, not an improvement I strongly suspect that this is why so many folks still think they _don't_ work...not seeing an immediate result from incremental changes to already-low skills.

Observations of my regular teammates getting hit seem to bear this out. But again, YMMV...we're all working more on gut feeling here than hard data (which is almost impossible to collect due to all the unknown variables).

Back to the original poster tho: to anyone who claims evades don't work, I'd say "Make a martial artist, max them, and see the difference." It's impossible to not notice

The chance to get a crit is a percentage chance. That percent against you is lowered the higher you have you evade skill. It is not a straight check to see which is higher, attack skill or evade.

That is what is meant by it is not all or nothing. The higher you rasie you skill the less CHANCE you have of being critted.

There is more than one 'level' of crit. If you have real low evades your going to see some really bad numbers, the same goes for 'regular' damage.

Also several mobs attack with Duck, its good to try and raise if not max all three evades.
    Ye Olde and Original Founding is BACK !

Australian Timezone - RK1

I'm pretty sure that Trader mobs check against Duck. Duck was the second-to-last speed skill I maxed after hitting the 162 cap (Dodge/Evade being my first). Before I maxed it, all other mobs were getting their normal hits mostly with the odd Crit, yet most Traders chewed me up good

And speaking from the other side of the heals, you can certainly tell when a teammate hasn't got very good Evades

Dest

Tell me about it, nothing annoys me more as a doc than having a team member who hasn't bothered to invest in heals.

It means the Docotr has to heal more often, heal large amounts of health and generate ALOT of aggro.

This can be avoided by investing in decent evades.
    Ye Olde and Original Founding is BACK !

Australian Timezone - RK1

Originally posted by Arterous
    Id rather play naked and maxed evades that 5000 AC with no evades.
    I'll take your word for it no need to be undressing...

/me Covers Eyes

Evades, while useful are not as useful as they could be.

1) You will most likely very very rarely evade a mob attack
    2) PvP - Crit buffs, making evades pretty much dead IP.

But they are nice to have.
    Don't be lonely anymore.

Look at your post, now back at mine. Now back to your post, now back at mine. Sadly, yours isn't mine, but if you stopped trolling and started posting legitimate comments it could look like mine. Look down, back up, where are you? You're scrolling through posts, reading the posts your posts could look like. Back at mine, it's a reply saying something you want to hear. Look again, my reply is now diamonds. Anything is possible when you think before you post.

Originally posted by MiKEBoND
    Evades, while useful are not as useful as they could be.

1) You will most likely very very rarely evade a mob attack
    2) PvP - Crit buffs, making evades pretty much dead IP.

But they are nice to have.
    I've head talk that MA crit buffs were going to be self only for PvP.

Tahtd be damn, damn good.. but it's wishful thinkers like me that probably started that rumour :|
    Don't be lonely anymore.

Look at your post, now back at mine. Now back to your post, now back at mine. Sadly, yours isn't mine, but if you stopped trolling and started posting legitimate comments it could look like mine. Look down, back up, where are you? You're scrolling through posts, reading the posts your posts could look like. Back at mine, it's a reply saying something you want to hear. Look again, my reply is now diamonds. Anything is possible when you think before you post.

Originally posted by CocoClown
    I'm pretty sure that Trader mobs check against Duck. Duck was the second-to-last speed skill I maxed after hitting the 162 cap (Dodge/Evade being my first). Before I maxed it, all other mobs were getting their normal hits mostly with the odd Crit, yet most Traders chewed me up good

And speaking from the other side of the heals, you can certainly tell when a teammate hasn't got very good Evades

Dest
    Yes trader mobs check against duck now, I am pretty sure this was changed very recently tho, because they didnt before.