Thread: Let us /assist guards in 75% zones

Let us /assist guards in 75% zones

I'm really tired of sitting around and having to watch uber-twinked 14 year olds kill my side's guards in and near cities and towns! How about giving us the ability to target the guard being attacked and give an /assist command to help him attack the pre-pubescent in question?

Scorus

How about making every zone 0%.

Snarf
    Snarf: Level 165 Atrox NT

"At one time you were maybe a little useful Snarf. Now you're just being annoying." -- Hawkman

"Well one guy said Atrox was the worst breed for the NT. The other guy said......'You tell that to Snarf....he'll kick your arse!' You are a NT Rockstar!" -- Hemicuda

"Snarf, Snerf, Nerf. It's YOU that brought nerf to NT's you you!" -- Rhayden

"Snarf cuts to the core of the problem like a chainsaw to a bunny rabbit." -- Deaddreamer

What does it matter if someone kills the guards? They give no exp or loot, and respawn within seconds. If someone is bored, and feels like pretending they can invade tir or something, why not let them? They're not really doing you any harm, and it's not like they can actually *do* anything to the city, so what's the harm?

Besides. If people who were attacked by guards were attackable, you'd have people camping city entrances for non-aligned people, and insta-ganking them as they zoned in and got attacked. Fun.

The problem

If someone were trying to invade Tir or something, the residents of Tir or whereever who were able to wield guns would surely fire alongside their guards.

And if I were bored, unless I were Hagar the Horrible, I wouldn't decide to just go invade Tir or whatever, I might actually do something constructive to advance myself or my cause.

Hell, I'd probably turn off the game and read a book if the game were boring me to the point that I had to annoy other players by attacking their guards.

Nifty idea....

Maybe they should uberize the guards a bit and make the main cities 25%. Would make things a bit more interesting.

Originally posted by Miir
    Nifty idea....

Maybe they should uberize the guards a bit and make the main cities 25%. Would make things a bit more interesting.
    Yeah for the ubertwinked speedhack using campers....
    I miss LadyE.

Bump

I like the idea - mainly for RP reasons.

In "RL" if I walked down the street and saw 2 cops jumped by thugs out of nowhere, would I run to get help? Would I try to help them myself? Or would I sit there like an idiot helpless and not do a damn thing.

The answer would of course be A or B [assuming there isnt another side to the story I witnessed]. I want to /assist our guards when appropriate. And I do not even LIKE PvP!! It just makes sense though.

I almost agree with Snarf sometimes I wish it was 0% even though I dont like PvP, but a guard /assist option would go a long way to helping things.

I suspect code wise this would get messy as it would mean we are consenting to PvP in a otherwise non PvP zone. Hence, each player would need a toggle flag for a "go" or "no go" status on PvP. People firing on guards get flipped to "go", and my targeting the guard and typing /assist flips mine to "go" as well, allowing me to target and attack.

If someone attacks a guard aligned to their side, they should flip to a neutral status temporarily hence omni can attack rogue omni attacking omni guards this would be a big help during events.

Av.
    Last edited by Avatarius; Mar 20th, 2002 at 00:05:03.

just make city guards hit for 5k like the enhanced sharks do in athens (got curious) make it so anyone steping in thats on wrong faction is creamed instant like. Now if you want to have a gm event where a city is raided then just repop weak guards. im really tired of omni hanging out in tir, its just stupid. Like i said in another post its like an American during World War 2 going to Berlin and running around waving a US flag in the air, no sense involved.

Melbringi 85 Clan Fixer RK2

Oh yes. Let those able and willing help guards defend their territory. Let us heal them, buff them and assist them by killing their attackers.

That includes traitors killing guards on their own side.
    Seid. Clan Nano Technician, Atlantean
    Proud member of Opposing Force ( Website )
    Seid's Hideout : Home of the Friends List Tool
    I would like to see a mail system in AO, for letters, money and goods, and with mail order !

Why does attacking an Npc guard make you a 14 year old? Is it childish? NO. Is it something to do/test damage on? YES (More than likely). Goto MMD and ya know the guard by the exit point? Tell me every person that attacks it throught the day is 14 or less.. That guard gets attacked about 1000times a day and most people do it purely to pass the time/test their damage.

So STFU quit whining for more pointless crap for FC to do, let them get on with proper things.

lol

Originally posted by Melbringi
    just make city guards hit for 5k like the enhanced sharks do in athens (got curious)
    lol You too eh? I was a bit surprised.. I think the first enhanced shark I tried to melee with my enforcer. wooot.. that was exciting for a few seconds at least

I think it would be cool to have events where.. one area of a faction was lowered to 25% for like a half hour and then have some GM's inspire the opposite faction to attack. LIke have a few GM's lead an attack after gathering people in a city. That would really be awesome.. and have a message broadcast saying "Omni Trade is under attack! Defend or flee!" or something.

Then we would have some "real" invasions.
    Shattered Dreams
    http://www.shattereddreams.org

Originally posted by Drak
    What does it matter if someone kills the guards? They give no exp or loot, and respawn within seconds. If someone is bored, and feels like pretending they can invade tir or something, why not let them? They're not really doing you any harm, and it's not like they can actually *do* anything to the city, so what's the harm?

I think his point is he would have fun defending his city. Simple as that.
    Chris "Councilor" Sandine
    In statesmanship, get the formalities right; never mind about the moralities.
    1. An official of a bureaucracy.
    2. An official who is rigidly devoted to the details of administrative procedure.

Exclamation I would like this implemented too!

I have tried on a few occasions to heal the Guards while they were being attacked but get the same message as when I accidentally have a monster targeted when I heal.

From an RP perspective, it makes sense that I would be able to aid them in some way. I can understand not letting me attack their attackers (from a code perspective and Drak makes a good point about gankers waiting at zones for someone to be attacked by guards), but at least let me heal them!

Skara

And can we please stop having GM-controlled NPC guards of our own side indiscriminately slaughtering everyone around them during "events?" Just because a dozen people are attacking guards doesn't mean everyone deserves to die. Area-effect nanos stink... there's a thing called "guns," learn to use them.
    THEOREM:
    Omni Bureaucrats work for "The Man."
    "The Man" is the >190 Fixer title.
    Ergo, Phillip Ross is a Fixer.
    -QED-

This fix would only encourage griefing. As stated earlier people would just camp exits again to bypass the timer and zone safety issues. For something that does no harm does not deserve a change like this to cause so much harm.

Originally posted by NikkiDial
    This fix would only encourage griefing. As stated earlier people would just camp exits again to bypass the timer and zone safety issues. For something that does no harm does not deserve a change like this to cause so much harm.
    Just make the /assist command not possible during the grace period also. That's easy for me to say since I don't have to code it, of course. If this would be very difficult then don't do it. If it wouldn't, then I would like to see it.

And I like the idea of us being able to better defend our borders from intrusion by the other side anyway. Though the grace period is absolutely necessary.

Scorus

The game was much more enjoyable when players were actually afraid of the guards. The fact that guards are now viewed as little more than yellow MOB's to a growing percentage of the population is a problem. Guard killing in most areas serves no useful purpose. In fact in certain areas like the 20K outpost, the battle spam from people killing the guard and Milo Chatter has in fact lead to more than one link death in an already highly unstable zone.

Perhaps leave the guards as they are and install some cannons like at the west Old Athen gate and those that guard the rail guns in Clon****. If not feasible then just triple the guard HP and damage in those areas where this issue is becoming a problem.

I personally, would like to see some order restored in the major cites of Newland, Athen, 20K, Omni, etc.

Leave the guard ganking for 'fun' in 2HO and the outlying areas.

give the guards a group memory

I think it is reasonable for guards to have a 2 week memory, if someone attacks a guard, the guard reports this in. After that any guards of the given side that see said player, call in reinforcements and take him down!

I would be good for guards to be respected more!