Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Updated Love/Hate: How to tell which profession to play

Updated Love/Hate: How to tell which profession to play

I put this up for a while and the only response I got seemed to like it. So either people just didn't read or nobody found anything to complain about. Too late now.

I simply edited the first thread with current information, so thanks to Brad for doing it in the first place.

-----------------------------------

Every profession has its ups and downs. If you choose to play ...

AN ADVENTURER:

What You're Going to Love: Shapeshifting into so many cool forms, each of which has its own cool abilities. Being able to heal yourself during combat. Attacking so fast that the other guy gets half his attacks interrupted.

What You're Going to Hate: Soooo many nice abilities, so little IP to go around to them all. Finding half your morphs impractical, and the other half are likely to irritate your eyes in missions with strange bobbing motions.

AN AGENT:

What You're Going to Love: Having most of all of nano software in the game available to you and having profession locked items not be so locked to you. But even more than that, the awesome rush of power that comes from appearing literally out of nowhere. Seeing a 10,000 damage aimed shot for the first time. Seeing the words "Critical Hit", several hits in a row for impressive amounts of damage.

What You're Going to Hate: The other 99% of the time, when the target sees you before you can fire aimed shot, or turns out to have more health or armor than you anticipated, so they survive that first volley. Then, if your "root" attack fails, you get torn apart like a stewed chicken. Doing too much damage and having the target live, realizing that while you can dish it out you just can't take hits back.

A BUREAUCRAT:

What You're Going to Love: The incredible independence that comes from being able to handle any size crowd of monsters or NPCs. The even more amazing rush of power that you feel when you combine long charm and short charm, and have two of your enemies following you around doing your bidding and slaughtering their former friends. Your evil cackling laugh in team missions when you cast "area calm" and every hostile creature in the mission falls asleep. Demoralizing your oppoents at a tower battle by area rooting them all to one spot.

What You're Going to Hate: Seeing that words "targeted was unaffected by" your crowd control methods on much of any new content. Realizing that after you've rooted and init debuffed everyone on the battlefield, you still have to rely on other people to kill them.

A DOCTOR:

What You're Going to Love: No one in history has every been more popular, being the hero that keeps everyone alive. Being able to find a team whenever you wish.

What You're Going to Hate: No one in history has ever been so helpless on their own, or more readily blamed by others when things go wrong. Hassled by players who ALWAYS want you to team with them or give them a buff.

AN ENFORCER:

What You're Going to Love: Having more "hit points" than God and more armor than a planet. The squishing noise everything else in the game makes when you hit it. Seeing white all the way around an agent's or fixer's eyes when you "Rage" out of his "root," before you squash him like a bug. Being almost as popular as a Doctor. Being one of the most popular professions for teaming and one of the best professions for soloing.

What You're Going to Hate: Having all those taunting tools but unable to control the monsters from targeting everyone else anyways. But even more than that, when Rage fails to break the "root" and you stand there crying like a baby while some agent or fixer chops you down like a tree, from well outside of your reach.

AN ENGINEER:

What You're Going to Love: Big Robots that tank for you and do loads of damage without you having to step into getting hit range. And forcefields that give you (and your 'bot) even more armor than the Enforcers have. And getting paid by a quarter of the planet to fix or upgrade their weapons or install the nanoclusters in their cyberware implants.

What You're Going to Hate: Running out of suppression gas, even for a minute, and getting wadded up like a paper napkin by player characters not much more than half your level - even Bureaucrats. Feeling the need to beg for buffs in order to feel competitive whether its soloing, teaming, or tradeskilling. Having to level up high to be desirable for most tradeskills and having to search for 101 rare tradeskill items along the way.

A FIXER:

What You're Going to Love: Submachineguns, just about the perfect compromise weapon, fast and deadly. Using run buffs and grid phreaking to get to and from missions in half the time everybody else takes. Blitzing missions at far above your level to get uber loot and filthy rich. Using a blazing lockpick to ninja loot your way through team missions. Being one of the most popular professions for teams because of your NCU, speed, and damage. Never having to die whether in missions or PvP because you can almost always grid evac away.

What You're Going to Hate: Grid armor if you don't have it and how many people seem to hate you for it if you do. Oh, and the fact that other fixers' ninja looting makes you about as popular as a leper, with halitosis, on fire. Being the most popular profession means you'll be about as unique as a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

A MARTIAL ARTIST:

What You're Going to Love: Being able to do almost anything in this game except tradeskills, heal yourself while doing it, and do it all so cheap that you can wipe your nether region with wadded up credits. Kicking butt, and looking stylish doing it.

What You're Going to Hate: Just as bad as the Enforcer, when you get rooted from 20 meters' range and "Dance of the Pink Cabbage in a November Wind" fails to break the root, you get effortlessly killed by laughing little children. Watching your nano formula bar recharge when you desperately need to get off one more team heal.

A META-PHYSICIST:

What You're Going to Love: Pets that do every part of the mission for you except collect the loot. You just float there in mid air ('cause you can fly!), holding your unique and stylish summoned weapons, at any busy intersection and being the center of attention. Being constantly busy in combat with 101 different strategies and techniques available to try. Being able to heal and do damage at the same time without entering combat yourself makes you one of the best soloing professions.

What You're Going to Hate: "My next summon-pet nano costs how much?" Having three quarters of the planet constantly begging you for buffs or to build their implants, even when you're trying to do something else. Realizing that all these people asking for buffs from you are going to refuse to let you into their team because they think MP = weakling. Realizing that half your nano formulas are bugged beyond functionality and have been that way forever without sign of being fixed. Then running out of suppression gas, even for a minute, and getting wadded up like a paper napkin by player characters not much more than half your level - even Engineers. Realizing that while others plan on having fun all the way to 200 (soon to be 220), your MP is effectively finished at level 150.

A NANO TECHNICIAN:

What You're Going to Love: Big Nukes. You take a long wind-up, right in front of most targets, while they stand there stupidly watching you, and then you blow away almost half their health in one shot. Plus lots of other cool little nano effects, like calms, and team teleports, Nano Programming buffs,
    and temporary invincibility. Plus if you love Mass PvP, using area nukes means you'll launch PvP titles so fast you'll forget that character names don't normally have titles like "novice" prefixed to them.

What You're Going to Hate: All the times after that Big Nuke when your follow-up attack fails or gets interrupted, leaving you plinking away helplessly at an angry enemy that still has half its health as it effortlessly chews you up and spits out your tiny little fragile bones. Realizing that so much power concentrated in your nanoskills leaves you almost helpless if you get hit with nanoskill debuffs. Having to kill a dozen super tough unique mobs that require several teams to get any of your high level abilities.

A SOLDIER:

What You're Going to Love: Big Guns. Lots of Big Guns. And flame throwers. And grenade launchers. And machine guns. And chain guns. And auto-fire shotguns. Having more armor than a mountain. Total Mirror Shields on top of that, the next best thing to total invincibility. Being almost as popular as an Enforcer.

What You're Going to Hate: Blue nano skills mean that that Total Mirror Shield takes just a teensy bit longer to get than you were hoping ... like, "forever." That, and, "My next gun costs how much?" And spending more on ammunition than a Martial Artist spends on clothes. Plus being unable to heal means that after that shields runs out you're something's lunch if a doc isn't nearby healing you.

A TRADER:

What You're Going to Love: Massive self-only Comp Lit buffs mean near-infinte NCU memory. Add to this Ransack Skills and Deprive Skills. Congratulations, your shotgun skill just went through the roof; go ahead and self-equip a QL200 shotgun at level 40. A soon as you Ransack and Deprive him, the other guy's got a bad case of Combat Disfunction. For the next two minutes, nothing he does will do better than half damage. Bwa ha ha.

What You're Going to Hate: "Near-infinite NCU memory" costs enough to give you a nosebleed. Not being able to spare ANY IP points for tradeskills until much much later in the game. People insisting you give them buffs at the most inconvenient times and being rather ungrateful for it.

SO HOW DO YOU DECIDE?

Go over the list above. If the "What You're Going to Hate" part makes you especially queasy, cross that profession off the list. Then go back over the ones that are left, and look for the "What You're Going to Love" that sounds the most exciting. Then try playing that!

Edits: Spelling and Grammar
    Last edited by Sallust; Aug 1st, 2003 at 07:51:48.
    Clan Elder of The Pilgrims

Yay! It's back! Rwar!

Taken From Fixer Section and it's all true!!!
    What You're Going to Hate: Grid armor if you don't have it and hw many people seem to hate you for it if you do. Oh, and the fact that other fixers' ninja looting makes you about as popular as a leper, with halitosis, on fire. Being the most popular profession means you'll be about as unique as a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.
    Taken From Fixer Section and it's all true!!!
    Last edited by Sinnlife; Jul 31st, 2003 at 03:13:38.
    Support the Social Aspects!!

I'm not a b!tch, I just don't like your opinion.

Thanks for taking on my challange Sallust

That little bear of yours terrorized me into doing it.

Actually the old list was a great one and evidently a lot of people used it. But I frequently got tells in-game because it gave some newbies misconceptions because of outdated info.

This will hopefully keep them safe for at least the next month and a half.

Re: Updated Love/Hate: How to tell which profession to play

Originally posted by Sallust
    A MARTIAL ARTIST:

What You're Going to Love: Being able to do almost anything in this game except tradeskills, heal yourself while doing it, and do it all so cheap that you can wipe your nether region with wadded up credits. Kicking butt, and looking stylish doing it.

What You're Going to Hate: Just as bad as the Enforcer, when you get rooted from 20 meters' range and "controlled destruction" fails to break the root, you get effortlessly killed by laughing little children. Watching your nano formula bar recharge when you desperately need to get off one more team heal.
    "Controlled destruction" won't break the root. Wave of Summer is it, unless you can live long enough to break it with stims. And then they'll just re-root you.
    My Main - Actionpete of the Red Tigers

And with one sweeping blow, Letah pwns everyone. :-D - Razishlyat, Nano Regen rate

The Shadowlands Perk System - "Are you feeling perky yet?"

On the Shadowlands Perk System:-
    Originally posted by OneChrisN
    Frankly we don't know anyting about it other that it's there and Enforcers can kick people in the nuts.

Heh heh, I was wondering about that part but I don't play a MA anymore and I didn't write that (stole it from the original author). I'll fix it now though.

It's true. Grinning hunter is possibly one of the most amazing self-only combat buffs you'll get at 70-80, but everytime you attack the camera bounces around like a mouse hopped up on mountain dew. Did I mention that with grinning hunter activated, you can combo lesser lick wounds and a normal adv heal to instantly recover half your hp? That dang camera still annoys me, though.
    Eldenano, my rebirth as an NT, in addition to a class I really like playing. Win.

Just filling in a bit

AN AGENT:

What You're Going to Love: Having most of all of nano software ((except most of the useful nanos, agents are restricted from using fixer long duration hots, fixer grid and high level MP heal pets for example)) in the game available to you and having profession locked items ((of course all the best stuff is still locked from us to reduce The Whining(tm) )) not be so locked to you. But even more than that, the awesome rush of power that comes from appearing literally out of nowhere. Seeing a 10,000 damage aimed shot ((at which point that big enf will run up to you and press you on the floor with his thumb)) for the first time. Seeing the words "Critical Hit", several hits in a row ((see previous )) for impressive amounts of damage.

What You're Going to Hate: The other 99% of the time, when the target sees you before you can fire aimed shot ((with maxed out concealment and ruse line its rather 1% of mobs that see you, and those are advs with lucky perception buff running)) , or turns out to have more health or armor than you anticipated, so they survive that first volley. Then, if your "root" attack fails, you get torn apart like a stewed chicken. Doing too much damage and having the target live, realizing that while you can dish it out you just can't take hits ((Though mainly a post level 100 problem when you cant afford IP to raise evades)) back.

Originally posted by Refard
    It's true. Grinning hunter is possibly one of the most amazing self-only combat buffs you'll get at 70-80, but everytime you attack the camera bounces around like a mouse hopped up on mountain dew. Did I mention that with grinning hunter activated, you can combo lesser lick wounds and a normal adv heal to instantly recover half your hp? That dang camera still annoys me, though.

the bobbing camera is a quick fix, just hit f10, click the misc menu button and check the "use nobob camera" button. Its as easy as that. However it doesn't stop your head from going through a wall everytime your in a confined space :/

omg, I really fell off the chair when I read through the thread, AWSOME description... couldn't have put it better myself!

Originally posted by Sallust
    AN ENFORCER:

What You're Going to Love: Having more "hit points" than God and more armor than a planet.
    worthy for entering the signature!
    Last edited by Tnekmeister; Sep 29th, 2003 at 11:29:50.

*falls off chair laughing*

Bwahahahaaaa! So true! So hilarious! Fantastic!

*falls off the floor laughing*

I know shadowlands changed things a lot (like agents being the top damage dealers for instance)...

Can someone post what changed for all the classes?

More importantly, i read some post somewhere that said that with shadowlands everyone basically has a "special skill", the thing that profession is really good at that noone else can do as well, and these things apparently changed for SL, and got more extreme...can someone tell this poor noob about that too?

Update?

Can we get an update on this?? Don't see Shades here.. Any other professions missing??
    -Tinvalli
    TinvalliShade - Setup
    NewcastleTrader
    Achiever 73%, Killer 66%, Explorer 40%, Socializer 20%
    Tin's Buff Spreadsheet

Too soon for an update IMO. Shadowlands has been out a month and a half and its still being heavily adjusted and balanced. The Shade/Keeper professions are still in "trial" mode as people learn how to play them.

It would be like writing a profession review at SL release... those were all jokes. Go find the old AO guide book if you dare.

*whistles innocently while reading the trader description*

Aha.
    Gontrokka 155 Enforcer
    When the going gets tough, the others start running!

Captain Baxie Orbin 204 Trader
    - Baby, you look good enough to eat!

Countezz 23 Adventurer
    - Who'd have thought a Steve Irwin wannabe could kick so much ass!

"Baby, you look good enough to eat!"

Unrooting thread. Adding to Newcomer FAQ thread.
    ARK Community Relations Forums Oracle Guardian

~Forums Social Guidelines~

~Advisors of Rubi-Ka Website~

How about updating this great post for the Keeper class?

I'm ready to update this for the Shade and Keeper professions i believe. But I'm seeking input from people who've played them and gotten to know them better than me.

If you'd like to contribute on Shades, then please go to this thread

If you'd like to contribute on Keepers, then please go to this thread.

How come this isn't r-BUMP!!

oh, pardon me!

As I was saying, how come this isn't rooted any more?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast