Thread: Noobie guide to decoding AO speak

Noobie guide to decoding AO speak

Ever wonder what people mean when they say all that stuff in missions? Have no fear, this handy guide will clue you in to what people are really saying. (This guide brought to you from the point of view of the ENF, inspired by my last week of AO).

1. Ok, we're going to take all rights: This is an instruction from the tank, telling you, when you get lost, or come back from AFK to get a beer, make sure to just wander around aimlessly for a while, and stick your head in a few doors to make sure the team isn't in there fighting, or better yet a TREASURE chest you can loot. Everyone knows the best loot is in chest, and this is a great opportunity to get your share.

2. Please stay behind me and let me pull: This is just a tanks way of trying to act brave in the face of danger, they really would prefer if you were always the first one into a room, it shows you've got gumption and initiative, something all tanks respect and admire. This is especially true if you charge in first to rooms with multiple mobs, and if it happens to be a BIG room, with lots of little side rooms with mobs in them as well, this is your chance to really shine, and show that you are a good puller too, and can pull just as many, if not MORE mobs than the tank can. Once again, tanks really respect this kind of bravado.

3. Hold please, my bio is dominated: This is tankspeak for *I'm debuffed and won't be able to cast mongo and I need to clear it*.
    This is another excellent opportunity to go scouting for those chests, make sure to make good use of this valuable downtime!!!
    After all, treasure won't find it's way into your inventory by magic.
    If you happen to pick up a few stray mobs on the way, it's no problem, you have an enforcer in your group!!! Enforcers have so many different ways to taunt, one of them being down won't even effect them, it also can provide a bit of fun and challenge for the docs who are probably bored at this point, because Enforcers are so tough they rarely even need any kind of healing. Having other party members get involved in the tanking also makes the game more fun for them!!!!

4. Please assist me: This is the tank asking you to use the /assist command. Now this is fine for noobies, but real team players know it's far better to take some initiative, and deal with a different mob. This is especially true if you have a calmer in your group, as they get very bored just calming a mob once, and their calms never fail so you are once again making the game just a little more fun for them. Yet again, you help to relieve the boredom of playing a doc, by giving them more than one target to focus on for heals. ANY good doc will tell you it gets boring healing the same person over and over.

5. Please don't loot chests/open boxes etc during fights: Well this one should be pretty obvious...even to noobies. EVERYONE knows that tanks are greedy, and what they really want is that loot for themselves, and they just can't get it because they are busy at the moment. DON'T be taken in by this obvious ploy. Looting chests during a fight is the BEST way to insure you get your fair share of the loot in missions. SO WHAT if you get a few more adds or a bomb goes off? That what mongo and docs are for.

6. Please wait in this room with the door shut: Some tanks like to split multiple mobs by pulling them out of a room, and then hitting the lift down to the floor below. It's easy then to come back up the lift and only pull one mob to your group. Well that's all well and good, but what MOST tanks are really doing is looting those chests that you missed, and taking what is rightfully yours, once again DON'T be fooled by this. Make sure to follow the tank and keep an eye on them. Or better yet, use this time to go find your own mobs to pull, or the always popular treasure hunt.

7. Turret, gonna pull the mob: This is short for *There is a turret in that room and I don't think I can tank it, so I'll tank the mob out here in hallway, while you deal with the turret. Once again docs will love you for this, as they get more than one person to have fun with. Everyone knows tanks don't like turrets, so save them the embarrasment of having to admit it in group chat, and just go tank it yourself. You will PROBABLY even get a tell from the tank thanking you for not embarassing them in front of the group.

8. Nano stim me if you can during boss fight: Tanks generally don't have a lot of nano to spare, and they usually have gimped their nano pools by training stuff like B & E, (so they can loot more of YOUR chests). So they are asking YOU to take up the slack.....you heard right..they want you to spend YOUR hard earned cash buying nano stims on THEM. Once again, a clear case of the greedy tank, don't be fooled, and don't waste those precious stims, YOU may need them once you get agro/and or pull your own mob!!! Do you think the tank is gonna nano stim you when you need it??!?!?! NOT likely.

There are some advanced tactics, but this is the noobie guide, so I'll keep it short. These are the major points of AO speak that you will encounter most from day to day. Just keep your eyes on the prize, and you'll turn out to be a great team player like most of the other people in AO!!!!

Best of luck and good treasure hunting!!!!

/applause

This is great, I'll post a link to it on our guilds forum!
    Quote Originally Posted by Primakoff
    You can never deal enough damage to OD even the most average role-player 220 soldier with the right gun, so taunts are your only hope.
    I want to tank The Beast with nothing but a chair and a Concrete Cushion FFS!

9. Camera, stay away from the door and I'll pull sentry. Don't get fooled by this nonsense, an order as easily understandable as this is clearly just another tank ploy for more loot. Everyone knows sentries give good exp, and the more people camera sees the more sentries you get. You will get lots of thanks for pulling few extra level 250 sentries to shoot the doc. I mean, docs have endless nanopool and they can CH themselves - nothing can kill them.
    Sutojah + other random gimps

Re: Noobie guide to decoding AO speak

Originally posted by Ultrazen

2. Please stay behind me and let me pull: This is just a tanks way of trying to act brave in the face of danger, they really would prefer if you were always the first one into a room, it shows you've got gumption and initiative, something all tanks respect and admire. This is especially true if you charge in first to rooms with multiple mobs, and if it happens to be a BIG room, with lots of little side rooms with mobs in them as well, this is your chance to really shine, and show that you are a good puller too, and can pull just as many, if not MORE mobs than the tank can. Once again, tanks really respect this kind of bravado.
    So thaaats what happens! I wondered why when I say "Pulling" everyone decides to bring me things all at once. Neatly wrapped in with a pretty bow, just like a birthday party. I need to go back and write out thankyew cards to all these folks.

ROFLMAO!!!

And here I though I had a good idea how stuff was supposed to be done after playing AO for 18 months. Thanks for the heads up! I got it all wrong!
    Best regards,
    Kanatach
    Kanatinka
    Kanataz

"This existance of ours is as transient as autumn clouds
    To watch the birth and death of beings is like looking at the movements of a dance
    A lifetime is a flash of lightning in the sky
    Rushing by, like a torrent down a steep mountain."

wos this a lazy flame for the new ppl named n00bs ?

This can't be said enough: If you want the tank to actually tank, make sure you get that first hit on the mobs. Now with mongo being broken and all, the best way to ensure that the tank can do his job, is to fire off that AS before he even enters the room. And do a /moon at the mob while you're at it, it will be so pissed off it can't fight you and swich to the tank instead.
    Eisenhower TL6 Crat on the rise again
    Bigbeefer TL6 Enforcer, now retired

Nealandbob Headbasher Burninsword-RK1
    Deathfyst Tonofbricks -RK2
    Tonofbricks Nealandbob -RK Test embracing my inner Brat
    Finally back from Iraq
    Enforcers ONLY vote here!
    WoW-Pahani, Skywall/Horde and Barthilas/Horde
    "A good Enforcer dies a lot"-Deng
    "FC didn't create Enforcers, Deng did" -Tza

Uhmm.
    A few things said here in this thread can be... corrected.

Lol, that doc thread is fantastic

rofl d:p
    chars.
    220 enfa
    220 doca
    220 keepa
    220 shada
    220 engia
    220 crata
    200 ma/fixa/nta/enfa

im proud to say i ones was advisor in Apocalypse and Dictator in Forsaken!
    captain smek irl! "Timelapse: I'll never forget Smekkes the soviet"
    aka bakerman
    smek!

STICKY PLEASE
    Nealandbob Headbasher Burninsword-RK1
    Deathfyst Tonofbricks -RK2
    Tonofbricks Nealandbob -RK Test embracing my inner Brat
    Finally back from Iraq
    Enforcers ONLY vote here!
    WoW-Pahani, Skywall/Horde and Barthilas/Horde
    "A good Enforcer dies a lot"-Deng
    "FC didn't create Enforcers, Deng did" -Tza

And don't forget, when an ARK asks you to do something, don't do it! He's really just trying to get you killed so you can lose XP, which they never reimburse even if it's due to a server crash!

(Please don't make me tell you that I'm joking.)
    Advisor Irongryphon
    Forums Moderator

Forums Social Guidelines
    ARK Public Website

Originally posted by Irongryphon
    And don't forget, when an ARK asks you to do something, don't do it! He's really just trying to get you killed so you can lose XP, which they never reimburse even if it's due to a server crash!

(Please don't make me tell you that I'm joking.)
    u aren't joking right?

i just stupidly listened to everything he said. no wonder i lost 900 billion xp the other day.

damn!

LOOK. IM EDITING *EDIT* *EDIT* *EDIT *EDIT* ----- did you see this before when you first refreshed????? no...
    does it have the edit flag on it?.... no

Just gave this a reread and it's as funny as ever. Worth reading again and a bump for those who missed it the first time around.
    Guide to Teaming With Docs! is the funniest post ever. | "Engie Got Bot" song spoof
    AO chat log of Titanic sinking is the second funniest post ever

No matter how many levels I gain, the Lag Monster is always red to me.

Currently playing The Secret World.

Really glad you bumped this .....made me laugh so hard.

Megabear

rofl, funny as hell, but scary some parts of that actually happened in the 1 to 150 strech.
    Faeruithir 220 enf Dark Ones- active
    Ludaacris 207 keeper Dark ones -stripped and retired

Originally posted by Glarawyn
    Some nanomages are actually attractive, while others hit every branch on the way down when they fell out of the ugly tree. (Atrox on the other hand are uprooting the ugly tree and hitting eachother with it)