Thread: Implant 'overequip' suggested fix?

Implant 'overequip' suggested fix?

Ok, Implants are one of the major things Funcom didn't like being 'overequipped'.

How would folks feel about this change?

Make implants NOT require treatment (or minimal treatment) to install, but change the 'stat' requirement to be your 'true', unmodified stat. (The game has to know this anyway, to figure out how many IP to charge for a raise).

So, to do a QL 90 Implant, your real, no-buffs, no-implants Stat must be 184.

Instant fixed cap on how high a QL you can equip.

Of course, you might talk about the multiplier of QL to stat, but this general idea allows control without worrying about 'laddering implants', etc.

aye

I've always been one who thought: use *true* stats for everything but add implant values. That way, you have to have the true stats to get the implant implanted, but once you've got it, you benefit from it's effects. I think FC wanted to do something like this before, but got flamed enormously and pulled out. Maybe they just need to give a LOT of notice, so people can adapt. Say, a month or so. A month to get your character into a situation where the equipped gear is useable based on true+implant stats and that implants are useable based on true stats. Do that as opposed to "we're implementing this tomorrow, hope you can make do"

Some people might say "but that will wreck buff needs". Not to me. I've always felt imho that buffs are for combat and travel, thats all. If there are any buffs in the game that do nothing for combat or travel and are ONLY useful for overequipping, I havent seen them.
    Slivicon
    Atrox Soldier RK1
    Squad Commander
    Omni-InterOps
    "You can't just talk to people anymore. You have to hit them in the head with a sledge hammer. Then you'll see that you have their strict attention." -Kevin Spacey in Seven

Film director extraordinairre RandaZ's Avatar
    Just so the voice of the over-equipping whiners don't drown out all others... I'm going to chirp in and say I wholeheartedly agree with this more than reasonable suggestion of making implants tied to directly to your base stats, especially if Funcom gives us at least a one month warning. I'll admit that I did overequip myself in the past, but I am more than willing to do this for the sake of game balance.

Tappert
    Slotine Zembower
    R.U.R. Member (RK1)

Tappert Solminski
    Tailor of Rome-Blue (RK1) [currently MIA]

Unhappy

People did´t always complain that they wanted to limit eqipment, but how they was about to do it.

With MOBs insane power and regeneration we need to equip higher QL equipment, but all funcom suggeated was to make ALL equipment that you don´t have skills or stats for unequip the moment you no longer have the requirement. That is all armor, weapons, computer decks/NCU crystals and other items you wear.

This would have been a catastrof for most players to have to reeqip every item, and maybe suddenly be without armor in a fight when it unequip.

We did try to give some other ways to limit equipment, but as usual Funcom descided that if it was not going to be their way we could forget it (sorry but it is a sad point in Funcom history as they totly ignored any other suggestion).

I´m among those that still think that a lvl rquirement for equipment should be added, even if I have started to overequip to compensate for the curent unbalance. It is a bit rediculus when you use one set of implants just to put on a high lvl armor and then replace them with the normal sets to get bonus to skills. Oh well, untill Funcom put some effort into the problem I guess I will coninue with this rediculus methods to be able to play the game.

I think alot of the fun is finding and trying to get items that are high level and then finding a way to use them. It encourages interaction with other players and another aspect to the game besides hunting and missions.
    The whole point it seems to me is character improvement and nerfing our abitlity to improve our characters seems ridiculous. If you want to nerf the weapons, armor, nanos or whatever..that's one thing. But don't nerf player strategy.

Just want to clarify something, are we on about that bug where you could add an infinite, well, alot of Treament and people using that to get really good implants in?

If so, I think yes! its a good idea, if it was not supposed to be then make it so.

I am in infact getting myself a whole new set of Implants specialy done by a good doc for a hefty price but worth it, will take alot of time but, worth it.

As for the Unequiping of armor weapons etc, wel,l tey are not supposed to really wear that, end.

Go FC!

No.

I don't think Funcom cares about 'overequipping' implants, I just think they want you to pay for it. Maxing treatment every level is basically required. This provides an advantage to three profs (fixer, advent, doctor). A major advantage. I spent thousands upon thousands of IP I could have spent elsewhere, which many of my friends have already done. (lvl 115 bureaucrat with maxed treatment, compare to other people my lvl with 200-300 treatment casue they chose to max evades or weaponskills or nanoskills).

I'm tired of heaing about over equipping to be honest. I don't believe in it. I believe in getting the best possible equipment you can. Sometimes this is rather expensive, especially for some professions.

If you're annoyed about someone else 'over equipping', tell me why? Especially with the no more one shot kills in pvp. Anyone can do what you call over equipping.. And at the high end, it's a way of life.

I worked rather hard getting my new QL150 implants. Between doing the missions myself for (about 20 or so gameplay hours) them, buying the clusters for them (roughly 1.5 million creds, another 4 gameplay hoursl [had the money from all thsoe QL150 missions, it took 4 hours to find the clusters i wanted]), and getting someone to make them (free, i knew the guy), and getting a +80 treatment buff...

I worked hard. And I did something that any player of my level with the time and the willpower could do. I spent a ton of IP on treatment as well. Where am I wrong on this?
    Last edited by dfield; Nov 26th, 2001 at 05:34:48.

If your talking in that manner to me I suggest you re-read what I said.

I said, Inshort, if people used that BUG/CHEAT/EXPLOIT to add 100+ Treatment at that Surgery Clinic thing to get like, 100's more than they should, Should have there implants removed.

All of whome who Worked for it, and have implants legitamte for there base Treatment should beable to wear it.

But if you didnt then sorry.

But if you sir did use this bug, then what do you expect, you did soemthing that was not supposed to be and your implants should be taken right off!
    I can only go for ql70 ish implants at the moment, Enf with low treatment, starting to put it up since im spending a Few million myself on a full set.
    but im doing it the proper way, not using a bug to get my Treatment up which many a soul has done.

No, like i said, I spent thousands of IP on treatment. I put this implants in a day or so ago. I was unable to stack treatment even if I had wanted to.

Even though I could get them in again, I'd still have to bug someone to cast the +80 treatment buff on me. I'd also have to look through my old implants to get some of the stats back up to equip them (agility for example).

What I'm saying no to though, is changing the requirements on implants. Heh.

Over-Equiping not my favorite problem

I myself have not gone super crazy in over equiping. The most I do is cast a few ability boosts or skill expertises and put on some omni-med clothing to equip something.

It seems that the major *specific* complaint that I hear is Nano-Techs being upset about not being able to use their highest level nano formulas while weapon wielders can still use their weapons when de-buffed.

Well, I'm sorry, but there are 10, count them 10, shortcut bars available to everyone, and I have yet to fill them all on any charater. I have a Trader, and I put my second string nano programs on another bar for when my buffs wear off or I am de-buffed. If this happens I just go back to my not quite as nice nano programs which are just a little less powerful than my best ones. This is equivalent to my pistol wielder doing 10-20 points less damage under the same circumstances.

I just wish that people would spend half as much time preparing for being De-Buffed as they do trying to get ALL the buffs they can. It just takes a little more planning and under the current rules of the game it is not quite so bad. Just a quick SHIFT-2 to get to your secondary spell bar and you can cast all of those spells with no problem.

Oh yeah im over equipped alot, 98 riders at level 60, got implants for it aswell.

I got a Ql109 high ql tank armor, the red one with shoulder pads and, its requires 319 Stam, I have 234 buffed on my own.
    Add some high level essences, IC and my new set of Implants maybe, just maybe i can wear it before I can.

kay, Dont touch implants, leave it as it is.
    But those people that used that bug to gain ALOT OF TREATMENT.
    Must be a way to find them out.

I think everyone here is missing the point about implants, overequiping etc...

If Funcom didnt want anyone "Overequiping" then why even have implants , buffs and the like in the first place? Heck just make it BOORING like any other game out there and make everything canned classes that everybody of the same level/class hits for exactly the same dammage etc...

Your characters in this game are endlessly customizable in nearly every aspect, as such how can you truely have balance? put 2 people of the same race/class/level side by side and youll see totally different characters with totally different play styles skills etc.

Thats what makes the game so great in the first place...

Those who want to spend all their time tweaking their characters , more power to them. But if you choose to spend all your time doing other things in the game then tough luck that your character isnt as powerfull as the guy who spent all week trying to build up his.

Tweaking out your character and trying to get into higher equipment ISNT cheating, would you have everyone only be able to use items that are the same QL as their level ? Your whole characters existance would be trying to get upgrades everytime you level, just so you can survive.

IMO Funcom just wants to slow down the pace of the game , they did not anticipate characters already hitting max level 8 months after the game was released.

Now they are worried about everyone getting burnt out on the game because they've done it all in less than a year and everyone has level 200 characters and theres nothing left to do.

Film director extraordinairre RandaZ's Avatar
    Slayer,

I think you yourself have been missing the point. Re-read the first post. It isn't about removing the ability boost of implants. It is about removing the cycle effect of implants boosting implants.. boosting implants...boosting implants. The very technique used by the uber-equippers.

When most people have been complaining about over-equippers, it isn't about the person who had just put in a lvl 60 implant on their lvl 50 to boost their stamina 40 points. It's about the person who puts the lvl 60 implant to boost stamina to put the lvl 70 implant that boosts treatment to boost the lvl 70 implant that boosts stamina to put the lvl 80 implant that boosts treatment.. ad nausum.

The first post asked for the first boost that is added by the first implant not to apply to future implants. This effectively breaks the cycle that game exploiters are using while still allowing people to customize their characters by choosing which implants they want to keep in their body (not just use them as temporary boosts to get around the intended game mechanics)

And no on said you couldn't buff. Go right ahead. Buff. But like stims, buffs are temporary things (yes, see that little timer on it?) When it runs out, your stats drop back to normal. After using a stim, your run speed drops back to normal. You don't run uber fast forever do you? Why doesn't the same logic apply to implants and weapons? It sure does for nanos.

No, I think you've sorely missed the point. No one is trying to make you play the game like exactly like everyone else. But like in life, there are rules that need to be followed. And in life, there are loopholes to rules that can be exploited. Just because the loopholes exist, does it mean its' okay to use them? If I could use a loophole in common law to sue your family til your bankrupt, can I do it? I'm spending the money for the lawer. I'm WORKING for it. What if I said "Oh comon', it ISN'T cheating, would you have everyone only be able to use the laws that are the same to each person?"

Think.

Tappert
    Slotine Zembower
    R.U.R. Member (RK1)

Tappert Solminski
    Tailor of Rome-Blue (RK1) [currently MIA]

I like the idea!!

Problem is that ALL chars will be effected by this.. (all use at least general NFs right??)
    So it will hamper implants for 4-5 levels.

If this is going to be accepted then it needs to be done the same way the omni only equipment was fixed. Aka it's NOT unequiped, but you couldn't get it back on. This way you shouldn't get to big of a game breaker.. Yes it will take a while until the effect is noticeable due to the players leveling and needing new implants.

I think that buffing is fun. You just got a nice QL armor and you need like 3 other professions to buff you to use it. The best part is that you gotta do it all in 10 min time

For instance to equip an uber pistol i'd need +20 general pistol, +40 soldier mastery, +120 engineer pistol buff, a +132 trader wrangler and need to switch to my pistol implants (need a +80 treatment buff from a doc ). Getting all these buffs set is fun!

Anyway, what i wanted to say is, we need QL 300 items

Agh maybe in a year they'll put max level to 300 or something :]