Thread: Storyline Events - only at convenient times for American Players???

Storyline Events - only at convenient times for American Players???

Last night (or should I say early in the morning) there was a broadcast about some *press-conference* in Omni HQ just when I was almost logged out (caught it with a last glimpse). So I logged back in and checked it out.

My biggest gripe: This is the 2nd time now (prolly there were more, but I was already logged) that an event is started at a time where most Europeans will be already fast asleep (something like 2 - 3 in the morning here).
    Do you see any chance at all that there could also be some things happening at more convenient times to us?
    By talking to people in teams, in guild leader channel and just in general, I know for sure that there are quite a few Europeans playing AO - me thinks we need some attention as well.
    Thanks.

Story? What story? :)

Creep (UK)

Talking Europeans

Yes there definately are lots of european players online. I hope they fix it by doing US events on RK1, and EU events on RK2 or something like that. (and allow europeans to port from RK1 ro RK2 and vice versa =)

Thumbs down Story? Weekly Events?

I play everyday (American) and I have yet to see any broadcast of a plot! Funcom sent out a marketing promo to software retailers and it says that starting 10/31 the Story launches FOLLOWED by WEEKLY events!?

Do me and Snufalupogus have the same problem of never being online when an event takes place?

For the Euro's, it sucks that ya'll miss out due to the time differences, but the US market holds the largest share of subscriptions and FC must adjust to that.
    Kodiene
    Founding member of P.E.T.A.
    People for the Ethical Treatment of Atrox's
    PAINKILLR
    Mercenaries of Kai

"I personally think nerfs are death in an emergency patch. It is very cool to admit that there are a lot of things we can do boring, very boring in-game. Your input is being adjusted in some Fouls. I want to especially thank the players who WILL die.
    Have Fun! And I'll be seeing you online
    jonhelgi, designer - AO"

Euros

There may be more US players than european, but we sure should not be neglected. Our CD case also promises a story, and on the website they sell to US and Euro both. And hey, last night there were several people from my own small country on the newbie channel alone.
    And you won't believe how many people I meet in-game that don't speak english

Do the Events 22-24 hours GMT - that way a lot of players from the US would allready be on and the time in Europe would not be so late that all players had logged.

Simple.. Another simple answer for FC - They should start paying us for answering them

Kohistan
    Fixer

There's no disclaimer

there's no disclaimer concerning the events that states that RK2 players will have to create new characters on RK1, and that europeans will have to quit their dayjobs to stay up all night waiting for an event to happen.

When Cosmik was asked this very question in mid-october he said that both servers would have events that would run at different times during the day to allow for BOTH americans and europeans to participate on BOTH servers.

Kodiene you should not only want funcom to provide you what you want, but you should want them to provide it for everyone as they stated they would. do you want to play AO all by yourself?

Because as it is, we're paying for a weekly storyline that only shows up every 2 weeks, and only for ONE segment of the population, and that is Americans on RK1.

you think that we should continue to pay so that Americans on RK1 get their story? what if we all quit? then RK1 Americans would be lucky to get their weekly content every month.

I'm trying to keep my cool about this but it really pisses me off. we're all paying the same fee's but only one segment out of many is getting the payoff. even if it is biweekly instead of weekly. it's better than nothing and we all deserve to take part in the storyline.

If funcom doesn't make moves to provide ways for everyone to get in on it then the storyline is just going to suck because i know some of the best RP'ers out there are being excluded from the storyline right now.

Re: Story? Weekly Events?

Originally posted by Kodiene
    I play everyday (American) and I have yet to see any broadcast of a plot! Funcom sent out a marketing promo to software retailers and it says that starting 10/31 the Story launches FOLLOWED by WEEKLY events!?

Do me and Snufalupogus have the same problem of never being online when an event takes place?

For the Euro's, it sucks that ya'll miss out due to the time differences, but the US market holds the largest share of subscriptions and FC must adjust to that.
    Being in events is just a matter of being in the right place at the right time. I think this recent press conference in Omni HQ was the first event to be annouced globally (but I could be wrong).

I've been playing since day 1 and have yet to be in an event. That's fine with me. It's just a matter of me not being on when there's an event. Yes, there HAVE been weekly events since the story launch (I see them reported on AO-Basher all the time). Most are not big global things, though.. One might be for people who just happen to be in Tir or Athen at the time one is annouced. Or another might just be for the people in Omni-1. It's all a matter of luck. Unless you're one of the lucky guild leaders who find out beforehand.

Hell, if you want excitement, just go to 2HO. There's always something going on there

And, to the Euro people, AO-Basher spoke to the event leader guy at FC and he said that they are going to look into yor complaints, whatever that means. Go to AO-Basher.com to see his official response to it all.

Though, really, I fail to see how FC could possible fail at this? I mean, do the first event at US primetime, the second at Europrime time, the next at Us...

You got my point, huh?

I think this would be the best, and in this way you wouldnt have the problem of having to split up the servers due to the players geografical situation...
    Father Chagidiel
    High priest in The Church of OmniTek

Solution: Have friends /tell you in-game when an event is happening.

Solution: Don't ignore the chat channels as people often go into areas and shout for help defending the area.

Solution: If you are unsure if an event is taking place, check the grid. Often there is a build-up near the event location.

Solution: Get a standardized Rubia-ka time going so that events would take take place in relation to in-game time, such as sneak attacks at night and raids during the day or something to that effect.

Once a problem is posted, post solutions. Don't just reiterate the problem. Feedback on solutions works too. Figure out the best way to do it so you can speak to FUNCOM with one voice.

>>Solution: Have friends /tell you in-game when an event is happening.

Doesn't help if you arent online due to the basic need for sleep and work.

>>Solution: Don't ignore the chat channels as people often go into areas and shout for help defending the area.

See first answer

>>Solution: If you are unsure if an event is taking place, check the grid. Often there is a build-up near the event location.

I don't know by the build up because 11pm-3am on a work night is a little out of my play times. work takes priority over AO as thats what pays the bills

>>Solution: Get a standardized Rubia-ka time going so that events would take take place in relation to in-game time, such as sneak attacks at night and raids during the day or something to that effect.

Now this I like. Thats a damn fine answer. except (no offence so the US players intended) but the damn timeline would be set to central US time, which is about as much help and a chocolate frying pan.

>>Once a problem is posted, post solutions. Don't just reiterate the problem. Feedback on solutions works too. Figure out the best way to do it so you can speak to FUNCOM with one voice.

The reason we post this on an individual level is to give FC a damn good idea just how many people are being left out with this problem. And even then, not everyone posts on these boards.

Anyway, I want to see an answer to this. My entire guild loses out because they're leader is not present during the events.

Another solution to this would be to give Faction leaders the oportunity to give another member access to the Leader channel so that they can coordinate with other leaders while they are gone. Or just give it to all the board members of a company.

Even this is a really poor solution as I still wont see any of the storyline, and that really narks me off as I am a pure roleplayer.

Enough gripe, time to Fix

Dairahn,
    CEO Omni-I.
    international guild... all timelines, 1/12th storyline involvement.

Re: Story? Weekly Events?

Originally posted by Kodiene

And I'm sure you would have the same view if roles were reversed and the Europeans were the ones getting all the events, while the Americans were the ones paying
    $13 a month to sit around and twiddle their thumbs...?