Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: a 200 mill PooooF

In RL.....

When something like this happened I would ask CZ (if he could not resolve a problem that has arisen due to faulty design of his product).

Can I see your superior please?

I agree that Claire may have been a little more observant doing a trade of this magnitude, but as long as enabling NPC trading (in 13.6) caused this uneccesary feature (trading with pets) to appear. It the sole responsibility of Funcom to fix it. The product did not behave in a manner one would expect with normal use!...simple as that!.

I apologize for the critisism CZ, because I appreciate the concern you have shown here. But Funcom is a company and somewhere above you there is someone with enough clout to make this descision and "do the right thing".... simply because it is causing a lot of customer dissatisfaction and as long as its posted on a public board it may deter new customers from joining what I think is the best online game out there atm (even with all the bugs, nerfs and patches).

I doubt that Funcom is a democracy, and if you cannot solve the problem, send it up to someone who can!

I very much hope this issue will be settled soon, because its giving a bad name to AO.

Regards
    Legion
    Beartwo

and a whole litter of bearcubs ...

"Only the dead have seen the end of war." -- Plato
    "You see me now, a soldier, of a 1000 psychic wars...." -- Blue Oyster Cult

I don't know where all of you people come from (America seems to be popular though) but I'm going to tell you something about people.

People are people.

Some companies here in Sweden has this little neat thing. This is a real thing, and I have tried it out myself.

Say you buy a mobile phone. You have the option to pay an extra 20$~ for a sort of guarantee. Now, no matter what the heck you do with the mobile, you get a new one. You can smash it into the wall when you get angry.

This works becase: The customer has to pay a slight sum to get a new one, so it's not like he/she wants to do it. The company gets the compensation for the actual material expenses. The customers feels like the company is a nice one, and buys more there.

Slightly off topic, so here comes the rest.

This is what happens when a pet stands 'in' you while you want to trade with someone. Step for step. Notice that this often happens if you use the /pet behind command. The bot actually positions itself, by design, in this very situation.

1: You do not see the pet, since your view is outside it.

2: You see the other person directly in front of you.

3: You move the pointer over to the person, and it displays the red cross thingie, just as usual.

4: You click where the person is standing, and the trade window opens. However, you are in fact selecting the pet. There is no visual indication that you traded with the pet instead of the person.

5: You put in the item, and press accept, just like in any other trade, and poof! There goes the item.

6: Normally the other person would hand over the item, if they are honest. This does not happen with pets, and you can hardly kill your own pet either.

Now, all visual indications does point towards you doing the right thing. The ONLY thing that shows up that point to something else is a line of text, simple white text, that shows one name instead of another.

If you really have to be that paranoid when trading things, then the interface is hardly friendly.

Yes, **** does indeed happen. But remember than manually does not mean intentionally. In the end, what is the actual difference between trading a disc away, and losing one in a crash?
    *poof*

Finally free from this nightmare!

this is sick... I'd prolly quit the game too.... Funcom's stringent policies just seem to be against the fact that we are all paying customers and all want to have fun. It's really sad that they don't help their customers when their errant decisions and software hurt their game. If I could help you get the disc claire I would...

Eleetist
    Lvl 151 Agent

There is no visual indication that you traded with the pet instead of the person

Trading with <PET NAME>

Is a visual indication.
    It's visual feedback in the form of a text message.

very much hope this issue will be settled soon, because its giving a bad name to AO.

Oh baloney.
    It's giving a bad name to Claire because he was careless.

His carelessness has become urban legend.

OMG I just traded my crat suit to a pet.
    #$%^, I just traded a QL200 beam to a pet!

LOL

If anyone has quit AO because of Claire's careless mistake, they are a fool.

Jump a bridge mr. knowbetter.
    ~Lone

You know that QL200 HGB I asked for Noer...

... I think I've got the perfect person to christen it on.

*gets ready to start trading energy rounds with Miir at massive velocities*

Powervault ~ Legion
    Poweredge ~ Omegastrike

Poweredge's Soldier Guide (Now Sticky!)

You want to use CAC in SL? READ THIS

*gets ready to start trading energy rounds with Miir at massive velocities*

My evades are maxed.....
    I wear heated plasteel....
    My Int is maxed....

Show me your worst.

Heated plasteel? Is that stuff actually useful?
    *poof*

It provides the best protection from flames.

http://antiguardians.org/itemdb.php?&cmd=view&id=22076

Flawless Heated Plasteel Body Armor
    Fire AC: 875

http://antiguardians.org/itemdb.php?&cmd=view&id=85671

Flawless Vito's Plasteel Body Armor
    Fire AC: 1000

Ah, the logics of Funcom.
    *poof*

lol
    Nietya

Level 77 Clan fixer.

Trellame ought to be sainted or made a deity or something. I mean, seriously.

easy solution to this problem ..... dont trade with an enginer :P

i have no love for omni or NT's so i wont comment on nullity mk2 , but to sit here and listen to clair ( who apparently has been around for awhile ) say she didnt know u could trade with pets ... well thats insane !

you lost your nano , your out 200 mill , u said you were quiting the game .... well so long and thankz for all the fish . same goes to the rest of you that say ur quiting .... quit allready and stop complaining !

Tired of reading these threads about " im gonna quit unless u do this FC " Grow up and get a clue people ... go out side , meet people , get laid ! Dont end up like this poor bastard
    http://www.jsonline.com/news/state/mar02/31536.asp

Exclamation su****ion

Now before reading wat im gonna say, plz keep in mind that I fully sympathizes with claire, and i feel very sorry about wat happened. HOWEVER, i do have a few su****iosns bout this event, that may, or may not go against wat clair claims to be that of wat had actually happened.

1. A trade of such magnitude, and as such, required so much time into it, I am simply surprised that no1 took any factual info down. As clair said, all the people who helped him and the person who had traded with him are all him best friends or buddies. If they are actually his friends, then why didn't any1 of them said anything or reminded clair to take sreenshots and all that before the trade?

2. Why did the arks and GM acted the way they did? Don't u think that they might have acted a bit differently, with more empathy, only if there werent so many people trying to exploit this game, trying to manipulate watever factual info they can, in order to gain some thing that they were not supposed to gain.

3. If that was actually a trade, then why did clair cliked accept, even BEFORE the other person put the disk into the trade window? Obviusly he did cliked accept before there was anything in the trade window, and trade the thing either to the pet, or to some1 passing by.

4. Why were there no evidence or screenshots? Witness means little to the GMs when they noe that the witnesses r close to clair, and therefore I can only assume that the GM prolly thought that clair and the witnesses were lying.

There are much more stuff to clear up beofre u guys claim anything of any factual value, so plz, get everything straight before blaming everything on FC. It would be just like blaming your misfortune on god, or the devil, or watever u blame it on.
    Then again, if u guys actually blamed everything on FC, then that also means that FC had made a significant impression on u.

I am not a FC employee, nor am I a FC fanboi or watever u call it, I am just some1 who sees stuff from both perspectives, before I make any final judgements, and this is my FC's perspective

Uhm, you seem to have gotten some things wrong. Claire had the disc. She clicked on her friend, put the disc in the trade window, and pressed accept, just like you always do. Only a pet was interfering.

And the GMs could indeed verify it by their own. That does not mean they do anything about it. Heck, they can check logs for tons of things... Trades, looting and such.

So they knnow very well that claire lost the rarest item in the game (arguably) and that it was traded to a pet. They know it, but they still won't give the item back.
    Last edited by WGMelchior; Apr 6th, 2002 at 11:04:14.
    *poof*

Post my point is.......

sorry if i got somethings wrong, but from wat i noe, when u r trang with some1, u would put that disk down, and then that some1 would type in that 200mil. BUT, if u actually traded with the pet, u might as well have noticed that when u put the disk down or the 200mil down, the other side didnt put down anytrhing.

This is the big problem, because how can some1 actually have LOST their hard earned 200mil AND the disk to a pet???? Would u go to a store and put ur 50 bucks on the table and then go get ur game?? u wont, cuz u noe theres too much risk involved, and u never noe if some1 might come and take that 50 away. Same thing here.......

Everyone who posts here, make sure you know exactly what did happen.

Claire already payed 200 millions for the disc, and got it. The seller got the 200 millions, so they aren't really gone. Just the item that was bought for those credits.

But what do you do with a disc? You make it into a crystal. Claire asked one of her friends (an engineer) to do that.

All that was traded and lost was the disc. No money was involved, since it wasn't a sale at all.
    *poof*

dont blame the ARK's

Even how bad you feel after reading thism, dont blame the ARK's. They have nothing to do with funcom, and are just players like you, offer some time and afford to use their knowledge to help other people who dosent know. I don't know what the GM's said to you, but if it happend to me, I would have tried to make them look into my account somehow.

Thumbs down Sad.

That's a really tragic story.

Miir, what I like about you is your rationale spirit, but what I don't like is your narrow sight.

Claire traded Nullity mkII to a pet. She was 100% careless.
    Yes, that's right. That's a stupid mistake, with harmful consequences, which she should have thought about and planned more than well before engaging in the whole trading process.

But a pet accepting a trade is a bug. That's also a fact. Wether this feature exists to make NPCs being able to accept trades or not doesn't change a thing to the fact that a pet accepting a trade was not the purpose when programming this feature in the first place. Think of it more like a "nocive secondary effect". Furthermore, when I log onto the game, there is no clear warning to the playerbase about this programming mistake (could we say a lazy way from the developers implementing the NPC trade process possibility ?). Because don't forget that a majority of AO players don't, or very rarely, check the Official Forums. So basically, Claire was, in a way, deceived. Think of it like this : you buy a medicine supposed to have a specific effect (you pay a monthly fee to Funcom to play AO, one of the things you can actually expect to be working is that you can trade items with NPCs). Unfortunately, the medicine has got a nocive secondary effect, and there is no notice about it on the medicine directions for use (you didn't know that pets were considered as NPCs, and therefore couldn't expect pets to accept a trade, or even that it was possible, because it's not mentioned anywhere as an easy logon access clear notice - remember, like the notice they kept on logon screen for weeks about players who should be careful about using team missions elevators, which could provoke death from massive buggy fall damage, and therefore lead to a loss of xp).

So, yes. Claire consuming this medicine by mistake while she aimed at consuming another one (she wanted to trade with her friend in the first place, not the pet) is careless, that's agreed. But she suffered from hell of a nocive secondary effect, which she was not aware of (please understand that you could argue undefinitely and state that Claire was a high level player, and therefore supposing that she should have been aware of all possible game flaws, but you wouldn't make a point. Simply because such an "argument" is a supposition.. you suppose.)

But hey, do you think you could be right and win such a trial in front of a court as the medicine producer Company ?
    Absolutely not. Every damn NY lawyer would kill father & mother to defend Claire's case, because that would be huge and easy fees at the end of the road.

Yes, Claire was careless. But the fact is, that Funcom swindled Claire out of her Nullity mkII, and should compensate her for this wrongdoing. How ? To reimburse her of her Nullity mkII could be a means to do it.

Furthermore, not doing so, after all the former reimbursement issues, is sure to bring a part (along with other AO issues, of course) of consequences on the reputation of the AO product, as stated by Noer. Actually, this is far from being a smart move from Funcom. But when the drawbacks of such a bad customer support will show... man, the payback will hurt big time.

Sorry for what happened to you Claire, you got all my sympathy .
    Last edited by Scarlito; Jul 22nd, 2002 at 04:06:33.
    - Scarlito -

Sorry to hear Claire, and as usual lameass of funcom. How about stop accusing your players for being exploiter cause they lost items cause your programmers can't code.

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast