Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: a 200 mill PooooF

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Another voice to the clamour

Originally posted by Lucid Flow

Click your pet to open a trade
    View in bright white letters "Trading with so and so"
    Trade item anyway.

There is a reason Funcom made it so it told you who you are trading with.
    Yes in tiny little letters with a TON of chat spam going by...

No thats BS.

Thats newbie code. Thats like having a 5 page error message appear on the screen without the ability to scroll.

No it doesn't work.

This thread is proof of that.
    I miss LadyE.

Originally posted by FileNotFound

It's not an accidental deletion.

You get an "Are You Sure" message. That makes it pretty hard to 'accidently' delete an item.

Dropping a CD down the gutter is VERY different from a mistrade

Why didn't you bring up something like "Well if you jump of the 50th floor of a building by accident. God doesn't bring you back to life..."

You example is just as absurd.

God has nothing to do with a mistrade or dropping a CD down a gutter.

What if I accidetly put the contents of my pockets into a whole labeled trash instead of a whole right next to it labeled "Store your stuff here?"

Is it my fault for not reading? Yes.
    Last edited by Lucid Flow; Mar 15th, 2002 at 22:42:22.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Another voice to the clamour

Yes in tiny little letters with a TON of chat spam going by...

No thats BS.

Thats newbie code. Thats like having a 5 page error message appear on the screen without the ability to scroll.

No it doesn't work.

This thread is proof of that.

So now you blame it on Spam?

Which was it? Funcom for making you able to trade with pets, or the spam in a city where you could have easily left? Now you are blaming spam for somebodies oversight on actually watching who he traded with?

Now that's absurd.

God has nothing to do with a mistrade or dropping a CD down a gutter.

What if I accidetly put the contents of my pockets into a while labeled trash instead of a whole right next to it labeled "Store your stuff here?"

Is it my fault for not reading? Yes.
    Can you blame a guy for speeding if the speed limit sign is 1 ft tall and hidden behind a tree?

Thats what the AO trade interface is like.
    I miss LadyE.

Yes in tiny little letters with a TON of chat spam going by..

Good grief, guy.
    I guess maybe Funcom should idiot-proof this game down to your level.

They can call it Anarchy Lite!

PS: If you hit CTRL+7, you will find a menu where you can choose to ignore all other chat channels. Thereby eliminating all spam.
    Last edited by Miir; Mar 15th, 2002 at 22:47:02.

Can you blame a guy for speeding if the speed limit sign is 1 ft tall and hidden behind a tree?

Thats what the AO trade interface is like.

No, you couldn't blame him.

However if there was a window just under his nose where he looks to find ALL OTHER FEEDBACK from the rest of the game, what would stop him from thinking "Oh gee, everything else is displayed in this window right in front of my face, maybe it will tell me who I am trading with."

If that were the case, i'de blame him.

AO Reletive to your comparison, the speed limit is where all of his other gauges are. In that case, it's his fault for not reading it.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Another voice to the clamour

So now you blame it on Spam?

Which was it? Funcom for making you able to trade with pets, or the spam in a city where you could have easily left? Now you are blaming spam for somebodies oversight on actually watching who he traded with?

Now that's absurd.
    D) All of the above.

Yes. The fact that we can trade.
    The fact that pets don't keep the item.
    The fact that they don't give it back.
    The fact that there is no warning that it's a pet.
    The fact that they don't give items back.

In EQ the trade interface with an NPC is TOTALY different than one with a PC.
    I miss LadyE.

No, you couldn't blame him.

However if there was a window just under his nose where he looks to find ALL OTHER FEEDBACK from the rest of the game, what would stop him from thinking "Oh gee, everything else is displayed in this window right in front of my face, maybe it will tell me who I am trading with."

If that were the case, i'de blame him.
    It's no different. I bet the window looks something like:

[GUILD CHAT]: Blah blah blahblah blahblah blahblah blahblah blahblah blahblah blahblah blah
    [OOC]: blah blahblah blahblah blahblah blahblah blahblah blahblah blah
    [Shopping1]:blah blahblah blahblah blahblah blahblah blahblah blahblah blah
    [Shopping2]:blah blahblah blahblah blahblah blahblah blah
    Vicinty: blah blah blah
    Trading with Pet
    Vicinity:blah blahblah blahblah blahblah blahblah blahblah blahblah blah
    [tell]blah blahblah blahblah blahblah blahblah blahblah blahblah blahblah blahblah blah

You call that feedback?
    I miss LadyE.

It's no different. I bet the window looks something like:

[GUILD CHAT]: Blah blah blahblah blahblah blahblah blahblah blahblah blahblah blahblah blah
    Trading with Pet
    [tell]blah blahblah blahblah blahblah blahblah blahblah blahblah blahblah blahblah blah

You call that feedback?

Yes, when Guild is Green
    OOC is light green
    Shopping is Blue
    Shopping 2 is blue
    Pet Trading is White
    Tell is bright cyan.

And all of them can be turned off except /tell and Trades. Hmmm.... think about that for a while.

Yes, when Guild is Green
    OOC is light green
    Shopping is Blue
    Shopping 2 is blue
    Pet Trading is White
    Tell is bright cyan.
    Sigh

If if I added colors it'd be even more confusing.

You should know that.
    I miss LadyE.

Trading with Pet

You call that feedback?
    That's exactly what I would call it.

feed·back The return of information about the result of a process or activity

As per the English language definition, a line of text indicating the trading target is indeed feedback.

Originally posted by Miir

Trading with Pet

You call that feedback?

That's exactly what I would call it.

feed·back The return of information about the result of a process or activity

As per the English language definition, a line of text indicating the trading target is indeed feedback.

Well....I'd call it VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY BAD feedback.

I work in QA at a MAJOR very profitable .com . I'm an information systems major. I learn how to develop software RIGHT. I focus on software design.

Anyone will tell you that THIS IS NOT THE WAY to do it.

Yes it is technicaly feedback. By the same logic so is "Trade active"

But BOTH are bad feedback.

BTW working towards 1000 posts huh Miir?
    I miss LadyE.

LOL...this is funny...

You know FileNotFound...This "Are you sure you want to Trade with XXX: Yes or No" window you are proposing sounds remarkably like a certain "Accept or Decline" window that pops up right NOW in the game... :P

Seriously, if she did not bother to check who she was trading with (God forbid she scrolls back a few lines!) then I have little sympathy...

Originally posted by kfox
    LOL...this is funny...

You know FileNotFound...This "Are you sure you want to Trade with XXX: Yes or No" window you are proposing sounds remarkably like a certain "Accept or Decline" window that pops up right NOW in the game... :P

Seriously, she did not bother to check who she was trading with (God forbid she scrolls back a few lines!) then I have little sympathy...

Yes but that is like saying "Well you did hit the delete key, no need for an "Are you sure" box"

Or
    "Well you did hit Alt-F4, you shoud've thought about saving your files earlier"

Thats bad design. It's not userfriendly it's unacceptable.

It'd NOT pass by me if I was QAing it. But thats me...
    I miss LadyE.

Yes but that is like saying "Well you did hit the delete key, no need for an "Are you sure" box"

Or
    "Well you did hit Alt-F4, you shoud've thought about saving your files earlier"

Thats bad design. It's not userfriendly it's unacceptable.

It'd NOT pass by me if I was QAing it. But thats me...

Maybe there should be, maybe there shouldn’t be a button as you describe it, but you can't idiot proof everything, you know?

There is a point where streamlining and speed become more important then error checking everything...if that were NOT the case it would take me hours just to get preped for an hour of hunting...

But dont you think, that a player at Claire's level (she apparently is able to USE the Nullity Sphere) should have exercised far more caution then she seems to have done in this case? ESPCIALY for an item like this??? It is not THAT hard to verify who you are trading with...
    Last edited by kfox; Mar 15th, 2002 at 23:19:24.

Maybe there should be, maybe there shouldn’t be a button as you describe it, but you can't idiot proof everything, you know?

There is a point where streamlining and speed become more important then error checking everything...if that were NOT the case it would take me hours just to get preped for an hour of hunting...

But dont you think, that a player at Claire's level (she apparently is able to USE the Nullity Sphere) should have exercised far more caution then she seems to have done in this case? ESPCIALY for an item like this??? It is not THAT hard to verify who you are trading with...
    Thats exactly it.

The more you've traded the more careless you become. It's like driving. The first week you drive carefully cautiously, 2 hands on the wheel, tap the gas etc.

Give it 5 years and you're doing 90 in a 60 zone, tuning the radio, drinking coffee and wondering why the guy ahead is only doing 85.

The more you do something the less you worry about something going wrong.

It's learned. "CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK" WTF???

Half the time you are not fully thinking.

Sure the first trade ever you read every line. It's inevitable.

It's a common user mistake to have trouble deviating from the 'practiced' work flow.

Click on the person. Item in window. Click accept. Done.

Thats the flow. Its' almost subconcious. Good software is able to adjust to that and keep the most careless user from making mistakes.
    I miss LadyE.

Thats exactly it.

The more you've traded the more careless you become. It's like driving. The first week you drive carefully cautiously, 2 hands on the wheel, tap the gas etc.

Give it 5 years and you're doing 90 in a 60 zone, tuning the radio, drinking coffee and wondering why the guy ahead is only doing 85.

The more you do something the less you worry about something going wrong.

It's learned. "CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK" WTF???

Half the time you are not fully thinking.

Sure the first trade ever you read every line. It's inevitable.

It's a common user mistake to have trouble deviating from the 'practiced' work flow.

Click on the person. Item in window. Click accept. Done.

Thats the flow. Its' almost subconcious. Good software is able to adjust to that and keep the most careless user from making mistakes.

True enough, but to exercise that kind of carelessness with a Nulity MkII??? Common now.....

True enough, but to exercise that kind of carelessness with a Nulity MkII??? Common now.....
    Once again...why not?

"Quick quick GIMME GIMME NOW NOW NOW!!!"

Can you imagine how excieted she was? Finaly to have the rarest spell?

Admit it you'd be too happy to check. You have the spell that you've dreamt of having. What could possibly go wrong now?
    I miss LadyE.

Give the damn spell back already. What harm can that do?

What FC migth have to fix pets trading? Give items back to players who lose them to bugs? Well I think they should!

It doesn't make sense to me.
    I miss LadyE.

OK, kfox - you've proved your a mega-fanboy. Give him 3 stars, Funcom. Everybody say "whoop whoop." As you've said about someone else, I'm so glad you're not in public office.

Now do the right thing, Funcom - return the disk to Claire - it's the RIGHT thing to do - the CORRECT and the FAIR thing to do IN THIS CASE - you have GOT to look at the individual case.

CZ, I know you're between a rock and a hard place but this "policy" stinks to high heaven. There's got to be a better way than just "sorry , we know we didn't tell you that you could trade your 200 million worth of stuff to pets but you did so you're screwed." C'mon that's just not right and you know it.

The fanboys can justify it till the cows come home and it will NEVER be right.

That said - have a good weekend, I'm off to the Gator Nationals.
    "Life is too short to drink bad ale."

Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast