Page 1 of 18 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Guide to Teaming With Docs!

Wink Guide to Teaming With Docs!

This is a guide I've written for my fellow docs to give to their teammates and guildmates so they know how to best team with us. Comments and suggestions are appreciated.

Woefallen's Guide to Teaming With a Doc
    Now with a new color scheme!

Finding a Doc
    When you are forming a team and you decide that you do want a doc, remember that most docs are desperate to find a team since their low (if any) damage does not endear them to teammates. Consequently, you do not need to be polite or even say anything, like you do when you're trying to get an engie or an agent to join your team. The preferred method for recruiting docs is to travel to a crowded area (like Bronto Burger in Omni Ent or South Gate in Tir), target a doctor, then run all the way to the other end of the crowd and click on "invite." Make sure the doctor can't see you when she looks around and make sure to either ignore or or at least delay any responses to /tells or any questions from her. If she doesn't join your team right away or declines your invite, run back up to her (from behind) and click on "invite" 19 more times. Note, advanced players will also try hovering in a yalm 40' directly over the doc before inviting.

Buffing with a Doc
    Now that your team is formed, the first order of business is to buff up. Make sure you do not give the doc any of your profession's often sought after buffs unless she asks for them, such as Essence or reflect shields, because she is probably trying to keep 200 NCU free so she can cast HoTs on herself. Make sure to ask for Iron Circle and the team HP buff before the rest of the team is in range so that when she casts it a second time to update the rest of the team, you will have it twice. Also, if you have any free NCU left over, top yourself off on pointless expertise buffs like Swimming so that your doc isn't tempted to waste her time casting temporary HoTs or HP buffs on you.

Missioning with a Doc
    Team missions are just like solo missions, only there are six of you, so you can go six times as fast. Make sure to run from room to room as fast as you can so that you don't waste any of the doc's time. Also, remember that having a doc in the team means that you will always be healed, so there is no need to stop between fights to heal up. Most good doctors have unlimited nanos so they will always be ready with the heals, making combat a cinch. Run into the largest room you can find and attack the middle mob. Make sure to stay in the large room as fighting in the ajacent room will likey cause less mobs to attack your team, which slows down the amount of experience you get and pisses off the doc. To further save time, make sure to loot chests only durring or right after a fight--the doctor's frantic team heal spamming because of the fight you started will cover any incedental damage from trapped chests. If the doctor takes aggro, let her keep it. She is the healer and it's easier for her to heal herself then to heal anyone else.

Also, while I usually discourage players from keeping their team window open when they are fighting (since it blocks part of their view), it can be a useful tool when exploring. If your team is busy rebuffing or someone is away from the computer, run until the doctor stops showing up on your team window and start attacking mobs on your own. Hold your ground and shout for heals as needed. Also note that docs like to see you split off from the team as it works its way throught the mission and for you to start a seperate fight because it tells us that you are taking initiative and we will finish the mission sooner. If you get into trouble, the doc will leave the rest of the team and come running to your aid, or (and this is rare), she won't and you will have to train your mobs to the rest of the team, who will be happy to help you kill them.

After the fight is over, avoid using your health treatment kits, especially if you are the only person injured and the doc has full nanos. We enjoy helping everyone else out and we know how expensive your health treatment kits are so we would much rather use our 30 QL higher nano treatment kit to save you the hassle of siting down, healing, and standing back up again. Remember, because most low to mid level docs don't use weapons, we are made of money.

Fighting
    Many docs foolishly believe that, just because they are your heal monkey, that this gives them some right to make tactical descisions like saying what mobs are too hard or by ordering retreats. A doc who tells her teammates to run only does so because she is a coward, blinded from the battle by staring at everyone's HP and nanos in the team window. She doesn't have the vast tactical training nor combat expereince you have that comes from your countless hours of pressing Tab then Q while watching reruns of Giligan's Island on tv, so it's usually best to either ignore her or do the oppposite of what she says. Sometimes, at higher levels, the doc will get lazy and cast Complete Healing on you--she does this so she has an excuse for not healing again for a while and the best solution is to continue doing whatever it is that you are doing that caused the first CH. If you get into trouble, run into another room and spam "HJEEL" until the doc gets aggro from using her team heals, then when you get healed back to half life, start looting chests.

Looting
    Docs have no claim on any items except doctor nanos and doc only nodrop items. If they ask for anything else, they are being greedy as they clearly have no use for weapons, armor, and any other uber gear. Also, if your team's doc loots something, always ask to roll for it. Once all the combat professions have looted the boss, make sure to grid everyone out because some docs (especially those on their main character) will stoop to looting junk from the boss and selling it to the store. This type of looting is discraceful and needs to be discouraged to preserve the doc's dignity.

Dying
    Let's face it, most docs are far less uber then you and thus their healing skills will, on occasion, fail to keep you alive. If you do die, it was because of a mistake the doctor made and has nothing to do with you going up the lift by yourself while the rest of your team is on the level below buffing. It probably has something to do with the doc being "gay" or "a homo" (or both), so you should do your best to warn the rest of your team that the doc is "a gay homo" so they know to be careful. But, because some team members may not necessarily believe you, you must first prove your uberness by describing how long you have been playing for and then call the doc a n00b. It helps if you swear, use ALL CAPS, and misspell everything. Not only will this encourage the doc to try harder next time, but it will actually increase your chance that she'll want to team with you again. Note that if the doctor dies instead of you, she always appreciates messages that say "heal!!!" as she's sitting at the reclaim. It shows that you care, that you are paying attention, and that her heals are missed.

Getting Doctor Buffs When Not Teamed
    Walk up to a doctor (try to find one that looks busy) and say "IC" or "SFA!" If there is no one else around, /tell the doc instead of using vicinity, as most docs turn off vicinity chat. If you want IC (Iron Circle), make sure you are already in a full team before asking for it and if you want SFA make sure to seek out a doc between level 70 and 110 as higher level docs are harder to find. Also, if you only need +10 or +20 treatment, make sure not to mention that until after you have received SFA.

Thanking a Doc
    If a doc saves your ass after you pull more mobs then there are people on your team, the best way to thank her for keeping everyone alive is to repeat whatever actions you took that caused the dangerous fight. This complements the doc by saying 'you are so good I feel free to be totaly reckless' and it makes us feel good too. Also, the best way to thank a doc is to share with her your many pearls of doctor wisdom you have picked up playing enforcers, soldiers, fixers, and traders. Tell them things like "wear a medsuit so you can use better stims, my mongo will keep the ace off your gimp ass" or "emergency nano kits are almost as good as the regular ones so it doesn't matter if you get aggro."

Doctor's Dictionary
    When you team up with docs, you might hear them use some strange terms (such as WTF!?!) and this Doctor Dictionary will help you translate them.

add: This is short for 'additional monsters needed' and is used when the monster you are fighting is an easy kill and the doc feels the team can handle more. When you hear this, run into ajoining rooms and pull more monsters into the fight.
    afk: This common term stands for "Attack, Fight, Kill" and is the doc's way of telling you to go pull mobs.
    brb: An acronym, this is short for "Boss Room Battle," and is a doc's way of telling the team it's time to fight the duneon or mission boss. Note that you will also sometimes see "afk brb," meaning the same thing.
    out of nano: If your doc says this after a fight, make sure you hit her with your QL 20 nano recharger berfore you run three rooms down and start another major fight.
    puller: The team's puller has the important job of "pulling" the team into fights. Usually this is accomplished by having an Agent with no evades Aimed Shot a social mob for 1/2 it's life or by having a similarily HP gimped teammate run into a room and fire off at least three special attacks, thereby pulling the rest of the team into the room to save him. Note that the puller does not have to be the same person every time and it is often best if different people pull as to keep the doc guessing who will drop to 1/3 their life and make her try to figure out what room they are in.
    rez sick: When docs say they are rez sick, it means they are sick of dying and ressurecting and they want to go straight to the room in the mission that killed them the first time and start fighting. (note that this is also referred to as "reclaim sick").
    tank: This is the person whose job it is to pull mobs to the doc.
    wait: "wait" is a bit tricky. While it sounds like the word "wait," as in 'stop,' what the doc is really saying is a shortened version of "waste it all." meaning destroy everything in the area. Docs will use this if they want you to start charging the mission.
    WTF!?!: This means "Way To Fight" and is used to complement you on your brilliant tactical choices.

Note to Docs
    As a doctor, it is your job to keep everyone alive no matter what they do or what their evades and armor are. Some docs claim it is only their job to assist teammates with heals and buffs and that it's ultimately up to each player to be responsible for himself, but that simply isn't true. A good doc will be able to keep anyone alive regardless of what happens, and over 95% of all team deaths are due to a failure on the doc's part. I'm sorry to let our secret out, but yes, we are miracle workers. I haven't ever lost a teammate and if you try real hard too, you will also keep everyone alive.

Edit: Added a plagiarized section called "dying" that was stolen from Xarno's ideas.
    June 24th edit: Added Fighting, Looting, and Note to docs and added to Getting Buffs, Doc Dictionary, and Thanking a Doc. Stolen ideas include patoliver's CH bit in Fighting, Symthia's gridding bit in Looting, Caleena's /tell in Getting Buffs, and Dr Tiny's great mongo quote in Thanking.
    June 29th, 30th edit: Fixed obvious spelling errors.
    October 20th edit: added a fancy new color scheme but no new content.
    Last edited by Zanthyna; Oct 21st, 2003 at 04:01:37.
    Guide to Teaming With Docs! is the funniest post ever. | "Engie Got Bot" song spoof
    AO chat log of Titanic sinking is the second funniest post ever

No matter how many levels I gain, the Lag Monster is always red to me.

Currently playing The Secret World.

Ah,

so thats why Doc's always quit my teams in mid mission - we're not moving fast enough! Thanks for clearing that up. And double thanks for the dictionary, that will be real helpful. I'll make sure all my team members read it before I start inviting the doc.

On the invite, is it ok for us to send tells to the docs we know (from several zones away) asking them to come to us to join the team or buff us?

kTksbye,

Matrioux

(please note the tounge in cheek attitude, please please don't be afraid to team with me )
    People are the main reason that I am a sociopath. - Meh!

Matrioux - Omni Fixer
    MatCrat - Omni Crat
    RK2 - Rimor
    Omni Exploration Corp.

w00t, sweet!!, I love this, especially the "add" I can always use more mobs on me, I don't need to recharge,

Dilley lvl 61 Doctor-n00b

edit, and I always love hearing :HEAL!!!" when I am at the reclaim..........................
    Last edited by Dilley; Jun 19th, 2003 at 23:06:13.

Originally posted by Matrioux
    On the invite, is it ok for us to send tells to the docs we know (from several zones away) asking them to come to us to join the team or buff us?
    Actually Matrioux, proper teaming etiquette dictates that you may in fact /tell anyone you want asking for a team, just make sure to provide as few details as possible. Also, describe your location with a non-standard abbreviation (i.e. "lis" for borealis) or, even better is to tell them to meet you where you plan to be in five to ten minutes (just make sure to tell them where you really are after they have searched all over where you are supposed to be). And remember, it is perfectly okay to ask a doc to join your team when you don't have a team (if she asks where everyone else is, just say that you figured you'd get a team faster if she looked for you).

P.S. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have.
    Guide to Teaming With Docs! is the funniest post ever. | "Engie Got Bot" song spoof

<-- is afraid
    <-- is very afraid
    Heals - they're not just for tradeskills anymore
    Hypos omni doc RK2 <-- stupid enough to have thought that going past level 150 would help her be a better doc
    Phlair omni mp RK2 solo char
    Nerfbat omni enf RK2 awarded the hammer of braveness
    Shadow Ops

Originally posted by Zanthyna

Actually Matrioux, proper teaming etiquette dictates that you may in fact /tell anyone you want asking for a team, just make sure to provide as few details as possible. Also, describe your location with a non-standard abbreviation (i.e. "lis" for borealis) or, even better is to tell them to meet you where you plan to be in five to ten minutes (just make sure to tell them where you really are after they have searched all over where you are supposed to be). And remember, it is perfectly okay to ask a doc to join your team when you don't have a team (if she asks where everyone else is, just say that you figured you'd get a team faster if she looked for you).

P.S. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have.
    this is way too complicated....

far better is to have your team hang-out near a grid out or zone point (newland is very good for this!). when someone appears check thier profession. If Doctor, jsut spam team invites to them. they will feel so blessed to you that they will join you AND pay you!

Talking

Woefallen-

I would have LOVED for you to have done this as a presentation at the Doctors conference! If I may add a small suggestion for teaming with a doc - If you get killed during a mission, no matter what the circumstances, please be sure to immediately blame the doc and complain to everyone on the team (using foul language is particularly helpful here) because not only will this encourage the doc to try even harder to keep you alive, but it will actually INCREASE the chances that she'll want to team with you again!

Just my two cents.
    Last edited by Xarno; Jun 20th, 2003 at 03:49:47.

I really wanted to go, but that annoying thing called RL intruded. Next time you have one, ask me and I'll script it all out. I'll even give you a copy of the script, just in case RL intrudes again. When I get around to it, i'll add your info to the guide. (that is if you don't mind).

Originally posted by Hypos
    <-- is afraid
    <-- is very afraid
    I agree

((sadly this sounds like 95% of my teams lately >.< Ive died more times from levels 117-118 than I have in 1-117 =/))

GROOVY BABY, YEAH!

keke lala^^

Big Konstas
    Konstas
    Screw SK. I was a divine presence at 200.

Talking

Hehe excellent work Zanthyna

true... true

this is the most realistic guide i have read yet...

sad but true
    many know me whitout knowing who i am...
    killer 60%
    Explorer 53%
    Achiever 46%
    Socializer 40%
    Proud Squad commander of Ragnarok

Current playing: Rubydoc 209+ doc - Catmech 201+ engi
    Semi-retired: Spirou 206 NT - Icecatt 190+ crat
    Retired/twinks: Diamonddog 207 doc - Diamondadv 149 adv

So I made a doc because every org I have been in is always short on docs. My SO made a soldier to group with me. and so far, I LOVE being a doc. So last night I decided to actually try getting into a standard group.

Well...

About 75% of this post is a truism ON MY FIRST TEAM. I got spoiled with grouping with org mates who no longer play this game...

Please tell me it gets better at 100+

Please.
    Information doesnt want to be free.
    It wants to be liberated and very expensive.

the scary thing is somene will take it literaly ...
    Originally posted by Turin
    Contrary to popular belief, NERFS ARE NOT THE ANSWER TO BROKEN GAME MECHANICS.

I added a new section called "Dying" after rewording what Xarno wrote to make it look like I thought it up myself.

Rule number 237:

When the doc has cast CH to save you from the constant crits that the RM is doing on you (Dont worry u dont need evades with a doc) dont forget to say nothing and simply leave the team - after all if the doc was any good then she wouldnt have had to cast CH in the first place.

PS - All this applies to male doctors also - dont forget lest you leave them out of your loving.

(Superb post btw - can we get it moved to 'New Arrivals' ?)

Warning needed

I've never laughed and cried so hard at the same time...next time please put a warning notice ****don't be drinking anything while reading this or your monitor will suffer the consequences***

You also forgot...If you are a fixer after you and your friends have had a chance to loot the boss mob grid out without saying anything, he/she doesn't need to loot anything after all they are a doc and everyone know's doc have unlimited funds.

Symthia
    lvl 105 Omni doc

Thanks for the laugh, Zanthyna. Oh, btw, this thread got linked at EQ clerics, who can also relate to your guide.

EQ Clerics

hehehe, this is a great post. I especially like it since I've been on a Noob bashing spree lately.
    Rotamus, 196 NT
    Littlebitt, 200 Doc
    Ranxacka, 153 Trader

Proud general of Immortal Ascension

America's Finest News Source

Hollywood Stock Exchange

At last all the good information written down in one place. Well done Zanthyna - perhaps we can get this warped and stickied into "New Arrivals".

I must admit when I saw the thread title I thought "Oh god not a doc version of that awful narcissistic "how to ask a trader for a wrangle" thread."". But no - some genuine insights here.

target a doctor, then run all the way to the other end of the crown and click on "invite."
    Blind team invites - sometimes ok. Worst is when you get blind org invites. I got a blind org invite while buffing SFA at BB Ent the other day. I mean I'm a tl5 doc buffing people at BB Ent - and without any introduction I get invited by somebody I don't know who wasn't in tab range into an org I'd never heard of. Um?

A couple of other tips to remember,

Even if you've never entertained the idea of starting a doc - make sure the doc thinks you've got a higher level doc alt than them. That way when you start handing out the advice it'll seem more palatable.

If the doc starts panicking, if its a guy start calling them "freak", if its a gal call them "bitch".

"HEAL bitch" - not only amuses your other teamies, it'll often calm the doc down so much they'll stand still and die.

Page 1 of 18 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast