Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Map design suggestion for Funcom and for mapmakers

"something like" means that the following statement isnt meant to be taken literally
    Ino
    rolling leet, crouching tiger, hidden dragon

Pioneer rifle/crossbow Vanguard with a personal sidearm and a campstove
    Atlantean

AO Adventurer Professional (2003-2004)

Map design suggestion for mapmakers

I'm not ingame right now to check this but isn't it possible to send two sets of coordinates to helpbot and get a reply with what direction you need to head and how far it is?

I've read your suggestion - and it's definetly a good one. A numbered, overlay grid with lines say, every 500 meters? Can't promise anything about if and when it'd get implemented, but if you're impatient there's nothing stopping you inventive bunch from altering the existing Dovve's map I haven't studied the SL maps lately so I'm not sure how detailed they've become - but I can't imagine a few singel pixel lines ruining them.

wewt! thanks for the response, Jim

I know my explanation wasnt the best, but you got the idea, phew.

Every 500 metres will work methinks, not too big, not too small. The few-pixels line width wont be jarring, as i've seen a similar concept used on a roadmap ported to the internet.

(I'm awful at working with anything graphical atm, changed comps and OS recently and have no good image proggys handy. I'll have to work on that soon. )
    Ino

Atlantean

Thumbs up yep

Originally posted by Xinjin
    I totally agree with this, I constantly fly around hitting F9 to see what direction I should fly to get to a location.

But if this cant be done, what about a field where u can type in the cords u wish to go to, and then the compas shows the way, just like when u have a mission!
    A similar idea I had for a while that would involve giving everyone a small device (item in inventory) which would basically work as a GPS thingy. You enter the area and the coordinates where you want to go and it shows you a mark on the map and the direction on the compass when you enter the correct zone.

The code for this has been in the game from the very beginning (mission pointers) so this would be very easy to implement imho. Add an ability to bookmark your locations and you'd have a fully functional GPS system for Rubi-Ka and SL

Nice thread, Ino

bump!

-= Legion =-

/stuck is your new best friend!!!

Thumbs up

Oh, more neato ideas

A GPS and waypoint setting ... looks the next logical step for travel improvements
    Ino

Atlantean

Hi Ino,

Im currently working on the latest version of my map which will bring it in line with the Shadowlands content (at least RK side ) and the last couple of patches.

One of the things Ill be weighing up/trying out is your suggestion here. Funnily enough when I used to make maps for the mechwarrior games I used a grid system there and it was very effective.

Im not sure whether its 100% neccessary here, because there are so many features to get a bearing from - usually a direction from one of the fixer grid exits is enough to rescue even the most wayward traveller

The main problem of course is that there isnt 'one' map like there used to be before Dovve left and with the best will in the world a standardised grid wont be easy to reach. Especially as there isnt even one map size anymore.

Hmm, that all sounded like a thumbs down - but as I said I'll be giving it a try

Hey Urshu,
    Glad to hear you're working on a new map. Looking forward to seeing it

And yes, I understand completely. We have such a variety of maps and map sizes available now. That is why, its important for the alpha-numerical grid to have universal parameters so that it can apply on any map, any size. Perhaps, if we take Jim's cue and use 500x500 metres as the standard.
    Ino

Atlantean

Excellent suggestion. Even if all we get are coordinate grids overlaying maps, it will still greatly aid in visualising where the destination coordinates are. Right now, I can get to coordinates okay (though it's hardly direct or efficient), but I have no way to visualize where it is until I get there--it's too much trial and error.
    Guide to Teaming With Docs! is the funniest post ever. | "Engie Got Bot" song spoof
    AO chat log of Titanic sinking is the second funniest post ever

No matter how many levels I gain, the Lag Monster is always red to me.

Currently playing The Secret World.

That is an interesting idea =)

I have to say you are right about some people not being able to deal with coords very well. That was initally why I started making maps to begin with.

I also always wanted to be able to set a waypoint in game manually... so if a person told me to meet them at 2400x483 i could just type in "/coords 2400x483" and get the little yellow waypoint line on my compass. Between putting coord numbers on the map and just having this coord waypoint command, i'd probably rather just be able to type it in.

Even better still is to have the game autodetect when someone types coords in a special way... like if i type "hey meet me at coords 2400x483" it arrives on the recipients screen with "coords 2400x483" as a text link that i can click. When i click it i would get a dialog that says.."would you like to set a waypoint for 2400x483? yes - no".
    Last edited by Dovve; Sep 19th, 2003 at 21:55:34.

How about simply overlaying the xyz coordinates of the player over the mini map? Or maybe putting up a xyz window? Xyz coordinates are not that bad if they update in real time. I hate having to spam my chat when trying to locate a place.

This also went hand in hand with another idea a long time ago with adventurers being able to put up waypoints on the map for others. It was a good idea but not implemented.
    Last edited by Tyrathect; Sep 25th, 2003 at 07:33:07.

Originally posted by Tyrathect
    How about simply overlaying the xyz coordinates of the player over the mini map? Or maybe putting up a xyz window? Xyz coordinates are not that bad if they update in real time. I hate having to spam my chat when trying to locate a place.

This also went hand in hand with another idea a long time ago with adventurers being able to put up waypoints on the map for others. It was a good idea but not implemented.
    a real-time display of coords is something in dire need now, especially with SL out.

displaying the coords in the navmap would prolly be a great place for them as well.

and adventurers being able to set waypoints would be an excellent addition to them, and make them more valuable in teams exploring SL and such as well. granted i have no adv alts.. but still i think it would suit their prof best.

anyhow... as for trying to overlay some coords on the planetmap.. its something i've thrown around for a while now.. and still trying to come up with a way of defining some coord point references.. maybe i'll see how it looks in the next version of my planetmap release.. which should be in a few weeks (trying to revamp from the original base i use).

Level 1 to 300 in 8 Years! Pwn!
    - Join us on Discord! -
    AO WIKI!
    Arcanum!

For me the issue is not so much X,Y (Z can actually be AWSOME in dungeons) "Woah, you guys are WAY above me, hold on." I have seen this system partially implemented in other worlds, and it has worked wonderfully. The difference though is that in those other worlds, the x and wy would always be visible, so if you were going toward 2342,345 you could tell if the 2342 started going down, you were headed the wrong way.

To me a grid seems a bit TOO easy. I have often considered (I am not the only one) that the Planet map was second only to the release of the Yalmaha to ruin the exploring aspect of AO. (Planes were the best and worst thing ever released, imho).
    now in SL people have become SO dependant on the Planet Map, since they don't have the grid map...it's changing the course of the game as a whole I think. People use the mini map less and less I am discovering.

As it is Jim, we have to as you know, spam those coordinates constantly to see if they go UP or DOWN, and then turn and try again. It's frustrating at best. "What did you say? Sorry it scrolled off." Also, having a fixed compass in the display with a real floating pointer is not essential, but it did help immensely. That way, no matter which way you are facing, north is up. If the arrow is pointing DOWN, you are heading south. Place it on the minimap and advs become useful again But KISS (Keep it simple, silly). In each case, it was ALWAYS on screen IF you wanted it, so you always saw coordinates, and the compass.
    If its not part of the minimap, make it optional for those who inveriably will hate it, and even draggable (read: positionable/sizeable) you have my dream come true.

Yes to waypoints also, btw. I'd love nothing more than to be a scout for my team...I miss it terribly. Even paths? Follow the Yellow Brick Road, erm path, erm line (Hint: Don't hit me, but SWG is on to something great here, but it could use some improvements).

BTW guys, ShadowGod is *also* working on a great update to Dovve's Map, and has been in contact with FC on it. I got a sneak peek, and it's looking great. No it does not have all the bells and whistles of these huge, feature laden editions, but it's small, simple, and works as a direct replacement for Dovve's, with the same in game buttons and all
    Last edited by Catalyste; Oct 27th, 2003 at 04:08:49.
    "Ignorance is the greatest evil we will ever face" . -Dr. James Cone, ca 1990 CE

Available for Weddings, Mediations, Treaties, Celebrations, and Hugs...
    Neutrals come join #neutrality on irc.funcom.com! Everyone welcome.
    Counseling available by appointment-Priestess Cathryn Ardman
    Cat's Closet

Favourite Chat Colours: 250 200 250, try it!
    I am an adventurer, of COURSE I like going camping! :P

It took me a good long time to figure out the coordinate system, and i still have trouble sometimes with it. The fact that it's numbers only is only half the truth, the other half is that it's illogical, i'll elaborate:

The gridbased system (which is a good idea) uses C4, where C is north-south and 4 is east-west, as do most (map) coordinate systems, they have the first number to represent north-south and the second to represent east-west.

The computer monitor is different in that it uses X-Y, and thus east-west first, then north-south.

I have therefore 3 suggestions, which are easily implementable:

1. The easiest change is to add a direction letter to your coordinates when you press F9. Instead of just 2300 864, write 2300E 864N, easily done and that would help tremendously.

2. Change order. Print the north-south first. As in: 864N 2300E (still using suggestion 1 to make it even better )

3. Make it possible to see your coordinates at all times. For example Ctrl+Alt+P for position just as you can do with ctrl+alt+f for framerate. Just print 552N 142E in the upper left corner, below the framerate.

What do you think?
    /Yamaeda
    "No, the NT is a Magetank, the same ability to take a beating as any mage-class with the same taunt and damage output as a tank ..."

Yamaeda - Equip

Originally posted by Yamaeda
    I have therefore 3 suggestions, which are easily implementable:

1. The easiest change is to add a direction letter to your coordinates when you press F9. Instead of just 2300 864, write 2300E 864N, easily done and that would help tremendously.

2. Change order. Print the north-south first. As in: 864N 2300E (still using suggestion 1 to make it even better )

3. Make it possible to see your coordinates at all times. For example Ctrl+Alt+P for position just as you can do with ctrl+alt+f for framerate. Just print 552N 142E in the upper left corner, below the framerate.

What do you think?
    /Yamaeda
    I think these ideas are brilliant and would make life much better for us all.
    Guide to Teaming With Docs! is the funniest post ever. | "Engie Got Bot" song spoof
    AO chat log of Titanic sinking is the second funniest post ever

No matter how many levels I gain, the Lag Monster is always red to me.

Currently playing The Secret World.

Originally posted by Catalyste

BTW guys, ShadowGod is *also* working on a great update to Dovve's Map, and has been in contact with FC on it. I got a sneak peek, and it's looking great. No it does not have all the bells and whistles of these huge, feature laden editions, but it's small, simple, and works as a direct replacement for Dovve's, with the same in game buttons and all

well.. i dont think its that great, but it "works"

got a current usable-version ported to planetmap format and using myself currently to see how well it works out. may just zip it up and throw it on my site for other people to try and such.. hmm.. may do that tonight after work.

main improvements with my map i think, is that i've lightened up the terrain matt.. so its easier to see the features of the terrain better. removed a bunch of old and out dated "points of interest". added points for the 3 ergo locations (not everyone seems to know about the ergo in omni territory). still considering trying to find other new points to add. hmm. anyhow...

Level 1 to 300 in 8 Years! Pwn!
    - Join us on Discord! -
    AO WIKI!
    Arcanum!

Bah SG, stop being so humble :P
    "Ignorance is the greatest evil we will ever face" . -Dr. James Cone, ca 1990 CE

Available for Weddings, Mediations, Treaties, Celebrations, and Hugs...
    Neutrals come join #neutrality on irc.funcom.com! Everyone welcome.
    Counseling available by appointment-Priestess Cathryn Ardman
    Cat's Closet

Favourite Chat Colours: 250 200 250, try it!
    I am an adventurer, of COURSE I like going camping! :P

The last heard from anyone in FC was like 9 or so months ago.

I for one get coords mixed up much like my ass and elbow. Ask anyone who knows me, I am the one who requests for points like.. "Are we meeting on the letter U in Lush" etc etc.

Any more progress being made in this idea?

The idea was noted, as shown by the dev's post. This is a forum for suggestions, not development tracking. Please don't bump ancient threads.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12