Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Roots are WAY to powerfull in pvp

Ming, you are forgetting something... Enforcers are totally dependant on equipment and weapons, you, as a MA, dont rely as much in weapons, right? Ok, your friend has a incredibly good hammer, but it needs to change it periodically to do decent damage, and maybe he has one really nice for his level... but what about if he cannot find a bigger one when he levels? The picture is going to change.
    That's like saying, "Sure, Bill Gates has a ton of cash compared to you, but what if he someday got hit by a bus?"

My MA is gimped from level 85 or so to level 200. Not "might be less effective," but IS WAY less effective. From that point on I will never match the damage of that particular class. I will never be able to beat them in a fight. We're both melee classes.

Let's look at what an enforcer is:
    (my idea of what these are)

An enforcer relies on str and sta and raw power to smash his enemies into little tiny pieces. Enforcers with thier high HP, are excellent damage soakers, or "tanks" with nano's capable of drawing monsters onto them (away from the others) in battle. Cool! Fair enough. Sounds like a fun class to play.

Now a Martial Artist:

The martial artist is a master of body discipline, harnessing the power of the mind and body to maximize efficiency in combat. They rely less on raw power, and more on finesse and form, dodging and redirecting an enemies attacks while exploiting an enemies vulnerabilities to do the most damage. Also cool, and sounds fun to play.

MA's can heal themselves and others. This would in my opinion justify some balancing of their damage output in relation to the enforcer, were it not for the fact that enforcers have an excellent self heal line, as well as many more HP. Therefore they should be a good matchup in a duel. SHOULD, being the operative word.

This is not the case, however. For some reason the game engine has been designed so low damage fast attacks are greatly inferior to high damage, slow attacks. AC is absorbing far more of fast weapon's damage than it is of slow weapons. Basically, what I see happening is fast weapons hitting for thier minimum damage + bonuses on every swing, while slow weapons (in hitting less often) are getting more from each attack over time. In other words the net effect of both weapons types, over a set period of time, is that slow weapons transfer much more of their raw damage to their opponents, whereas fast weapons transfer more damage into their opponents armor, and less into their opponents.

So fighting an enforcer over 1 minute I might hit for: 66, 66, 66, 240, 66, 66, 66, 66, 600, 66, 66, 66...
    While the enforcer hits for: 900, 600, 300, 750...

Add in the fact that they have way more HP, and the 7 second recharge on my heal (which is about the same as a hammer cycle)
    and I'm dogmeat. Like I said earlier perhaps in another post: I could stand their fighting this guy, and if he didn't even swing back, used standing nano kits, and continually refreshed mongo, it would take me enough time to kill him that he could have killed me 5 times over.

We have the same attack range, so regardless of tactics, if I can't hit him enough to kill him, I can never kill him. I have to be within his attack range to do this damage. So this gross imbalance of damage vs AC between the two weapons types gives him the advantage in ALL cases. There will never be a time post level 85 when I can beat this class, because his AC will increase faster than my attack.

So, to fix the problem..I would recommend NOT nerfing the slow weapons using enforcer, which has proven to be an excellent baseline class in both PvM and PvP, but rather to increase the min damage output of the fast weapons. My fast weapons (fists) should be able to approximate the damage of the big weapons with a caveat. 1) Big slow weapons should be capable of super-critting far beyond anything a fast weapon could ever do. This is the bonus for weilding a rather inconsistent weapon.

As is, there's obviously some sort of mistake in the way the code is designed. My hits with fast weapons (fists) are all defaulting to their minimum possible damage because AC is absorbing more than they are cabable of hitting for. They were apparently balanced without AC being considered. There is no variation in my hits, other than crits.

A slow weapon hits less often and does more damage per hit, therefore there is less opportunity for damage to be absorbed by AC. In other words, these slow weapons are much much more efficient, given the same amount of AC is applied to each attack, regardless of weapon type.

Now, if AC were manifested in terms of nanotechnolgoy, as we'd expect, here's how it would work. The armor types being infused with nanobots would have a dynamic charge. The more often they were struck, the less of a charge they could maintain. The enemies "shields" would be "held" lower by consistent damage, whereas slow weapons would allow them time to recharge. The bigger damage of the slow weapons would then balance out. They could even put a new bar on the GUI that showed overall AC effiency.

With AC being a static value, however, big slow weapons are simply king.

I've gone off on a tangent, but hopefully it was a useful one. (if a tad redundant.)

Re: Roots are WAY to powerfull in pvp

Originally posted by Vandame
    Í play a lvl 104 MA.
    Sometimes i like to pvp and im doing ok agains most all proffessions except the ones with roots.

When i face a rooter i am completely defenceless, he can just root me and then kill me at his lesiure.

This is total BS, how can you let a proffession totaly OWN martial artists in pvp? I mean it dosent mater if im lvl 180 and his lvl 75 he can still root me for the entire duration.

Nano resist dosent seem to do anything at all atm, and self taunt never works.
    So please tell me FC what should i do? Raise nano resist? start using a Bow? play DAOC? what?

Vandame
    Raising nano resist will increase your chances of countering a root nano program. Nano resist is basically an evade skill. It either 'sidesteps' the full nano effect or lets the full effect through (with you being rooted as a result). Nano resist is working, including chances of breaking it.

Of course, if you spend IP in it is up to you. I'm just giving you the facts. But if roots are giving you a hard time, nano resist is the evade skill to go for.
    Earn free game time and play with your friends[/b]

Anarchy Online Community Representative

Question Re: Re: Roots are WAY to powerfull in pvp

Originally posted by Cosmik

Raising nano resist will increase your chances of countering a root nano program. Nano resist is basically an evade skill. It either 'sidesteps' the the full nano effect or lets the full effect through (with you being rooted as a result). Nano resist is working, including chances of breaking it.

Of course, if you spend IP in it is up to you. I'm just giving you the facts. But if roots are giving you a hard time, nano resist is the evade skill to go for.
    I have the impression that high NR also helps breaking roots earlier... Like, it looks like each shot you take triggers a new check against your NR. Can you confirm this? That would explain why some roots from some MOBs break on first shot while others tend to stick way longer...

And NR checks against what exactly? Matter creation and time/space?

Thank you for your reply cosmic.
    Looks like im spending the next 20-40k ip in NR or shotgun =)

Vandame

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12