Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Jynne Guide to Auto-Attack

Originally posted by Dyna18
    bump how did this get down here...

Got a question btw... how does Parry fit into the defense story?
    Parry is currently bugged on Live, and I have no idea how it actually works for mobs. I do know that the reason there were problems with melee classes and parry on high level mobs, is because those mobs had through-the-roof parry skills.

FC has said, I think I remember, that Parry is due for a reworking/update in Shadowlands (as is Riposte).
    Taren "Jynne" Suitt, Level 216/16 Eternalist
    Knight of Unity of the Rose - Check out our AO Tools!
    The Doctor Guide to: Notum Wars Martial Arts Perks! Nano Controller Units
    The General Guide to: Auto-Combat General Perks

Visit the Roses and check out the shops in our City, NE of ICC at 4500x1500 in Andromeda!

Iron Law of Exploits: If it can be exploited, it will be exploited. However a rule is exploitable, the exploits become the rule.

had trouble finding this when I needed it so...

BUMP

Bump so it's not lost to the ages

Visit the Roses and check out the shops in our City, NE of ICC at 4500x1500 in Andromeda!

Iron Law of Exploits: If it can be exploited, it will be exploited. However a rule is exploitable, the exploits become the rule.

I've got a ... problem with the agg/def slider. Everytime I set it down from total aggressive, I die. I don't notice any evade skills kicking in that make up for the lack of damage output and slower nano cast times. I've often wondered as to the point of the agg/def slider, but am waiting to see if this problem is still with me in the higher levels.

Originally posted by Jynne
    VII. Putting It Together: One Attack Cycle.
    So, what happens during a single iteration of the auto-attack cycle? Based on my interpretation, this is my model for what happens when you target something and press Q:

1. Attack Time. First, the game calculates your attack time.
    2. In Range? The game checks to see if your target is within the range of your weapon.
    3. Hit or Miss? After the attack time is met, if you are in range, the game calculates if you hit or miss your target.
    4. Critical Hit? If you hit, the game rolls your critical hit chance.
    5. Damage. If you hit, damage is calculated. If you crit, crit damage is used, else normal damage is.
    6. Recharge Time. Hit or miss, the recharge time for your weapon is calculated and applied.

Then the cycle starts over again at Step 1 until you press Q to stop attacking, your target dies, or you die.
    Few things that effect an attack cycle which have not been mentioned. When does the sytem check to see if your weapon is loaded or not? Second, how does reloading effect attack and recharge time? Third, how does casting nanos effect attack and recharge times of weapons? Fourth, how does movement, from the various classes, effect whether or not a hit is scored; and how does that movement effect the attack and recharge times?

Originally posted by Cemetarygate

Few things that effect an attack cycle which have not been mentioned. When does the sytem check to see if your weapon is loaded or not? Second, how does reloading effect attack and recharge time? Third, how does casting nanos effect attack and recharge times of weapons? Fourth, how does movement, from the various classes, effect whether or not a hit is scored; and how does that movement effect the attack and recharge times?
    Hmm some of this I think I can answer.

1. It checks to see if you're loaded when your attack bar charges up. If you have no ammo, instead of firing it says Reloading and powers down the attack bar without shooting.

2. This is buggy, or something. Usually it seems like reloading makes you skip 2-3 attack cycles.

3. Casting a nano makes your attack cycle pause until the nano casting animation stops. You attack normally while in nano recharge periods.

4. Ranged users can't shoot while moving. Their attack bar fills up and waits, and they will shoot as soon as they stop moving if it's full. Melees can attack while moving.

Eep, probably shouldn't let this fall to the third page

slacker! =)
    Lisa "Fistofpaper" Bliss
    200 Killpet Legend, RK1

Natasha "Nursedaou" Evile
    Chief of Stuffed Sturgeons and Healer of Hajk, RK1

Jynne - ... it doesn't matter if the glass is half full or half empty. Just drink the ****in' water. =p
    Dovve - If you are a poet, when you read the words on this paper, you will see a cloud

Quick question about criticals.

Let's say the base chance is 3%.

Let's say you have something (hypothetically) that adds 10% to your critical chances.

Does that mean you have a 3.3% chance or a 13% chance?

Hmmm...
    Chiannies
    "My full name is Chiannies. But nobody calls me that. The "s" at the end is silent. Please call me Chiannie! It's pronounced like this: ch (like the first sound of chocolate) + ahhh (like ahhh!) + knee (like your knee). Not Chia Pet, either," says Chiannie.
    Fixer 120 -- Atlantean (on my spare time, I've also become a Doctor 65 and a Keeper 43 -- I'm a multitalented girl!)
    Applicant of Valor Eternal (EG)
    Martial Artist 157 -- Rimor
    Veteran of Ive Got Your Back
    Style over Substance

13%
    • RK2: Dyna2 Enfo Dyna18 NT Dyna666 Keeper Dyna4000 Fixer Dyna27012 Crat
    • RK-Test: Dyna0002 Meta-Physicist Dyna90210 Fixer ( 05-02-2003)
    • Check my QL200 Enforcer implant designs at Auno.org: 1HE 2HE 2HB
    • Best custom map: Raiko's Map (based on Dovve's AO Enhancements)
    • Best custom skin: Notum DovveTech HUD upgrade (based on Dovve's AO Enhancements)

Omni-Tek is your friend!
    Elnertz: "I spend all my time making all the loot mine, all because there is no ****ing storyline!"

Smile Updated with new changes...

Bumping this up - now updated with 15.x and Shadowland changes.

If anyone can get hard data on how parry and riposte now work, it would be cool

Any idea how Strength affects melee damage?

Originally posted by Phallisto
    Any idea how Strength affects melee damage?
    As far as I know it doesn't, except insofar as trickle-down from strength improves your weapon skill and thereby boosts your attack rating.

Aaaaah trickle-down...That's why my Lego Scythe does more damage with STR boost.
    Ty.

Originally posted by Phallisto
    Aaaaah trickle-down...That's why my Lego Scythe does more damage with STR boost.
    Ty.
    But we're talking about a very tiny amount of greater damage, right?

P.S. Thanks for this guide, Jynne! It was a big help!
    Neala, Adventurer
    Iphimene, Bureaucrat
    Caelwynn, Meta-Physicist
    Unity of the Roses

Talking It's a hit and miss affair....

BUMP!

Wonderful post Jynne - many, many thanks for explaining!

And yes I can confirm that full Deff is more effective (for me at higher levels) since v15. Now I'm like Mr. Neo dodging bullets. I press that Q key and dance around the room singing "You can't touch this!" since going full Def and enough Inits to make for a 1/1 attack speed still.

However, one idea, maybe the Agg/Def bar used in some kind of multiplier to your evades in a Defense rating calculation? Personally since v15 I haven't noticed any speed difference between the afore mentioned 1% or 0% options, nor have I at 99% or 100%.
    One would be lead into thinking that it is a simple multiplier from the nature of its operation. And if so then I wonder where is the zero point along the bar? Anybody have any ideas on this so we may best judge our attack speeds against our Defene rating.

Umm also ... make this sticky! heh heh

Take care Jynne!

oh p.s. +10 crit chance means your base 3% (anybody remember when this was 40%?!? LoL) plus the extra, ie giving 13%.

oh p.p.s. when reloading, if you imagine the attacks cycling, then they continue to do this while the weapon reloads, it just stops calculating the attack. so if you just start an attack cycle of say 2/2 (i.e. 4 seconds) and the weapon hasn't reloaded when it starts then the attack won't be calculated, BUT the attack cycle will still tick over. So, say the reload is complete 0.25 seconds into the 4 second attack, then you'll be waiting around for the next 3.75 seconds for the next attack cycle to begin before damage is calculated again!

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Dream; Sep 26th, 2003 at 12:09:44.

Great guide there.

A question though: in case of special attacks such as burst or full auto how is your attack rating calculated. Is it entirely based on your skill in the relevant special attack. Say my attack rating with my SMG is 164 and my burst skill is 130. When I do a burst specattack is it 130 which is considered when calculating whether I hit and my damage or 164 or a combination of both?

In other words how do my skill in the different specattack modifies the damage done by the special attack itself.

Thank you for your help,

Originally posted by Axemur
    Great guide there.

A question though: in case of special attacks such as burst or full auto how is your attack rating calculated. Is it entirely based on your skill in the relevant special attack. Say my attack rating with my SMG is 164 and my burst skill is 130. When I do a burst specattack is it 130 which is considered when calculating whether I hit and my damage or 164 or a combination of both?

In other words how do my skill in the different specattack modifies the damage done by the special attack itself.

Thank you for your help,
    At this time...

Specials always hit. The damage on some are affected by your attack rating; on others it is affected by your skill. No one has totally determined all the special damage formulas, however:

Fast attack and fling shot are extra "normal attacks." Skill doesn't increase damage, and they can critical hit.

Burst is three normal attacks that cannot crit. Skill doesn't increase damage.

Hope that helps a bit

Thanks. However what you say here also implies that it is absolutely unnecessary to invest skill points into for example burst or fling shot since it always hits and skill does not increase damage. Investing into burst skill is one of the two most recommended skills for fixers as others say. So there is a slight contradiction as I see it

I am quite devastated that no one knows this for sure.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast