Thread: MP Love

MP Love

Ah, the memories. While I was browsing through old threads looking for info about the pet nuke, I ran across a thread announcing the 2nd part of the MP love we recieved. This was back in December 2001. Ah, MPs were so optimistic back then. It was still far, far from rolling my own MP. I had no interest in joining the current "in crowd" profession (I didn't know terms like leet dewd back then).

I know I put too many quotes here for most of you to bother with. But I just got a chuckle reading the old balance comments.

/me humms the tune to the song memories
    posted by Cz in 13.4 : Meta Physicist changes

Third pet
    The 3rd pet will be added. It is a psychosis/mesmerize pet.

Healing pet fix
    Healing pets will no longer go into a coma if their target dies or fades away.
    posted by Cloudeh_

A third pet? hmmmm Lets hope not another advantage In PVP.
    But its a interesting idea, Im going to make a MP soon anyway
    posted by Greystar

Sweet, now if you make every profession as interesting as Metas, your game will be perfect

btw. what does that pet do actually ?

It looks like a sea of balls nowadys at the avalon borgs at times, the Meta profession is by far the most popular since you enhanced them, and I bet Crats are the next very popular profession. Don't stop there
    posted by Spookeymonster

We (MPs) were merely the first to receive re-balancing by Funcom. From the looks of it, 'Crats are getting a good working-over as well. In time, all professions will receive the same treatment. We may look uber now, but please hold your judgement until all the classes have been equally loved.

Cloudeh, what profession do you play that you have such a hard time fighting MPs? If you can root, root our pets. If you can charm pets, do so. If you can fling/burst/full auto, ignore the pets entirely and kill their master. Seems fairly straightforward, unless you've somehow gimped your character (no offense).
    posted by starknaked

If you're an adventurer, the best way to handle MP's in PVP is to run out of the PVP zone.

Of course, that's also the adventurer's best way of handling every other profession in PVP.
    posted by Scorus

PLEASE don't make the mez pet nanos mission-only. That is already the only way we can get the Amine and Creation lines and I'm really sick and tired of camping mission booths (the black market prices on these are exploiter-friendly). Make them like the Teachings line, available in a store near you...
    posted by Snow & Ellusion

About frigging time that healingpet got fixed, no offense. Bugs are natural, but what really annoys me is when they seem so easy to fix and nothing happens. An easy fix for the healerpet coma would be the pet fix you forgot to mention as MP fixes, namely the nolimit terminate.

What about the "side change" pets do when they zone?

Other than that, it looks to be a great patch again, keep up the good work.
    posted by Scorus

Originally posted by Spookymonster
    With the new trade skills booths, this may not be as big a problem as it used to be, Scorus (although I'd like to see the finished crystal available in shops too ).
    Do you have the 500K credits that it costs for the tools to make nanocrystals over Q20? I wish they would lower the prices on those two tools that cost over 200K at Q25, then more people would be able to afford to take up nanocrystal creation. That would help the supply and demand problem.
    Guy offered me Creation: the Crotalus nanocrystal the other day. For only 250K. And I'm sure he found a buyer, someone who had just bought another million credits off ebay.
    posted by Climate

Oooh thank you!

Not having the heal pet go into a coma combined with the ability to /pet terminate from anywhere (mentioned in the 'other changes' for this patch) should help with some of the more frustrating aspects of being a MP (which is a great profession )

Now if you could just fix pets getting lost in missions (and some of the 'line of sight' issues in certain missions which stop you from issuing commands then I think MPs will be happy for a long time to come.

New pet sounds interesting... Gonna look like a zoo in missions when I go there with my MP friend though hehe
    posted by Linta

Mixed feelings on this... 13.4 is still not the Fixer patch... Yet, the more I look at the MP fixes, the more it looks like Funcom can actually do some good things when they go around fixing a class... Same with Crats...
    posted by Breaku

Why are MP's constantly getting updates to their profession. 13.2 Gave them so much... Notice now that there's SSOO many MP's out there... who can destroy almost anything that moves. If you know how to play your character right that is....

And now a third pet?..... Bah.... this is just insane. Help out other classes who need help..... what ever happened to the ADV's?

- this game is getting out of hand.
    Wanted to highlight that one
    posted by Spookymonster

Cub,

These are all things FC promised us months ago, so I don't think it's a situation of "oh, MPs are still gimped... give them more". Rather, I think of it as an example of how Funcom plans to rebuild each profession. Our original class design pales in comparision to what we look like now. Six months from now (hopefully sooner ), I don't think any profession will look like it did on day 1.

Don't kid yourself - no one really thinks that MPs are destined to be the uber class in this game forever...
    posted by Lowburn

The third pet, to my knowledge, is the last expected 'big thing' to happen for MP's. So don't go raggin on em, especially when MP's suffered from mediocrity since beta.
    posted by Miriandel

To all the whiners saying "booohoooh metas didn't need anything at all anymore, they are UBER !": put a sock in it newbies !

Ok, ok, I've been a bit rude, but had to get that off my chest
    posted by Mor

I made a level 83 meta. They are a *bit* overpowered as it is. I don't think we need a 3rd pet. This 3rd pet will turn the meta into what the soldier was during beta.

But I guess ill wait and see though what this 3rd pet does before I say anything more.
    posted by Miriandel

I'm playing a meta since release and have gone through hell with this character.
    Our attack pets were as powerfull as a sword in a nuclear war, our healing pets didn't heal, our attack skills were dark blue, and we've been "fixed" only a month ago.

I honestly think we deserve what Funcom planned for us.

My only fear is the cry-babbies whining on metas, agents playing metas, engineers and soon crats.

Enforcer is the most powerfull class since release, nobody has never asked for a nerf beacause we all need enforcers.
    Metas soloing 60% missions past level 100 are an easy target.

About soldiers, they are a very powerfull class. A whole lot of players above level 100 are soldiers.
    When they'll reach 160+ and chain cast MK shield mark X, they will be the most powerfull class in the game.

So, the grass is not always greener over your fence, if people would concentrate on their own class, we wouldn't look "defensive" to anyone.
    posted by Psyche

Another ugly, stupid pet model...sigh
    Even EQs pets were cooler and take a look at DAoC pets.
    This is probably the last thing MPs will ask of Funcom. New pet models (discussed in its own topic on the mp boards)
    posted by Mor

Anyone *not* playing dumb, knows the Meta is very powerful now. I know because I made one (level 83). Don't judge the meta till you at least get your first healing pet lol.

I do think the meta is fine as is now. A bit overpowered yes, but not anymore so then an enforcer for example. No nerf is needed but adding a 3rd pet could be trouble.

Guess it comes down to just what this 3rd pet really does. If it's nothing major, no harm done. If it's major, then the meta can DD, use combat pet, use healing pet *and* a third pet to boot.

Also the healing pet never seems to run out of nano. Mine never has. Even docs can't heal themselves for that long in combat.
    posted by Snow & Ellusion

Yes, Metas are "powerful" - in their own way. Most people seem to judge a proffesion on what they do best. An agent firing off a succsessful AS, or an enforcer pulling of a huge dimach/brawl hit and still take a pounding with 5k hp must be equally powerful no?

Thing is, all proffesions have their strengths and weaknesses. I'm a little tired of ranting off the weaknesses every time someone "attacks" one of my proffession of choice, but take a look at the all powerful Meta:

* We can hardly do missions - the only way is to find a city/indoor/house type one if you're lucky, and traverse really slow and controlled. The minute something happens, bet on your pet getting stuck and causing you to die.

* Nearly ALL our useful clusters go in the SAME spots. Having played almost all the other proffesion, I could hardly believe my eyes when building my first meta set. Intelligence and Psychic, Matter Creation and Time&Space occupies the same spots - our 4 main skills. Psymod and Sensitivity also pretty much occupies the same spots. Once you finally manage to get some resemblance of a balance here, guess where the treatment clusters go to enable you to get em on? All this makes the Meta a constant sacrifice and balance issue, and we know we can never overbuff/overequip a damn thing. A level 35 enforcer in a full Q75 Elite outfit? No problem. I'm lucky if I get into my Q75 nano armor before lvl55.

* We burn through nanochargers at the same rate as Doctors do healing. Remove the ability to run missions for money and you quickly have a very poor sob. Not to mention the extreme cost of these new nanos that make us so "uber" - expect to pay a quarter million for a "lowlevel" nano other proffesions most likely find in shops for around 20-25k.

* We have no combat skills whatsoever. All combat related nanoskills are blue. Fair enough, but it doesn't quite justify the fact that we have very little diversity in programs besides the pets. The creation nanos are all nice and interesting, but the cost even for the simplest one is outrageous - the Metas you see around with creation weapons have most likely just given in to the curiosity. One thing is certain, once our pets go down, we're out of nano, and one of the million programs we have running times out, you better run.

But hey, it's fair enough. I adapt and overcome. Naturally I envy other proffesions for their strengths, but never try to bring another proffesion down to match your own proffesion's weakness. Agent's AS anyone?
    posted by Cz

Originally posted by Scorus
    Is /pet attack the command we will use to employ the mez pets or is there going to be a new command?
    Hm, very good question. I haven't heard of any new commands, so I am pretty sure it's "/pet attack", but I'll check to be absolutely sure.
    posted by Dudicas

It is /pet attack

I tested it last night. The command for the mezz pet is /pet attack.
    posted by Spookymonster

Dudicas!

Tell me more! Tell me more! I'm stuck at work for another 1 1/2 hour.

What is the name of the mez pet?

Do they appear in stores?

What level do they start at?

Argh! The pain, the pain!!!!
    posted by Satherial

If there is totally independent class, it is MPs. They don't have to hunt other people to cast buffs on them to make better pets
    You know why that is? Because we can't fit those damn buffs. I await the idea I can join a team and say "60 NCU left buff me up". On a good day (When I no longer have to buff to nuke) I can get the doc HP buff. At level 67 I have 107 NCU (Kind of low, but I have 1 27ncu and a range increaser) and at best I can take the doc HP buff.

You ask almost any MP what they do after another class buffs them and more then half the time it'll be deactivating them.
    posted by Dealingdeath

Stop the whining and nerf calls

Give the NERF WHINING a rest please.

MPs got their love and I'm sure the rest will get theirs in due time.

Lets please focus only on enhancements for professions and things that make the game better for all.

The Sea of Jobe and many other areas of RK have not even been implemented yet.

Let FC concentrate on fixing bugs, enhancing professions, and adding content and NOT nerfing any classes. Some classes have already been nerfed into near unplayability and others have been neglected becuase of a vocal whining minority. Soloing missions in PvM has become next to impossible for most professions and extremely time consuming for the rest.

In summary, we are in this together and we should all be trying to make this game enjoyable for everyone and NOT focusing solely on making our individual profession the best of the rest. Every profession should have a valuable role in the World of RK.

NERF THE WHINERS - STOP THE NERF MADNESS
    posted by HumpahumpaYummy

Agents used to be interesting until the Whiners ordered FC to smack us with the Nerf Bat. Careful with your newfound Love MPs if you get too popular you too will be smacked down (From useless to Uber back to useless...)
    posted by Satherial

Exactly WGMelchior - A game full of selfish people where they want to be the uber dood and destroy everything. It makes me laugh at how many people play an MP simply because they're 'uber'.
    posted by Megabio

Ah, yes, the good 'ol METAS R OVERPOWERED... Ah, I love this! It is so very fun to congratulate funcom on making a great profession.. better!

Is it not enough that every other person about 50 has rerolled / made an alt, which just happens to be a meta? It used to be hard to find a meta, now you can shout and five come running.

If it's still such a horrid or not ovepowered profession, then why are there so many? I am not one to say that this pet will be gods or be a second healing/damage dealing pet, but you know. It isn't like Metas are bad, that is for sure.
    Heals - they're not just for tradeskills anymore
    Hypos omni doc RK2 <-- stupid enough to have thought that going past level 150 would help her be a better doc
    Phlair omni mp RK2 solo char
    Nerfbat omni enf RK2 awarded the hammer of braveness
    Shadow Ops

and I bet Crats are the next very popular profession. Don't stop there
    ROFLMFAO !!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You know, if you add the statement "and then they hit level 150" after each of those posts, you have a great piece of comedy on your hands!
    Nanomage: The OTHER other white meat

I still stand by my post. MPs are uber omg! :P

-Ethernal

This post made me want to cry.

To use a movie line, "We were all so young back then" ...
    If you're looking for any of these programs -
    ClickSaver, PetNamer, Anarchy Online Inventory System (AOIS), Character Profiler, Chat Alert, or Log Reviewer, you can find them at this website here.

I don't know, seemed like a lot of the MP comments were right on.

Though it makes me remember that FC actually did fix a MP specific problem. A year and a half ago, I guess its no wonder that I forgot about this one out of many.

Of course the Crat/MP love was the fact that they were fixed to be able to have all three of their pets instead of just one. The unbearable love huh?

The sad part is that it has always seemed like they listend to the nerf callers when it came to MPs (Ahem, debuff protection debates). So indeed we got an incomplete mez pet and little was done to finish our profession since then.

Dealingdeath's post has to be my favorite.
    Clan Elder of The Pilgrims

The view that MPs were overpowered was fairly reasonable back then. They were being judged based on the common MPs of the day - around level 50 or 60. The MP power curve made them seem quite capable.

Throw in the facts that A) we didn't yet know how many of these things didn't quite work and B) FunCom had very quickly fixed the heal pet issue. That makes it look like any problems that do show up would be almost immediately addressed. So MPs that were already decent soloers (assuming they could control their pets) would theoretically get even better.
    Heals - they're not just for tradeskills anymore
    Hypos omni doc RK2 <-- stupid enough to have thought that going past level 150 would help her be a better doc
    Phlair omni mp RK2 solo char
    Nerfbat omni enf RK2 awarded the hammer of braveness
    Shadow Ops

once upon a time, there was an uber profession... the mp

I met some guys who left BEFORE i join AO, and they came back after that, they asked to my mp, is it still the BEST profession for mp...

well, i think it is still possible to do something with a mp, but curse of chronos + run and hope your pet will hit him and not miss isn t great for pvp... especially when the enforcer will catch you in 3sec

(i was pvping like that 6-7month ago)
    Vaultcitizen ADV 190. Teh pistol gimpness
    Catspawgirl NT 171. Pnh/Ior Dispenser
    Mareva Fix 167. GSF, Hot and fix grid Dispenser
    Canigou MP 135. CI Dispenser
    Pipboy2001 MA 80ish in gamboling doing /fblock.

Rubi-Ka 1

allways /tell Vaultcitizen

Keep in mind part of what made the MP "soooo Uber" was that we get game fixes that affected us first. Namely the ability to wield 3 pets.

This was before:
    Concealing made you invisible and untargetable
    Evades did anything
    Nano Resist did anything

and after:
    PvP damage cap
    Grace periods (stopped insta-kills while zoning)
    Hard cap on Nano Range
    ELLTS drop nerf

So yeah, MPs and Traders seemed purely unstoppable when Nano Resist checks didn't work. When the AR on our pets and our weapons was sufficient to hit anything including a GA fixer because evade checks didn't work. Too many people only judged uberness by what a profession could do with a one on one fight in an arena or solo missions. It wasn't a matter of "Loving", because its obvious to all the content they gave us was junk with the exception of now obsolete Animas. Team missions were still getting bugs worked out and so people still did a lot of outdoor hunting or solo missions.

Deciding we were uber because of what we could do at one point while the game was still broken though FC abandoned working on the MP at all until the throwaway effort which was 14.9
    Clan Elder of The Pilgrims