Thread: OOC: Thoughts on Omni Fixers

OOC: Thoughts on Omni Fixers

Here's something I was pondering in another post on AO Vault earlier today. Thought it was more fitted for this crowd.

--
    One thing I've always wondered is what an Omni fixer is (I'm sure Nevver can help with this). To me a fixer is someone who "fixes" things, no questions asked. Someone whose specialty is to bend the rules to solve problems, as well as having plenty of helpful contacts in the shadier parts of society. Also, it would be a very individualistic person, who doesn't take orders and don't care much for hierarchies.

Han Solo is the archetypical fixer in my mind, but it's also a cowboy type character (Han Solo is a lone rider, after all).

How does this rhyme with swearing allegiance to the company, which is all about rules and hierarchies and The Law?
    --

Along these lines, I've been thinking that it would be reasonable if some professions were only availbable in some factions. It would differentiate the factions more and make one or the other side more attractive to certain personalities. Any thoughts on that?
    Tenfour, Scienceleet, Abhaya, all on Atlantean
    AO Stuff

OOC:

I have the same opinion about Fixers and their "personality." As for Fixers in Omni-Tek, they could be viewed at as sort of a black ops kind of thing; like the one you send in when nobody else would do it.

Like in everything else, there is very little black and white, but mostly shades of grey. So, even in Omni-Tek, you have criminals and shady characters.
    Janella "Nevver" McCallagher
    Board Member of
    Devil's Advocate
    .·´¯`·..·»
    Why settle for less when you can oppress?

"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain
    "Nevver: Like the thing that hides in your closet. But worse." - Gueve

Also known as...
    Jacquelynn "Kaitakait" Moscardelli
    Sun "
    Jamais" Soleil
    Sari "
    Nixis" Wagner

Well there's a lot of money in Omni-Tek and money is a fixer's best friend. There's also more access to goods that can be ...ahem...redirected for a profit.
    Anastasia "Aniee" Cervenak
    Martial Artist

Man is the only animal that blushes, or needs to. -------Mark Twain

Also big companies hire former hackers to protect thier software form current hackers. OT fixers could be working to counter other affilations fixers. Also not everyone in OT plays by the rules.

Well... I reckon that all the 'shady criminalstuff' can seem not very compatible with the vision of OT in itself at first sight, but all in all, I don't think it's really a problem. OT is a very big company, and I'd doubt everybody in there completely plays by the rules. You need the shady ones to counteract the shady ones from other factions. As Myers wrote, you need the hackers to counteract the other hackers. You need people who are willing to take some risks in order to obtain info. And Aniee has the point too, because if thinking along a logical RP line, OT has the money, and the best means to obtain it. After all, it's easier to hack your way in if you're already in the place, so to say, and have certain access. It's certainly appealing to know that you'll be able to obtain the right tools for your job. And in a certain twisted way, having a little control over your head can divert attention and allow you more maneuvrability.

On another hand too, I'm not sure at all that NO crime exists within OT. Let's get honest, the company must most likely have its lot of corrupt Crats, of weird Docs doing their stuff in their dark little corner, etc etc. A Fixer in this has to act slightly differently from a Clan Fixer, but in the end, there will always be people in need of certain... services. Even if in a way, maybe the OT Fixer would best fit the hacker theme and the Clan/Neutral one the smuggler theme, so to say. They can live on the fringe of the company, operating in less watched areas. Or be employed full-time, on the contrary, maybe as the counter-hacker, maybe to play the shady type and obtain things better than they would if they were 'officials'... Is it really a barrier to imagination? I don't think so...

Allright. Now who here hasn't understood yet that I am an OT Fixer?
    Jen Markarian - Put the weirdness back in Omni-Mining
    Updating my stories -- 19/03/08. Going slowly, but certainly
    Anarchy Reloaded - AO webcomics for the sake of being silly

I never want to lose what I have finally found
    There's a requiem
    A new congregation
    And it's telling me: go forward and walk
    Under a brighter sky
    -- Delerium, Euphoria --

/me drops something on the table that might help.

There are many reasons for Fixers to be Omni.
    Vice President Cristin "Jypsie" Kaba
    Division 9 : Rational Science and Genotype Enforcement
    R.S.G.E Division 9

Webster is your friend.

You who consider yourselves actors and performers,
    if you play a compelling tune the people will dance.
    - Leetraider

Thanks! That was a big help. I have no problem visualizing OT fixers now, although I would suspect them to be different personalities from your mainstream OT soldier or 'crat.

Of course, Clan fixers are still the real ones, honest to their freedom-loving temperament, while their OT equivalents are complete corporate sellouts! See? I got it all down pat now!
    Tenfour, Scienceleet, Abhaya, all on Atlantean
    AO Stuff

Hmmm

So swearing alligence to Omni tek seems odd for somone like a fixer? What about swear alligence to the Clan? It wouldnt be called the clan if it wasnt an organization...thats neutral and by your definition Fixers should only be neutral. Han Solo was neutral...atleast to start off cause he was getting paid to help. Sure he had a change of heart i think and became part of the rebel movement but he wasnt quite the same person anymore, you get what im saying? If you think a huge company isnt going to have people who "Get things done" you aren't thinking hard enough :-p. Maybe they should have differant names for the classes depending on which faction you are...