Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Word filter

Re: Censorship

Originally posted by Animosity
    people who feel that getting rid of a particular word is censorship
    Well of course it is.

I still don't see why we aren't grown up enough not to be greatly offended by big bad words.
    Pimpernickel 220.19 Shade Stuff
    WTB Ogdan/Captured Spirit/Exsequiae patterns 1m per part and always in effect.
    100M for Spirit Siphon QL 272+

I am never offended by words. Racist, religious, profanity...it just doesn't have an effect on me.

That being said, not everyone is like me. And there are some people who, while not being offended by it, would rather not have to see it and hear it in chat every 20 seconds by kids who just can't seem to talk without those things. So unfortunately, a filter is needed.

Around people I know, I probably have one of the filthiest mouths around. But in game, and on the forums I have just enough respect for others that I leave that kind of talk out.

If it was just an occasional thing, it wouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately, without those controls, these boards would be worse for a 13 year old to look at than a month long marathon of John Holmes movies.
    Jellobiafra General of First Order
    First Order-Cleaning clanners since 29210
    Visit our website to join!!

Word filters are lame:

Here's why. A couple weeks ago I posted the following msg on the market forum. 'I have what you're looking for. Send me a tell if you want to d-i-c-k-e-r.' (minus the -'s) For those of you less familiar with English, that means to haggle or bargain.

This got translated to :'I have what you're looking for. Send me a tell if you want to ****er. Now when I got a message from this guy to go f*ck myself, I was somewhat confused. It wasn't till I went back later and read my own post that I realiezed what had happened.

Thanks for the feedback folks. I'll leave the filter as it is for now; i.e. with a little more lenience after the clean-up I did when starting the thread. The good ol' four letter words stay filtered, but I've taken away some less useful filters.

Closing the thread. Might pick up on it again later.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12