Thread: Vehicle Size

Vehicle Size

This may seem trivial, but...

I think vehicles are pretty cool in AO and they are definitely one thing we have in this game that one ups the other MMOGs out there. I just got a vehicle (a Mid, I like it, I look like a Probe droid driving around in it) which surprised me at this low level, but the only thing that bugs me about AO vehicles are their size. There is one model of vehicle that looks like a tiny bot when in use. The funny thing is, there are full sized static models of this vehicle in some cities and the full sized version looks way cool. FC, why not make our vehicles vehicle-sized when we are driving/flying them?

For that matter, what ever happened to aquatic vehicles?

Edit: the tiny bot sized vehicle I was talking about is a Kodiak.
    Last edited by FeloniousPunk; Feb 20th, 2002 at 03:47:09.
    Numi7, Omni-Tech Employee
    Solitus Engineer
    Division 3 [Omni Reclamation]
    RK2

Lets keep the cars small, I'm pretty sure that big cars take more resource for the client to draw than the small ones.

But vehicles have uniform appearance; i.e. a yalm looks like every other yalm in the game. Would it really be that much of a burden on the client compared to the burden of having to draw completely unique appearances for every player toon in a zone?
    Solitus Engineer
    RK2

I've said before that one way for Funcom to suck some of the money out of the high level players, and cut down on the inflation in the game, would be to make some high priced unique looking yamalhas.

Make a black yamalha, or a rainbow colored one, or some such thing, only sold in stores, and sell it for 40 million credits. Make it 10% faster than the others. High level players will buy them.

I think that would be a great idea to put in different vehicle sizes and more colors. And, responding to the first message I have actually seen a water vehicle, its the only one I have ever seen and I'm not sure where I found it. It did seem a little pointless though with the lack of major bodies of water on Rubi-Ka. I think I'll stick with the yalm.

Cool Varied vehicles

Varying the textures and colors of a vehicle would NOT overburden the game client. Neither would the increased size, as long as the polygon count remained constant.

And the addition of a "Vehicle Painting Kit-[texture/color]" in the Superior stores that cost a huge bundle of credits would allow customization would be the perfect thing for the High-Level Characters to waste money on.

/me buys a "Vehicle Painting Kit - Red Color"
    /me applies a "Vehicle Painting Kit - Red Color" to her Yalmaha.
    /me buys a "Vehicle Painting Kit - Racing Stripes Texture"
    /me applies a "Vehicle Painting Kit - Racing Stripes Texture" to her Yalmaha.
    /me looks at her Yalm.
    /me whistles and says "Now that's a sharp looking car!"

Hey, FunCom? Are you listening?

*scatters cookies to attract Cosmik/Cz*
    • Lvl48 Agent on RK1
    • 3D Graphics Programmer IRL
    • FORMER Geographical Information Systems (GIS) Programmer & Platform Manager (ERDAS, Inc.)

MmmmMMMmmmmMMM cookies... *munch**munch**munch**munch**munch**munch*
    *munch**munch**munch**munch**munch**munch*
    *munch**munch**munch**munch**munch**munch*

HEY where is the milk

thats cool

thats cool

Unhappy Those aren't yours!

Hey! I left those here to attract Cz or Cosmik.....don't eat their cookies!
    • Lvl48 Agent on RK1
    • 3D Graphics Programmer IRL
    • FORMER Geographical Information Systems (GIS) Programmer & Platform Manager (ERDAS, Inc.)

Post Good Idea

I think making vehikles a much more real larger size would be great, inst this game susposed to be realistic. it sucks seeing all these little things hovering and skitting arround. adding real sized vehikles would make a more sence of traffic and realism. i mean isnt a city susposed to be full of traffic? seeing the little bug sized droid looking things isnt that cool. a good way to put this idea into play would to have a lvl where vehikles would fly just above where people walk, and close enuff to where you could activate reclaim terminals and that such stuff.. FC you should rilly look into this idea!!!

My kodiak is about the size of a remote control car. It looks really frickin' stupid if you ask me (which you didn't).

And what the hell is up with it's idle animation? Why the hell does it swing side to side like it's shaking it's head no? A subtle up and down bob like the mid would be much better if you ask me (which, again, you didn't).

Talking

I would like to see some sort of a weapon upgrade for vehicles... make them expensive and slow but the more they cost the more damage they do... Imagine doing a bombing run from your Yalm

just to point out

have you ever stood near a mission booth that is crowded and tried to get yer mouse pointer into that 3 pixels of space where no one is standing? imagine how MORE crowded it would get...

as for the weapons upgrades, yeah right.....now thise twinked lev 20's with alts chars that are lev 180 that have millions to buy stuff as is will not only have yalms....but the ability to pvp while strafing ....right........

Re: just to point out

Originally posted by CorwynRose
    have you ever stood near a mission booth that is crowded and tried to get yer mouse pointer into that 3 pixels of space where no one is standing? imagine how MORE crowded it would get...
    Nope, I never have, because I play on RK2 and I doubt we have the player density to get crowding like that. I've never even seen Trade that crowded.

Except for maybe today, with the mass exodus of all the Rk1's.
    Solitus Engineer
    RK2

heh....yeah, adicts aren't they? evilgrin

Vehicle size operates on the same mode player size operates under; increasing your scale 103% with a pioneer pack increases vehicles scale, etc. I have Pioneer Pack (103%), Enlarge (108%), Bracers of Growing Flesh, (101% and 102% respectively) as part of my social getup. I'd like to get more... but a side effect is that it makes my Kodiak and Yalm huge. My Kodiak used to be much larger than shop booths, and my Yalm drawfs most everything (the vehicle models are scaled down to 20%, so any increase in scale affects them more). The same goes for being small; a lot of the tiny cars seen are size buffed people. FC managed to bj0rk Enlarge and make it make you seem tiny, for instance.

I do agree with CorwynRose... hard enough to get through to the mission terms as is.

YOu basically want them to apply the clothes dye from DAoC to AO's vehicles... probably not a bad idea. I'd like to see more customization, like tweaking things with the screwdriver...
    Aleksei "Zagadka" Garcia - Savior, Council Clerk
    Cindi "Razishlyat" Bolieu - Advisor Eternalist

im afriad that the description for the kodiak already says 'available in many colors and shapes

Originally posted by starknaked
    I've said before that one way for Funcom to suck some of the money out of the high level players, and cut down on the inflation in the game, would be to make some high priced unique looking yamalhas.

Make a black yamalha, or a rainbow colored one, or some such thing, only sold in stores, and sell it for 40 million credits. Make it 10% faster than the others. High level players will buy them.
    I know I would :-) A Yalm in badass-black color? I'd go for that any day! And yes, it a good way to cut down inflation in the game.

Btw, I've seen water-based vehicels sell in Harry's.
    ~Have you hugged your leet today?~

F̶u̶n̶c̶o̶m̶ ̶l̶i̶s̶t̶e̶n̶s̶ ̶:̶)̶
    Thanks for "fixing" DM, Funcom, yeah, no really... thank you so, so much. I was missing having my toolset put back to 2007.