Thread: A question about 'cars'.

A question about 'cars'.

Anyone else drive a land vehicle here? Anyone else wanna know who replaced your engine with that wound up rubber band under the hood?

Here's the skinny... I have 130 in my run speed, my car gives me 245 bonus run speed when equipped for a total of 375 run speed. My friend has a run speed of 126. When in my car and running along side of him I barely (and I mean BARELY) creep past him in speed. Now seems to me that with more than three times the run speed, I should be going about three times faster than him in a dead run.

If that weren't enough... Here's another little kicker to think about. My friend also has a Yalmaha, it gives him 242 bonus to his run speed. When he equips his car, and I equip mine I have a total run speed of 375 and he has a total run speed of 368. If he and I start out even at a dead run he is literally out of my sight in open ground in less than 3 full seconds. So the kicker is, even though I have higher movement speed than he does I will still get left in the dust in a flat race.

Synopsis... Here are a few lines of thought I'd suggest if your nearing the level to purchase or start finding vehicles in missions. 1. Never spend your IP on Ground Vehicle skills, those points will increase your speed M U C H more if you put them into the Run Speed skill.
    2. Never spend your money on a Ground Vehicle, you would be simply wasting your hard earned cash seeing as you'd need to be saving it up for a vehicle that will actually ADD to your speed.
    3. Saving and/or spending the IP on your Run Speed may actually be better in the long run (seeing as how Ground Vehicles move incredibly slow) since that run speed may actually add to air vehicles.
    4. Either Run Speed does not add to your total speed when driving a Ground Vehicle, Ground Vehicle's listed speeds is incorrect, or Ground Vehicles are bugged as a whole and SHOULD be going as fast as they are listed.

Please feel free to copy and paste this in any forum you all think this might get a bit of attention, I'd be quite happy if this were given attention by the Dev team or any players were able to avoid the loss of cash and or IP due to Ground Vehicles.
    Thank you in advance for your attention to this matter. If you should have any further questions or comments please contact someone at my office and I'll try to get back to you.

In this game knowledge is power because funcom tries to gank ppl at every turn. I have heard that yalms have an unlisted 1400+ runspeed boost. That is why I bought the ql 30 yalm instead of a higher one, because the lower cost, and the lower IP cost. So many ways that funcom tries to F$%# us up, it's horrible. The General consensus is that funcom really doesn't care about it's players, and is totally absentminded. I read these forums and see ppl hating the new patch and what funcom did, and I read EQ forums, and they actually many times try to backup verant (if that's the company that makes EQ). A large part of roleplaying games is the love for the game/future, and by future, I am refering to the company. When I see funcom replying to ppl's messages, and then those thoughts are transfered into the next patch, and the small ideas are not taken (like backpacks, especially if they're going to be crap expensive). Then we will be happy. Mabye funcom is just trying to hide a fact that they suck at doing their work now that the graphical/skills part is done. And of course, funcom will never reply to this post or any other, because they are lazy or stupid or dying. Sad.

and I read EQ forums, and they actually many times try to backup verant
    LOL! You've got to be kidding, right? EQ players are NOTORIOUS for constantly bagging on Verant! You should have heard the ingrates bashing Verant after the Luclin expansion came out. It's a common occurance that people that post on these types of boards constantly complain about the game developer, lest they be considered fanboys! God forbid!

Sorry, Isaah, these posts had nothing to do with your question.
    "Hey, hey now. Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean.
    'Cause, remember, no matter where you go..... there you are."
    -Buckaroo Banzai

yeah i played EQ and i was one of those bashing it because of the damned SoL expansion, it made the servers and game so unstable and Lucin wasn't even all that great....the only think i liked about SoL was how it made the elements (Magicians pets) look like....

This is what I heard or know:
    If you had 30 Runspeed and triple your runspeed to 90 after a bunch of levels, your speed isn't tripled. If you have 125 Runspeed and your car give you a max of 375, you don't go triple the speed, You go faster. My character has 120 Runspeed, and my friend runs faster than me and he hops in his Kodiak and I can't keep up. Cars do help. If you've got the need for speed and the Yalm is still about 5million Credits away, take the Kodiak, but if you don't want to "waste" IP, walk.
    About the Yalm, Although it gives a Runspeed bonus, Yalms all have pretty much the same "Air Speed." This is only what I've heard and it makes sense. Screw what it says, theres a hidden Airspeed thing and they know it. Like swimming for water, running for ground.Get a ql 30 Yalm, its got that 1400 airspeed, that doesn't mean you move 14 times faster than a guy with 100 runspeed.
    -- Falling never killed anyone, its always the landing.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
    RK-1
    |OT|
    Telgi-61 Solitus Enforcer
    Gauf-31 Nanomage Doctor
    Saruzi- -=128=- Opifex Nano-Technician.
    Manstien-44 Solitus Soldier

There is no such thing as "Airspeed". Thing is, I got a Yalm QL60. I dont remember how much more it gives me in runspeed, but I think it's something like 245. I have 523 total when equipped with my Yalm. I have been using it now for the last month, so I have gotten used to the speed. Then an adventurer(?) comes along, and boosts me for 700+ in runspeed. RUNSPEED, not "Airspeed". And yes, I DID notice the difference... alot. I would say my runspeed was more than doubled.

From what I can tell, your actual runspeed affects the yalms speed, but the runspeed bonus on yalms doesn't make any difference... what I mean by this is if I have 200 runspeed, and my friend has 400 runspeed, we can both equip yalms of any QL, and he will always outfly me.

-D

Here's the skinny... I have 130 in my run speed, my car gives me 245 bonus run speed when equipped for a total of 375 run speed. My friend has a run speed of 126. When in my car and running along side of him I barely (and I mean BARELY) creep past him in speed
    Hmmmm... Well, last night I was driving through Pleasant Meadows, Eastern Fouls Plains and Southern Fouls Hills in my Kodiak Turbo IX (QL 55, runspeed 280), and was able to outrun Night Predators, Fatestealers, Lesser Greywolves, Old Gargantulas, Lesser Woodwolves and Speckled Bloodcreepers! All of which would have severely kicked my level 42 ass! So, I'm not sure what's up with your ride, but my ground vehicle certainly makes a big difference in runspeed. If it didn't, I wouldn't be here typing this, I'd be at some reclaim terminal waiting for my bodily remains to be reconstructed!
    "Hey, hey now. Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean.
    'Cause, remember, no matter where you go..... there you are."
    -Buckaroo Banzai

I was under the impression that ground travel was so slow due to the fact that you are "on the ground" moving up and down slopes, even if they are small inclines.

Remember, adventuring increases your speed moving vertically, and run speed horizontally.

In other words, I would think that maxing run speed and adventuring would yield amazing results.

Just an FYI, I did this on a lvl 50 MA I had kicking around with nothing to do. He went faster...

Provisioner

For one, someone with a run speed of 90 does not run 3 times as fast as someone with a run speed of 30. Can you imagine how insane this would be if the system scaled like that? You run pretty fast with your starting run speed of 10 or so. It's possible for some classes to get a run speed of 1000. See my point?

Second, the Yalmaha doesn't have to deal with the curvatures of the terrain. The Yalm can go in a straight line from point A to point B while your kodiak is going to be going up and down on the bumps and hills, adding to his over all distance.

WHAT?????????........

And I thought "The Mid", my Mid, I found in a chest was sooooooo fast.......hmmm.

Exclamation Finally someone gets it right!!!!

Originally posted by EvilGlitch
    For one, someone with a run speed of 90 does not run 3 times as fast as someone with a run speed of 30. Can you imagine how insane this would be if the system scaled like that? You run pretty fast with your starting run speed of 10 or so. It's possible for some classes to get a run speed of 1000. See my point?

Second, the Yalmaha doesn't have to deal with the curvatures of the terrain. The Yalm can go in a straight line from point A to point B while your kodiak is going to be going up and down on the bumps and hills, adding to his over all distance.

Evil is 100% right. The Yalm is not subject to 'curvature of the land' or other such influences. One thing that may influence ground vehicles is type of terrain,are you on a road, going up hill or down, or traveling through patches or grass. All of these things appear to affect overall speed (as per a test with a friend that had same run speed and same ql Kodiak equiped.

The point is, I don't regret the IP I pushed into ground vehicle so that I could equip the ql 32 Kodiak I found. It has been well worth it for the last 30 lvls, but I will instantly sink whatever IP nesecary into Air vehicle when I finally get my Yalm....whenever that is....
    Princess"Lashleigh" Tabledancer - Unit member of Nirvana

Yes, I had my own fan club. Behold the power of spam....

Post A little more testing.

We did a little more testing, this time with another friend of ours who has a MID (Since that vehicle sucked so outrageously bad we'll not even include it's performance here). Roads seemed to make absolutely no diffference in move speed at all, we checked this by visual trial (running side by side on and off the road 10 or 11 times), and by timing how long it took us to travel from a stone near the road to a building on a straight stretch of road. Each timed drive got us to the building in 23 seconds on the road, and 23 seconds off the road (we actuall went a good distance off of the road to allow for any kind of terrain/texture type crossover that could have affected the results).

We also tested the 'curvature of the land' theory in Newland desert just last night. We found a stretch of land that took us over two moderate inclines, this test was quite a bit harder because we had to find an equal distanced travelling point that would not take us over hills. Even though the measurements on this test may be off by an estimated foot to three foot at most, we couldn't find that travelling over hills caused any significant difference in movement either. Both series of tests got us from our starting point to the skull totem in 31 seconds.

We are currently levelling a character for the sole purpose of getting a natural runspeed to match the current improved runspeed of our Kodiak. Hopefully this will let us know whether or not a pure run speed can match or beat an improved vehicular run speed.

Overall the testing isn't so much to dispute whether or not vehicles are useful, but whether or not you are getting the most bang for your buck (and IP). I personally can even say that due to the speed attributed me by my Kodiak I've been able to escape death by vultures no less than three times. On the issue of Air Vehicles I would tend to agree with the posters that stated there may be a hidden or unspecified 'bonus' to movement. Not to mention the sheer usefulness of being able to fly over terrain and buildings instead of having to go around them.

P.S.

Thanks for the input gang, I've got a TON of PMs from this thread and the other in the classes section.
    Thank you in advance for your attention to this matter. If you should have any further questions or comments please contact someone at my office and I'll try to get back to you.