Thread: The Move

The Move

It was snowing. She stood at the balcony with the screen door open letting in the silent solitude of the falling snow fill the high-rise apartment. Down bellow the streets were too busy to care but up here she felt so desolate and alone she wanted to cry. She held out her hand and let the flakes land on her palm. They melted as soon as they landed. ‘So futile…’ she thought, ‘ we are all snowflakes but once we land on Rubi-ka’s conflict ridden palm we all melt away on its hot surface.’
    Sam came in the room, disturbing her solitude. “Jack and Laura just left, they bid goodbye and wished you luck.” He sounded tired. He was tired from months of preparations and the anticipation of the final day.
    “Remind me again why I’m leaving” she said as she closed the screen door.
    “You know the company needs you out there. Doctors are in short supply and Omni-tek is losing the war.” He said it more to convince himself than anything else, a rehearsed reply, a reply she always heard from him when she asked the difficult question. “Come, tomorrow is a big day, it’s time for bed.”

Jayne couldn’t sleep; she was too nervous and too scared. She kept thinking about all the things she was going to miss, the anxiety about her brave new world was too overwhelming. She looked over at Sam and wondered if he was going to miss her too. Her slight stir made him cling tighter to her and she knew that this was a silent affirmative yes. She looked back at the clock: 3:12 am glaring in a big LCD display looked back at her. ‘Three more hours, then you’ll be in hypersleep’ she thought. Did people dream in hypersleep?
    It was still snowing. “I’m going to miss that too’ she thought as she watched the shadow of the falling snow illuminated on the wall opposite the bare window; it didn’t snow on Rubi-ka.

Saying goodbye was the hardest part. She walked down the long hallway with a group of others also on their way to Rubi-ka. They walked in silence; they all shared that empty feeling of leaving everything behind. It was an uncomfortable silence but no one knew what to say to break it. They were finally greeted by a technician and were relieved of the uncomfortable silence of their company as he led them to their respective pods in the ship’s human cargo area.
    The technician came up to Jayne’s pod to do the final adjustments.
    “Do people dream in hypersleep?” she asked.
    Taken by surprise, the technician let out a nervous laugh, “Honestly ma’am I’ve never been in hypersleep.” With those words he closed the pod, the respiratory mask silently fit over Jayne’s face and a needle injected the sweet juices of the sleeping agent into Jayne’s arm. She lost consciousness.

Jayne did have a dream, but it was a rather disappointing one. A wasp: no heroics or hidden meanings – just an annoying wasp continuously stinging the back of her neck. She was now sitting in the briefing room along with the others, rubbing the back of her head where the sore spot fro the dream was. They were several hours away from plannetfall at the Rubi-kan spaceport. The captain of the ship has gathered them all here to give final orders. Each one of them had a card with specific instructions in front of them.
    “Remember, this is a clandestine operation. Each of you has a unique set of code words that will enable you to recognize your contact. This is supposed to ensure clans don’t intercept you before you reach Omni-1. The Spaceport is crawling with clan and ICC spies so be on the lookout. The company could have transported you openly, but unfortunately the port is controlled by the ICC and they explicitly stated that it’s against Omni’s contract to import more personnel onto the planet.”
    Jayne was listening to the captain ramble on about the responsibilities of Omni employees. She thought she heard this speech somewhere before. Perhaps it was at her graduation ceremony from the academy. ‘Perhaps they all have it memorized and each one embellished on it in one way or another…god this itch in he back of my neck is really annoying!’ She reached out her fingers where it bothered most and felt some moisture. She removed her hand only to find blood on her fingers. The sight of it gave Jayne a slight start, she looked at the drop slowly roll towards the palm and it reminded her of that night when she let the snow melt in her hand, only this time it was blood. It made her think about the consequences of her coming here again. Were she to attend the wounded soldiers only to see them sent back out onto the battlefield to spill more blood? Or was her role to prevent more blood from being shed? These were the demons Jayne faced back on Omni-prime and they were still haunting her after two years of dormant unconsciousness. She was hoping these questions would be answered by her contact on Rubi-ka.

((OOC: ok this is my first ever RP story, it follows how Jayne Cifuentes (Farmacist - see below) came to Rubi-ka. everyone is welcme to comment in RP or OOC mode, but i would realy appreciate it if someone from Rimor followed up on this. also be on the lookout for the next chapter enjoy!)
    This is Me, and this is Me PWNING a Heckler, WOOT!
    *all artwork is copyright protected originals by Mr.Fli

Originally posted by Cz
    And we all know Omni kick clan butts anytime.
    Freshman Jayne "Farmacist" Cifuentes

This is Great

OOC:
    This is a well written little story. I'm intrigued to read more. I hope you will continue to write

New Home (breaking old contacts and forming new ones)

The port was rather small, and crowded too. Freight cars carried crates full of notum to be exported to other planets in the system. The place bustled with refugees fleeing the conflict and new arrivals anxious to take their place.
    “Have the medical supplies arrived?” She heard a voice behind her.
    “On schedule, as the company ordered.” Jayne replied.
    “Dr. Jayne Cifuentes.” Was her contact’s reply.
    “And you are Dr. Livsi I presume” Jayne said it almost blushing.
    “Is something wrong doctor?” The man was quick to notice a change in Jayne’s expression, a sign that this man was very observant and very aware of his atmosphere.
    “No…I was just expecting someone a bit older.” Jayne said it casting her eyes aside in embarrassment.
    “Appearances aren’t everything. To be honest I was expecting someone a bit older too. You look like you just got out of training with Omni-Med. Did you even have residency before they reassigned you here?”
    Jayne opened her mouth to reply but he didn’t let her “Ah well…I guess the company expects the younger ones to learn faster…but I’ll tell you I’ve seen people as young as you – even younger – perish faster than you learn….I guess I can’t have my pie and eat it too…we just have to work with what we have.”
    He let out a sigh, a sigh that signified the deep frustration of dealing with the endless bureaucracy and red tape of corporate protocols. “Come, I’ll show you were you’ve been stationed.”

“Omni-Admin allotted you an apartment in Rome Blue, high-rise 7. It’s not very luxurious but life on Rubi-ka isn’t very luxurious either. You will find a basic store northwest of your apartment complex; there you can buy all the supplies you will need for now. Your back yard also has a Holo-world training area. I know you graduated with Honors from the academy, but field medicine is different here and requires a bit of training first. Ah here we are.”
    They stood at the entrance of Jayne’s new residence. The doctor handed her the apartment key, a merit board with her ID, and a package of basic supplies, which included a solar pistol, some medical stims, an OT t-shirt (the standard recruit uniform), a comm.-link device and a sum of 1000 credits.
    “Your training begins tomorrow at 0800 hours, don’t be late.” With that he left Jayne on her own.

She stood in the middle of her apartment. Indeed it was nothing compared to what she left on Omni Prime: a hallway leading to a single room with no windows, a small lavatory, it was unfurnished, except for a small computer mounted to the wall with the words “Welcome to Rubi-Ka Dr. Cifuentes” flashing across the screen. She touched it with her fingers and a computer-generated face of monotonous perfection replaced the words. It smiled at her and a pleasant voice rang though the room, “Welcome home Dr. Cifuentes, is there anything I can assist you with?”
    Home…how absurd the meaning of this word seemed right now…Jayne was a stranger in a strange world, yet to be accepted here she had to accept the fact that she could never go back, that now this was her home, no matter how alien it felt.
    “Yes…send out a message to Samuel McCallister on Omni Prime,” she thought about it a moment “tell him…I have a new home. And please call me Jayne…I had enough formalities for one day.”
    This is Me, and this is Me PWNING a Heckler, WOOT!
    *all artwork is copyright protected originals by Mr.Fli

Originally posted by Cz
    And we all know Omni kick clan butts anytime.
    Freshman Jayne "Farmacist" Cifuentes