Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Soloing and Teaming (the conclusions)

Thumbs up Monster Hate

I read a reply about monster hate being risky and you might get killed 10 times. My suggestion against that is to make it so that death makes the hate list get removed. If I kill someone because they make me mad, I'm not going to keep going after them =0)

Raptir

Fogan (Enforcer) on RK1
    Draelon (Engineer) on RK1

/me comes back, looks aroung for some offical mention about fixers.

/me cries

lilnymph
    Lilnymph - Clan Fixer - RK1
    lilnymph wrote on November 21st, 2003 08:01:01:
    You may take our postcount threads, but you will never take our FREEDOM!!!!!
    Originally posted by Cz
    The post count is mine! All mine! Mwahahahah!

40.476190476190474% of me is a huge nerd! How about you?
    Style over Substance

poor sweetie

/me hugs lilnymph

/me doesnt bother looking around for any mention of fixers, cuz there aint gonna be one
    My lungs arent blackened by tar, they're blackened by SIN!

You'd think Funcom would at least have the decency to say either:

1) "As Gaute stated, we feel that Fixers have been fixed and are addressing the professions that were listed in his message as needing attention."

or

2) "Gaute's message had an oversight, we understand that Fixers are still in need of a lot of help and we are addressing that in the immediate future. Sorry about the confusion."

But that would require a level of professionalism that couldn't be more absent in Funcom's day-to-day operations. They more and more give the impressions that they are just kids playing with computers and not people who know how to run a business.

Scorus

Unhappy Team Missions

Well, FC has acknowledged that there is a "BIIG Yes!" to Team Missions. So what's Up? Any ETA's for this? Special and Rare Items with special boss monsters in Team Missions would add a brand new dimension to the game. It looks like FC has had a tough time with this. Too bad.

Proffession fixes?

None of the proffessions has that many bugs as the ma:

- Minimum damage bug,
    - Ma weapons useless - laughable damage of the ql 200 ma weapons.
    - Ma attacks useless (damage too low, recharge time too high),
    - bows - low dmg, low criticals, bow special attack still broken.
    - many high level nanos broken or simply not working (cohort, horde),
    - nano resist broken

Those are only the major ones, but the list is endless .... check martial artist forum sometime for more details ..

And btw.. I belive you all read the last patch release notes about the Attack of the Snake > ql 100 being fixed. Yeah it was fixed, but it hits ALWAYS for 1 nanobot dmg .... also the patch side effect - BBCS ma attack calming part (before it was 4-5 sec calm every 3 mins) is reported to be broken .. ohh joy .

Also note on the evade buffs - if they make, evades buffs stack, we wont find ncu space to use them .. we just need better evades buffs .. and self-only.

V.

Let’s just get this out of the way.

FIX THE FIXER!!!

Ok now for some thoughts on making Soloing and Teaming more fun.

Soloing (missions)

Henchmen
    Let support classes be support classes. Add mission henchmen to the game. We all know that it is more fun play with others, so even if you are soloing we should be able to add computer controlled party members.

Allow a checkbox on the mission terminal that when checked will add a tank type henchman that will accompany you on solo missions. The henchman will receive a part of the experience just as a normal player would. Also, the mobs in the mission will be made more difficult, but the loot and reward will remain the same. This is to compensate for the extra firepower. Let the henchman be controlled by the normal pet commands. Finally, make the solo mission truly solo and not allow the mission key to be duplicated.

Soloing Profession Mission Handicaps
    Another idea to help solo play is to directly aid professions that have a hard time soloing. Once again make solo missions truly solo with no mission key duplicating. Then provide a handicap to each profession based on how difficult they are to solo. The handicap will be subtracted from the mission difficulty to determine the actual difficulty of the mobs. All other variable will remain the same: mission reward, experience, loot.

Btw, expand the range of mobs in calculating the con as players increase in level. As it is now, higher-level players are getting their butts kicked by grays and greens.

Teaming (hunting outside)

Mobs per Fight
    The most fun I have ever had in AO (by an order of magnitude) was when attacking numerous mobs that conned yellow. These battles generally lasted longer, but were fast paced and usually ended with someone giving a tell saying something like “OMG that was awesome”. Because the mobs were yellow everyone feels like they are useful. It is better to concentrate fire but if you had to you could take one out by yourself. The lack of experience points per mobs is made up for by the fact that you are killing more of them faster.

Funcom should tweak the experience system so that the experience points gained over time is greatest in this situation. Also provide more hunting spots where player can hunt like this. The extra mobs should not be simple “adds” but agro when any of its members are attacked. Crowd control starts to become real useful when this happens.

A lot of AO's problems are occuring because the best way to gain experience is to attack mobs way over your level. Unfortunatly, some professions have a huge dropoff in effectiveness as mob levels get higher then their own. The game should reward killing mobs in your level range.

Finally, it is just boring to have everyone in the group shooting for minimum damage against a single uber mob.

Mob Diversity
    One of the biggest mistakes in designing camp spots and mob AI was to design encounters around a single mob type. Players should have to contend with a diverse group of mobs in every battle. This increases the number of variables and promotes strategy. Certain professions should match up better against certain mobs so all players can feel useful. Currently all mobs tend to fight the same. They have a lot of hitpoints, high AC and damage which only favor high damge per attack professions.

New mob types to add
    • Fast, Healing, Low HP: Fast mobs that run away when low on health. They will return when healed up. Favors profession with, speed, snares and roots
    • Flying, long range: Flying mobs that attack from above. Favors profession with range and roots
    • Low HP, Numerous (Swarms): Each individual isn’t very powerful but taken together are formidable. Favors area of effect damage and fast attacks
    • Low HP, Numerous (Serialized): It might be tough on the FPS to have a true swarm. A compromise could be a creature that exists partially outside our world. Only a few will be solid and visible at a time. As one dies, another will take its place until all are gone. Another twist for is that mobs resurrect for a set number of times. Favors fast attack.
    • Low hitpoints, special attack: I’d consider these mobs more as a guided missile. They would be support only and are not intended to exist by themselves. The special attack could be a stun, high damage, roots, snares, interrupts casting…

They can be summoned by the main mob and are used to attack secondary personnel. In general they should be easy to destroy but would command immediate attention when they appear. Favors snares, roots, long range attacks.
    • Stealth mobs: Mobs will disappear and players will lose targeting if perception isn’t high enough. If they attack or are attacked they will become visible for a short period of time then disappear again. Favors high perception. I know you are worried about client side cheat but their affects would be minimum because the player couldn’t attack a mob that was suppose to be invisible. So even if they knew where they were, it wouldn't be much help. It is not like the mob’s AI would be that great and they would be stalking the players.
    • Stationary long attack range w/ variable damage: Snipers whose damage is reduced the further away the target is. At long range they would do medium damage but in close it would be massive. The mob is inside a fortified bunker that will have same effect on player damage i.e. long range attacks will do minimum damage. Favors players with high Conceal and high quick damage (Agents). This type of mob should be considered support only and will only appear to protect a camp.
    • Exploding mobs: The built up energy stored in the mobs will be released upon its death causing high area of effect damage in a small radius around it. Favors long range attack or high hitpoints. Snares or roots help to get away from it.

Greater Experience Fewer Fights
    The reason this game feels like a level treadmill is because you are always doing the same thing when hunting. Attack mob. Kill mob. Heal up. Repeat.

It would be better if the combat were only a portion of your hunting time and that other things could come up that would force you to move or require your attention. To compensate for the enforced downtime, these mobs should give greater experience.
    • Entice players to move around by having camping spots dry up.
    • Have a dungeon open up in the middle of a camp that has been hunted for a while. Have the loot greater in the dungeon or have the dungeon connected to the outside area in some way to give the players a reason to enter. For example, announce that a distress signal will be sent. The players will have a limited amount of time to enter the dungeon and find the communications room before powerful reinforcements arrives.
    • Create high level boss mobs that roam the area. These mobs should agro but over a shorter range. They should also be very tough and are not intended for the players to actually defeat. This would force players to move around to avoid it/them. Btw it doesn’t hurt to have a constant fear to keep the heart pumping.

I miss this about EQ. In EQ there always seemed to be a mob that you had to avoid and would send shivers down your back. In AO most of the time, players can take out any mob that appears in their hunting area. The fear just isn’t there. I will admit that when I first hunted in Mort it did feel like old times but eventually this turned into the same old thing. I haven’t been back since PvP started so who knows.
    • Make players seek out and kill high agro mobs that will likely interfere in their fights. It should be that if you are fighting in an area and spot one of these type that you should quit hunting there for a while and track it (and its friends?) down before they try to gank you. Don’t make these mobs easy to corner either. Fighting them should not feel like fighting the normal mobs. Reward the amount of time required to track and kill this mob with increased experience.
    Last edited by Crin; Feb 12th, 2002 at 22:52:32.

Cool Soloing and Teaming...

I've been a member of the AO community almost from the time the servers went up on the final version, and I really enjoy the game immensely -- the role playing, socialization, character enhancement, etc. However, I've find it difficult keeping up with all the changes from patch to patch.

For example, I can remember hunting at the Temple (northwest of Tir) and it went from becoming the "Home Depot" of hunting grounds to a rather tranquil place! I've always enjoyed team play but I also like the thrill of "going it alone" and using my wits (and my Engineer's Bot) to get by. However, that becomes difficult when, no matter what level I'm at, everything around me is either gray (giving me 1 XP for a kill) or too tough for me to handle alone without getting sliced and diced back to a reclamation booth!

I enjoy soloing and doing solo missions, but in order to do that the game needs more balance. When you can measure your next level in a few hundred thousand XP, you can't possible do it alone in a world filled to the brim with nothing but gray monsters! I think you need a bit more balance to the available targets. That doesn't mean you have to make them all pushovers to kill...just more accessible!

About Roots

One problem with roots is that it is hard to synchronize with you other teammates so that they don’t shoot your roots and break them. One solution is to have the root unbreakable for a couple of seconds after it is cast. This will allow time for lag and other team members to see the root and quit their attack.

If you think that is too powerful, add a version of the root that will put a shield around the target for a few seconds. While the shield is up, the target can’t attack or be attacked.

Arterous
    I don't want my MA to out heal a doc. So, once again, don't begrudge the MA the ability to heal "second only to the Doctor", just improve the MA and the doc, so they will be first and second. I would like my MA to heal faster then with a 7 second refresh rate. My MA is lvl 82, imagine how long I can tank, when I can only heal 400 points every 7 seconds.

An MA is st the top of the "hate" list for mobs, so we get instantly aggroed in a team with no other melee fighters. My MA seems to pull the agro, always, unless I'm with a level 82 Engineer an his ql112 warbot, then the warbot pulls the aggro 90% of the time. This means the ranged fighter might see the "Attacked by..." text once in a while, but the mob will stay on my MA.

If you didn't intend soloing, and the auto content mission system you designed for it, to be more rewarding than teaming. Why did you design a token system where the only way one can get the final board is to do nothing but solo missions for the full 200 levels of a character's life?
    Last edited by Mindswayer; Feb 13th, 2002 at 16:16:23.

You hit the nail on the head

[QUOTE]Originally posted by EvilGlitch
    If you didn't intend soloing, and the auto content mission system you designed for it, to be more rewarding than teaming. Why did you design a token system where the only way one can get the final board is to do nothing but solo missions for the full 200 levels of a character's life?

That has been one of my complaints, and I've posted it many times before. FC seems to think that performing solo missions is what the game is about, you get rewarded with a token board and a rank to go with it, for gathering those solo mission tokens.

Engaging in PvP is also only rewarding if you do it solo. Yoe get no PvP points if you get help from antone else. The game only rewards soloing.

In a team you get no exrta rewards, just XP. You can only loot every sixth body in a full team, so teaming is not for loot or credits. Teaming in a mission reduces the reward credits too, so , to solo a mission gives you more credits and you get to loot all the bodies w/o anyone being left out.

Oh, and if you team, if there is a higher level character in the team, you get less xp, even if you did 90% of the damage. So, once againadvantages of going solo. I'm not saying change the xp distribution, I like the fact that the low level hanger ons cannot suck up too much xp. Most times it is the higher level characters that do more damage, offer better buffs, defensive and offensive nanos, and basically allow the team to survive when reds show up as adds.
    Last edited by Kwangju; Feb 13th, 2002 at 17:19:38.

A different perspective

At lvl 163 I have never seen a group turn down a doctor EVER!!! As a MA I love a doc in the group because they heal better then I do and I'm using my top heal nano's. Besides, I'm a damage dealer, I don't mind healing but I didn't sign up to be Nurse Nancy either.

MA's are not the second best healer in the game, our heals are purely to slow for that recharge wise. I don't advocate 5 more heal nano's be added but the recharge is absurd considering what we are supposed to be as a class.

Min damage is killing us but so is max damage. We are gimped by our own crit buffs in pvp. All 5 weapons in the game that people use crit better then our fists. So yes everyone can get a crit buff but not everyone get's the same effect from that crit buff and MA's get the least effect. This is fists only not weapons, sure we could all wield hammers but that never appealed to me. Gaute if you don't want to make crit buffs MA only then not only fix our min damage but our crit potential so like everyone else we can kill even con players in 3 shots.

Martial artists are not supoort characters after all, we are like Enforcers with agility and finesse. People should be scared of us instead of using us as title fodder.lol

Oh and when ever this patch comes out please for the love of God almighty give us 2HE MA weapons. Katana's are MA weapons in the real world.

MA that doesn't play with Fixers

OK, this person has never looked at the fixer class

None of the proffessions has that many bugs as the ma:

- Minimum damage bug,
    - Ma weapons useless - laughable damage of the ql 200 ma weapons.
    - Ma attacks useless (damage too low, recharge time too high),
    - bows - low dmg, low criticals, bow special attack still broken.
    - many high level nanos broken or simply not working (cohort, horde),
    - nano resist broken
    Let's see... first of all, our only green weapon skill, SMG.... (amI missing burst or something, my fixer is very retired right now)

Nice you say? Sure, if it wasn't for the fact that any SMG that does decent (not even good) damage has things like assult rife, aimed shot and other deep blue skills as requirements. Sure, I can afford to bring those up... NOT

And how about ALL our nano skills being deep blue? Oh, yea, let me cast that QL 20 nano at lvl 30, it's reaaaaaly useful now.

Where are our greens? Trade skills, those wonderful, expensive, hard to get the parts for, utterly buged trade skills. Yea, like I can make a living with the current state of the trade skills... noone will pay half of what the parts cost for the few things that DO work..... and good luck finding those parts in missions, in matching QL's to put something together.

OH, and go over to the fixer forum, I'm sure there's tons of stuff I missed... I have a Advent and an NT who get to see the light of day much more than my fixer does, I think he's semi-retired at 14, awaiting some luv from funcom

MA's do have their problems, but come on, don't even try to cry on my shoulder and tell me you're the most gimped, not EVEN close

Re: MA that doesn't play with Fixers

Originally posted by speardancer
    OK, this person has never looked at the fixer class
    MA's do have their problems, but come on, don't even try to cry on my shoulder and tell me you're the most gimped, not EVEN close
    Tnx for the support!
    Teknolord, Rubi-Ka 1 fixer.

I have finaly found a breaking point to allow my characters to sleep. Ross knows I don't let them do it very often.

As I have a Doc and a Soldier, I am very pleased with my ability to play both. I find fun and challenging to solo with both. However, Paleraider loves his "Da Taunter", yet Docraider can't seem to get a mob off of him when he crits in team play. It would be nice to see doctors get some kind of nano that would direct the mob's attention elsewhere.

As for the gimped fixers, let them be. They are supposed to be a "Jacks of all trades yet a masters at none."

Good luck to all. I must wake my Doc. and get him back in action.

Death to Omni!

I fart in your general direction

Originally posted by Paleraider
    As for the gimped fixers, let them be. They are supposed to be a "Jacks of all trades yet a masters at none."
    We are THE MASTERS OF THE GRID!!
    I'm not sure what makes us THE MASTERS OF THE GRID, but we are. "Masters of none", my ass.
    We're also the Kings of run speed, Über-gods of SMG and Guardians of the Super Duper Cool Thingy.

/G13
    pirates. with lasers.
    Are you having an argument on the internet, again?

Gene13 - on a space odyssey since 2001
    XXX - N

Some day your ship will come in, but you will be at the airport.

Originally posted by Paleraider

thats the advent mate.

go read fixers description again, then you can come back and correct yourself
    My lungs arent blackened by tar, they're blackened by SIN!

Well said Gene13 and ReelBigFish

/me polishes her mausser and glares at those that would dare question her role as the "Mistress of the Grid"

That Super Duper Cool Thingy had better own or this mausser will ... *bites her tounge*.....

/me leaves thread
    Queen of the Ninjas

Slyyk - MUHAHAHA! Old Fixers never die, they just take a different grid exit.

Cosmik - And don't worry, Jorji. We've got FC love for everyone. It's stockpiled and going out the door.

Jorji's art page (some mature content )

zomg she finally got myspace lawls

fixers = the master campers, the masters of patience!

we have to camp for grid armour in game, and we have to camp our threads on the boards for funcom answers.
    other professions get given items and information, we have to work differently, trade skills and weeks of camping in game, or singing and weeks of bumping on the boards.

now I understand

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast