Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beginners Guide to the Trader Profession...

Beginners Guide to the Trader Profession...

This guide is just a small guide I wrote up for this profession... If you have any questions you can E-mail Me or ask me in game by tell

Guide down temporarily.
    Last edited by Arowen; Jul 27th, 2004 at 22:38:10.
    I saw a woman wearing a sweat shirt with "Guess" on it... so I said "Implants?"

Not a trader, but nice site.

Well done
    Wilfred "Dyrge" Belote
    Upstanding Atlantean Omni-Tek Employee
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing for money.

Knit
    Upstanding Atlantean Omni-Tek Employee
    Stims are nice and all. But one day your head will get blown off and you will think to yourself "Sonaofa....Why the hell didn't I bring a doc along."

Question

On your site:

"All wrangles are used to make you money that is all. Perhaps if you feel nice you can run them for your team while doing missions or hunting. Always think that one through and ensure you have Drained to your maximum capability before you do it."

How do you make money with that?

Alien hunter Shinya - nano engi
    In progress Rhinoceros - Atrox crat
    Rerolled - Spaceboy - Now neutral fixer
    Nearly there Tentonhammer - Former Squad Commander of Black Faction Take care out there guys

Money... :)

People give super nice tips for wrangles.
    Enforcer RK1 Paul Stutes
    Trader RK1Tradaholic
    Bureaucrat RK1 Crataholc

After camping Eumenides for 6 hours, the luxury shops for another 3 hours to find one less than 8 mill, I am now the proud owner of a new yalm

Ah, oke.

But of course they won't pay much for the lower level nano's that only give 3-10 points... so for now I'll just leave those things alone and stick to the shotgun

I think I might buy a Deprive or Ransack .. if I have money left after my armor and implants...
    Last edited by Tentonhammer; Mar 6th, 2003 at 05:55:43.

Nearly there Tentonhammer - Former Squad Commander of Black Faction Take care out there guys

bump

Just bumping this up so it can be seen again
    I saw a woman wearing a sweat shirt with "Guess" on it... so I said "Implants?"

yuo = forgot pistol
    Peek-a-boo I see you.

Arrow

Pistols really suck for traders before pop, the only exception being the twink custom reets in Foremans...those dont last long. Plus the implants stink when you depend on laddering at low levels. And thats just pvm.

Even pop isn't that great if you're not playing for the team in pvp and going for the solo kills like basically every other trader in the game seems to play. For that, you want range, fast specials and preferably aimed it seems.

So yeah, I wouldn't mention pistols in a beginners guide to traders either
    mercatura -ae f. [trade, traffic; merchandise]

Moved off-world and found real tradeskills...along with many other things

Only thing I disagree with is placing SI at the same rate of development as BM and MM. SI is very important if for nothing else its your calms and you can't calm worth a damn if its not maxed, which also means you have little hopes of soloing if you ever need to since you can't mezz and heal. I always kept PM TS and SI maxed.

BTW you don't mention Opi as a breed. Like I stated before if I were to start my trader over knowing what I know now with some 170 levels under my belt I would go Opi.

other then that its a good guide

~aqua
    Last edited by Aqua; Mar 12th, 2003 at 16:30:12.
    Kappen Token Trader of Project EDEN LV 217 mind numbing grinding since 1948 well it just seems that long!!!!!

Playing a Trader is like cyber S&M

---------
    "if you dont die in mass pvp your not doing it right"

I can't believe you give no advice on armor choice.

Video games, my anti-drug

Why would you choose Opti over Atrox or Solitus?

I know opti would give dribble down in agility to shotgun and ranged init, but does it make that big a difference at title level 6?

I'm thinking of making a trader, so am curious.
    LVL 220 Vanguard Out to pasture
    LVL 220 Eternalist researching
    LVL 220 Dictator Retired
    LVL 220 Field Marshal Resetting/twinking

LVL 220 Savior (researching)

Firetree Server, Horde of course

Yes, I was wondering about armor also. Because it seems a lot of good armor depends on Strenght, but I should specialize in Agility and Intelligence for my skills and attacks.

I would go Opi for the following reason

1. Agility Green
    2. Sense Green

having agility green moves you into str agil based armor a lot easier. Flowers is a very good armor until you get your abilities capped. Also agility and sense are no where close to being as easy to buff as Str and Stamina are. At breed caps there is only 8 points difference between Solitus strenght and opi strength and 16 points difference in intelligence.

Yes at high levels every point counts so that said having those two abilities trickle down into a lot of things that lines up with a trader functionality does help.

Sense Trickle down

Aimed Shot 100%
    Dodge 30%
    Duck 30%
    Evade 30%
    First Aid 40%
    Map Nav 40%
    Nano Init 60%
    Perception 70%
    PM 20%
    Range Init 40%
    Treatment 20%

Agility trickle down

Dodge 50%
    Duck 50%
    Evade 50%
    EE 30%
    First Aid 30%
    Fling 100%
    ME 50%
    Nano Init 40%
    Range Init 10%
    Shotgun 60%
    TS 20%
    Treatment 30%

that gives you 50% or more trickle down into a lot of skills a trader uses. Stamina is the same from Opi to Solitus. Although I can't find it documented and cant log into the game but I think sense is a major part of nano pool too.

Kappen
    Last edited by Aqua; Mar 13th, 2003 at 16:17:14.
    Kappen Token Trader of Project EDEN LV 217 mind numbing grinding since 1948 well it just seems that long!!!!!

---------

Originally posted by Meskulan
    I can't believe you give no advice on armor choice.

Armor is more breed related then profession related.

Atrox Str/Stam is the best for you. don't know what clan side has but for a PVP Character go Omni-Pol for PVM go Omni Elite

Opi Str/Agil or Sense/Agil that will give you the flowers line and the primus lines for Str/Agl and the whole steel line if you went Sense/Agl <-- not sure about going sense/agil thou.

Solitus can pretty much wear anything but they are kinda armor gimped since they have no green abilities

Nanomage Intel/psy so somthing like Waitt armor

BTW I only listed rollable armor I know there is uber armor in the game

~aqua
    Last edited by Aqua; Mar 13th, 2003 at 20:30:12.

---------

Im an Opifex trader at level 143 and apart from my nano pool not bieng as big as I'd like it to be ( used to my NM doc with massive nano pool) Everything is cool, pvp is still good, pvm I do just fine.

Not to rant or anything tho, I use a FDA caterwaul and the only thing that gets on my nerves is people not just asking me for wrangles before I even zone, its the bazillion tells for FG,ES,TTS,UA,SB. I guess I look like an agent without a sock on my head. But that's about it =)

Never had any problems with stamina and have it maxed as well as most other base abilities and have sh*t-tons of IP left still. Any breed is good for a trader, I dont care what anyone says - all the breeds have thier advantages and disadvantages even solitus has its disadvantage - not really having any advantages :P).

Just have fun and play whatever breed you can stand to look at when you log on and switch to 3rd person. I say pick who is most Secksay to j00 =)
    ~Ahyip/Storm~

Armor:

I always max stamina on all of my characters (HP is good)

Agility is 60% shotgun

---------------------------------

Thus, I love carbonum =)

But, for PvP, I think you'd want to mix and match str/agi str/sta armors and maybe even implant radiation or whatever if you're really low in certain departments.

Your biggest power is knowing ahead of time what damage types your enemies use.

Projectile/melee/fire/energy are probably the most popular, with radiation not being too far off.

And when in doubt, look up armors in Jayde's database, and use his armor configuration tool to figure out a good situation armor mixing wise.

The body parts modifiers are as follows:

chest X 4
    head X 3
    pants X 2. 5
    boots X 1. 5
    gloves/sleeves X 1
    Armor guide

If you have one set of armor that is lacking in radiation, and strong in chem, and another that is weak in chem and strong in radiation:

Armor modifiers add up to 14, so you want 7 in each armor type:
    chest + head / pants+boots+gloves+2sleeves

Or you could go glove + sleeve + sleeve + chest / head+pants+boots

Nothing though I think looks quite as snazzy as decus armor top + nomad armor pants. Not the greatest armor, but for looks its great.
    Last edited by Sepulcher; Jun 11th, 2003 at 18:52:47.
    Just because I have a metalic jaw, doesn't mean I've ever been in a 007 movie.

Opi ?????????? he he, well anyway at least being atrox I'm not as squishy
    Tergx 220 Atrox Trader | 220 Soli doc | 220 Enf & other toons
    Synergy Factor org ~ APPLY HERE

When readin replies in AO forums, just remember ........ there is no cure for stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Syyceria View Post
    Come on, it took me just 5 minutes to kill a level 178 MA with health-drains and trader pets...our toolset does work

Why dont we get this made sticky. I havent read the guide but none of the comments above seem to be rejecting it out of hand so it must be considerably better than the *nothing* we have to point newbies at.

Sticky the thread and further advice/info can be tacked on the end of it (having one sticky thread with profession info worked very well in the enforcer forum and cuts out a lot of basic questions).

Originally posted by Cydaane
    Ah, oke.

But of course they won't pay much for the lower level nano's that only give 3-10 points... so for now I'll just leave those things alone and stick to the shotgun

I think I might buy a Deprive or Ransack .. if I have money left after my armor and implants...
    drains are a some of most important nanos in a trader's life and wranglers use the exact same skills.

if you are not using the highest drains you can cast, you are making your solo life harder than it has to be and you are not giving your best to your teams.

if you are too cheap or poor to buy the nanos drom the shop ( traders get expensive quick ), then mission for the doggone things.

drains raise all your nano skills. you will be able to heal more and calm better and do better damage and raise your ac higher and regen your nanopool faster; better drains make everything else better.

since that sight is for noobs mostly, you should definately mention Stam/Agi. Any implant setup, no matter what proffesion can have all their implant based on Stam/Agi. But of course, a noob character wouldn't know that, so it should be noted.

One other thing, shining eye = rifle or AS always, even if you're not rifle Trader, to help get on the ql 40 Tsak +20 Agi rifle. -Angel
    We are Legion
    Freshman Karmic "Zengigas" Force - Gear - The Guru
    Rookie Kwisatz "Wierding" Haderach - Gear - The Kingpin
    Apprentice Antlered "Icegigas" King - Gear - The Enforcer
    Old Man Gigas' Guide to Twinking v. 2.0
    R.I.P. - Littleslayar & Frostgigas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast