Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The naming algorithm is terrible.

Looks like they put the original algorithm back and jumped ship :/

At some point can you tell us what the naming algorithym is ... ???

And/or which names were intended to be kept and which ones lost? With examples ...

So we can tell if it is/was "working as intended".

Perhaps you would get fewer petitions if we knew what it was supposed to do ... of course we know you will wait until post-merge.

Kinnik

Can't you just, like, you know, wait? They already said that they will not tell you what is being taken into consideration, and they already said they're working on it, and have been testing updates of it at least 3 times. Posting the same thing over and over, on something this ... inconsequential. Man, Relax.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    Can't you just, like, you know, wait? They already said that they will not tell you what is being taken into consideration, and they already said they're working on it, and have been testing updates of it at least 3 times. Posting the same thing over and over, on something this ... inconsequential. Man, Relax.
    While the actual naming algorithm isnt something to ask for right now, there is no reason to tell anyone to wait. We have waited, we have been relaxed. It has now gotten to a point where most of the forum posters doesnt even seem to care. While Im sure they are working hard on it, it does seem to take far longer than what we could expect when they in november 2012 said Merge might very well come last year.

I know I know, it didnt happen, but maybe they ought to reassure their customers on a new timeframe.

I doubt people consider character names "inconsequential". However, "testing" this aspect of the merge is an exercise in futility as long as the exact specifications are unknown.

Until FC decides to publish the exact algorithm (criteria and their weighting and order) everything is pure speculation and declaring "it works" or "it doesn't work" is a fallacy.
    Since FC doesn't want to give us that information, the following is true : move along, nothing to see here :P
    No further significant work is expected to be done on this project going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Bendaar View Post
    I doubt people consider character names "inconsequential". However, "testing" this aspect of the merge is an exercise in futility as long as the exact specifications are unknown.

Until FC decides to publish the exact algorithm (criteria and their weighting and order) everything is pure speculation and declaring "it works" or "it doesn't work" is a fallacy.
    Since FC doesn't want to give us that information, the following is true : move along, nothing to see here :P
    A name they can naturally get back via a simple petition in the accidental case where some lvl 1 toon got it instead.

How so? When the testing is done on their end, after all, what do you need any info for?
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

How so? When the testing is done on their end, after all, what do you need any info for?
    Because they asked us to test it and report any problems. That is pretty simple reason.

Specifically, the ability to define a problem requires parameters with which one determines if the result is in bounds or out of bounds. This is the basis of all QA and controlled testing. Without those parameters each person is assuming their own set of parameters/understanding of the system and reporting on them. FC is then left with determining which reports are actual problem and which are working as intended.

I understand that test server is also a place they want to see how we use and learn content but there are times like this that more information would be better for the testing process. People are doing the best they can with what they have but it clearly could have been handled better.

And since when is it a crime to ask for information if then result is your ability to provide more correct feedback is increased?
    Lheann
    President of When I Grow Up

Lhisa - MA - RK1
    MaxKillz - Enf - RK1
    Namaru - Enf - RK1

"If you find yourself loosing a fight, your tatics suck."

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    look i know reading is hard work, but all these questions have already been answered several times in this very thread.

And/or which names were intended to be kept and which ones lost? With examples ...

Quote Originally Posted by Ilaliya View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaar View Post
    Yeah and that would fail the reality check.

There's a couple of criteria by which this would have to be done.

Character creation date (older weighs higher)
    Character last activity (more recent weighs higher)
    Character total playtime (longer weighs higher)
    Character is on Premium Account (ie. paid weighs higher)

Probably even more criteria could be applied. A simple first-come-first-served will not do the trick here.
    These are more-or-less the criteria we used. I just think there is something wrong in the script. We're looking into it.

Look, this is the obvious stuff. Obviously high level old and well played characters will (should) beat out inactive below 15 characters. Where it gets tricky to is "my 6 month old character with 3 months played vs your 4 month old character with 4 months played." But none of the complaints are in that category, so as I said seems like something is still wrong.

Perhaps you would get fewer petitions if we knew what it was supposed to do ... of course we know you will wait until post-merge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vhab View Post
    So yeah, time to calm down a bit and put down the pitchforks.

The algorithm currently on testlive doesn't work as it's intended to.
    We're going to fix it. The next run should have better results.

That's why we have a test server, to test these things on a larger scale.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vhab View Post
    We're perfectly able to read bug reports without a riot.
    Last edited by Lazy; Feb 25th, 2013 at 19:49:37.

A name they can naturally get back via a simple petition in the accidental case where some lvl 1 toon got it instead.
    im glad petition queues are as short as they currently are. this incoming petition spam shouldnt be too lenghty process then.
    You hit Tarasque with nanobots for 18280 points of melee damage.
    First shade with Blades of Boltar
    ---
    How much is enough?
    Member of Halinallet!

Quote Originally Posted by Otansaanpas View Post
    im glad petition queues are as short as they currently are. this incoming petition spam shouldnt be too lenghty process then.
    Too bad that they can fix those things offline, so you don't have to wait.
    The Red Brotherhood

Too bad that they can fix those things offline, so you don't have to wait.
    Thats nice, but i wasn't being selfish and thinking about my petition queues alone.
    Every name change because of broken script makes everyones wait longer.

i sure hope its all good and script is working at satisfactory levels. :/
    You hit Tarasque with nanobots for 18280 points of melee damage.
    First shade with Blades of Boltar
    ---
    How much is enough?
    Member of Halinallet!

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy View Post
    look i know reading is hard work, but all these questions have already been answered several times in this very thread.
    You know Lazy ........ I am perfectly capable of reading posts to this thread.

Most of what you re-copied for us is vague and not specific, for example how much are each of the items weighted? I had eight names lost that should not have been lost if those rules were applied as indicated, so there is more to it than what was said.

"Working as Intended" needs to be better defined or there will be many petitions to put lost names back ... many of which could have been avoided if the specific naming rules are disclosed and many people will be waiting 4 hours or more to be told no they can't have their name back.

Kinnik

Well... make it your destiny to pester GMs/ARKs for rename-petition once merge is done... wear them out. That's my plan atleast They brought this upon themselves
    Jihnna 220/30/80 Shade
    Underworld

You know Lazy ........ I am perfectly capable of reading posts to this thread.
    are you sure?

Most of what you re-copied for us is vague and not specific
    (granted, this is from an earlier thread)

We have a method, that's been triple-checked for fairness. However, if I reveal it someone will probably figure out a way to game it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy View Post
    are you sure?

(granted, this is from an earlier thread)
    I read that one also ...

We have a method, that's been triple-checked for fairness. However, if I reveal it someone will probably figure out a way to game it.
    Those are the specific details I am asking for post-merge, so we know what was "intended" before we flood the GM/ARK's with petitions on Wednesday.

Did you notice that my prior post asked for details post-merge?

Kinnik

My name better not vanish today. A 220/70/30 vs level 30s. Rage awaits knowing how tested this has been.

Kinnik
    Now we have an answer .....

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...39&postcount=1

Thanks Ilaliya

Kinnik

any working bot where could check names?

I have ours up and running, but it does not find anyone with !whois unless the toon has logged in to the new server.

If you are looking for a new name, try starting a froob to see if name is available ... then delete the froob.

Kinnik

so how do a change the new temp name to a new name?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast