Page 1 of 14 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - May 1st, 2009

Funcom employee Friday with Means - May 1st, 2009

With today being a national holiday I will have to be content with time at home with my family and a possible trip to the beach...after the required daily trip to look at tractors to make my son happy.

To briefly sum up our efforts this week:

Balancing Efforts:

Metaing was in town this week (he is the only Designer at Funcom who works remotely) having flown up from Copenhagen to spend some time face-to-face with Genele working on focusing our balancing efforts for the 18.1 update. I think it is important to clarify at this point there will not be a "armageddon-uber-patch" that fixes every issue in the game for every profession. This would get huge and unwieldy and would likely result in unnecessary delays. We are going to work on small, concise and more importantly FAST updates. Going forward with every update we will be focusing in on a few very specific professions and profession issues and do our best to plan and implement a reasonable set of solutions. 18.1 will include specific adjustments to: Fixers, Ranged Adventurers, 1hb and 2hb Enforcers/Blunt users, and pistol users. First versions of these adjustments should be on TestLive enxt week so I will be wearing my peril-sensitive sunglasses and flame retardant teletubby costume as I follow the discussions on the changes.

Instancing Pandemonium

After discussion with the players our current plan is this: Pandemonium will be BOTH instanced and exist in its current state.

Pande raids will be able to run at the same time as they do now. Exactly the same. No locks, no change in respawn times.

A second "door" will exist for those who want an additional guild/team shot at Pande and the Beast that day. Pande will be broken into two instances: Pandemonium Instance and Beast Instance.

Having a detailed look at Pande has given us a chance to really dig into the potential to add more interesting encounters to the area...it won't be in 18.1 but I look forward to further flushing out this area with end-game content in the near future.

The Engine

Enno and his evil team of coders continue to beat their forheads savagely against the horrible code that is the old AO engine. Standard workflow is that new features/optimizations are developed and worked on in a "sand-box" type environment to avoid long painfull compile times and to better isolate the area they want to work on. As they get closer to a ready state, new work is merged into the full development client to see how it fares. This week work was done to bring in some optimizations of the animation and statel rendering systems to the "full" development AO client.

Spam

I spent one evening this week in game personally banishing spammers from the face of RK. Thanks to those who kept me company as I gagged then burned, exploded or extreme knockbacked these annoying people to oblivion. Was nice to meet you Hopscotch...one of our super-longtime fr00b players indulging his alt-itis on newbie island. Amazing how persistant the spammers really are. I feel better knowing that there is increased support team action on banning their accounts (70ish this week...I don't have the large credit figure here at home.) Work is also continuing on an automated gag system for this behaviour as well as a client side chat filter that will put the power back in the communities hands in 18.1. Right-click ignore in the chat is also in 18.1. *ahem*Hail Macrosun!

Have great weekend everyone!
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake
    Past Game Director (2008-2011)

Funcom employee

The German translation of this might take awhile. Not their fault but mine for not getting this to them yesterday. Sorry about that.

"First!"
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post

"First!"

oh noes we are pwned!

a quick question to Means: in FC office the used language is English or some Scandinavian? just curious

edit: i hope its more like a re-design of those profs/weapon users' toolset not giving out overpowered items.
    Last edited by Aramsunat; May 1st, 2009 at 08:35:44.
    * Cryborg Nano-Technician - Have a shoulder to cry on!
    Aramlash Fixer - Can't catch me!
    Aramsunat Engineer - 4 Blockers of the Apocalypse

Devil Inside

sounds neat, page 1 ftw

btw your a total loser if your not on page 1!
    Former Assistant Director of Pack of Noobs

Fake Friday with Means, and it worked!

im im .... makes u happy ? i sooo knew this was coming gj Means
    i knew the moment i saw u on the wedding ! (talking about the ranged love)
    Racsyka 220/30/70 The Adv
    Racsi 220/30/70 The MP
    Racsika 220/30/70 The Crat
    Racsence 207/30/70 The Fixer
    Racsreign 56/6/12 The Trader

President of Quetzalcoatl

bah cheater...

I will love the click and ignore button, it's really boring to
    select name CTRL+C
    /ignorer.txt CTRL+V
    [CLAN OOC]Spammedude : thanks!!!
    [CLAN OOC]Xeratrading : np
    [Curiousguys1] Hey how do you make that
    [Curiousguys2] Hey it that a script ?

I just wonder, will the acces to Redemeed/unredemeed statue be instanced too ?
    Xeratrading 220/26 NM trader|||Methalix 220/21 Atrox Enforcer
    Methaball 176/4 Atrox MP|||Xeradoc 150/16 Solitus Doctor
    Methafire 150/20 Atrox Soldier|||Xeradvent 121/10 Solitus Adventurer
    Xeranuke 186/17 Solitus Nano-technician
    Xeracrat 200/21 Solitus Bureaucrat
    President of ~~ Athalantes ~~
    Squad Commander of The Glowing Nightfliers

Edit: Reading it again it sounds like TNH isnt going to be instanced with these plans - im not impressed if that is the case i know a LOT of people who were hoping instanced pande would bring the prices / time taken to get a intel set down to attainable levels.
    Last edited by Enfizzle; May 1st, 2009 at 09:05:19.
    Enfizzle 220/30/70 Enforcer e
    Zdocta 220/30/70 Doctor e
    Nukizzle 220/26/70 NT e
    Engiz 220/30/64 Engineer e

So, means.

About that pandemonium instance. Is it going to take hours and hours and hours of fighting through crap mobs in order to get to TNH?

TNH being the actual most important mob in pande for most people, not the beast.
    I'm casting "Physical Dominance" on you as a kind of kinky thing
    ... also quite proud of being suspended from Lemmingnet.. for... not slacking?
    GOOD ONE.

Don't be lonely anymore.

Cant wait for instanced Pande uber fun! will keep me busy for a while !
    Lordran 220/30/70 Soldier, Equip

Enfoosz 200/22/42 Enfo
    Fixxet 170/21/42 Fixer
    Nanolin 165/15/42 NT
    Ilonta 150/18/36 Doctor, equip

Question:

Any progress or mention of when the fixing of sync issues will be addressed?

Quote Originally Posted by Enfizzle View Post
    Edit: Reading it again it sounds like TNH isnt going to be instanced with these plans - im not impressed if that is the case i know a LOT of people who were hoping instanced pande would bring the prices / time taken to get a intel set down to attainable levels.
    He said there'd be a Pandemonium instance as well as a Beast instance, so I'm not sure how you hopped to that conclusion.
    Member of Spartans
    Hacre/Solitus/Keeper/220/29/70 - Ninpopotamus/Solitus/NT/220/30/70 - Charmming/Opifex/Crat/220/30/70
    Quote Originally Posted by randomalpha View Post
    in the end soldier is not Op or even near from that never was never will be just for the record only keepers are the ones before soldiers on the nerfest list
    Genius at work.

in Instance Pandemonium will the mobs keep respawning like they do now or will it be changed so once they are killed they are gone? I dont expect a nice pleasent walk up to the Zods / beast quick kill n then get stuff n then back to afking but if they keep respawning it will mean smaller orgs like mine wont be able to make it to the beast n it will just be a extra farm zone for the big orgs who can already do ffa beast.

P.S.
    Enjoy your weekend at the beach

Quote Originally Posted by Hacre View Post
    He said there'd be a Pandemonium instance as well as a Beast instance, so I'm not sure how you hopped to that conclusion.
    Obviously TNH is not part of Pandemonium, everyone knows that Pandemonium is only the place where the Zodiacs are, then TNH is on TNH Island, and Beast is in Beastcave.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Funcom employee

TNH will be in the Pandemonium Instance. I explained that badly.
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake

The way I read it makes it sound like theres going to be the current pande raid system, and then an instanced pande raid with one lock, and then the beast fight with a seperate lock ¬_¬

pistol users.
    *Holds breath*
    i R not spik engrish

Thumbs down

A second "door" will exist for those who want an additional guild/team shot at Pande and the Beast that day. Pande will be broken into two instances: Pandemonium Instance and Beast Instance.
    SO like when will you add door @ newbie island that will lead to secret room with Yutto giving u 220/30/70 and chest with acdc/all nanos/ all armor in game etc?
    Rapped 220/30/70 Enforcer game over equip retired
    Rapzilla 220/30/70 Adventurer game over equip mr newb?
    Mayhemia 220/30/70 NT game over equip Fixer's best frand
    Rippli 220/25/70 Soldier new equip BS junkie
    Amazinghorse aka Rippped 170/24/42 Agent equip new OP tl5 tool
    Rappjr work in progress
    Rippped 207/30/70 Agent fastest AI30 Ever?

General of Quetzfags // General of The Asylum

¸,ø¤º°°º¤ø,¸,ø¤º°`¦°º¤ø,¸ tradalotrox's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rapp3d View Post
    SO like when will you add door @ newbie island that will lead to secret room with Yutto giving u 220/30/70 and chest with acdc/all nanos/ all armor in game etc?
    Well it's actually better making things instanced rather than using zergbots imo.
    I'm guessing that there will be a time lock on it so you can't just do endless beast/pande raids. Also a lock so you can't do back to back normal pande / instanced pande.

People who only want beast have to be dragged a long when a full run is done with the way pande works atm. This way people who want beast can do only beast.

Pande is already very easy as is, making it instanced will get rid of the need to wait for rl / let leechers win loot. (but if you do like that option you can still use zergbots)

P.S As a side note did you really enjoy farming 100 or so points for you BoC?
    Tiger Claw | Critical Mass
    Atroxical 220.30!69
    Nanrade0.,..219.,.27''''-.-

Quote Originally Posted by tradalotrox View Post
    100!? Mine cost like 400! And it was farmed uphill in the snow on 120 man raids that lagged the game to hell and wiped 5 times in each run! You praise yourselves lucky, newbies ;( to be even given the CHANCE to raid beast on your own is the holy grail of our forumwars 4 years ago!
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by tradalotrox View Post
    Well it's actually better making things instanced rather than using zergbots imo.
    I'm guessing that there will be a time lock on it so you can't just do endless beast/pande raids. Also a lock so you can't do back to back normal pande / instanced pande.

People who only want beast have to be dragged a long when a full run is done with the way pande works atm. This way people who want beast can do only beast.

Pande is already very easy as is, making it instanced will get rid of the need to wait for rl / let leechers win loot. (but if you do like that option you can still use zergbots)

y thats what i said, everything is so easy and nice now
    i just asked when that newb island portal will be added for totall easyness
    ... but tbh after that there wont be any fun in game left as everything will be easy to get and everyone will have all stuff easy so..
    Rapped 220/30/70 Enforcer game over equip retired
    Rapzilla 220/30/70 Adventurer game over equip mr newb?
    Mayhemia 220/30/70 NT game over equip Fixer's best frand
    Rippli 220/25/70 Soldier new equip BS junkie
    Amazinghorse aka Rippped 170/24/42 Agent equip new OP tl5 tool
    Rappjr work in progress
    Rippped 207/30/70 Agent fastest AI30 Ever?

General of Quetzfags // General of The Asylum

Page 1 of 14 1234567891011121314 LastLast